Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,744 members, 7,806,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? (2455 Views)

Was Adam Truly The First Man On Earth? / Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? / How To Forgive And Forget For Good. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by babymine(f): 5:06pm On Mar 13, 2006
I've heard the phrase "Forgive and Forget" and it makes me wonder. Is it possible to truly forgive someone who's hurt you so much and also forget he or she ever hurt you. I know one can forgive but how do you just forget about it? I'd really like contributions on this. grin
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by tejuoso1(f): 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2006
forget means you still remember but you don't use what they did wrong against them like, someone didn't borrow u something u need, then later it was her turn to borrow you can borrow if you have don't be like she didnot borrow me the other time what makes her think i'll borrow her now.
NB: you can only forget if you let her realize what she did and she says sorry or else you are the dense one. cos u can't be nice to people that are not nice to you.never show your enemies love_ lil kim.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by Z4M4eva(f): 12:44pm On Mar 14, 2006
Yeah.It is possible to 'truly' forgive someone.But yeah I admit it can be a lil bit hard to 'forget'.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by uniben82(f): 4:25pm On Mar 14, 2006
That phrase to "forgive and forget", reminds me of another saying "it is human to err and divine to forgive" (sorry if that doesn't sound quite right)-which leads me to believe that it’s impossible to whole heartedly forgive without divine intervention. We may try to put unpleasant or negative experiences behind us. We may try to tuck it away. We may even try to place it on the back burner. But it'll always be there because there'll always be a moment where one is reminded of that which one had tried to forget. In my opinion, that phrase is a tough pill to swallow-however; I think most of us try to carry on without constantly trying to drag the past into the present. Besides, history tends to repeat itself and if you don't or can’t remember, you're bound to make the same mistakes. I think I've rambled enough for now. Too much coffee I think! grin
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by Babybee(f): 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2006
I can forgive and how do i know i've forgiven,wen i remember wat happened and it does not hurt me anymore or i don't hate the person on seeing him or her then i know i've forgiven.but then its not that easy to forget,of which i don't think i can personally. undecided
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by TYPOP(m): 9:43pm On Mar 24, 2006
To forget does not mean it is out of your memory. NO. Because your mind is not born again.
It only means you intentionally push the thought out of your thinking flow anytime i9t pops up. It'll try to come - you push it back.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by reniks(f): 8:59am On Mar 25, 2006
We can truly forgive.It may also be able to truly forget depending on the meaning of forget we are looking at.Forget could mean losing the facts from the mind,unable to recall.Now unless you have amnesia this would be hard.Forget could also mean to overlook intentionally,this would pretty much be easy to do.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by babymine(f): 11:17am On Apr 11, 2006
In other words, we can forgive but we can't really forget. We just push the thot back anytime it comes up. Right?
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:23am On Apr 11, 2006
i cn forgive bt i cnt forget
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by babymine(f): 11:32am On Apr 11, 2006
Rhoda, then that's not true forgiveness. grin cheesy grin smiley
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by bolaoni(m): 5:25pm On Apr 12, 2006
Forgiving and forgetting?

Hmmm, a tough one. Yes you can forgive and forget. How?

If you decide to forgive someone, then you can forget the hurt by pushing the thot to the back of your mind whenever you see that person and feel like retaliating.

The thought will always come, but it doesn't have to take control of you or how you react to the person. That is true forgiveness.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:37pm On Apr 13, 2006
babymine:

Rhoda, then that's not true forgiveness. grin cheesy grin smiley
U gt me der gal cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by babymine(f): 10:35am On Apr 14, 2006
grin cheesy wink
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by TYPOP(m): 2:20pm On May 06, 2006
@Rhodalyn ,

you can forgive if you really want to. It depends on you.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by babymine(f): 10:00am On May 08, 2006
Sometimes we forgive but just won't let go. We hold on to the offence.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by lunafish(f): 7:42pm On May 12, 2006
I can forgive but sometimes I don't. I just can't forgive things like paedophilia, trafficking (modern day) slavery, sexual abuse, domestic violence, psychological abuse etc.
I don't care who you are because if I forgive those things then I accept them-Helllll no.

I forgive forgivable things-petty things
As forgetting: I'd be a fool to forget.
The past is a great teacher.

I won't forget what Bush senior did. If less people did-maybe his spawn (lil Satan) Bush jr wouldn't be repeating history.
You see?
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by gbadex1(m): 7:50pm On May 12, 2006
like the saying goes, "to forgive is human, to forget is divine". either ways, WE all can forgive, but can't forget.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by lunafish(f): 8:06pm On May 12, 2006
The saying is "To err is human, to forgive divine" Genius

Err-error

I don't care is you rape anyone-there is nor forgiveness for me. it's murder. slow, detrimental mentally crippling murder.
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by eveseh(f): 7:36pm On May 14, 2006
i can forgive but not forget
Re: Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? by ajia23(m): 8:30pm On May 14, 2006
I forgive easily, but it is debatable if I forget. Let me illustrate what I mean. For instance, you get close to someone, then as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt, this person then disrespects you. After a while, you forgive the person and you are willing to talk to the person again, and even play, only this time you will limit the level of play.
Have you forgotten that way?

(1) (Reply)

What About First Fruit? / Spiritual 3rd Eye / Religious Section - PAGAN / ATHEIST STRIKE 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.