Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,847 members, 7,798,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation (5747 Views)

CCT To Arraign Orubebe For False Asset Declaration & Acceptance Of N70m Bribe / EFCC Chairman Lamorde Sues The Sun Newspaper For N1billion / Gov. Chime At London Hospital For ENT Condition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Emekamex(m): 7:31am On Dec 22, 2011
Enugu state governor sues newspaper for false allegations. Link below,
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/alleged-sex-scandal-chime-sues/
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:22am On Dec 22, 2011
The f**kers are not smiling now, are they? Useless Nigeria Junk Journalist. Wat-ever money dey collected for that smear campaign is now stock in their throat as they choke. They forgot they were dealing with a barrister.

"Nothing but big things". Chime Sulliven
grin grin grin
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Dec 22, 2011
Thu 22 Dec 
Alleged sex scandal: Chime sues
On December 22, 2011 · In News 

BY TONY EDIKE
ENUGU—Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State has slammed a N2.7 billion libel suit against the publication of a story, alleging that the younger sister of his wife had delivered a baby for him.

The governor in suit filed at the High Court Registry Enugu is asking for a declaration that by printing and publication of the article,the defendant was liable to the plaintiff for libel.

He is also seeking general damages in the sum of N1 billion and another N1 billion as exemplary/aggravated damages for libel.

In addition, the governor is also asking for an order compelling the defendant to retract the publication and tender an apology, “which retraction and apology shall be published in the same manner and given the same prominence as the publication of the libel”, as well as in three national daily newspapers with wide circulation in Nigeria.

He is also demanding the sum of N7.5 million as cost of the action.

The plaintiff in his statement of claim, averred that the words used in the story were intended to refer to “and indeed referred to and were understood to refer to him”.

He added that a substantial number of readers of the publication who read the offensive publication remembered the content, while a number of his friends, associates and family members told him that they were shocked and scandalized by the contents of the publication.

The governor further stated that the defendant knew or ought to have known that the publication was baseless and false and that it was recklessly and maliciously made as a deliberate and calculated act to disparage him as the defendant, contrary to acceptable standards in the practice of journalism, did not make any attempt to either ascertain the truth of the story contained in the publication “nor did it seek to obtain the plaintiff’s side of the story before rushing to publish same”.

The statement further read: “The false, malicious and libelous statements published by the defendant have assassinated the plaintiff’s character and caused him emotional injury and trauma, which injury and trauma still persist at present in view of the non-interaction of the said defamatory statements by the defendant.”

Confirming the action, a close aide of the governor said while he (governor) had the highest regards for the media, he was committed to ensuring that not only should any false publication aimed

at unjustly bringing him to public ridicule go unpunished, but also that the journalism profession was generally practiced within established ethics and standards.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/alleged-sex-scandal-chime-sues/
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:33am On Dec 22, 2011
Kai N2.75 billion will definately leave the muthaf**ker bankrupt as it is, with e-news readily available for free. That serve them right.  tongue
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by egift(m): 9:56am On Dec 22, 2011
I love this. Give them hell. It would have been very wrong to allow this madness go unattended to.

Carry go!
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by KnowAll(m): 10:15am On Dec 22, 2011
[size=18pt]I think the Wife's Sister's baby should go for a paternity test( DNA Test) in an independent and neutral Lab. Determining who the 'rightful' or as the case may be the 'wrongful' parent is not rocket science. If the Gov wants N2.5 Billion then he should agree to a no holds bar independent paternity Test.

Any Court ruling that does not tow this line of action or adjudge that ‘a test’ must be determined or carried out as a ‘prima facia’ evidence, is a Court ruling not ready to unravel the truth, dispel the rumour or as the case may be comfirm the slanderous nature of the libel.

Awarding such a huge and gigantic reward to the Governor without exhausting the obvious lines of probity would be a sham Judgment to say the least.

The Governor’s pronunciation (insisting that he is not the father of the child) should not be taken as the Unclad truth, it should be probed and rightfully so,  examined according to basic common scientific tenets, any ruling other than the aforementioned would be a Kangaroo ruling and a joke if not a slap on the integrity of the Judiciary[/size]
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 22, 2011
@op, how about ur post about boko haram and the nuclear weapons now? I heard they got the bombs from pakistan. How true is this? looooolz
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by efisher(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2011
If (or when) Chime wins this case, the journalists would have learnt the lesson of their lives. This claim is enough to roast anybody financially.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Ndkings1(m): 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2011
They say : to every rumor (expecialy scandal) there must be some elements of truth.
I dont trust this man
even b4 dis rumor aríse,he was a comfirmd WOMANIZER.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Konnektions146(m): 2:43pm On Dec 22, 2011
this news is everywere in enugu and people are sayin its true but cos i dont know, lets watch andd see but a paternity test will be a good one
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Baawaa(m): 2:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
2.7b ko 2.7t ni army robber!!
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2011
This sistafoking governor should prove his innocence by conducting  a DNA test and make the result available to the public instead of yarning rubbish.Ashawo gomina,how did he become a governor in the first instance ?
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Buzzingup: 2:48pm On Dec 22, 2011
I think the Wife's Sister's baby should go for a paternity test( DNA Test) in an independent and neutral Lab. Determining who the 'rightful' or as the case may be the 'wrongful' parent is not rocket science. If the Gov wants N2.5 Billion then he should agree to a no holds bar independent paternity Test.

