Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens (2354 Views)

How Prophet Christopher Owolabi Predicted The Leadership Of The 8th Nass / Tribute To A Late Brother/cousin / A Tribute To Rev. John Mark Ikpiki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 8:05am On Dec 16, 2011
[size=14pt]In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011[/size]

Christopher Hitchens—the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant—died today at the age of 62. Hitchens was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the spring of 2010, just after the publication of his memoir, Hitch-22, and began chemotherapy soon after. His matchless prose has appeared in Vanity Fair since 1992, when he was named contributing editor.

“Cancer victimhood contains a permanent temptation to be self-centered and even solipsistic,” Hitchens wrote nearly a year ago in Vanity Fair, but his own final labors were anything but: in the last 12 months, he produced for this magazine a piece on U.S.-Pakistani relations in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s death, a portrait of Joan Didion, an essay on the Private Eye retrospective at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a prediction about the future of democracy in Egypt, a meditation on the legacy of progressivism in Wisconsin, and a series of frank, graceful, and exquisitely written essays in which he chronicled the physical and spiritual effects of his disease. At the end, Hitchens was more engaged, relentless, hilarious, observant, and intelligent than just about everyone else—just as he had been for the last four decades.

“My chief consolation in this year of living dyingly has been the presence of friends,” he wrote in the June 2011 issue. He died in their presence, too, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. May his 62 years of living, well, so livingly console the many of us who will miss him dearly.

Source
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 8:13am On Dec 16, 2011
He will be missed.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Purist(m): 8:54pm On Dec 16, 2011
thehomer:

He will be missed.

Indeed. Only got to find out about his death a few minutes ago. RIP Hitchens. sad

#GodIsNotGreat
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 10:43pm On Dec 16, 2011
Discussing mortality, Hitchens and a friend used to muse that there would come a day when the newspapers would come out and they wouldn’t be there to read them. ‘And on that day, I’ve realised recently, I’ll probably be in the newspapers, or quite a lot of them. And etiquette being what it is, generally speaking, rather nice things being said about me.’ He shrugs. ‘Just typical that will be the edition I miss. But it’s not so much that; it’s more that you’re at the party and you’re tapped on the shoulder and told you have to leave. The party is still going on, but it’s going on without you. And even people who swear to remember you are not really going to do so.

Source

He had a sense of humour till the very end.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by DeepSight(m): 8:33am On Dec 17, 2011
^ You provide Canon fodder for the likes of Uyi Iredia and Enigma, who will insist that your atheism is a religion. For if it is not, just why o why is this tribute in the Religion Section?

Your only reason is the fact that Hitchens was atheist.

Pasting tributes to a late atheist (which tributes have nothing to do with his atheism) on a Religion Board amounts to affirming the arguments of those like Enigma and Uyi Iredia, who state that your militant atheism is indeed an evangelical religion.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 9:28am On Dec 17, 2011
Deep Sight:

^ You provide Canon fodder for the likes of Uyi Iredia and Enigma, who will insist that your atheism is a religion. For if it is not, just why o why is this tribute in the Religion Section?

Your only reason is the fact that Hitchens was atheist.

Other reasons include the fact that he is dead, he was also a champion of the evils of religion and he is also likely to be well known here among regular visitors believers and non-believers alike.

Deep Sight:

Pasting tributes to a late atheist (which tributes have nothing to do with his atheism) on a Religion Board amounts to affirming the arguments of those like Enigma and Uyi Iredia, who state that your militant atheism is indeed an evangelical religion.

No it doesn't affirm that. The claim of atheism being a religion is a different claim that is to be sorted out on its own merit. This has been tried on this board and has failed every time.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by DeepSight(m): 9:57am On Dec 17, 2011
As you well know, I do not subscribe to the idea that Atheism is a religion. I nevertheless state to you that your posts in this thread tend to affirm that argument.

In the tribute you extracted, there is little or nothing said about atheism. Other endeavours of the late Hitchens are focused on. I did not open your link, but at least based on what you posted up there, it was generally about his secular views and contributions. None of those have anything to do with Religion. It thus remains true that the only reason you paste this here is on account that the man was a celebrated atheist.

The atheistic position is one of denial - and as such the athiest has no business invading religious forums simply to make tributes to other atheists - even outside the context of their atheism! This reeks of the very way in which the religionists are accused of celebrating their Pastors and Leaders!

