Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,251 members, 7,780,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:49 PM

My Job Is Not Challenging - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Job Is Not Challenging (5805 Views)

I Want To Leave My Job For Masters / Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). / Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Job Is Not Challenging by bkujems(f): 12:52pm On Oct 02, 2007
hi Nairaland users, i need your advice on what to do. i got my new job last month and i have since started.its an IT firm here in Lagos (names withheld) quite big I was put in a unit where my certification fits but since i started last month i have not been given any task to do all i do is just sit in front of the system and browse. have started a new month and it seems the scene would replay it self.

Somehow I feel like just the fine face behind the desk. My boss seem to be too busy with all the project implementations on his hand that he cares less for a new staff.my thinking of resigning at the end of this mth if this does nt change.

please guys what do u suggest? I'm too smart to be just a figure head spending so much money from the mainland and Island everyday to do nothing and to think that at my interview I did so well that I was the only one they took from about 12 applicants.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by jaybee3(m): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2007
Any other offers in the pipe line? if not, my advise will be to put the time spent browsing to good use by setting yourself a target of applying for at least five or even more relevant jobs each week.
I am in a somewhat similar situation (job has sort of turn to routine), although the pay is very good and will even consider going for something that pays less but with a new challenge.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by dodowaski(f): 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2007
Depends. IS the pay is good?
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Seun(m): 11:51am On Oct 03, 2007
Your boss is busy with a project, right? Why not offer him your assistance with that project.
You don't have to wait for a task to be given to you. You can volunteer to do whatever is needed.

And by the way, being a fine face behind the desk is a very important task. Trust me on this one. cheesy
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by ebhohon: 12:02pm On Oct 03, 2007
I too have a very big challenge. My company has financial crisis due to the insecurity in rivers state and it is downsizing, i have just been given a letter too. This is the multiplier effect of niger delta crisis.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by abott(m): 12:55pm On Oct 03, 2007
Hello guy. i dont think you should resign just like that. from what u said about ur boss, he's too bust handling some projects, isnt there anyway you can come in to assist. find out from him, tell him ur plight and ur willingness to assist in whatever form, it could be as little as makin some calls for him or even photocopies, before u know it, u get into d flow and d nitty-gritty of the organisation, probably ul be too busy to even put posts on nairaland.
however if u feel u really need a change of job, take ur time surf the internet, and b sure u are needed where u will be going, and its a place that will put u into maximum use.
wish u all the best.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Kobojunkie: 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2007
I can help you make your job better for you. You contact me and I will give you projects to work on, the project will help build your skills while you wait for a task to be given you. So Instead of browsing and getting bored, contact me and You can help me with some of my work pro BONO while you wait. Sounds good
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by bkujems(f): 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2007
thanks guys but u dnt seem to really understand, i wish i cld even have a chance to walk up to him to volunteer.infact i wldnt even mind if he asks me to make photocopies only(with all my almighty certifications) everyday,he hardly sits down,he bumps in and even before u say "good" he's out of the door. everyone else is on site.its really painful because this is supposed to be a place where processess and plans r supposed to be in place.no formal introduction of the projects they r handling presently and all that and all that.d annoying tthing, im asked to struggle it out with the IT support of the company to get the company's email address which wld atleast give me access to the company's training server. anyways i've decided that i wld use d internet to my advantage at least get materials and resources, read well and move to the next place of opportunity.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by freelance(m): 1:39pm On Oct 03, 2007
I was once in your shoes. You can register for an exam and take that free time to read. cheesy

