Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,732 members, 7,806,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? (14967 Views)

These Are The Biggest Password Mistakes You Can’t Afford To Make / I Nid A Nigeria Non Hosted Google Adsense Account Any Up For Sale / What App/Software Will You Love To Have But Can't Afford? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by kollex003: 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2011
My first software was priced at 15,000 naira. Though things are getting better but I always sell my programs with aggressive marketing that seems more like begging  companies to upgrade from their local ways of record management. Please I don't mean to insult anyone with this post. but if I continue with programming, can I ever drive the lastest Range Rover Sport of 12 million Naira? or will I ever sell or  develop a program that will sell for 5million naira to start with. I've never meet or seen a programmer that leaves in a duplex or drives big cars,  Please lets brag a little. What is the highest price you've ever sold your software or made from a website. For me my last software was sold for 450,000.00 with I beg.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 17, 2011
its still the future,but you might have aged before it starts booming in that part of the world,but in kenya ad rwanda ,i think they understand it and you dnt need to beg anybody.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:20pm On Dec 17, 2011
this thread is gon be really interesting, tho I doubt anyone is gonna flaunt his/her earnings like I hope
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 3:11am On Dec 18, 2011
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 18, 2011
omo_to_dun:

@ OP
N5 million? That one na chicken change. In fact, na cockroach change. My last software sold so much that inflation crept into the economy. Why do you think that so many Nigerians are poverty stricken. It is simply because they have spent all their money buying my alluring and indispensable software. I made over 20 gazillion naira. Can you beat that? By the way, I don't ride cars, I ride [i]b[/i]itches.

mouth

@poster, you need to be very smart and know ppl to drive that car, being a programmer is secondary.
there are ppl who dont code yet they whisk out projects worth 5 million - 30 Million and outsource it to very good and experienced programmers for less than a million naira.
by the time you take an okada to go get your N300,000 balance, he'll give you the discription on how you can locate him on his new site he has been building for his family while you were coding under the influence of coffee.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 7:14am On Dec 18, 2011
@poster, this was precisely why i left software programming almost 10 years ago and came to sit down for website development - and i never regretted it.
Maybe, just maybe i was a lousy programmer. . . . .
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by kodewrita(m): 12:43pm On Dec 18, 2011
if all he does is code, instead of solving problems common to a million-sized consumer population, No.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 18, 2011
^^^I think you are correct there.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by bakenda(m): 9:16pm On Dec 18, 2011
I heard (don't ask me where) that Seun is driving something like that,
so, it may be possible. wink

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by edoyad(m): 12:59pm On Dec 19, 2011
bakenda:

I heard (don't ask me where) that Seun is driving something like that,
so, it may be possible. wink

Is Seun a programmer ? Besides, we all know Muki is the real brain behind NL grin
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by stagger: 1:01pm On Dec 19, 2011
OP,

You need to shift your focus from programming a software that can be used by one company or client, to programming a software with mass appeal.

This is the model Bill Gates used to make his billions. Frankly, put on your thinking cap.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Baawaa(m): 1:01pm On Dec 19, 2011
With God,u can ride Bentley
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by edoyad(m): 1:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
xx
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by geniusauthor(m): 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
The problem is this:

There's one thing to have a skill, there's another to be able to market yourself (which is the most important even than the skill itself).