I repeat: this thread exposes you to the argument that your atheism is indeed an evengelical/ militant religion.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 17, 2011
It took death to turn Christopher into a believer.

What a tragedy of obstinate proportions.

How many more will become believers in death , but alas their belief is useless for they spent their lives scorning and mocking the creator and rejected their only hope which is Christ Jesus.

Widen up boys and girls. Life is short and there is hope today !!!!! Tomorrow may be too late .
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
Deep Sight:

As you well know, I do not subscribe to the idea that Atheism is a religion. I nevertheless state to you that your posts in this thread tend to affirm that argument.

In the tribute you extracted, there is little or nothing said about atheism. Other endeavours of the late Hitchens are focused on. I did not open your link, but at least based on what you posted up there, it was generally about his secular views and contributions. None of those have anything to do with Religion.  It thus remains true that the only reason you paste this here is on account that the man was a celebrated atheist.

How did you arrive at the conclusion of my motives given the fact that you've already said his other activities were focused on? Also, I've already given you other reasons why I posted this here. Even if I mention nothing about his activities regarding religion I still do not see how this somehow lends credence to the false concept of atheism as a religion.

Deep Sight:

The atheistic position is one of denial - and as such the athiest has no business invading religious forums simply to make tributes to other atheists - even outside the context of their atheism! This reeks of the very way in which the religionists are accused of celebrating their Pastors and Leaders!

Is there something wrong with celebrating the life of a notable person? Celebrating the life of an atheist in the religion section is not extraordinary. He did have some influence on religious believers while he was alive and will continue to do so in his writings.

Deep Sight:

I repeat: this thread exposes you to the argument that your atheism is indeed an evengelical/ militant religion.

Sorry but I do not see how it does expose me to the idea of atheism as a religion. Such an idea has to stand on its own merits not by some convoluted reasoning based on the celebration of the life of one who didn't believe.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
frosbel:

What a tragedy of obstinate proportions.

How many more will become believers in death , but alas their belief is useless for they spent their lives scorning and mocking the creator and rejected their only hope which is Christ Jesus.

Widen up boys and girls. Life is short and there is hope today !!!!! Tomorrow may be too late .

So he is now a believer in which Christian idea? Is it the Catholic one? Or the Baptist one? Or the view of the Jehovah's Witnesses? Or what?
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by mazaje(m): 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2011
frosbel:

Its always good to tell sweet lies for Jesus,no?. . .
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by manmustwac(m): 6:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
frosbel:

I heard on the radio yesterday that Christopher Hitchens died a stonewall athiest. So apart from your vivid imagination what proof or evidence do you have that he converted to a believer after his death?
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by alaper: 6:13pm On Dec 18, 2011
Christopher Hitchens was there in the frontline of the fight against superstiition and all the baggage that go with religion.  He will be surelly missed.  He made his mark though.  2 of his books adone my library.  He puts his opinions forward bluntly and with a lot of punch.  One of his best quotes I can remember: """" If religion were true, it will be like living in George Orwell's world, where the minutest details of your every action and every thought are monitored, and where you can be prosecuted for "thought crimes". Just weird!!"""""    He enjoyed his life to the fullest.  Maybe too much.  He was a chain smoker, and drank a lot.  He once joked he could not imagine life without parties and that second bottle grin grin grin  He left his mark though and I as a rationalist, will surely miss him.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 18, 2011
thehomer:

Is there something wrong with celebrating the life of a notable person?

Absolutely nothing. But wouldnt it strike you as weird if i posted a tribute to Margaret Thatcher on the religion section? DS's question was quite logical - the only reason a memorial to Chris hitches is here is because he was a well-known atheist . . .
Since Hitchens disavowed all religion, why is a tribute to him here instead of say the literary section which would be most appropriate?

thehomer:

Celebrating the life of an atheist in the religion section is not extraordinary. He did have some influence on religious believers while he was alive and will continue to do so in his writings.

What sort of influence? He was a well-known disbeliever and so? Did he radically transform religion?

thehomer:

Sorry but I do not see how it does expose me to the idea of atheism as a religion. Such an idea has to stand on its own merits not by some convoluted reasoning based on the celebration of the life of one who didn't believe.

