Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. - Computers (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. (65311 Views)

Post Your India Web Proxy problems Here / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by FiremanJr(m): 2:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
Can someone please give me a detailed guide on how best to run windows 8 and mac osx at the same time on a macbookpro? Or a link to a guide online.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2013
Fireman Jr: Can someone please give me a detailed guide on how best to run windows 8 and mac osx at the same time on a macbookpro? Or a link to a guide online.

Use parallels desktop for Mac

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

The above link will explain how to use it, you can use the video tutorials
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by FiremanJr(m): 8:09pm On Jul 24, 2013
Thanks
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by malign(m): 8:25am On Jul 25, 2013
I have a very peculiar problem.

My macbook pro was in sleep mode and died, I tried to charge it back up, and the green indicator light came on, but the laptop didn't power up. I managed to boot in via SMC reset, where it stated "no batteries installed"; after a while, I gave it to a friend (I don't own screwdrivers), to peer into and check for burned parts, he tore it down, and put it back together, everything seemed to be in order.
Now, I returned home, and tried the SMC reset again a fair few times. The orange indicator light came on! It was up! I wasn't worried anymore, until I discovered that the trackpad, nor the keyboard were functional any longer.
I did, however, notice that the power button did work, and upon boot, the CMD+OPTION+P+R, CMD+R, CMD+SHIFT+ALT keys would do their respective jobs.
This is so unusual. And I don't want to tear it down any further. (I'm really not in a country where experience with Mac hardware is a given, and until I am, I'd rather shy away from poking at the hardware any further.)
Kindly help.
(EDIT: The Macbook Pro is a 15-inch, Early 2011)
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 8:40am On Jul 25, 2013
malign:

My macbook pro was in sleep mode and died, I tried to charge it back up, and the green indicator light came on, but the laptop didn't power up. I managed to boot in via SMC reset, where it stated "no batteries installed"; after a while, I gave it to a friend (I don't own screwdrivers), to peer into and check for burned parts, he tore it down, and put it back together, everything seemed to be in order.
Now, I returned home, and tried the SMC reset again a fair few times. The orange indicator light came on! It was up! I wasn't worried anymore, until I discovered that the trackpad, nor the keyboard were functional any longer.
I did, however, notice that the power button did work, and upon boot, the CMD+OPTION+P+R, CMD+R, CMD+SHIFT+ALT keys would do their respective jobs.
This is so unusual. And I don't want to tear it down any further. (I'm really not in a country where experience with Mac hardware is a given, and until I am, I'd rather shy away from poking at the hardware any further.)
Kindly help.

I believe your friend might have made bad coupling... the ribbons or connectors inside might be out of place... I will advise you to have him tear it down and check it again... when everything seem to be working... sell it and get a new one. thats my advice.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by malign(m): 8:45am On Jul 25, 2013
benalvino:

I believe your friend might have made bad coupling... the ribbons or connectors inside might be out of place... I will advise you to have him tear it down and check it again... when everything seem to be working... sell it and get a new one. thats my advice.

Yeah, I think it might be the ribbons as well. I'll have it torn down, and consider getting a new laptop if necessary. I'll probably just let it go for a fraction of the original price so I can just buy a newer one. Such a pain. Thank you.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 3:05pm On Jul 25, 2013
malign:

Kindly help.

It seems like your Macbook pro just went into what is known as "coma mode". It goes into this mode for various reasons, but it does so generally to protect the system.
To wake it up, you need to depress the power switch (keep holding it down) and press the Option+Control+Shift keys. Keep these keys held for a while counting to 5 and then release. You Mac should then come out of its coma and be ready to go.
The really annoying thing about your situation is that it seems like the guy that tore it down has probably done something wrong in putting it back together again.
Please avoid taking your Macbook pro apart, except in extreme cases.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by malign(m): 5:20pm On Jul 25, 2013
Olisa74:

It seems like your Macbook pro just went into what is known as "coma mode". It goes into this mode for various reasons, but it does so generally to protect the system.
To wake it up, you need to depress the power switch (keep holding it down) and press the Option+Control+Shift keys. Keep these keys held for a while counting to 5 and then release. You Mac should then come out of its coma and be ready to go.
The really annoying thing about your situation is that it seems like the guy that tore it down has probably done something wrong in putting it back together again.
Please avoid taking your Macbook pro apart, except in extreme cases.

re-read what was written again.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Yvete(f): 6:00pm On Jul 25, 2013
Halleluyah! I got windows 8 running on my laptop now. Thank you., thank you .....thank y'all!

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 6:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
Yvete: Halleluyah! I got windows 8 running on my laptop now. Thank you., thank you .....thank y'all!

grin

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by malign(m): 12:15pm On Jul 27, 2013
benalvino:

Tore it down, looks like the ribbon ripped (not sure how that even happened, but someone's obviously removed it forcibly so I'd buy another, charging me N45,000 for a fix).

I felt like I was being conned, could you affirm how much a new ribbon costs? My 13" Air doesn't share the same ribbon as my 15" pro.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 12:30pm On Jul 27, 2013
malign:

Tore it down, looks like the ribbon ripped (not sure how that even happened, but someone's obviously removed it forcibly so I'd buy another, charging me N45,000 for a fix).

I felt like I was being conned, could you affirm how much a new ribbon costs? My 13" Air doesn't share the same ribbon as my 15" pro.

Not even close to 1000 naira... If only ribbon was 45k how much will charger cost. Or screen?

Its conned. Try another person take the original one n buy something similar. Count the teeths of the ribbon make sure it matches then connect it.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by malign(m): 4:20pm On Jul 27, 2013
benalvino:

Not even close to 1000 naira... If only ribbon was 45k how much will charger cost. Or screen?

