Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators (22101 Views)

Prepare For Mass Protest Over Subsidy Scam, Soyinka Tells Nigerians-nan / Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation / A Comparative Analysis Of Nigerian Legislators‘ Earnings With Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by sandra123: 7:25pm On Dec 18, 2011

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has asked lawmakers in the National Assembly to go back to school in order to clearly understand the difference between public and private affairs.

Professor Soyinka made this statement in response to a bill banning same-sex marriages which was recently passed by the Nigerian Senate.

He said, “The problem with legislators is that they fail to distinguish between personal bills and interventions in private lives. That is the problem. I see no reason why they should intervene in the private lives of adults. What people do in their bedrooms is no business of mine. It should not be the business of legislators.

“But at the same time, I think other countries who are pointing fingers should look inwards and see whether they also do not practise the same kind of discrimination. That is where I disagree, but I think it is important we learn to distinguish between what is a public affair and what is a private affair.

“The legislators need to go back to school to learn the difference before they waste their time with what people do in their private bedrooms.”

Do you agree with Professor Wole Soyinka?

http://www.cp-africa.com/2011/12/18/on-anti-man-lover-bill-go-back-to-school-soyinka-tells-nigerian-legislators/

7 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by EMANY01(m): 8:04pm On Dec 18, 2011
It's a no brainer.He is right.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Ejine(m): 8:11pm On Dec 18, 2011
I fully agree with the professor! Well said!

7 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nchara: 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2011
Okay, good if it is their private affairs, but they will be crossing the African cultural lines should they begin to appear nude/semi nude in public places as is common in Belgium and San Francisco. Let's keep it personal.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Chisom212: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nice one grin

1 Like

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by 9javoice1(m): 9:48pm On Dec 18, 2011
am disapointed with wole soyinka on this issue.
i dont blv this should be coming out from him.

and many of us here admit this nonsense cus of wole soyinka.
a man clearly known to us as an occultist grand father.
what do he wole has to teach us about moral.

6 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by ektbear: 9:55pm On Dec 18, 2011
He is right.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Lasinoh: 10:07pm On Dec 18, 2011
Good one Kongi! kiss
The relgious bigots on NL and all over Nigeria will never understand your message being God's own anointed anuses that should not be 'touched'! What busy bodies! grin

He said, “The problem with legislators is that they fail to distinguish between personal bills and interventions in private lives. That is the problem. [size=20pt]I see no reason why they should intervene in the private lives of adults.[/size] What people do in their bedrooms is no business of mine. It should not be the business of legislators.

Tell 'em bro!
Meanwhile they are the chief culprits deceiving people with their tri-sexu-alies!
Not to mention shove their own reetarded religious views on others. . .as anuses and mouth-pieces of God!
If same-sex lovers wanno get married or have chldren, whose business is it?

Don't mind the silly religious bigots jare!
I dey your side.
Those illiterates really need to go back to school! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by bulDozer: 10:35pm On Dec 18, 2011
Ahoy Cap'n!
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by philip0906(m): 10:50pm On Dec 18, 2011
Every pu$$yhead wants 2 be relevant in d nigerian circle. . .soyinka should hang himself in dat dunghill of a place he calls a house if he does not like it. . . undecided

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by strangest(m): 11:04pm On Dec 18, 2011
probably the professor is one of them.did he even think of the effect that such relationship will have on our children. the professor definitely need to go back to an informal school, mtsheww he just lost my respect for him. same thing happened when he formed the pyrates confraternity, he never gave it a second thought that it may disintegrate to what it is today. loads of students and properties already lost to what he initiated. he should stop thinking with his anus, mtsheww

3 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by manny4life(m): 11:53pm On Dec 18, 2011
^^^

Yeah typical Nigerian, he's one of them because he spoke out on human rights, smh rubbish. Where in his post did u see him supporting "gay marriage" eh? So quick to judge, yet, so slow to comprehend. What them ga/y people do, how is any of your business? Geez, if you have lost respect for him, that means one less "whoever gives a sh/it", and he has gained solidarity and respect amongst his like minds.

4 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Lasinoh: 11:56pm On Dec 18, 2011
Gbbbbbbbbaaaaaammmmm!!!

Ho ho ho

Merry Christmassssss!!!!

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by KnowAll(m): 12:17am On Dec 19, 2011
Soyinka is an atheist, and an atheist has a moral compass equals to 'zilch' or 'zero' so taken what he says wholeheartedly or seriously must be frowned upon. Give those 'gays' an inch and then they will take a mile. That cancer of sodomy must be kept at arms length and under wraps in our shores, so that we can concentrate on other major and important issues that affects our society without being enmeshed in the intricacies and the rather unpalatable thought of what homosexual-ism is all about.

As it were, Our sensibilities have already being bruised by discussing such abhorrence, the earlier this dastardly act is tucked away the better for many who never knew it ever existed. Our people are in the dark ages when it comes to compunction to this kind of social malice and it makes sense for them to remain there.

4 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by violent(m): 2:23am On Dec 19, 2011
strangest:

probably the professor is one of them.did he even think of the effect that such relationship will have on our children. the professor definitely need to go back to an informal school, mtsheww he just lost my respect for him. same thing happened when he formed the pyrates confraternity, he never gave it a second thought that it may disintegrate to what it is today. loads of students and properties already lost to what he initiated. he should stop thinking with his anus, mtsheww

Shut up!

