|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 1,992,429 members, 4,203,214 topics. Date: Monday, 23 April 2018 at 10:46 AM
|Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 10:49pm On Dec 16, 2011|
Please continue posting your questions/enquires here, part1 has reached and passed 100 pages.
See part1 here for references http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-331618.0.html
. . .sorry for the inconvenience. . .
. . . . .>>>Update . . . .>>> (from ell77)
CHANGE: Further changes from April 2012
From April 2012, the following changes will also be made, as previously indicated in the statement of intent published on 31 March 2011:
• Work placements - these will be restricted to one-third of the course, unless the course is at degree level and the sponsor is a higher education institution or the student is on a study abroad programme.
• Time limits in Tier 4 - we will limit the time students can spend at degree level to 5 years, with certain exemptions for longer courses and doctorates at higher education institutions.
• Tier 1 Post-study work - this will be closed from April 2012, however we will retain a route into sponsored graduate employment through Tier 2 of the points-based system.
1 Like 5 Shares
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 17, 2011|
Hello Justwise, pls I'll like your advise to this. I've been granted an oFfer letter to study in the uk and my sponsor is ready to pay the deposit the skool required. My problem here is with my statement of account showing the rest fees and maintenance. The uk embassy requires the bank statement be in my name or my parents name. But my mum doesn't bear the same surname I bear, but she's my mum but isn't married to my dad. I don't have a birth certificate to prove it but I can go about getting the birth certificate to prove this. All these is to prove to the embassy that she is truly my mum even though she bears a different surname. I'll like to also know if getting a new birth certificate will be ok and they wouldn't think otherwise that I did it specifically for this application. Pls advise me on how to go about this. Thank you justwise
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 9:44pm On Dec 17, 2011|
Transfer the money to your account.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 17, 2011|
Its too late for transferring cos the skool resumes soon and waiting for another 28days wouldn't be cool,
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 9:53pm On Dec 17, 2011|
If u are getting a birth certificate. . . are u going to change the surname in your passport to match the one in birth certificate?
2 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 17, 2011|
I have always been bearing the same surname right from birth, Which is my dads surname. And its the same name I have on my passport. My mum bears a different surname, If I'm going about getting the birth certificate, will I also need an immigration lawyer when submitting my application to vouch for me on this?
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 10:07pm On Dec 17, 2011|
There is nothing an immigration lawyer can do, don't waste your money on that, you and your mum should share the same family name, that is the immigration rule, only if your mum is going to change her last name to that of your daddy.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 17, 2011|
Do you mean she should change her name just cos of my application? Isn't that weird?
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2011|
Sounds weird but if you want to use her bank statement for the visa application then both of you should share the same family name then your birth certificate will be a proof.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 17, 2011|
Ok. The only option I have is to have the money transferred to my personal account. Time doesn't seem to be on my side, but I'll give it a trial and wait for 28days before printing out, and I hope it doesn't affect me cos I'll be submitting my application late, Justwise I'll like to clearly understand this 28days sitting thing. Can I withdraw the fund after 28days or it must remain there during the period I send my application to the embassy. I dlearly understand the fund has to be in my account for 28days without touching it, but can I withdraw after that? Or must d fund remain even after the 28days sitting? Must d fund still be in my account during the visa processing
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 10:43pm On Dec 17, 2011|
When is your school resuming?
Yes the money has to be there throughout the processing and you will need the money in the UK, don't just risk it.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by muhdT: 8:12am On Dec 18, 2011|
Hello to you all.
Am new here and i need your advice. I applied to horizon school of business, london through my friend in london and i was given admission. I have paid the initial deposit fee in order to secure a place which i was given CAS, Invitation and Fee details letter. He told me to go for TB test that is part of the requirement for student visa. Is that so?
Furthermore, am a orphan and i don't have much in my account to show sufficient fund to BHC.
My uncle stand as my guardian all these while and am using his company statement of account and other bank details BHC might required for student visa because he doesn't have much in his account to show up for the visa.
The problem here is that we don't share the same surname nor any name together.
Please what is your advice and suggestion for me.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by worry246(m): 9:14am On Dec 18, 2011|
You have problems!
It has been said on many many posts.
Use of a buisness account is often not possible.
Immigration will take it that a buisness account belongs to the company and not your uncle.
They often reject for that reason.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by muhdT: 9:22am On Dec 18, 2011|
What will be your advice for me. Should i look for someone that can back me up with bank statement and add it with supporting letter and document that the sponsor is my guardian.
What did you think please.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 9:36am On Dec 18, 2011|
. . . from ell77. . .
UPDATE JULY 20 (previously updated 15th July):
BEFORE YOU POST YOUR QUESTION PLEASE READ THIS FAQ SUBMISSION:
What exactly do I need according to UKBA to apply for student visa (enabling more than six months full time study in UK)?