Learning it does not mean you'll start counting millions from it!
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2011
@OP why sell your last software @450k with I beg when you can design for the mass-market and have people subscribe for 10k per annum and sell it to like 500-1000 people (a small figure) but with proper marketing you could be hitting millions - I so do not like the Range Sport but yea you can afford it if you sell right
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by mjcity0076: 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2011
You need to leave Nigeria and come to countries where you will be recognized and then Nigeria will remember you are their son. In USA there is always  something for starters or even professionals competitions for start ups and you could brush up your education here. For young folks that want admissions to a nice affordable college here in New York hit me up. Educate, build and not destroy  oluomafam@yahoo.com www.stillcooltowrite.com
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2011
This one big pass me to answer o
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by KejiOJ(m): 1:38pm On Dec 19, 2011
True talk ? Even a user of an application get money pass the developer who developed that application,
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by mekaboy(m): 1:53pm On Dec 19, 2011
[b] BROSS HUNGER DEY KILL PROGRAMMERS FOR NIGERIA- ESPECIALLY THAT OF SOFTWARE- I HAVE FRIENDS WHO WILL BE DEVELOPING A SOFTWARE ON THE SYSTEM WITH A BIG BOWL OF GARRI AND GROUNDNUT SOAKED ON THE TABLE grin grin grin grin grin grin WHILE OTHERS ABROAD DEY LICK ICECREAM WHILE THEY DO.

CORRUPTION KILLS EVERYTHING IN NIGERIA , WHICH MAKES IT HARD FOR NIGERIANS TO EVEN BELIEVE IN NIGERIAN PRODUCTS, BECAUSE IF I CANT TRUST MYSELF I CANT TRUST YOU. MOST NIGERIANS WILL PREFARE TO PAY TO GET ONES FROM COMPANIES ABROAD.

SECONDLY, ONE THING IN NIGERIA IS THAT DEVELOPERS LACK EXCELLENCE- THE PROGRAMMER ABRAOD AND THE ONE IN NIGERIA IS THIS.

1, THEY HAVE BASIC NEEDS MET - THEY ARE RELAXED, AND THEY ARE CODING BECAUSE IT GIVES THEM JOY THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO SOLVE A PROBLEM TO HUMANITY. THEIR AIM IS TO BE RECOGNIZED AS AN INVENTOR SO THEY GIVE IT ALL THEY GOT TO ENSURE THE SOFTWARE IS FREE OF BUGS.

BUT THE NIGERIAN PROGRAMMERS PRIMARY FOCUS IS RANGE ROVER SPORTS grin grin grin grin grin SO THEY ARE IN A HURRY TO BRING SOMETHING OUT IN THE MARKET AND ITS FULL OF ERRORS, WHEN SOMEONE BUYS IT AND FINDS PROBLEMS, THEY ARE DISCOURAGED AND DISCOURAGE OTHER FROM BUYING MADE IN NIGERIA .

YOUR FOCUS SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT THE MONEY NOW BUT ABOUT SOLVING A PROBLEM. IF THE STRESS IS TOO MUCH AND YOU HAVE MUCH NEEDS, THEN SIMPLY START OF A BUSINESS WITH THE MONEY YOU HAVE WHILE U DO YOUR PROGRAMMING ASIDE.

BECAUSE WHEN YOU DEY DRINK GARRI WHILE PROGRAMMING, YOUR SOFTWARE WILL BE FULL OF GARRI AND GROUND NUT BUGS. SO HAVE ANOTHER MEANS OF INCOME WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU RELAX AND DO A CLEAN JOB.

ANOTHER ISSUE IN NIGERIA IS CORRUPTION, YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE TO MAKE IT BIG. IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE IN GOVT EG(MINISTER) HE CAN RECOMMEND YOUR SOFTWARE FOR THE MINISTRY, A SOFTWARE YOU WOULD HAVE SOLD FOR 10K WILL BE AWARDED AS A COUNTRACT FOR 100 MILLION NAIRA. ATLEAST YOU GET 10 OR 20MILL , YOUR OWN DON BETTER BE THAT OO grin grin grin grin[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by executinal(m): 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
Is 100% possible, its up to you. Believe in your dream
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2011
Y does anyfin dat has programming in it always jump into the front Page undecided
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by okeyxyz(m): 2:23pm On Dec 19, 2011
@OP, for you? NO!!!