or better still there is a lot of Personal development

activities or stuffs that you can engage yourself in while less busy. grin

Just enjoy the times and be grateful for times like this. because when work

starts then you would appreciate times like this better

I would advise u to enjoy it while it lasts cuz nothing stays the same. wink

Cheers and wish u all the best
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by zimba315(m): 2:04pm On Oct 03, 2007
to mi all career job start like that because when i started mine in a very known bank all my collegues has there office going for marketing and the other in operation doing thier daily job,but i never knew they were just allowing me to feel the evvironment and see how things work.just dont give it up it just for some time and you will complan.not to even talk now that job is very scarce in nigeria just try and adapt for now.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by bkujems(f): 2:10pm On Oct 03, 2007
thanks nairalanders i knew i cld trust u to get answers. i will enjoy these times!
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2007
You did not know to Enjoy the times before?? I asked you to contact me so I can get you some work to do. angry
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by rowlandwhy: 2:30pm On Oct 03, 2007
these are days of resting,
day of sleeping in the office due to work presure may still arise.
so keep cool and use this time to do something good for yourself
OKAY!
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by shushu(f): 3:03pm On Oct 03, 2007
Most jobs become boring at some stage or the other.For crying out loud, i am on nairaland now because i have had nothing to do for the last 3hours.

Like one of the writers suggested,find something to keep yourself busy with.If you have unrestricted internet access, learn something new about anything, if you are a christian, read and learn more bible related things.I also sometimes work on my blog in my spare time.If you want something interesting to read now, i'll send you my blog page.

What i would not reccommend you to do now is to resign your job. It simply makes you look unserious if you do not stay in a place for at least 6months.

Having said that, welcome to the real world of the everyday grind.

cheers
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by damoche07(m): 3:10pm On Oct 03, 2007
Hi friend,
       I think i am fit enough to advise u on this issue because av been through it,infact am not yet through with it. The basic problem lies in the inability of most,(most not all)Nigerian companies to articulate a program for their new intakes most especilally fresh grads.after the elaborate recruitment processes u expect to be integrated into the system seamlessly.its not always so.Its quite frustrating and i understand how u feel finding yourself underutilised despite your certifications and maybe some experience.But i can tell u that u will be more frustated if u resign after a month.
      Here are my advice.These advice are based on the what i used and am still using to breakthrough that frustating ordeal.1)'Wear' a great attitude to work.an attitude that exudes a readiness to learn and contribute.at least if they don't have the patience to teach you some things,they will definetely listen to your contributions.2)reduce the time u spend on that computer browsin the net.everybody knows u are just browsin and that doesnt speak well of u.u think your boss doesnt have time for u but i bet it,he is watching u even as busy as he is.he is watching your attitude and commitment.don't continue to give a wrong ompression by browsing all the time and going for lunch.3)frustrate them.yes,frustrate them.u have to frustrate them into giving u something to do.stick around them and let them know u are always available.having a great attitude and sticking around are great frustrating tools.4)be humble to start with jobs that are below your certifications or experience.i personally make sure i carry our equipments whenever we go around for presentations because i work in team.if u are senior officer and u are not expected to do the 'lesser jobs',attempt to do it anyway.that will help break the initial barriers encountered at new workplaces.Meg Whitman,the CEO of E-bay said that P&G told her to measure the width of shampoo bottles when she first joined them.she was a harvard grad by then but she still had to do it.5)Finally,try and find a more relaxed time to talk to your boss about getting involved.Let him know u are there to contribute and not just to use up  bandwith and eat lunch.he will remember u when something crops up.
    I think thats all i got for now.Someone else can add something more reasonble than all the jargons i have said.So,u still have the chance to browse,very soon u wont have the much time to visit Nairaland at work again.take care.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by freelance(m): 3:16pm On Oct 03, 2007
Also always make sure u form busy and don't just appear idle cheesy

Wish u all the best wink
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 03, 2007
@damonche77
That was a master piece and why do you have to call it jargons lipsrsealed

@poster
I wish you the best as you follow suite to all that has been written!
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by labiyemmy(m): 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2007
then leave or make it more challenging.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by my2cents(m): 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2007
whether or not the job is boring, in these globalization days, where you job could go to china or india for less money, you need to continuously develop and mature your skills. That way, when something better comes along and/or you are retrenched/sacked, you have marketable skills you can use to sell yourself.

