Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? (2525 Views)

Why do Nigerian Women Bear Their Father's Name, After Marriage? / Should Ladies Retain Their Surname After Marriage? / A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by ibis: 9:53pm On Sep 30, 2007
its an on-going fad in the western world,

do you think it is against African culture?

i know a few friends who hyphen their maiden and married names making it a compound name e.g Alele-Williams,

the argument is that so the woman at least retains her original identity to an extent ie it shows her true roots.

what do you think?
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 01, 2007
Hyphenated, double-barrelled names are pretty common these days, and not just in the Western world either.

I knew quite a few Nigerian ladies who had their maiden names hyphenated with their husbands, and both parties were happy with it.

I gave my fiancee the choice to hyphenate her maiden name with mine, but she's chosen not to. It's all about choice.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by almondjoy(f): 3:41pm On Oct 01, 2007
Whatever anyone feels comfortable with. It is not a rule of law and has nothing to do with the egos of individuals---choice!
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by MsHoneydro: 5:35am On Oct 02, 2007
Does it really matter? Does a woman's identity have to be based on a man, her father or husband? Why is a woman not entitiled to go by her birth name just like a man? Further, a woman taking her husbands name IS part of Western Christian tradition. It has nothing to do with African culture.

1 Like

Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by glorina: 12:52pm On Nov 03, 2008
theres nothing wrong with it
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by iice(f): 6:15pm On Nov 03, 2008
It's her choice. The best i can do is hyphenate.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by MsLurker(f): 6:23pm On Nov 03, 2008
I'd like to keep mine. If he complains then I'll hyphenate.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by lucabrasi(m): 7:42pm On Nov 03, 2008
for me i think it makes sense when her name has been identified with what she does before getting married i e movie stars,hollywood artistes e.t.c or ork related,or if she is from a high profile family and needs the name to open doors for her but if she s just a regular gir/lady/woman then i think its unnecesary women s lib
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Shaz(f): 8:03pm On Nov 03, 2008
It's nothing much really. Most people do it so they don't change their name completely. And for others, it's for re-union purposes. Like if my mum were to introduce her self to her former school mates who might not remember her face et al, she would use the 'hyphenated, double barelled lol name. Otherwise, she doesn't use her maiden name.

There's nothing wrong with it. Although, I don't think I'd do em. My surname is too long to be joined with another. . lol.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Gamine(f): 8:32pm On Nov 03, 2008
Not only will i discard my maiden name

i will ask my Husband to Rename me completely.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Ruddyface(f): 11:54pm On Nov 03, 2008
Gamine:

If I were he, let me guess the most suitable name: Razormouth, no Baracuda! grin grin grin
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by MrCrackles(m): 11:58pm On Nov 03, 2008
Ruddyface:

If I were he, let me guess the most suitable name: Razormouth, no Baracuda!  grin  grin  grin

Thank you my dear grin

Barracuda Elenu Nla is just awesome!! grin
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by TOYOSI20(f): 2:44am On Nov 04, 2008
. . . . . . .it wasn't done before me. . . .so why start now. . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by JamaicanQT(f): 4:40am On Nov 04, 2008
Blair-DuQuesney is so sweet grin grin grin
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by myndofgold(f): 5:06am On Nov 04, 2008
Reminds me of a "friends" episode where Phoebe decides to name herself Miss Banana Hammock.

I'm discardin my maiden name, but adopting my mother's maiden name.  grin
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by waleab: 11:23am On Nov 04, 2008
i no go gree at all. why her mama no use her gran papa name put for double barrel? oloshi alakori
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by vescucci(m): 12:01pm On Nov 04, 2008
Gamine:

haba, Gamine, what about the uneme family tree?
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Gamine(f): 12:32pm On Nov 04, 2008
Vesc,

It doesnt really matter,

My husbands family matters more.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2008
Gamine:

Vesc,

It doesnt really matter,

TGamine, na lie o

u must fight for Uneme wink

I'm not done stalking u
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by vescucci(m): 2:02pm On Nov 04, 2008
Gamine:

Vesc,

It doesnt really matter,

Now you don't really mean that do you?

If Baby_Jinx catches you. You'd be supper. Don't say I didn't warn you o!
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Gamine(f): 2:10pm On Nov 04, 2008
Whats so wrong about that?

Weren't we made for you guys

Why are so stressed about the hissue??
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by vescucci(m): 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2008
Whoa, chill, I'm just saying Sisi is a-prowling and a-looking for your kind to gobble up
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by Gamine(f): 6:10pm On Nov 08, 2008
hokay
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by A40(m): 1:48am On Nov 09, 2008
It should only be used on one condition if the maiden name and the husband's name are nice and not too long it can actually sound cool and exotic at times
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by LoveAlways(f): 11:46am On Nov 10, 2008
I think that when I marry, I will keep my maiden name because it's unique. I'm also an only child. I will also use his name as well.
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by abdurrazaq(m): 4:20pm On Nov 11, 2008
The change of Women name from their maiden names to their husband names (IMO) still portray the woman as Man's property. Come to think of it, those who scream Gender equality about will still support it anyway tongue

My wife will definitely decide whether to retain her maiden name or adopt mine cool
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by MrCrackles(m): 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2008
If the wife wants to carry her father's name all the time, even without mine, then fair enough

It would be the least of my worries to be honest!
Re: A Woman Retaining Her Maiden Name After Marriage? by drrionelli(m): 12:03am On Nov 12, 2008
I personally know of a couple who each took the other's name and combined it with her/his own! Each now carries the name of her/his own family as well as that of her/his spouse.

Personally, I feel it matters not. I consider that, when I marry, my wife will have me. Whether she wants my name is up to her! Actually, I'd somewhat prefer that she not take my name. She will be her own person, independent and blessed with a strength of her own self-worth. She'll have me--she won't need my name to prove who she is!

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Masquerade With Girlfriend - Shocking Photo!! / Nigerian National Animals / Ika Trail Blazers In The Last 100 Years Plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.