Any Court ruling that does not tow this line of action or adjudge that ‘a test’ must be determined or carried out as a ‘prima facia’ evidence, is a Court ruling not ready to unravel the truth, dispel the rumour or as the case may be comfirm the slanderous nature of the libel.

Awarding such a huge and gigantic reward to the Governor without exhausting the obvious lines of probity would be a sham Judgment to say the least.

The Governor’s pronunciation (insisting that he is not the father of the child) should not be taken as the Unclad truth, it should be probed and rightfully so,  examined according to basic common scientific tenets, any ruling other than the aforementioned would be a Kangaroo ruling and a joke if not a slap on the integrity of the Judiciary.

Is the baby looking for his dad or does the mother crying wolf? What is their business? This will serve them well.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by chelseabmw(m): 2:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
Good!
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Soundmind(m): 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2011
Looking at the rate young women are used as conference material in enugu state, this story appears more true than lie.
Recall, the barrister made governor like oringo too much. In oringo arena, any thing can happen.
Possibly, the governor want to wisely kill the story and continue in his oringomania.
From this court case, they will settle out of court and the story will be out of circulation and almost out of mind.
Mr barrister, i trust your congo
I de shine well well.

Ekenekwam unu
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by KnowAll(m): 3:31pm On Dec 22, 2011
Is the baby looking for his dad or does the mother crying wolf? What is their business? This will serve them well.

So what is the suit all about then, dem say na you impregnate your wife’s sister, you say NO,  na lie, dem say do paternity test, you say wetin concern anybody, na so dem dey give person N2.7 Billion without any proof or otherwise of the case,   Na wa oh!!  
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Kulas: 4:18pm On Dec 22, 2011
This is my State Governor and when the news spread last time,the first thing i did was to make a call to people in Enugu that i know have credible information about the happenings and they said it is true.Dont forget,i am from the same Enugu west senatorial zone,same as Governor Chime and i know Governor Chime home town.I was not there to see things myself as i did not based in my home state, but all the calls i made confirmed that it is true.So i think wat my dear governor/brother would have done is to subject himself to DNA test.This will really prove him innocent if he claim that he is,rather than resorting to a court issue.Conducting a DNA test is not swearing to an "ALUSI" (Shrine),it is technological confirmatory test.In our side which governor chime knows,this kind of thing is never taken so easy.It is "ALU"(an abomination).So let him prove his innocent by undergoing the DNA test.Until that is done and he confirmed innocent,then i will retract my statement that "I am disappointed in governor Chime".
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by kokoA(m): 4:21pm On Dec 22, 2011
^^^^^

I guess you hid yourself in the room when the governor was b@ng!ng the babe to abi? undecided undecided
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Odunnu: 4:38pm On Dec 22, 2011
This case would to a large extent tell us who is right and who is banging who.
For some very weird reasons, I dont believe Chime is guilty.
*We are watching*
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Oluchi007(f): 4:54pm On Dec 22, 2011
I thought the Vanguard had more integrity than that. shocked

Giving journalists a bad name.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by egift(m): 5:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
Konnektions146:

this news is everywere in enugu and people are sayin its true but cos i dont know, lets watch andd see but a paternity test will be a good one
[size=14pt]The worst is that the said girl is not even pregnant let alone having a baby[/size]
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
Oluchi007:

I thought the Vanguard had more integrity than that. shocked

Giving journalists a bad name.
Abegi the issue is not about vanguard.did chime knack her sister in-law apako ? Yes or no ?
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
I don't think if Chime was guilty he would come out to sue for false accusation because in the process a paternity test will be taken. Anyway, let's see how it goes and i pray that if found innocent he's compensated with 2.7 billion naira. That will go a long way in curbing the nonsensical journalism in Nigeria.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by kasiem(m): 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2011
Saharareporters will be d next to suffer for rumour peddling.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Mobinga: 6:05pm On Dec 22, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=18pt]I think the Wife's Sister's baby should go for a paternity test( DNA Test) in an independent and neutral Lab. Determining who the 'rightful' or as the case may be the 'wrongful' parent is not rocket science. If the Gov wants N2.5 Billion then he should agree to a no holds bar independent paternity Test.