I hope this helps
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by femar99(m): 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2007
It's like that at times, never mind. just do whatever you are assigned to do and be enthusiastic about it. In 3-4 months time, I bet you will come back to complain about the volume of work you're given to do.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2007
;d :d ;d :d ;d :d ;d :d
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by NnaNna4(m): 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2007
congratulations, you were the only one taken.That makes you more important.Do i hear you say,  you are too smart. I think your boss is smarter.Dont be in a hurry you will have enough of it.If am you i will start with the other colleagues to know how to get round to your boss.Just remember they have more rags.The last thing you will do is quit. I think you just want attention .Enjoy coos d time is now
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2007
Don't worry, you will soon be complaining that its too much. I would say enjoy this time now and use it to do some hobbies or learn something, like drawing or programming or something that will better yourself.

think about it this way, you're being paid for your time to better yourself grin.
Beats sitting at home.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by yimiton(f): 8:19am On Oct 04, 2007
@ poster,
It's possible they need you to take time to get used to the environment before the work load comes in. It's unfortunate though because this is real waste of human resources because with a good orientation, any intelligent person can start work immediately.
For now, take time to develop yourself, watch, observe, ask questions and prepare yourself for challenging jobs.
But girl, aren't you lucky! My own job is too demanding, I wasn't even given a day to rest before I got all the job on my table. wish I could trade places with you every other week!
ENJOY!

By the way, I just read damoche07 post and you got all you need to make things work for you. That is a really nice write up.
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Pain(m): 8:35am On Oct 04, 2007
Go Join The Marines. I bet u'd not be short of challenges when u are shipped out to Baghdad or Kabul.

Believe me its a lotta fun!!
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by zanjero: 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2007
I dont know your name but i think you are among the many nigerians wasting their skills.Many are waiting for you out there and yu are sitting in front of the PC.Well i was like yu some 3 months back until i found that what we all need is know our innate potentials and where to expend them.i will like to know where you are domiciled and am very sure i have a solution yu will never be able to pay me for, just give me a call on 08062446675 or email me before 8th of oct.,2007.My email is nduforchrist@yahoo.com.JUST the right information is what yu need, i agree yu are yu are over qualified to work for somebody but for urself and generation, will be expecting your call or mail
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by tigerlily: 6:52pm On Oct 04, 2007
hey sista.wat r u saying do u want to trade that position of urs 4 joblessness. angryomo no just try am.u call am fine face job .belive me it is beta dan nuttin.ole girl sit tight shocked
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by Bamiprof(m): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2007
You should try to go the extra mile and make yourself available always
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by sylvao2000(m): 9:36pm On Oct 05, 2007
@poster having same problem but with a little different working in a family business but nothing Challenging just bored all day doing nothing but chat all working hours meeting people over the net both good and bad people, what do l do they dont let me work somewere else, l am just tired l feel l am wasting all my life with this kind of job. l wish l could get alternative pulling out of this trap. good salary but doing just zero ( 0 ) thing
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by allway(m): 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2007
WE HAVE HIGH QUALITY, HEALTHY CATFISH FINGERLINGS , POST FINGERLINGS, JUVENILE CATFISHES FOR SALE AT VERY REASONABLE PRICES
WE ARE ALWAYNAWAY FARMS LOCATED AT BLOCK 260 FLAT 1 MILE 2 ESTATE, LAGOS, NIGERIA,
WE HAVE MORE THAN 70,000 POST FINGERLINGS AND JUVENILES ON A REGULAR BASIS,
YOU CAN CONTACT US ON ALLWAYNAWAYFARMS@YAHOO.COM or on our hot lines 08068097802, 08023708382,
THANK YOU
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by kolorichie(m): 10:50pm On Oct 06, 2007
What a kind thinking, i share your passion, and all you have to do is to keep up the good smiley and to be on your best behaviour in what even you do cool, pls don't give up
Re: My Job Is Not Challenging by omogenaija(f): 7:02pm On Oct 07, 2007
thank God that u have a job and pray to find one that is more challenging.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Challenges Of Being An Accountant / Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? / Should I Go And Work In The Uk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.