People can stand up against stupi[i]d[/i] decisions, based on principle, not necessarily because[i] "they are probably one of them" [/i]. . . I have seen this a lot on nairaland, and it's extremely disappointing that anyone could descend so low.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Kobojunkie: 2:38am On Dec 19, 2011
While I agree with the professor that our Legislators absolutely need to head back to school to get better trained on how to debate and argue issues, I remain anti-gay marriage. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by birdman(m): 2:57am On Dec 19, 2011
strangest:

Nowhere did Soyinka suggest he is in support of same sex marriage. Wether you are for or against, the simple fact is you cannot legislate morality. If 2 males are sharing a room, how can you tell if they are just room mates or lovers without invading their privacy? That is why this law is useless - it is unenforceable. And in a country where police are unscrupulous, this is law is going to be abused badly.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by strangest(m): 5:48am On Dec 19, 2011
^today it may be PRIVATE in their bedrooms but tomorrow they will start looking for churches that will wed them and it will be PUBLIC. Then our kids will want to learn from them. Stopping it at the nick of the bud is one of the best thing that has ever happened to this country and if anyone see it differently he is supporting them. Professor just talked poo.

4 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Lasinoh: 6:23am On Dec 19, 2011
Strange to think that heterosex-uals gave birth to homo-se-xuals. . .
Hmmmmm! Maybe if we do things reversedly. . . as in homo-sexu-als getting married and having children. . . the children might become hetero-se-xuals.

Anyhoo. . . too many single parent homes, polygamous ones too around the world(many children, especially black males are left to live like bastards in Africa and the US even when their fathers are alive and phocking around the globe breeding more children). . . with mothers as heads of the households. When men start helping their mommas hook and unhook their bras in the dead of the night. . . or help to tie 'geles' like "Shagun the Gele Master from Houston", TX the desire to grow poohsies by young boys becomes an ideal. Just habituation. Single parent homes without fathers grow extremely hateful men or extremely effiminate men. . .nothing in between.

African men. . .sit at home and raise your sons! Only men can truly raise men. . . as heads of the households! kiss
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by klas(m): 7:32am On Dec 19, 2011
Since the Prof is largely based in western countries nowadays, he can start by forcing the legislators of those countries that made laws against polygamy and polyandry back to school. Afterall how many wives I decide to have is a private matter.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by kokoA(m): 7:40am On Dec 19, 2011
I don't think the law is against  men or women who bang other men or women in private. We just don't just wana see dem showing unholy affection in public. simple!

1 Like

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Ayor93(m): 7:41am On Dec 19, 2011
i think wole's statement is pOlitical, its just surprising!
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 7:45am On Dec 19, 2011
Wole soyinka the evil genuis, the demoniac and the grand patron of the pirates confraternity is at it again. What is happening to the people of your home town in ishara ogun state?
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by onchefx: 7:45am On Dec 19, 2011
kai i am really disappointed in this wole man,may be book don spoil em head o!,this man don turn to agent of satan o! kai shame on wole it is a pity that wole of all people will be talking like this shame!! on u
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by nelly4(f): 7:52am On Dec 19, 2011
people before we get it all wrong, the good professor is not supporting same sex watever, all he is saying is dat such actions are not for  public consumption thus its an adults private business,
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 19, 2011
Like every other Nigerian, Wole is only expressing his views.

However one can also deduce from his statement that incest and bestiality should be regarded as private matters too. Weak arguement Wole, if I may say.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by sugar001(f): 7:57am On Dec 19, 2011
Soyinka is indeed a wise man. I support him jare. Its just non of my business. Infact we ve more important things to do. Lawmarkers should think of better things to do. They should scrap nysc etc.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by dancewith: 7:57am On Dec 19, 2011
The bill is not against what people do in their bedroom or private lives. It outlawed public display of gay affections and celebrations. Maybe it is the prof that needed going back to school

Nonsense prof

3 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Pukkah: 7:57am On Dec 19, 2011
onchefx:

kai i am really disappointed in this wole man,may be book don spoil em head o!,this man don turn to agent of satan o! kai shame on wole it is a pity that wole of all people will be talking like this shame!! on u

Why not make your point without insulting him or seeking solace in sentiments? In fact, what point have you made?
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by eghost247(m): 7:59am On Dec 19, 2011
really want to see where this all goes
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by gaakgaba: 8:00am On Dec 19, 2011
The fact that this is coming from wole soyinka does not make it right. It will be totally fallacious for any human to think that way.I think the law of diminishing return has started setting in for the man. If not he ought to know that gay marriage will definitely have a multiplier effect on the society in the long run if not curbed at the earlier stage. This is Africa with its own peculiar culture.The constitution should be a reflection of the culture. NO CULTURE IN NIGERIA SUPPORTS GAY-MARRIAGE. How our families are managed determines what becomes of the society in the future. If each family is properly managed then the society will be a better place for us all. The bill has been passed. There is nothing you can do about it sir. if you talk from now till tomorrow,it doesnt change anything sir. That is the way we want it.

Spiritually, have you come to think of the reason why we have frequent cases of natural disaster in other continents and none in africa? The atrocities committed daily in some countries in the name of freedom is on the high side. This is the reason why God destroyed one generation in the bible and the quran and some people still have reasons  to support it. This is unimaginable.

Logically, the ratio of female child to male child is increasingly skewed in favour of female (recently 7:1). It will be a total selfishness for a rightful thinking person to support gay marriage. What happens to the excess number of women in the future. Prostitution? Idleness?. The professor should please look into the future or go back to school to learn that.

5 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Baawaa(m): 8:02am On Dec 19, 2011
He is totally wrong,the point he gave to back-up his view is meaningless!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Don’t Abandon My Husband In 2015- Patience Jonathan. / Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster / Atiku Supported Total Removal Of Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.