Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators (22097 Views)

Prepare For Mass Protest Over Subsidy Scam, Soyinka Tells Nigerians-nan / Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation / A Comparative Analysis Of Nigerian Legislators‘ Earnings With Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 2:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
na today. your system don corrupt tey tey.
one chaiman of probably the biggest LGA in the east na confirmed gay lord grin grin
everybody know. if you dey that town just mind as you talk if you no wan fall hand
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by KnowAll(m): 2:05pm On Dec 19, 2011
[size=16pt]We are still battling with Soyinka's 1950's Frankenstein MONSTER Today, which started with a humble beginning,  championing pro-independence crusade against the Colonialist. Although not the Prof's fault, that this 'innocent innocuous demien' or 'the Devil's Child' has grown from being "agitators extraordinary" to the "Devil's Incarnate Plenipotentiary".

No crime is too small or too gruesome enough for this group of blood thirsty vampires, they are today Nigeria's 'bogey men', I used to think there is nothing called a 'bogey man' but when you have a bout and a 'one on one' warning session with these men of dogs, cold chilled would literally run through your veins, the experience can only be likened to a man who have just witnessed the 'eternity pains of damnation' in hell, I pray the macrbe ways of these ritualist would not be our portion, Amen oooooooh[/size] cool

Picture of a dead Bird (EIYE)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1344508548373&set=o.280146741926&type=3&theater
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by ifihearam: 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
The professor might be right for them to go back and study what they should deliberate in the house which i fully agree with him but in this matter of anti-gay,he went too far and he just displayed that is wisdom can only be narrowed to literary works.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Baraac(f): 2:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
I like Soyinka, but on this matter, i'm dissappointed. Prof , please kindly go back to your reading table and write more novels, maybe you can get another noble prize before you die. Your time is up.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2011
Baraac:

I like Soyinka, but on this matter, i'm dissappointed. Prof , please kindly go back to your reading table and write more novels, maybe you can get another noble prize before you die. Your time is up.
very true, I sense that his time is up,
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by r4fan: 3:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
I wonder what right has soyinka to force his decadent views-- atheism and now pro-gay on the majority of Nigerians who believe that homosexuality is wrong and should not be condoned in our society. It seems this prof has already gone nuts and has no moral ground whatsoever on the issue.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by sylve11: 3:10pm On Dec 19, 2011
hisses, prof don fall my hand sad cool
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by olajide8(m): 3:13pm On Dec 19, 2011
i enjoy reading responses to topics like this at least which the tread reach 3-4 before i say something so mine does really stand out public and private lives what is really public or private about our existence is it our presence inside buses on our way to work or what we are thinking about inside us that we want to say does not affect another person directly or indirectly in respect of what we say or may believe these same gay people use the same hospitals and health systems as straight people they may be sometimes bi-sexual their by spreading sexually transmitted diseases from a small reach i read i didn't complete it for my own person bias so don't ask me to post the link i heard they said most sexually transmitted diseases are transmitted by these same gays i heard from another person that the likely hood of a person contracting HIV from a woman is just a little less then contacting from a man under the same circumstances( pls don't get me wrong even if they would both contact it the possibility of from a gay person is higher), their must be some element of truth because i really saw some gory pictures but back to the topic whether they practice in their rooms or not they belong to the same society we all belong to and indirectly these behaviors are transferred to the larger society i would like to talk to much because of my bias so let the bill stay they would affect every facet of our nationhood if it doesn't stay.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by narttis1: 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
is it an offence to sniff cocaine in my private room? afterall i'm harming no one.
why is it an offence to commit suicide? afterall its my private life and i think i'm done living it.
I think the professor should rather go back to school, afterall, education has no end.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Balloa1(m): 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
In term of their going back to school, religious education is also very important to be included, in order to include 'fear of GOD' in every undertakings.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 19, 2011
one day Nigeria government will give orders that we should not eat pizza because it not our culture grin
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by trustidkid: 3:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
"The fact that this is coming from wole soyinka does not make it right. It will be totally fallacious for any human to think that way.I think the law of diminishing return has started setting in for the man. If not he ought to know that gay marriage will definitely have a multiplier effect on the society in the long run if not curbed at the earlier stage. This is Africa with its own peculiar culture.The constitution should be a reflection of the culture. NO CULTURE IN NIGERIA SUPPORTS GAY-MARRIAGE. How our families are managed determines what becomes of the society in the future. If each family is properly managed then the society will be a better place for us all. The bill has been passed. There is nothing you can do about it sir. if you talk from now till tomorrow,it doesnt change anything sir. That is the way we want it.