40 points consisting of the following:
• A confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) reference number (used to be visa letter), from a UKBA approved education provider (called your sponsor to make sure your course provider qualifies) and all documents used to obtain it stated in the CAS letter you received (any documentary evidence provided should be original unless otherwise stated). The course must be at an approved level (level 3 or above on NQF or equivalent in most cases). Universities electronically fill a UKBA database holding your CAS number and the documents used to assess you. If there is a discrepancy between the database and what the university told you when giving your CAS number the UKBA has the right to reject you as the onus is on you to provide the evidence not the university. This is not a good part of the system and UKBA so err on the side of caution and include all documents you submitted to apply for the course itself even if not listed on the CAS letter - more is better than less. If you only include what was on the CAS letter, it is likely this will be overlooked especially if the document type missed has been regarded by UKBA as being easily/frequently faked or not requested by universities.
This equals 30 points.
• You must have evidence the maintenance costs of your education, have been held for at least 28 consecutive (continuous) days AND the date of the closing balance must not be more than one month before the date the application was lodged at a visa application centre. Maintenance costs your course fees (first year) and living costs (living costs for nine months and above are estimated as £7,200 for inner London and £5,400 for outside inner London). Under the points based system, UKBA cannot reject you because money came in suddenly from elsewhere, it is for non points based applications like general visitor and family visitor that the UKBA may question you more on the source of these funds. You must write your OANDA conversion rate (from www.oanda.com) and amount this equals in Pounds Sterling for the day you are applying for your visa on the statement of accounts (currenty adding this point to my fist post). This equals 10 points.
You must of course fill in the relevant form (correctly, get help if needed) and arrange to record your biometric information (photograph and fingerprints) with UKBA. See UKBA website for further details on photograph requirements and Biometrics.
How long does it take to get the visa?
In May 2011 the following statistics were recorded for the Abuja office where all applications (including Lagos) are forwarded to or you can apply here directly. Please note days here refers to working days i.e. 10 days is NOT a week and a half here, it is 10 working days meaning 2 weeks.
373 applications were processed this month.
39% of applications were processed within 2 Days.
53% of applications were processed within 3 Days.
64% of applications were processed within 5 Days.
88% of applications were processed within 10 Days (2 weeks).
95% of applications were processed within 15 Days (3 weeks).
99% of applications were processed within 30 Days.
100% of applications were processed within 60 Days (3 months).
This shows whilst some people are lucky to get back a response the same day they apply the vast majority here back between 2 weeks and 3 weeks of their application deadline and no one should really hear back after three months. If applying from Lagos, it may add 2 extra days to ship your application to Abuja. Previously, applications were processed in Lagos also, so applications here were considerably quick for many, but this was abolished some time ago it is at your discretion for which to use.
How much is the visa?
N66,300 correct July 15th 2011
Do I need accommodation to apply for the visa?
No you are not required to under UKBA assessment, you must shoe you have the funds to pay for accommodation. Any accommodation you arrange you must have a receipt for so that this amount can be deducted from your total cost of maintenance. It is often cheaper to stay with family and friends or in a hostel first and then find someone who has a room to let to students. DegreeAngel UK Ltd assists its students in finding such deals. Halls of residence are often expensive depending on the city and may lock you into a permanent one year contract.
For my funds can I use another person’s money/account?
Yes, under certain circumstances, this “person”, must either:
• Have paid the money into your account which is held there for at least 28 days OR
• Be an official financial sponsor with letter and/or statement of accounts (i.e. a bank offering you a loan or an international company offering a scholarship/loan, please see Tier 4 policy guidance for who is classed as an official financial sponsor) OR
• Be your parent, and hold enough money to gain the maintenance points you need, you must provide evidence of the money in your parent’s name together with the link between the parent(s) named in the document(s) and yourself. A letter confirming your parent(s) named in the document(s) give permission for the you to use the money also be provided by your parent(s). Unfortunately, brothers, sisters, aunts etc do not count unless they legally have adopted you in court.
For any of these sources of other people’s money, if the amount of money doesn’t equal the full amount needed for maintenance points, you must show that you have the balance of funds necessary using appropriate evidence (bank statement including balance of account).
OFFICIAL FINANCIAL SPONSOR
An 'official financial sponsor' is an organisation that supports you to study in the UK by giving you money to cover PART or ALL of your course fees and your living costs. The UK government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or UK independent school can be an official financial sponsor.
Can I bring my dependents? If so must I apply for them at the same time I apply for visa and what benefits does this hold?
