Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

The Book Of Death - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book Of Death (19738 Views)

Nairaland Book Of Puns- Lovers Of Wordplay, Let's Pun! / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / My Book Of Rants! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 1:59pm On Dec 22, 2011
Life, they say, is a battle field. In my family’s case, one of life’s many battles started roughly around the time Speedy Gonzalez, stationed in Big Sister’s, room joined forces with Pinky and the Brain in Mother’s room and tried to take over the world; their own concept of the world being confined to that cosy little bungalow located at No 10 Ayo Akanji Street, Oriental Rd, Lagos, Nigeria, Africa.

In consternation and near helplessness, we turned to The Good Book for nuggets of wisdom and direction on how to deal with our most irritating and unwelcome vagabond guests, and ultimately we were led to the Book of Death . . .

Now let’s be brutally honest with ourselves here; every family harbours kindred of Pinky and the Brain in the crannies of their abodes, but I am fairly certain that the ones living in No 10 Ayo Akanji Street were directly descended from dinosaurs.

So great were they in size and in meanness of disposition that when my Aunty Justina, who came for a visit caught a glimpse of the massive receding hindquarters of one of Speedy Gonzalez’s kinfolks, she shrieked

“Oburogwoloko, na bush rabbit una dey train for here??!!?”

Mother, discomfited, had proceeded to recount the gory tales of our torment's in the claws of these mangy cretins to Aunty, complete with graphic images of shredded clothes and books, desecrated salt containers, despoiled foodstuffs, violated Indomie cartons, half eaten shoes and a host of other soul shrinking horrors.

As fate would have it, much later that day, in the dead of night to be precise, Aunty had gone to ease herself. As she approached the toilet, she heard what sounded like inhuman screams coming from the toilet area. Lion-hearted woman that she is, she cautiously advanced towards the toilet. NEPA (for they will forever remain NEPA to my generation, no matter what name the government chooses to give them) had fortunately forgotten to do what they were best at in our neck of the jungle. As a result Aunty was able to switch the bulb in the toilet on when she got to the entrance. The screams were coming from a four-legged resident who had had the misfortune to slip and tumble into the toilet bowl on its way to an assault on our food store.

Aunty, a most pious woman, on beholding this sight and unmindful of the lateness of the hour, crowed in absolute delight:

“Retribution. Lo, the Lord hath delivered thee into mine hands for punishment!!!” cheesy

As she recounted with great relish the following day, she lifted her lappa and positioned her great African behind over the drenched rodent scrabbling frantically about in the slippery toilet bowl. The cretin, on sighting this behemoth buttocks and sensing that the end was very near indeed, resumed its pitiful wailing.

However, Aunty, bent on exacting vengeance on behalf of everybody, was deaf to its pleas. She let rip a steaming stream of fiery urine on the hapless creature who screeched even louder at this painfully undignifying treatment. To conclude the execution, Aunty flushed the nasty little beast into oblivion.

“That’s one down, about a hundred more to go,” Younger Brother remarked wryly after Aunty gleefully finished recounting her nocturnal adventure. We all solemnly agreed with him.

Our “lodgers” became bolder and bolder by the weeks and it got to a point where they stopped darting around the house and simply took to taking leisurely strolls, totally unmindful of the presence of humans. Now you might find this hard to believe, but remember Yours Truly mentioned at the beginning of this narrative that the kinfolk of Speedy Gonzalez who occupied NO 10 Ayo Akanji Street were entirely in a class of their own.

The straw that pulverised the camel’s back was The Incident at the Family Meeting.

THE INCIDENT AT THE FAMILY MEETING

It was Father’s turn to host the bi-monthly family meeting and as a result we made sure the house was more spic and span than usual.

When our brethren were assembled in the parlour and the usual high level, top secret discussions bordering on state security was in full swing, Speedy Gonzalez himself, in all his bedraggled grandeur, glided genteely past our disbelieving gaze, on his way to some errands beneath the television shelf.

Our brethren, perhaps out of embarrassment on our behalf pretended not to notice this furry intrusion and carried on as if nothing happened.

