Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? (3597 Views)

Brainfield Alumni Homecoming2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by topea(m): 8:09am On Mar 13, 2006
Purposes Of Creating Alumni Associations

Having passed through an academic institution, we tend to create an alumni association and bring ourselves together as passers through of the alma mater. I want us to discuss what are the gains of these alumni?

What do we look forward to do? Why really do we have to bring ourselves back together? How do we even get it going for the first time of establishment, for relatively younger institutions?

I know we all are part of one alumni or the other, or have been active in establishing one. Let's share our experiences and opinions.
Re: Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by Seun(m): 11:43am On Mar 13, 2006
Networking! People want to interact with old school friends so they can get jobs and business referrals through them. Others really enjoyed or did very well in school this makes them want to revisit the old times.
Re: Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by topea(m): 12:38pm On Mar 14, 2006
Thanks Seun. besides meeting each other, what are the things that are placed in focus in an alumni association. How does one get to put a relatively new alumni assoiation on a sound footing.

Any experiences in the house? Please let's share.
Re: Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by gidig(m): 3:02pm On Mar 25, 2006
Well my experience is very relative because it is not for my alma mater perse but a fellwoship within the school.For networking as Seun said and alos becuase we tend to spend a sizeable part of our formative years in such instuitutions where our career choices are moulded, we tend to stick together beyond those periods.

Much of what we do now is online and we are trying to bring everyone together for a schorlarship project for those in te school as well as help to create other benefits we wished we had while we were students.There is still much to be done.

The key is to create some value for the gathering otherwise people do not wnat to just gather to see old friends.oNce that is done, the people will join gradually.
Re: Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by ababoy1(m): 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2006
I can only speak of my alumni and say that as a networking tool it has been terrific. We have a UK branch, and boy do we have fun. We also have a number of scholarship schemes going on, and we are also undertaking a number of capital intensive projects back at our school. Here in the UK, we have an exceptional welfare policy, and we always join forces to support members in need. A few days ago, we set up, under a couple of hours, a forum similar to this – all for less than £50 (SMF is free). We picture online interaction as a further means to increase our alliance. My Alumni is FGC Ikot-Ekpene, and our forum can be found at http://www.fgcik.net/forum
Re: Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by my2cents(m): 5:01pm On Apr 06, 2006
From my observations, nigerians form associations in general as way to feel in charge. It's just an avenue to chop money, meet once in a while to chop eba and dance to get rid of stress. In the end, the association is only as strong as the will of the members and their purpose. If you get together for the purpose of raising scholarship money and everyone is serious about it and don't end up giving to their kin, it will succeed.

Ababoy, me i follow be IK alum o! I even learn say Rita Nwatorocha (aka Dominic) of nollywood fame na fellow alum too. I am from the class of 1990, Cross-River house wink . Being in the states, I subscribe to http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3234/

Pro Unitate!!
Re: Alumni Associations: Why Do We Create Them? by topea(m): 4:47pm On Apr 25, 2006
Nice talk guys.
We all need to put our experiences together to benefit ourselves, the current students of the school, the school itself, and of course the society at large.
My2cents, eba and dance are definitely part of life. You sure cannot go on without them. You must always unwind. Even the "world president" does.
Its been nice contribution from all of you.
I think people can also use this medium to link up the alumni of their various alma maters.
Can we go shooting

(1) (Reply)

Spsm Or Cips For Supply Management Certification / 7 Young Igbo Men Meet Their Utimely Death As They Try To Rescue An Hausa Man In- / Marketing Practitioners Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.