UKBA prefers if you provide information on the names of any dependant who is applying at the same time as you are on your form (although each dependant must complete a separate PBS (Dependant) form normally at a reduced fee if submitted at the same time as the Tier 4 form if a spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, or child under 18 of the yourself). Furthermore the dependant’s application must be made at the same time as the student’s application. Dependant applications that are submitted at a later date and/or applications for dependent children who are aged 18 years or over incur full charge but this does afford you time to raise money to bring the dependent over. Remember £600 per month (inside inner London) or £800 per month (outside inner London) up to a maximum of 9 months needs to be proven to be held for your dependent living costs. However, if you have an established presence studying in the UK you only need to prove up to a maximum of 2 months. Once your dependent come to UK they are eligible to work but only if your course of study is not below degree level, (unless foundation degree course), or less than 12 months leave given to yourself (unless Government Sponsored). Work can be obtained for yourself and your dependents through www.degreeangel.co.uk
Student with established presence
A student has an established presence studying in the United Kingdom if:
• He/she has completed a course that was at least six months long within their last period of leave, and this leave finished within the last four months; or
• He/she is applying for continued study on a course where he/she has studied at least six months of that course and has been studying within the last four months; or
• He/she is applying to continue in Tier 4 as a Sabbatical Officer or as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist and he/she has completed a course that was at least six months long within his/her last period of leave, and this leave finished within the last four months.
Should I include my previous applications for visas? Will it go against me if they are failed applications?
All UK Home Office applications are given an individual reference number to track and link past applications. You should provide details of past applications and Home Office reference number if you have it (found on any previous Home Office correspondence relating to the student). This submission will only go against you if you have been refused for fraud or criminal activity before, have overstayed in a previous visit, have been deported, have had a previous criminal conviction against you whilst abroad. MOST PEOPLE have failed applications due to errors in their forms or lack of supporting documents or evidence of funds and the UKBA is happy to accept student sin the UK with such backgrounds without prejudice. Indeed, the average Nigerian accepted into the UK has come in after being rejected before.
After my degree in UK what next for employment?
One obvious answer (and easiest), is to go back home to Nigeria or perhaps to stay in UK to do another university course. But for various reasons you may prefer to stay in the UK to work (paying back debts, not able to secure a job with your new international degree, not able to save enough for another course, not able to get a grant/sponsorship for a course etc). Here are your best fund producing options:
1) Apply for Post Study Work Visa (PSW)
Where you must score 95 points and meet all the other requirements of the Immigration Rules (i.e. no using public funds, no overstaying, fraud etc see UKBA website).
Your score must consist of:
- 75 points for your attributes, which are a UK qualification, study at a UK institution, your immigration status during UK study and/or research (being a Tier 4 general student), and the date of award of the qualification (apply with original certificate and original letter on official letterheaded paper, stamped/sealed by the UK institution confirming award of your qualification at least one month before your leave runs out and as soon as you can after receiveing your degree); and
- 10 points for English language; (satisfied by studying in the UK) and
- 10 points for available maintenance (If applying from within the UK, balance must show you have had at least £800 in your account at all times over the three-month period. If applying from outside UK, balance must show that you have had at least £2,800 in your account at all times over the three-month period. Evidence must be in the form of cash funds. If you wish to rely on a joint account as evidence of available funds, you must be named on the account along with one or more other named individual(s). For applications made either in the United Kingdom or overseas, all evidence must be dated no more than one month before the application is submitted. Do not overstay it is better to go back to Nigeria and round up the £2,800 than do this).
Upon receiving your PSW, you are entitled to work for up to 2 years in the UK for any company and/or carry out business/self employment activities (rarely less time than 2 years is given). Previously, you were able to switch when possible to Tier 1 general, the most popular conversion to go on your way to permanent stay, but this has been stopped by the government. You are now face with one of two options for the vast majority:
2a) Tier 2 General also known as Work Permit visa
The Tier 2 (General) category is for foreign nationals who have a skilled job offer to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker.
Before you apply under Tier 2 (General), you must have:
- a sponsor; and
- a valid certificate of sponsorship.
When you apply, you are awarded points based on your:
- salary and allowances;
- English language skills; and
- available maintenance (funds).
FOR THIS CATEGORY YOU MAY ONLY WORK FOR YOUR SPONSOR.
2b) Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
Actually you can switch in this category straight from Tier 4 student visa also! You must score a total of 95 points and meet all the other requirements of the Immigration Rules.
- Access to investment funds (25 points): You have access to not less than £200,000 or access to not less than £50,000 from:
* 1 or more registered venture capital firms regulated by the Financial Services Authority;
* 1 or more UK entrepreneurial seed funding competitions listed as endorsed on the UK Trade and Investment website, or
* 1 or more UK government departments, which have made the funds available for the specific purpose of establishing or expanding a UK business.
For details of venture capital firms and seed funding competitions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as we are in the process of obtaining funding for entrepreneurs.
