Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? (13667 Views)

The Most Lucrative Medical Specialty In The World. / Which I.t Certification Course Is In High Demand In The I.t World Now / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by Godbest(m): 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2011
Am totally confuse after sendind huge money on an I.T course,
And after concluding the I.T course
I find out the coure does not even wat any thing in the market
Can any one please tell me which course is the best,market demand ,and market seeking course.
That can be profitting?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by yamakuza: 7:47pm On Dec 16, 2011
^ Which school and which course was that?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by Godbest(m): 8:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
IT NIIT
FESTAC BRANCH LAGOS NIGERIA
angry
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by yamakuza: 9:19pm On Dec 16, 2011
I believe they have counsellors at NIIT who should have advised you adequately.

1. What and what was in the course content?

2. Are you interested in programming, networking, systems administration or graphics?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 8:25am On Dec 17, 2011
Godbest:

Am totally confuse after sendind huge money on an I.T course,
And after concluding the I.T course
I find out the coure does not even wat any thing in the market
Can any one please tell me which course is the best,market demand ,and  market seeking course.
That can be profitting?

You could have done better by opening a shop to sell garri.
It's not by force to do IT.

1 Like

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by chamber2(m): 12:05pm On Dec 17, 2011
Hmmm, NIIT.

I was there b/w 2008-2009. I did MCSE, and the training wasn't as expected. The only good thing i enjoyed was the conducive environment, coffee break and their books. NIIT books are among the best i have seen. The lecturers weren't that motivated, they appeared to me like people who struggled to get jobs in the mainstream IT field or telecoms but couldn't and then settled for NIIT. Most of them were paid b/w 30-50k

Op,

you appear to me like someone who is driven by money not passion. Finishing from NIIT won't make much difference in the IT industry. You need industry certifications, experience and robust knowledge of your field. I know you may have been told that employers would start knocking at your door upon completion of your programme at NIIT. Well, that is not the reality. You need to work hard and smart.

Get necessary certifications, build your network and hit the street.

1 Like

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by yamakuza: 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
^ which certifications should he i target for 2012 and beyond?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by Antimatter: 9:01am On Dec 19, 2011
It seems the OP has not gotten his priorities right. He should have asked these questions before going for the course. I know it is easy to say this but "Putting money first, is not the right approach".

yamakuza:

^ which certifications should he target for 2012 and beyond?

^^
Its not a function of certifications. He needs to make up his mind on the career path he wants to follow.
- networking
- programming
-application development
-database development\administration
- infrastructure/hardware
- security
-etc

He can seek expert advise from professionals in the field. When he has made up his mind, he can now acquire the necessary skills, experience, qualifications, certifications.

You can also access this link:
http://blog.cedsolutions.com/Blog/bid/73207/10-Ways-to-Get-an-IT-Job-in-2012
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by Antimatter: 9:06am On Dec 19, 2011
I got the post below from Techrepublic. Hopefully it should be useful.
This should also be applicable to Nigeria.

Takeaway: A new Computerworld survey indicates the nine IT skills that will be in demand in 2012.

Nearly 29 percent of the 353 IT executives who were polled in Computerworld’s annual Forecast survey said they plan to increase IT staffing through next summer. (That’s up from 23% in the 2010 survey and 20% in the 2009 survey.)

Here are the skills that the IT executives say they will be hiring for:

Programming and Application Development–61% plan to hire for this skill in the next 12 months, up from 44% in the 2010 survey. This covers the gamut from website development to upgrading internal systems and meeting the needs of mobile users.
Project Management (but with a twist)– The twist is that they’re not going to just be looking for people who can oversee and monitor projects. They also want people who can identify users’ needs and translate them for the IT staffers-the increasingly popular business analysts.
Help Desk/Technical Support–Mobile operating systems have added a new dimension to help desk and tech support.
Networking-This demand is being fueled partially by virtualization and cloud computing projects. The survey also revealed that execs will be looking for people with VMware and Citrix experience.
Business Intelligence-Computerworld interprets this uptick to a focus shift in many companies, from cost savings to investing in technology. That will be nice if it pans out that way.
Data Center-Virtualization and the Cloud could also be behind the increased need for IT professionals with backgrounds in data center operations and systems integration.
Web 2.0-Tech skills centered around social media will be in demand, with .Net, AJAX and PHP as key back-end skills, with HTML, XML, CSS, Flash and Javascript, among others, on the front end.
Security-Although down from 32 percent in the 2010 survey, security stays a top concern of IT executives.
Telecommunications-The survey indicates a demand for people with IP telephony skills, and for those familiar with Cisco IPCC call center systems.