Spiritually, have you come to think of the reason why we have frequent cases of natural disaster in other continents and none in africa? The atrocities committed daily in some countries in the name of freedom is on the high side. This is the reason why God destroyed one generation in the bible and the quran and some people still have reasons  to support it. This is unimaginable.

Logically, the ratio of female child to male child is increasingly skewed in favour of female (recently 7:1). It will be a total selfishness for a rightful thinking person to support gay marriage. What happens to the excess number of women in the future. Prostitution? Idleness?. The professor should please look into the future or go back to school to learn that.
"

I think needs to go back to school not the legislature is this respect. The legislature has not peeped into private matter of anybody.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 4:05pm On Dec 19, 2011
before commenting have you taken time to find out what the man actually said?
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 19, 2011
I m not qualified to judge your work but Yep,Prof,you are indeed correct.
Private matters are private.
Religious folks,let God judge them.  It is none of your bizness.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 4:12pm On Dec 19, 2011
i did NOT see anywhere that he expressed any views on the subject of GAY MARRIAGE.
generally people have poor comprehension and react/respond in predictable ways that is why advertising is so succcessful
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Baraac(f): 4:22pm On Dec 19, 2011
Oga Aribisala maybe you need a NEPA/touch light in the UK to read between the lines, please wake up.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by DRANOEL(m): 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
what the good prof is saying is that if:
john decides to defile his 12yr old daughter its his private biz dont disturb!

peter butchers his mum,its his private biz dont disturb

kelvin sniffs coke in the confines of his bedroom,its his private biz dont disturb

wtf do u expect from the bloody atheist? too much book has eroded his mind! i always prefered achebe who scores high points when he talks
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
I think Wole Soyinka's brain is on diminishing return, he is vast becoming obsolete in his thinking. Has he forgotten about culture and moral value of the society in Nigeria?
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 5:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
Baraac:

Oga Aribisala maybe you need a NEPA/touch light in the UK to read between the lines, please wake up.
Madam if you don't agree with me express yourself freely. Its your right ,no need for personal remarks you might not like my response.We always have a problem with respecting each other when we have different opinions, I wonder why.
Anyhow gay marriage is quite different from homosexuality
just like heterosexual marriage is different from heterosexuality.

I don't know why we kid ourselves about African culture. When gay behaviour is part of the manhood initiation rites of many tribal African societies. This idea that somehow homosexuality is a European thing is a funny self delusion. By all means we can speak against it and I will too but let us not use false arguments. The liberal approach to homosexuality in Western society is very recent and it was not  historically part of their culture any more than ours. FINAL REPEAL UNITED STATES 2003

gay acts are already a crime in Nigeria NOT through Nigerian legislation but from laws inherited from the British and carry a jail term. It is illegal according to Chapter 21, Articles 214 and 217 of the Nigerian penal code and can be punished by imprisonment of up to 14 years throughout Nigeria.
That is the status quo since independence so how does this new senate activity add value  . Apart from giving some jokers the opportunity to yell for blood and deflecting attention from the coming financial pain that will be unleashed next year. If homosexuality is already criminal how can gay marriage be anything but