i don't even believe your story of selling software for N450k. you just don't sound like it, otherwise you would't be asking this question.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by dellnet: 2:29pm On Dec 19, 2011
The highest that I sold a software as one module is US$1500. Don't think about software think about a system in general. The fastest catch is to develop a system that an entire industry can use, this way you can drive a Range quicker than you think. Word of advice; if you are into programming for the money you may be disappointed quicker than you think.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Andrew3(m): 2:37pm On Dec 19, 2011
It all depends where you find yourself. Dont be a programmer that depends on individual satisfaction. Range rover sport is such an infinitesimal.
I own a brand new BM X6, a chrysler s300 and a chevrolet lumina. Though am a reverse engineer no much difference. Focus on career first.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by IbroSaunks(m): 2:57pm On Dec 19, 2011
Hehehehe , Jesse j - price tag, iz nuh about the money,
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Slyr0x: 2:59pm On Dec 19, 2011
Loool @ Topic. . .Why not? There was this programming firm I worked with during my I.T. some years back and the least they ever got paid for was 20million. .The 20million then was for a Warehouse Management System. . wink

3 things matters - 1.) Your packaging 2.) Your connection(the people you know) (3.)  The program itself. . .

The way the M.D. did it then was, he got influential people as board of directors. .Asin highly influential peepz. .So what they do is tell their friends "You need so & so solution(s) giving 'em good reasons why they do". .and that's it! (Don't forget these people get their own percentage outta every job they bring to the table). grin. .
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Wallie(m): 3:22pm On Dec 19, 2011
I feel compelled to say a few words.
[list]
[li] Range Rover Sport or almost any other car is nothing compared to what you can truly earn “programming.”[/li]
[li] The only way to surpass your mediocre performance is to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack. If you’re just an average pickup game footballer, you can’t expect to earn European-footballer’s salary. People pay for perceived value. [/li]
[li] I do understand that people are somewhat limited by their exposure but about the only way you can make any meaningful difference is to expand your horizons. You have to understand what people’s current needs are and how the market is deficient in meeting that current need. For example, developing a SaaS application for a particular industry can easily get you into the million dollar club even in Nigeria. [/li]
[li] Lastly, put on your thinking cap and think big. Forget the RR for now and focus on your trade. If you become very good at what you do, you will be successful even if you don’t drive a RR. Mark Zuckerberg, the guy that created and owns about 30% of Facebook currently worth ~16 Billion dollars, drives an Acura TSX.[/li]

[/list]
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by IOludayo(m): 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2011
[color=#000099][/color] A range rover? Why not? Nigeria is d best place 2 make money in d whole wide world n I'm staying back here 4 d rest of my life 2 do just that. I have some great ideas coupled with excellent biz dev skills (sales, marketing n PR) in d area of programming.  Tonnes of cash to be made here n we've not even started. Interested programmers/webmasters should holla me on 081 8836 0168.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by purefella(m): 4:00pm On Dec 19, 2011
U be mumu people are not doing big things with their work earnings , they are engaged in other dubious activity and uses that to cover up ., don't let the range rover thing be blipping in your brain if you want to live a normal life and if you don't want to, get closer to anybody using range with a work you know him with to help you out or put you through by the time he introduce you to traffic cocaine u go understand that time say RANGE KNOW BE SERE SERE
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:30pm On Dec 19, 2011
@OP - how could i have missed this - there is a field of programming known as Maga+1 Programming. If you also have database skills in Email-Processing then you can get the new 2012 Evoque from Rover grin grin grin grin you have just about 6 billion Magas to program and the fortunes are enormous. grin grin
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by sconsults: 5:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
i made 26 million in 2009 alone when still in Nigeria selling and designing programs but my programs are high end company specific ones
and not useful outside its client workstation.i now work for GAZPROM Russia in deep sea oil prospecting specializing in remote
deposit simulation especially in Arctic region and Siberia.i love my work but it is next generation,brain intensive and too challenging for even the best programmers.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by dayokanu(m): 5:12pm On Dec 19, 2011
Unless you add yahooyahoo join am

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Arduino,raspberry Pi,sensors Etc / Coders, How Long Do Your Laptop Batteries Last?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.