Deep sight was very detailed in his analysis. Your response has mainly been incoherent.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Enigma(m): 7:10pm On Dec 18, 2011
I don't think there is any further debate whether evangelical* atheism is a religion. That evangelical atheism is a religion has been established conclusively a loooong time ago ---- from both intellectual as well as legal perspectives. smiley

Indeed what we now see is that evangelical atheism is even a fundamentalist religion! smiley

cool

* aka Militant/aggressive/fanatical/angry/fundamentalist/etc atheism.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 8:40pm On Dec 18, 2011
davidylan:

Absolutely nothing. But wouldnt it strike you as weird if i posted a tribute to Margaret Thatcher on the religion section? DS's question was quite logical - the only reason a memorial to Chris hitches is here is because he was a well-known atheist . . .
Since Hitchens disavowed all religion, why is a tribute to him here instead of say the literary section which would be most appropriate?

It wouldn't strike me as weird if Margaret Thatcher helped show the deep problems with religions.
I already answered this a few times. Did you read my responses to Deep Sight?

davidylan:

What sort of influence? He was a well-known disbeliever and so? Did he radically transform religion?

His work helped some religious believers examine their religious beliefs more critically. Since he was a well-known non-believer, religious people are and have been interested in his death. He doesn't have to transform religion for his views to be important in religion sections.

davidylan:

Deep sight was very detailed in his analysis. Your response has mainly been incoherent.

Maybe you think my response is incoherent because you found it hard to understand. Especially when one considers the fact that his charge basically had no merit.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 8:43pm On Dec 18, 2011
Enigma:

I don't think there is any further debate whether evangelical* atheism is a religion. That evangelical atheism is a religion has been established conclusively a loooong time ago ---- from both intellectual as well as legal perspectives. smiley

Indeed what we now see is that evangelical atheism is even a fundamentalist religion! smiley

cool

* aka Militant/aggressive/fanatical/angry/fundamentalist/etc atheism.

Once more, you wish to flog a pile of ancient horse bones. Keep going. Or you could simply check out this thread. For some reason, you and your accomplices failed woefully.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 18, 2011
A pathetically deceived lot !!!
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Enigma(m): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2011
thehomer:

Once more, you wish to flog a pile of ancient horse bones. Keep going. Or you could simply check out this thread. For some reason, you and your accomplices failed woefully.

Says Nairaland's Fundamentalist/Evangelical/etc Atheist-in Chief*! smiley

*aka Evangelical Atheist Religionist in Chief.

cool
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2011
Enigma:

cool

dont mind the confused fellow. He is probably not aware that the very presence of atheists STRICTLY on the christian boards is more evidence that militant atheism is simply a growing opposition to the christian faith in the disguise of "logic".
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by mazaje(m): 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2011
davidylan:

dont mind the confused fellow. He is probably not aware that the[b] very presence of atheists STRICTLY on the christian boards[/b] is more evidence that militant atheism is simply a growing opposition to the christian faith in the disguise of "logic".

Where does the word the "christian board" appear any where here on NL?. . . .
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by mazaje(m): 9:15pm On Dec 18, 2011
frosbel:

A pathetically deceived lot !!!

grin. . .A person that has been indoctrinated to believe in ancient Greek Jewish mythologies and folklore since childhood has no business calling others a deceived lot. . .
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 10:12pm On Dec 18, 2011
Enigma:

cool

When their arguments fail, they keep trying to drag others down to their level of gullible religious belief. Sorry, not interested.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Enigma(m): 10:16pm On Dec 18, 2011
^ "Not interested", yet the Militant atheist couldn't help jumping on a post that did not address him particularly! smiley

cool
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2011
davidylan:

dont mind the confused fellow. He is probably not aware that the very presence of atheists STRICTLY on the christian boards is more evidence that militant atheism is simply a growing opposition to the christian faith in the disguise of "logic".

Strictly on the Christian boards? You really flatter yourself.
I know that Christians have this sort of persecution complex but really, you guys need to learn to accept rational criticisms of your poor ideas.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2011
Enigma:

^ "Not interested", yet the Militant atheist couldn't help jumping on a post that did not address him particularly! smiley

cool

Weren't you referring to me? Or are you afraid that your usual terrible arguments will be exposed?
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2011
thehomer:

Strictly on the Christian boards? You really flatter yourself.
I know that Christians have this sort of persecution complex but really, you guys need to learn to accept rational criticisms of your poor ideas.

1. You truly flatter yourself if you think anyone is developing "persecution complex".

2. I would be VERY bothered and more inclined to think deeply about the reason for faith IF your criticisms were anything close to "rational". However, considering i would merely be swapping one irrational belief for another . . . i think christianity suits me just fine.