What is new is that if you know about it and do not report you can go to jail for 10 years. I laugh in SODOM and GOMORRAN.
How many people are in prison NOW under the existing law. In fact under Sharia Law it is the death penalty now.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Adekay2011: 5:16pm On Dec 19, 2011
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR SOME ONE TO BE CALLED AN ADULT AND YET NOT KNOW HIS FATHER
IN OUR LANGUAGE THEY SAY AGBA KI NWA LOJA KI ORI OMO TUNTUN WO
BUT SORRY ALL THE ELDERS AND PROFESSORS WE HAVE ARE NOTHING BUT EMPTY DRUM .
SO I AM NOT SURPRISE THAT WOLE IS SAYING THAT.
OVER DOING OF ANYTHING IS BAD
AT HIS AGE HE KNOW NOT GOD THAT IS WHY HE KNOW NOT GODS PRINCIPLE.
ANY LAW THAT CONTRADICT WITH GOD LAW CAN NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY.
[ BELIEVE IT IS GOD THAT WORK TROUGH THE SENATE TO PASS THAT  EVIL BILL
BECAUSE THIS COUNTRY IS FOR GOD WOLE SHOULD BE CANNED FOR WORKING AGAINST
GOD PLAN THOUGH I KNOW HE KNOW NOT WHAT HE HAS SAID
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 19, 2011
bulDozer:

Ahoy Cap'n!
hunhun! Deck? I disagree with you prof on this, we are africans, with african values and cultures!
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by arthurspy: 7:10pm On Dec 19, 2011
Our culture still count,
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
"people before we get it all wrong, the good professor is not supporting same sex watever, all he is saying is dat such actions are not for public consumption thus its an adults private business,

You said it is an adult's private business right? I know very well that gays in States that have legalized such a horrid act in the US do not do everything in Private. They come out to protest, they carry Banners everywhere shamelessly saying " I am gay and I am, ". Give them a handshake today, and next time they will come for an embrace. Some even get married in some so-called "Churches" tu fia!! It is better for such an ugly case to be buried here in Nigeria once and for all. Too much moral decadence have open wounds on our cultural heritage already and we can not just sit and watch gay/lesbianism add to that list!
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Ezeufi: 8:17pm On Dec 19, 2011
This professor is an example of the ramification of the so called western education. Indeed Boko Haram have a point. Western Education is doing more bad than good to the psyche of Africans. Boko Boys get him.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Delafruita(m): 8:22pm On Dec 19, 2011
There is a dangerous trend I have noticed on nairaland,a lot of people don't even read the articles before they start spewing various ill-conceived adjectives at erudite men like prof soyinka.the man didn't even mention the word gay in the entire article.he hasn't voiced support for homosexuality rather he has simply stated the obvious fact,some things should remain private.besides that's his personal opinion and he shouldn't be crucified for it.
I support the right of a man to have sex with whoever he pleases.just as I support the rights of a society to maintain their culture.however the important thing is for the various rights of individuals not to infringe on others.

As was rightly pointed out,a law already exists against homosexuality in nigeria.this recent charade by our lawmakers was just to distract nigerians from their failings.

Some people have the notion that homosexuality and gay marriage are the same,however they need to understand that accepting the rights of homosexuals to associate freely is different from allowing them to marry freely.only 4 states allow gay marriages in america and none allows them to adopt.gay marriage is not allowed in britain.however these countries recognize the rights of gays to exist and that's the path nigeria should tow
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by kaynoJah(m): 8:55pm On Dec 19, 2011
The bane of the society isn't saddled on just one person. Prof will never patronise anyone irrespective of how the pendulum swings. In as much as we all tend to defend our religious leanings and always in a hurry to view others in that perspective, I've not seen what evil Prof implied in his statement to elicit name-callings I read here. Even the legislators he directed his statement never made a swipe.
We can only start getting better in this country when we realise how to take care of our business and let others deal with theirs.
Referring to Prof as atheist, agent of satan, grand-occultist and all of that doesn't strip him off his reputation as a fighter of societal ills and prolific literary genius with international honours. If it takes being atheist and occultist to make Nobel prize, why not go make better use of your time working that than these lame talks in a freebie?