2 Likes

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by chamber2(m): 9:06am On Dec 19, 2011
^^^^

Exactly. He seems to be wandering. He is yet to identify an IT path for himself and yet blames NIIT for his predicaments.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by NegroNtns(m): 11:04pm On Dec 20, 2011
Database management and or Wireless Telecomms.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by Godbest(m): 2:13am On Feb 01, 2012
thanks a lot antimat, and all comrade in the house
Your advices were great and resourceful,.
I have finally gotten the big shot it SAP and d center is at abuja
sap is one of those lucrative courses that are demanding like prince2
once again thanks a lot cool kiss
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by yamakuza: 2:21am On Feb 01, 2012
^ Congrats! Glad we could help.

Thanks for the feedback.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 7:37pm On Mar 17, 2012
If you are in Nigeria, just go for CCNA wireless. I foresee better things coming in that direction cos the infrastructure to deploy cabled internetwork is just not realistic. Wireless technology will be the order of the day with the introduction of various hotspots around the country to service teeming internet enthusiasts.

1 Like

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 5:51pm On Mar 18, 2012
Another 'I dey find money' thread embarassed
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 6:04pm On Mar 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: Another 'I dey find money' thread embarassed

Lol, we no go chop?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 6:10pm On Mar 18, 2012
^^
We have been 'chopping' for 50+ years, and still never belleful.
But seriously, why do people not have any passion or desire to do anything? I've met Africans from poorer countries, and they seem to have desire to live life. For Nigerians, it seems like it's just one long mad hustle. Nobody has anything interesting to say about their profession, or what motivates them. It is either people are become what they are obviously not, or complaining about their choices.

Quite tiring.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 6:14pm On Mar 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: ^^
But seriously, why do people not have any passion or desire to do anything? I've met Africans from poorer countries, and they seem to have desire to live life. For Nigerians, it seems like it's just one long mad hustle. Nobody has anything interesting to say about their profession, or what motivates them. It is either people are become what they are obviously not, or complaining about their choices.

Quite tiring.

Do you know how many passion this useless entity called Nigeria has killed? Nowadays, people devise opportunities to position themselves in 'moneyways'.

1 Like

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2012
denzel2009:

Do you know how many passion this useless entity called Nigeria has killed? Nowadays, people devise opportunities to position themselves in 'moneyways'.

That's where people make mistakes. Nigeria is not killing people, or passion. People are the ones killing people, and killing passion.
And guess what, people live in shittier places than Nigeria. I wonder if you had to live in Afghanistan. I have seen it, and it ain't pretty. In fact, many Nigerians need to spend some time there, and they will sober up.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 6:32pm On Mar 18, 2012
AjanleKoko:

That's where people make mistakes. Nigeria is not killing people, or passion. People are the ones killing people, and killing passion.
And guess what, people live in shittier places than Nigeria. I wonder if you had to live in Afghanistan. I have seen it, and it ain't pretty. In fact, many Nigerians need to spend some time there, and they will sober up.

You think a trained welder who can't practice his trade would agree with you?

Yeah, Afghanistan has its own problems too.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 6:44pm On Mar 18, 2012
denzel2009:

You think a trained welder who can't practice his trade would agree with you?

Yeah, Afghanistan has its own problems too.

Therein lies the irony.
If welding isn't working . . . why not find something else to do? Life is too short.
I'm sure even in the USA, there are some welders who can't find work. And in Nigeria, some welders are getting too many jobs to do. In fact, most welders I know have problems finding anybody who even wants to learn how to weld embarassed

Not to mention the guys who want to weld their way to an Ikoyi mansion sad I mean, the guys who come and start topics like 'How lucrative is a career in welding?' on Nairaland. undecided Duh, it's welding. Just like it's IT. IT will not guarantee you wealth. It can guarantee you a living though, that is if you take time to learn it. Most 'IT people' in Nigeria have nondescript skills. They want to know how much in salary every single certification they write will fetch them. Mind you, certification, not skill.

2 Likes

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 7:40pm On Mar 18, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Therein lies the irony.
If welding isn't working . . . why not find something else to do? Life is too short.
I'm sure even in the USA, there are some welders who can't find work. And in Nigeria, some welders are getting too many jobs to do. In fact, most welders I know have problems finding anybody who even wants to learn how to weld embarassed

Not to mention the guys who want to weld their way to an Ikoyi mansion sad I mean, the guys who come and start topics like 'How lucrative is a career in welding?' on Nairaland. undecided Duh, it's welding. Just like it's IT. IT will not guarantee you wealth. It can guarantee you a living though, that is if you take time to learn it. Most 'IT people' in Nigeria have nondescript skills. They want to know how much in salary every single certification they write will fetch them. Mind you, certification, not skill.