The Governor’s pronunciation (insisting that he is not the father of the child) should not be taken as the Unclad truth, it should be probed and rightfully so,  examined according to basic common scientific tenets, any ruling other than the aforementioned would be a Kangaroo ruling and a joke if not a slap on the integrity of the Judiciary[/size]

Can't you convey your message without using big and bold fonts?
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by zebudaya(m): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2011
Mobinga:

Can't you convey your message without using big and bold fonts?

Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. KnowAll we are not blind. Your use of bold fonts is unnecessary and very annoying.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by dmainboss: 8:37pm On Dec 22, 2011
Nairaland peeps self and their ignorance. It is not for Chime to prove anything. It is on the newspaper to prove it had compelling evidence before publishing such a story. It doesnt matter whether it is true or not. If the newspaper did not have enough evidence to publish such a story, they are done. I am speaking from a legal perspective. Forget the sentiments. Chime is not the defendant. He does not need to defend anything. It doesnt matter whether the story is true or not. It is wrong for a public media outfit to start printing things without real evidence. They better have serious evidence or they are fried. We must not enter the sentimental boat and start talking about the story being everywhere. Journalism can be a good tool for improving society but the present Nigerian journalistic landscape is really shiiite! I hope if they are found guilty, it becomes a precedence for people to start suing for libel.

We want corruption and other vices exposed. But we do not want destructive propaganda journalism. Maybe Sahara reporters will be next!
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 22, 2011
dmainboss:

Nairaland peeps self and their ignorance. It is not for Chime to prove anything. It is on the newspaper to prove it had compelling evidence before publishing such a story. It doesnt matter whether it is true or not. If the newspaper did not have enough evidence to publish such a story, they are done. I am speaking from a legal perspective. Forget the sentiments. Chime is not the defendant. He does not need to defend anything. It doesnt matter whether the story is true or not. It is wrong for a public media outfit to start printing things without real evidence. They better have serious evidence or they are fried. We must not enter the sentimental boat and start talking about the story being everywhere. Journalism can be a good tool for improving society but the present Nigerian journalistic landscape is really shiiite! I hope if they are found guilty, it becomes a precedence for people to start suing for libel.

We want corruption and other vices exposed. But we do not want destructive propaganda journalism. Maybe Sahara reporters will be next!
and you think if a journalist approach this guy,he's going to tell him that he truly fu-cked his in-law ? If you have been around Naija politicians,you'd know that s e x means nothing to them.I know one idiiot like that even invites girls to his office and catch his fun there.
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by dmainboss: 8:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
~Bluetooth:

and you think if a journalist approach this guy,he's going to tell him that he truly fu-cked his in-law ? If you have been around Naija politicians,you'd know that  s e x  means nothing to them.I know one idiiot like that even invites girls to his office and catch his fun there.

What are you saying bro. If you cant get evidence, dont print it. simple. If you print it without evidence, it is rumour and defamation. If you really need to print it, then get the evidence, even if you have to spend money to get evidence. Its called investigative journalism. There must be rules in society or we will become babarians!

if evidence is not required to print stories, then we will have a world of free blackmail
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 22, 2011
dmainboss:

Nairaland peeps self and their ignorance. It is not for Chime to prove anything. It is on the newspaper to prove it had compelling evidence before publishing such a story. It doesnt matter whether it is true or not. If the newspaper did not have enough evidence to publish such a story, they are done. I am speaking from a legal perspective. Forget the sentiments. Chime is not the defendant. He does not need to defend anything. It doesnt matter whether the story is true or not. It is wrong for a public media outfit to start printing things without real evidence. They better have serious evidence or they are fried. We must not enter the sentimental boat and start talking about the story being everywhere. Journalism can be a good tool for improving society but the present Nigerian journalistic landscape is really shiiite!  I hope if they are found guilty, it becomes a precedence for people to start suing for libel.

+1
egift:

[size=14pt]The worst is that the said girl is not even pregnant let alone having a baby[/size]
confirmed ?
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 22, 2011
dmainboss:

What are you saying bro. If you cant get evidence, dont print it. simple. If you print it without evidence, it is rumour and defamation. If you really need to print it, then get the evidence, even if you have to spend money to get evidence. Its called investigative journalism. There must be rules in society or we will become babarians!

if evidence is not required to print stories, then we will have a world of free blackmail
+100
Re: Gov. Chime Sues Newspaper For False Accusation by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 22, 2011
dmainboss:

Even if this scandal is genuine,you'd still see the governor denying it.we are talking about a man that slept with two sisters and i wont expect him to accept such allegation.if na you,will you accept it ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

APDA Leadership Tussle: Court Set To Deliver Judgement Today September 8 / IPOB: Operation Show Your Näked Wife PICS, VIDEO / 2023 Presidency: Insecurity An Arrow Deliberately Aimed At South-East - Ohaneze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.