Its conned. Try another person take the original one n buy something similar. Count the teeths of the ribbon make sure it matches then connect it.

Yeah, I thought so. Are there specific ribbons, or is it something that is tailored to a specific model? The 13' Air one was much shorter, but I'll try to deal with it in Abuja.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2013
malign:

Yeah, I thought so. Are there specific ribbons, or is it something that is tailored to a specific model? The 13' Air one was much shorter, but I'll try to deal with it in Abuja.

definitely not specific ribbon... like my Hp laptop when i had ribbon issues i just did it my self with ribbon i customize... i believe its same thing they will do since you an hardly Get the specific ribbon anywhere in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by malign(m): 1:20am On Jul 28, 2013
benalvino:

definitely not specific ribbon... like my Hp laptop when i had ribbon issues i just did it my self with ribbon i customize... i believe its same thing they will do since you an hardly Get the specific ribbon anywhere in nigeria.

If that's the case. People are truly horrible. Thanks.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 8:13am On Jul 28, 2013
malign:

If that's the case. People are truly horrible. Thanks.

Go to place the repair DVD and stereo systems... Show them the ribbon and the will give you something that will work... They will be happy to sell it for you for 400naira. Make sure it matches the original one. If it doesn't they can customize it to match.

2 Likes

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by amor4ce(m): 10:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
Olisa74, I've returned (kindly refer to the 1st page).
In February I went to Ikeja in search of iShopA.com but could not find their office and calls were not picked. so i had someone in computer village look at it for me. He got it to start and said the hard disk needed replacement. Do you think that is all to it?
When it is switched on the chime is heard, the screen comes on as grey and the apple logo is also there. After some seconds it switches off on its own and reboots and the cycle continues.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 7:13am On Aug 07, 2013
amor4ce: Olisa74, I've returned (kindly refer to the 1st page).
In February I went to Ikeja in search of iShopA.com but could not find their office and calls were not picked. so i had someone in computer village look at it for me. He got it to start and said the hard disk needed replacement. Do you think that is all to it?
When it is switched on the chime is heard, the screen comes on as grey and the apple logo is also there. After some seconds it switches off on its own and reboots and the cycle continues.

From what you have described, your Mac cannot access the OS to boot from, and keeps recycling the process in further attempts to boot. The guy at computer village is right, it seems like your hard drive has died. Once you replace your hard drive and re install the OS, your Mac should work just fine.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by deji2009(m): 6:43pm On Aug 08, 2013
Olisa74:

From what you have described, your Mac cannot access the OS to boot from, and keeps recycling the process in further attempts to boot. The guy at computer village is right, it seems like your hard drive has died. Once you replace your hard drive and re install the OS, your Mac should work just fine.

cheesy
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by amor4ce(m): 7:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
there have been rumours that OS X Maverick might be incompatible with my early 2008 macbook, chai!

Olisa74, I really appreciate your feedback.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Tochi4life: 7:17am On Aug 09, 2013
Kasiye:
Where are u located, is it with retina display, hdd or ssd, and a picture will help
Can't post pics on this thread but I've created a thread for it. it's a 2011 model core i5 the pics and price are there. pls reply on my thread let's not derail here.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 8:22am On Aug 09, 2013
amor4ce: there have been rumours that OS X Maverick might be incompatible with my early 2008 macbook, chai!

Olisa74, I really appreciate your feedback.

First find out your Mac’s model:

It’s easy to find which Mac you’re running; simply click on the Apple logo on the top left hand corner of the display and then click on ‘About This Mac’. From here, you can find out which Mac model you have. You have to be connected to the internet for the model to show up, otherwise you won’t see anything under your Mac’s name.

List of supported Macs:

iMac (from mid-2007 to the latest model)
MacBook (late 2008, 13-inch Aluminum and early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (mid-2009 or later, 13-inch model; mid/later 2007 model or later, 15-inch model; late 2007 or later, 17-inch model)
MacBook Air (late 2008 or later models)
Mac mini (early 2009 models and later)
Xserve (2008 and later models)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 models)

http://www.redmondpie.com/will-my-mac-run-os-x-mavericks-check-compatibility-now/
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by honeyfave: 8:17am On Aug 13, 2013
Please I need your advise on which macbook pro to buy. I need a spec with high storage capacity, 750gb and 64gb ram or higher. It must be able to withstand wear and tear, last longer and must be a latest version. Don't mind d cost

Can u recommend one for me? Awaiting your swift response. Thanks
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 8:34am On Aug 13, 2013
honeyfave: Please I need your advise on which macbook pro to buy. I need a spec with high storage capacity, 750gb and 64gb ram or higher. It must be able to withstand wear and tear, last longer and must be a latest version. Don't mind d cost

Can u recommend one for me? Awaiting your swift response. Thanks

what you are looking for doesnt exist.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by honeyfave: 9:06am On Aug 13, 2013
^lol
Ok,Can u recommend a good spec with high storage capacity?
Thanks
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by benalvino(m): 9:26am On Aug 13, 2013
honeyfave: ^lol
Ok,Can u recommend a good spec with high storage capacity?
Thanks

get a mac book air. if you need system with that high ram, at least you know enough to make good choice for your self.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by dapreal(m): 12:41pm On Aug 17, 2013
Wanna buy mac pro book charger 60W or 80W, pls can anyone giv me the exact price of the two.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 2:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
dapreal: Wanna buy mac pro book charger 60W or 80W, pls can anyone giv me the exact price of the two.

They both cost about £65 in the UK.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply)

You Can Now Upgrade To Windows 10 / Difference Between China HP And Original HP? / Computer Professional Body In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.