3. Just in case . . . i've been here 6 yrs and know the genesis of this very board. the muslim section was carved out specifically due to incessant murder threats against the mods. this section was reserved for christians and discussions centering around the christian faith and folks of different faiths who posted on the inappropriate boards used to be routinely banned.
YES this was the christian board . . . until it became a den for insecure folks crying about "rational" criticism that only seems to go one way. I never see these same hypocritical bunch bothering to go criticize the muslims.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Enigma(m): 10:32pm On Dec 18, 2011
thehomer:

Weren't you referring to me? Or are you afraid that your usual terrible arguments will be exposed?

Remember, you always end up running away ---- just like you were about to do with your penultimate post here.  wink

"Not interested" my foot; your apparent insecurity is what led you to reply to my post quoting me. My post was simply a comment following the flow of discussion, mate.

Fact is evangelical atheists are fundamentalist religionists ----- long proven; move on to discussing something else and stop wasting everyone's time.

cool
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 18, 2011
thehomer:

When their arguments fail, they keep trying to[b] drag others down to their level of gullible religious belief[/b]. Sorry, not interested.

Disgustingly stu[i]pi[/i]d. The MO for the fundamentalist atheist is the same tried and true trick - ALWAYS paint your religious opponent as intellectually inferior.

And exactly what extraordinary belief do you subscribe to? That the earth appeared by magic? It requires a lot more faith to believe that waffle, you're just too gullible to know it.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2011
davidylan:

1. You truly flatter yourself if you think anyone is developing "persecution complex".

You are. You've shown all the signs.

davidylan:

2. I would be VERY bothered and more inclined to think deeply about the reason for faith IF your criticisms were anything close to "rational". However, considering i would merely be swapping one irrational belief for another . . . i think christianity suits me just fine.

If you say so, Christianity probably suits you just fine. At the very least, you know on some level that your Christian beliefs are irrational. grin
Please keep it.

davidylan:

3. Just in case . . . i've been here 6 yrs and know the genesis of this very board. the muslim section was carved out specifically due to incessant murder threats against the mods. this section was reserved for christians and discussions centering around the christian faith and folks of different faiths who posted on the inappropriate boards used to be routinely banned.

Hooray. You know the genesis of this board. Maybe you need to release a book on it. D'aww. Sorry we crashed your party. cry

davidylan:

YES this was the christian board . . . until it became a den for insecure folks crying about "rational" criticism that only seems to go one way. I never see these same hypocritical bunch bothering to go criticize the muslims.

Are you afraid of a little challenge? Sure the criticism seems one-sided. It is probably because the Christians have no or very poor basis for their beliefs as has been regularly demonstrated.
Aww you think the Muslims are left out? Its just that they're not as active as the Christians. Besides, their board is simply too boring. I just leave it up to believers like you to take them on. I'm just surprised that you do not see you're in the same boat as they are.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 10:55pm On Dec 18, 2011
Enigma:

Remember, you always end up running away ---- just like you were about to do with your penultimate post here.  wink

"Not interested" my foot; your apparent insecurity is what led you to reply to my post quoting me. My post was simply a comment following the flow of discussion, mate.

Fact is evangelical atheists are fundamentalist religionists ----- long proven; move on to discussing something else and stop wasting everyone's time.

cool

As usual, when you're unable to actually address any points, you simply start making off point posts. Maybe you need a little something to help you stay focused.
Re: A Tribute To Christopher Hitchens by thehomer: 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
davidylan:

Disgustingly stu[i]pi[/i]d. The MO for the fundamentalist atheist is the same tried and true trick - ALWAYS paint your religious opponent as intellectually inferior.

This from the dull simpleton who thinks others are stu[i]pi[/i]d. Maybe you shouldn't be so self conscious of being intellectually inferior and learn to speak for yourself and not all religious people. Besides, you (davidylan) often do the trick of painting yourself as intellectually inferior.

davidylan:

And exactly what extraordinary belief do you subscribe to? That the earth appeared by magic? It requires a lot more faith to believe that waffle, you're just too gullible to know it.

No I do not believe the earth appeared by magic. Last time I checked, that was the sort of thing religious people believe - magic that is.

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Hates Catholic Church By David J Stewart / How Illuminati Collapsed T.b Joshua Church (scoan) / Irreconciliable Contradictions In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.