Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

Govt bans 17 drugs - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Govt bans 17 drugs (2955 Views)

Cancer Drugs A Cure For HIV – Says Researchers / FG Bans The Sale & Consumption Of Local Gin (Ogogoro) / Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt bans 17 drugs by solo2(m): 3:16pm On Apr 17, 2005
It came to me as a surprise to hear that Government has baned most of the drugs we can afford to buy, mostly for the treatment of malaria and other problems. But my fear is, will the local companies be able produce the drugs in enough quantities for our need?
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by Seun(m): 7:15pm On Apr 21, 2005
Solo2, thanks for pointing this out.

The banned drugs are:
»- Paracetamol tablets and syrups.
»- Cotrimoxazole tablets and syrups.
»- Metronidazole tablets and syrups.
»- Sulphadoxine Pyrimethamine tablets
»- Chloroquine tablets and syrups
»- Heamatinic tablets (such as ferrous sulphate and ferrous gluconate and folic acid tablets)
»- Vitamin B complex tablets (except modified release formulations)
»- Multivitamin Tablets, capsules and syrups (except special formulations)
»- Aspirin tablets (except modified release formulations and soluble aspirin)
»- Magnesium Trisilicate tablets and suspensions.
»- Piperazine tablets and syrups.
»- Levamisole tablets and syrups.
»- Clotrimazole cream
»- Ampicillin/Cloxacillin combinations.
»- Ointment-penicilin/gentamycin
»- Intravenous Fluid (dextrose, normal saline)
»- Pyrantel Pamoate tablets and syrups
»- Disinfectants and Germicides.

So should these drugs have been banned? please invite doctors and pharmacists to the forum so they can give us more informed opinion!
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by Hunter(m): 11:31am On Apr 23, 2005
hi, it's me again smiley

Just wondering if there are any links to newspaper sites etc that can confirm these bannings, as they include many products i would bring from australia for things like maleria prevention and head ache treatment etc.

Though they didn't even look in my bag that had my medicines in it at lagos when i was there 3 weeks ago tongue
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by Seun(m): 2:24pm On Apr 23, 2005
I copied the above list verbatim from the first page of this week's Sunday Guardian. I couldn't get a link on the web.
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by solo2(m): 1:10pm On Apr 25, 2005
In real case it is the importation of these drugs that was banned, but I still insist that our local drug manufacturing companies will not be able to meet up with the demand locally.
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by WesleyanA(f): 6:35am On Aug 12, 2005
omg that is bad sad. nigerian's can't even produce very effective medication (minus the herbs)
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by hotangel2(f): 7:19am On Aug 12, 2005
This is extremely sad. I was happy that NIgerians have medicines to cure malaria..and here they are, banning chloroquine!!!
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by abuguy64(m): 2:40pm On Aug 22, 2005
Seun,
What was the govt's excuse for such an action.I guess they banned the importation,not use of the drugs!Angel,Chloroquine is no longer effective for malaria(caused by P.Falciparium),common in Nigeria, and most of Africa.New drugs,very expensive has been introduced-Combination of Fansidar and Artesunate. Most of the drugs on the list are important for everyday medical practice,but could be readily produced in Nigeria(govt thnking I believe).Banning them is an attempt to encourage local production.But will this work?! It would only lead to them being more expensive,and open the way for fake drugs-unless adequate measures are taken. Seun,you may have to give us an update of what the drug companies are saying about this!If they can produce HIV drugs,then these should not be a problem!
Re: Govt bans 17 drugs by Greatpeter(m): 2:47pm On Aug 22, 2005
Don't mind our govt. I still prescribe most of these drugs as there's nothing wrong with them per se.

If you want to ban these drugs then provide alternatives to getting this drugs for common men's affordable.

Our govt. is myopic and does not have interst in poor men.

What a pity.

(1) (Reply)

Low Sperm Count / Help! Help! A Friend Need Ur Advice / Alpha Vmax Helps In To Improve Fertility For Men And Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.