- These funds are held in 1 or more regulated financial institutions (25 points)
- These funds are disposable (free to spend) in the UK (25 points)
- English language: 10 points: You can speak English to the required standard
- Maintenance: 10 points: You have enough money to support yourself while you are in the UK
You and 1 other person can form an 'entrepreneurial team', which means that you can both apply under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) and score points for access to the same investment funds. Both of you must have equal access to and be able to dispose of the money freely in the UK. If either of you has successfully applied under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) with any other applicant in the past, based on the same funds that you are using in this application, you cannot form a new entrepreneurial team with those same funds.
THIS visa will be issued for a period of three years plus four months (sometimes two years is given initially). If in this category for five years, this visa can lead to indefinite leave to remain. Contact email@example.com for more information
It has been a long time since I have been on this forum and after posting on a couple of topics today, I have realised a lot of people are receiving inaccurate or no advice in regards to tier 4 of the PBS system in relation to student visas in the UK. There are so many different types of visas and so many different types of applicant that this information cannot be contained in one thread lumped with every single visa the UK offers. So I am offering this thread as a platform for those who have queries relating solely to Tier 4 - the UK student visa (greater than 6 months stay for approved education).
Everyone is free to post questions on this page and even answers! But I will endeavor to answer all questions as an experienced education consultant. I realise many people are destroying their futures by following the wrong advice or following their own reasoning without looking at what the UKBA has to say about the application process, and I find this extremely upsetting. You may also post your experiences of different visa centres in Nigeria. My advice is free of charge, and will be displayed here for everyone to see as a public reference.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Again2(m): 9:43am On Dec 18, 2011|
That is not true.
You can't use your uncle's company's account. Your uncle can transfer all the money u need into your account.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Again2(m): 10:11am On Dec 18, 2011|
You also need to be careful because that school name: horizon school of business London is not in the list of registered schools on UKBA's website
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by worry246(m): 10:49am On Dec 18, 2011|
STOP, STOP, STOP,
First mistake you have paid deposit to school which CAN NEVER be recognised for visa.
They are not on the UKBA list of trusted sponsors.
Try to get your deposit back (but I suspect that you have lost that money) I hope you have not borrowed it from your Uncle.
You must go and tell him the truth!
You are trying to move money about to boost a bank account.
You MUST have funds for maintenence avaliable when you get to UK, empty bank acc is no good.
The boarder agency at airport can check and school will check, it is part of UKBA requirements.
Your friend in UK has not helped you.
You should go to your uncle and elders to seek advice.
See here for a list of schools.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 20, 2011|
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 4:25pm On Dec 20, 2011|
If you merged it then you have to start counting the 28days again. How long have you had that 260.000 in your account?
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 20, 2011|
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 6:30pm On Dec 20, 2011|
In your case submitting the 2 bank statements will be the best option as long as they both clocked 28days each.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 20, 2011|
Okay,that's all I need. Thanks,God bless!
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by muhdT: 7:45pm On Dec 20, 2011|
Please do BHC has the right to ask for your account balance or can only confirm if you're a customer with bank. Also do they verify your passport picture of account with the bank? Please how does it work?
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by worry246(m): 6:58am On Dec 21, 2011|
What have you done to be so worried?
You are worried about balance being checked and you are worried about photo identity!
If you have used fraud to boost money or false identity then you can be looking at ten year ban.
Banks are co-operating with visa checks so any fraud will show up .
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Boy619: 7:33am On Dec 25, 2011|
Hello mr justwise, tomorrow am going to london, is it true that they ask for money show at the airport.Because i have already taken out my money in my account, Plz help,
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by worry246(m): 7:58am On Dec 25, 2011|
You could be asked at departure airport or at arrival airport to show proof of funds.
What UKBA are allways looking for are people coming on study or visitor visa but having no funds for support.
Are you travelling on study or visitor visa?
do you have accomodation Hotel booking or letter of invitation?
Could be big wahalla if you are caught!
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 8:30am On Dec 25, 2011|
Its a random thing, you maybe asked, but make sure you have all your fees because your school will request that you pay up at registration.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Boy619: 9:40am On Dec 25, 2011|
I have already paid whole first year fees, i just carry about only 500 pound in my pocket, other money is in my account, can i carry my past copies of bank statements bcoz banks are closed due to holidays i cnt hav new statements, Am going to stay with my relative,wil there be a problem?
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 9:44am On Dec 25, 2011|
You will be fine.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Boy619: 9:44am On Dec 25, 2011|
Am going with study visa and about accomodation am going to stay with my relatives, may be later i wil look for hostel.
|Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by ooosamede2: 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2012|
Please give advice on this!!
I have been given an offer for Msc in Uk, Can I use my Local Government as my sponsor, or they should pay the money into my account
If I can use my Local Government as my sponsor what are the documents I need to submit to the embassy along with my application
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2018 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 246