However, Speedy was not as sensitive as our brethren. To our utter vexation, he proceeded to make such a hullabaloo that Father, mortified beyond words was forced to put a halt to proceedings in order to allow Younger Brother fish out Speedy and dispatch him to his maker.

This incidence marked the beginning of the end for our malodourous, four-legged vagabond residents because Mother declared an all-out war on them after this event.

We thence tried a series of devices ranging from poisons to traps, all to no avail.

One momentous day, Yours Truly was idly leafing through a do-it-yourself handbook called The Good Book, when lo and behold, an answer to the problem of our irksome, disease carrying co-habitants was revealed.

ENTER. . . THE BOOK OF DEATH

The Good Book directed us to the Book of Death. This book, when opened and left in the path of creepy crawlies ensured that they never stepped foot again on solid ground.

Big Sister was the first to try The Book. At first it caught the occasional Cockroach {another despicable creature}, the over-adventurous wall gecko, ant and spider. When we had all but given up hope, it finally caught two of late Speedy’s kinfolks. Simultaneously! O what a happy day for Big Sister!! cheesy

With high hopes Mother took a copy of the Book to her room, and in no time Pinky and the Brain were uprooted and shipped off to the Land of No Return. In less than a month there was a noticeable decrease in the pest population in NO 10 Ayo Akanji Street, Oriental rd., Lagos, Nigeria, Africa.

The battle rages on though. It is not yet Uhuru in that cosy little bungalow where my heart lives. We often have to fortify our foodstuff with brick, mortar, concrete and The Book of Death against a possible coup by our four legged enemies. We always have to be on the alert; never allow them even the slightest advantage over us because if we do, dislodging them will be very, very difficult.

However, in all these we are more than conquerors. grin

THE END

Note: “Speedy Gonzalez” and “Pinky and the Brain” are the names of two very popular cartoon characters wink

Just in case you didn't know tongue

67 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Book Of Death by MarcAnthon(m): 3:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
grin grin grin. Took a bit to figure it out sha.

1 Like

Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 8:44pm On Dec 22, 2011
MarcAnthon:

grin grin grin. Took a bit to figure it out sha.
I wonder why; it is straight forward enough as it is grin

2 Likes

Re: The Book Of Death by lilkech(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2011
Nice
Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 11:41pm On Dec 22, 2011
Fanx :-D
Re: The Book Of Death by Jamesmelbin(m): 8:35pm On Jan 02, 2012
i salute ur intelligency, keep it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 7:52am On Jan 03, 2012
Thanx :-D
Re: The Book Of Death by Oluchi007(f): 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2012
grin nice twist. Couldn't have guessed the rodent connection at the start.
Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 8:03am On Jan 04, 2012
Thanx dear. Speedy Gonzalez is actually the name of a character in "Loony Tunes". His signature phrase is "Speedy Gonzalez: the fastest mouse in the whole of Mexico" :-D
Re: The Book Of Death by mkmyers45(m): 12:04am On Apr 07, 2012
Nice read..You have talent
Re: The Book Of Death by MyneWhite1(f): 5:31am On Apr 07, 2012
LOL..interesting.
Re: The Book Of Death by nell07(m): 7:57am On Apr 07, 2012
laff~wan~make~me~open~new~facebook~account!!!!... Lmao!!

Nice one!!

The first few lines had me driftling cluelessly, but by the end of the 7th line (on mobile view) i had all d handle i needed on d story, and from then onward was laffta until the 74th line i think then i couldnt stop d snot from forcing itself outa ma nostrils..lmao!

This was a good read dear.
Amazing construstion,
seamless flow of words,
comical painting of otherwise drab details,
wicked humour!
Simplicity of words (many nigerian writers get dis one wrong. They'd rather pack their work with big words, thereby making d whole thing sound nothing but mecanical.... I wonder why they do dat :-/ )

u should never stop writing.
Do u have a blog?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 11:48am On Apr 07, 2012
.[/quote]
mkmyers45: Nice read..You have talent
Thanx sir,I think so too cheesy
Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 11:49am On Apr 07, 2012
Myne White: LOL..interesting.
Thank you for reading ma smiley
Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 11:54am On Apr 07, 2012
nell07: laff~wan~make~me~open~new~facebook~account!!!!... Lmao!!