I understand where you are coming from. Do you realize you can easily switch jobs in USA/UK unlike Nigeria. I have seen chefs turn to Network Engineers and vice versa. These can't happen in Nigeria, you can't easily switch. The environment is not enabling.

There's also dignity in labour here, you'll see a security guard driving a porsche cayenne while a banker is hopping on buses. These can't happen in Nigeria thats why these guys are gunning for these so called lucrative careers.

What I tell people is if they are going for these so called lucrative careers such as IT, they should learn the rudiments of these technologies. I have heard of so many CCNAs that don't know what an OSI model is.

I don't discourage people who position themselves in a course to get ahead financially so far they learn the skills.

1 Like

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 8:34pm On Mar 18, 2012
^^
Ogbeni,
How many security guards do you know personally in London driving Porsche Cayenne? Haba. That one na fallacy.
The banker hopping bus doesn't mean he doesn't have a jag parked in front of his flat in Victoria.
How that one stops welders in Nigeria from facing their welding job beats me. Or aspiring IT people, for that matter. Read up the thread, check out Antimatter's posts. I'm not the only poster who has criticized the OP.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 8:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: ^^
Ogbeni,
How many security guards do you know personally in London driving Porsche Cayenne? Haba. That one na fallacy.
The banker hopping bus doesn't mean he doesn't have a jag parked in front of his flat in Victoria.
How that one stops welders in Nigeria from facing their welding job beats me. Or aspiring IT people, for that matter. Read up the thread, check out Antimatter's posts. I'm not the only poster who has criticized the OP.
I know a few of them. 2003 reg is not too dear on autotrader. Thats by the way sha!

It's only investment bankers that get paid well, those in retail just get by.

Anyway, do you think it makes sense economically to weld or do any business on a power generator?

So, what do you suggest people do instead of looking for a lucrative career?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by AjanleKoko: 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2012
denzel2009:
I know a few of them. 2003 reg is not too dear on autotrader. Thats by the way sha!

It's only investment bankers that get paid well, those in retail just get by.

Anyway, do you think it makes sense economically to weld or do any business on a power generator?

So, what do you suggest people do instead of looking for a lucrative career?

Thanks for clearing it up.
Well, there are lots of people doing business and getting by on power generators. Not just welders (welders by the way use gas, not electricity in Nigeria, at least most of them). Tailors, people who sell frozen food, etc.

Looking for a lucrative career in Nigeria is kind of like looking for the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I haven't seen too many rainbows, talk less of pots of gold. Oil, banking, and telecom, altogether cannot employ 100,000 people directly in Nigeria. As technology and recession makes business leaner, that number is going to shrink eventually.

There's nothing wrong with aspiring to a lucrative career, but, hey . . . we all know you have to start from somewhere. People need to stop doing things they're not suited for, or don't have any real ability in. A career needs to be built.

2 Likes

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by denzel2009: 10:37pm On Mar 18, 2012
^^^ May God give you more wisdom and understanding.
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by ayaba(f): 10:41pm On Mar 18, 2012
Learn to build professional websites in 4 weeks

Training on website Design, Web development and PHP
Learn to build social networking sites like facebook and forums such as nairaland
And how you can make money on them .No templates.
Date : 27th March 2012
Venue : 19 Tokunbo Alli street , Off Toyin street Ikeja

Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by bosaonline(m): 10:16am On Jan 01, 2013
The most lucrative business is "Technical Support" but the most profitable is "Software Development".

If you can do both, you would make a fortune but if you are a one man team, start by developing one software for a cheap cost or even free then factor in support fees for using it. Ensure the software meets one need for both the middle class and high class citizens of Nigeria and you'll never be poor.

If you are to do a training programme, learn the skills of computing on your own first. After that, you can achieve anything. Get a good laptop and make friends with a professional. Serve him for years until you are good enough. When, you're good, take a training course and your future is sealed.

Good luck!
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by pinkyruledworld(m): 11:24pm On Dec 22, 2015
AjanleKoko:
^^

Quite tiring.
Bro e good make person get passion, but person wey wan do architecture wey jamb dey give am agronomy, shey e no go do am after him don siddon 4years for house?
Re: Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable? by chinedu23(m): 7:37am On Sep 03, 2016
AjanleKoko:

You could have done better by opening a shop to sell garri.
It's not by force to do IT.
if u don't any tin to say just keep quiet its not must u will comment. someone needs help and u are suggesting rubbish.

(1) (Reply)

The Nairalife Of A Mother Of Two Who Is In Between Jobs / Workplace Sexual Harrasment / EFCC Uncovers 1000 Ghost Workers In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.