ASUU imbroglio, Boko Haram, Power generation, minimum wage, youth empowerment program, prostitution, infant mortality, armed robbery, fuel subsidy, refineries not functioning at all, kidnapping of NYSC members, ritual murder, house, food and water for Nigerians, good road network, our Police, territorial boundaries etc are far more pressing national issues to justify sitting allowance paid to our legislators than beating their chest over gay marriage debate in the house.
They really need to head back to school.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by humblebee: 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2011
I think he's wrong on this one, its a private issue when its done in your room but becomes public when you come to the public to show it, and tell me how to make it private if not banning it, The government will not come into your room to fish you out, so just to keep it private. they banned it simple. so keep it within the walls of your house and bleep the hell out of yaselves,
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by DRANOEL(m): 9:16pm On Dec 19, 2011
@kayno jah & delafruita

just because soyinka says something doesnt make it right,he's a literal prof not a moral one! him being an atheist shows he has no qualms saying what he said! imagine your dad telling you its ok to steal so long as you keep it within the family. futhermore i may ask "oyinbo" land where he stays,will i be allowed to legally marry 3 wives?(cause thats private to me)
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by tlops(m): 9:36pm On Dec 19, 2011
A man used his son for rituals. it is his private business. the truth is that being Gay is foreign to our culture and religious beliefs, which has great impact on our society. It took US several years for them to bow to the pressure of these set of people. They were forced to accept it. The issue I have with the law is the 14 year jail term. that is too much. I think
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by humblebee: 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
DRANOEL:

@kayno jah & delafruita

just because soyinka says something doesnt make it right,he's a literal prof not a moral one! him being an atheist shows he has no qualms saying what he said! imagine your dad telling you its ok to steal so long as you keep it within the family. futhermore i may ask "oyinbo" land where he stays,will i be allowed to legally marry 3 wives?(cause thats private to me)

correct!!!

all dese folo folo with no brains of deir own, na literature b dis one?
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by rhymz(m): 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2011
I admire The Prof very much but on this issue, I feel his response was at best vague; he was neither here nor there, just using ambigiuos terms in a very vague manner.
Where a lot of people get it wrong is in their definition of what is "private" and "public", they use ambigiuos phrase like "what they do in their bedrooms" to dismiss what homo'sexuals do as private. If we were to look at it that way, then we can use thesame arguments to accommodate activities and acts which our society see as wrong and do not allow both in the open and behind close doors whether it infringes on anyone's right or not.
Honestly, can anyone view what h'omosexuals in the west do as private- how is organizing g'ay lectures, seminars, forming g'ay lobbyist groups, g'ay propagander through major mainstream media, false depiction of the g'ay lifestyle as healthy and normal both in prints and media, forcing religious organization to make provisions for them or cease to exist, private in any sense-unless we just want to conveniently ignore the obvious, there is no sense in banning gay marriage and at thesame time arguing for the bill to allow them freedom of association and all that crap that gives them avenue to further their cause and make the marriage ban useless.
Let's be careful in the way we view issues and make conflicting attempts to both sound morally upright and at thesame time sound politically correct, some times they can be quite obviously mutually exclusive.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by astutepro: 12:44am On Dec 20, 2011
someone said "with old age, comes wisdom"  but with this man its the opposite,   he said “The legislators need to go back to school to learn the difference before they waste their time with what people do in their private bedrooms.” private bedroom? did the govt at any point in time  put a ban on whatever they do in their bedrooms, its is saddening to know that Prof Soyinka doesn't know that there is a difference btw what pple do in their bedrooms and laws against homosexual marriages, smh [color=Black] [/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Don’t Abandon My Husband In 2015- Patience Jonathan. / President Buhari Mourns Ocholi's Death / No Quick Fix For Nigeria’s Problems, Buhari Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.