Nice one!!

The first few lines had me driftling cluelessly, but by the end of the 7th line (on mobile view) i had all d handle i needed on d story, and from then onward was laffta until the 74th line i think then i couldnt stop d snot from forcing itself outa ma nostrils..lmao!

This was a good read dear.
Amazing construstion,
seamless flow of words,
comical painting of otherwise drab details,
wicked humour!
Simplicity of words (many nigerian writers get dis one wrong. They'd rather pack their work with big words, thereby making d whole thing sound nothing but mecanical.... I wonder why they do dat :-/ )

u should never stop writing.
Do u have a blog?
I must declare,mine head doth swell,sir!
Thank you for the compliments sir,but I am still growing as a writer and I have a very long way to go.
No I don't have a blog. It hasn't caught my fancy... yet...
Re: The Book Of Death by firestar(f): 12:40pm On Apr 08, 2012
shocked
Speedy Gonzales ke? Was my first thought. . . Brain cells rewound and came up with 'Slow Poop' and a host of others. . .
O-kay. . .
Pinky and the who is related to dinosaurs?!
Image overload! Image overload!!
. . .
I half expected Rattatoulie.
Lwkm!

1 Like

Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 1:11pm On Apr 08, 2012
firestar: shocked
Speedy Gonzales ke? Was my first thought. . . Brain cells rewound and came up with 'Slow Poop' and a host of others. . .
O-kay. . .
Pinky and the who is related to dinosaurs?!
Image overload! Image overload!!
. . .
I half expected Rattatoulie.
Lwkm!
Uhhhh...right...
Ratigan is more like it :-)
Re: The Book Of Death by lovala(m): 11:11pm On Apr 09, 2012
I just love your flair. keep striving for the stars. U write just like my friend Gabby. I likee!!

1 Like

Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 3:38am On Apr 10, 2012
lovala: I just love your flair. keep striving for the stars. U write just like my friend Gabby. I likee!!
Thanks sir,will do. I likee too!! :-D
Re: The Book Of Death by greedie1(f): 4:51pm On Apr 17, 2012
Lwkmh.... Lol...
U ve a wicked humor op, its an interesting read. Pls dnt stop writing... U ve reminded me of why i love reading
Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 7:12pm On Apr 17, 2012
gree-die:
Lwkmh.... Lol...
U ve a wicked humor op, its an interesting read. Pls dnt stop writing... U ve reminded me of why i love reading
Please don't stop reading. We need folks like you to encourage us budding writers :-D

2 Likes

Re: The Book Of Death by luscioustrish(f): 11:17pm On Apr 19, 2012
This is interesting,I'm in love with d wordplay,keep it up.
Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 7:16am On Apr 20, 2012
luscioustrish: This is interesting,I'm in love with d wordplay,keep it up.
Thank you ma,I promise to :-D
Re: The Book Of Death by kay9(m): 11:30am On Oct 21, 2012
Nice! smiley But your aunty na serious windeck o.

Book of Death, mmm, hmmm-hmm, i half-expected Anubis to pop up somewhere...
Re: The Book Of Death by lolaluv1(f): 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2012
This is nice! And yes, the infused humour makes for a light-hearted and refreshing read. Well done, Ishilove! smiley

1 Like

Re: The Book Of Death by Ishilove: 4:09pm On Oct 21, 2012
lola.luv:
This is nice! And yes, the infused humour makes for a light-hearted and refreshing read. Well done, Ishilove! smiley
Thank you for reading smiley

kay9: Nice! smiley But your aunty na serious windeck o.

Book of Death, mmm, hmmm-hmm, i half-expected Anubis to pop up somewhere...
Thanks kay9.
Anubis sounds Egyptian...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Writers Needed / Êru ti Ife - Ashes Of Love. / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.