Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,480 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:15 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (13490 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic. / Why Are Nigerians So Funny? / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 03, 2007
Why are Nigerians tribalistic?

I met a chic when i just started working in my office, we got a a little close and when she found out that i was Yoruba, she stopped talking to me. I later overheard her telling a fellow Igbo collegue that she didn't know i was Yoruba, considering that i am light skinned.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Seun(m): 11:55am On Oct 03, 2007
Tribalism is disease passed on from generation to generation by ignorant parents to their gullible
children. We really need to educate people and expose them to role models that are not tribalistic.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by member67023: 12:10pm On Oct 03, 2007
@poster
Because there are over 500 languages and 300 tribes in Nigeria today.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Joey82(m): 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2007
because we're all born nepotic.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by osereka(m): 12:26pm On Oct 03, 2007
we are not only tribalistic, we at times are too sentimental about our religion
christian will say it is the only way to eternity
muslim will say the same thing
BUT I BELIEVE GOD IS NOT LIKE YOU OR ME
HE create the world in  diversity so that we will  glorify HIM the more
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by onyekang1(f): 12:46pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ poster

Dis tin dey our body
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ow11(m): 12:56pm On Oct 03, 2007
because each tribe tries to out do the other and we stereotype a lot.

we are more concerned about a persons home rather than his individual character.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Bblak(f): 1:15pm On Oct 03, 2007
Well said Seun.
It's very rampart.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by obyann(f): 1:17pm On Oct 03, 2007
honestly we need to abolish this tradition.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Olusleeky(m): 1:32pm On Oct 03, 2007
its a seed needs to be uprooted urgently. Its cancerous, happens even amongst d educated illiterate amongs us.YOU,yes YOU, am talking to u n u r pointin at the oda person, STOP IT, see all as ur broda.

1love
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by doctorb1(f): 1:39pm On Oct 03, 2007
because people from certain tribes act alike, 90% of the igbo people i know are stingy; the mbaise ones honestly can't be trusted; 95% of the yoruba people i know are very free with money but cant keep a home neat; 100% of the kalabari men I know are as promiscous as hell and drink like fishes , so tell me if i meet an igbo, yoruba or kalabari person don't i have a right to be tribalistic angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by beneli(m): 1:41pm On Oct 03, 2007
Because the politicians and so many people who call the shots want it that way;

Lets be frank how many people who talk about the problems with ethnocentricism (i hate the tribal labelling, for so many reasons) would want the government to abolish the state of origin thing when they apply for jobs and when they're conducting census etc ?

Not so many because they benefit from the divisions. And that's why there's so much clamouring for a further dividing of Nigeria into smaller and smaller states,

Listen up: until we're bold enough to demand for those things that reinforce our ethnicities and states of  origin to be abolished then we have not even started in the herculean task of dismanteling the tribalism (that word again) thing. Its difficult though, because the ethnic groups have all cast one another in so many negative stereotypes that even if some of those things are abolished there is need to change the mindsets that we have about one another.

Okay a little task: if you are a Yoruba person what image flashes in your mind immediately you think of an Igbo person? If you Igbo what images do you conjure of a Yoruba? If you're a Southerner what do you think of immediately you think of an Hausa person and so on,

For the task above, you have to be very very exposed to many other cultures in order not to start conjuring up uncomplimentary images in the task i just set. So if you've never really associated with people from outside your kparakpo, then how would you be able to break the cycle of tribalsim?

And let me ask this; how many of us first see ourselves as Nigerians before labelling ourselves as say Bini, Gwari, Kalabari, Igbo, Yoruba etc ?

Be honest.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Seun(m): 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2007
And let me ask this; how many of us first see ourselves as Nigerians before labelling ourselves as say Bini, Gwari, Kalabari, Igbo, Yoruba etc ?
I don't see myself as a "Nigerian". I see myself as a human being first, man second, and entrepreneur third. wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by beneli(m): 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2007
doctor b posted while i was still writing, but she's just reinforced what i stated in my post.
How can you talk in such high percentages? That means you already set off with the mind set that those people are what you already think of them before you actually start engaging with them.

We call that being prejudiced.

Lets look at other common prejudices:

Nigerians are criminals and are into 419.
Jamaicans are drug dealers.
Whites are racists.
Igbos love money too much
Yorubas are cowards.
Hausas are illiterate,

So what do you have to say about that?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Ezinwannem: 2:26pm On Oct 03, 2007
@poster, dont blame da gurl ooooooooooooo, some people can be straight forward as in, they dont want to get into a relationship when they want to marry their own tribe, I simply call that having preference but it becomes tribalism when she does not talk to you at all cuz you are from another tribe
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by NaijaDub(f): 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2007
It can all be summed up in the word RACISM
Racism is not only when white people are prejudiced against colored people.

Once you are prejudiced against people because of age, color, religion, origin etc, you are a racist!

I see the word thrown around by Nigerians where I live, always in relation to the white but we are the biggest culprits. You'll think that Nigerians abroad will see themselves as one being away from home , but No! You'll hear comments like "I dont want to worship in that church, there's too much of an Ibo Presence.", "I dont like going to that salon, many of them are Yorubas." Haba!

Each of us as individuals should really look inwards and see if the change can start from each an every one of us. Its such a shame that a great country like ours suffer from a ravaging disease, that can only serve to hinder our progress. sad
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by illusion2: 2:40pm On Oct 03, 2007
Its called primordial sentiments. We are all like dat.
We associate with people and things that "seem" like us.
Its almost impossible to remove.
It differs slightly from stereotyping which beneli was talking about(i.e igbo like money youba na coward,hausa na illiterate etc)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tglaz(m): 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2007
It pains me to discover that at this age we are in,many of us that would boldly refer to ourselves as educated,still talk like those of the primitive age.I as a person,I refuse to be a tribalist.i would like to deal with people based on what you have to offer rather than assumed opinion of people;though notwitstanding,the assumed opinions still hold some ground,but it would tantamount to what Philosophers call fallacy of hasty generaliazation.The fact that "A" is a thief and 'A" comes from village AC, does not automatically mean that "B",who is from village AC,is also a thief.Lets have a rethink. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by fesse(f): 3:01pm On Oct 03, 2007
I am the number one person that hate that word tribalism, it doesnt make a nation to grow, but well yorubas are good in tribalism. In my working place, there is this yoruba guy saying that he will never in his life marry an outsider unless yoruba claiming to come from a royal family.
yorubas like claiming royal family and dont friend or marry outside yoruba land. the same also happen during my services year. so i will not blame in her choice of the relationship she wants but will blame for not talking to the guy, that one is racism.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Iman3(m): 3:03pm On Oct 03, 2007
fesse:

I am the number one person that hate that word tribalism, it doesnt make a nation to grow, but well yorubas are good in tribalism.

The Mother Of All Ironies!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by saywhat(m): 3:16pm On Oct 03, 2007
What pains me most in this issue is that when you show someone that you want them around you and you wnat to trust them, they openly show you that they don't even want to see you.

Tribalism destroys a country; people who 'practice' tribalism should take a look at what happened in Rwanada betwwen the Tutsis and Hutus. I pray that no such thing should happen in Nigeria. To those who embrace other tribes keep it up; it the best from the health of any country.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by shushu(f): 3:23pm On Oct 03, 2007
x
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 03, 2007
I-man, i think its not a good thing to take shots at tribes here, i made a mistake of naming tribes in my first post, but if we look at it from all angles, majority of Nigerians are tribalistic.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2007
You see shushu, am just kind of like you, my Dad is Yoruba, Mums is from Cameroun; i don't try to categorize myself into a any tribe. Am 'HALF BREED'. lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by doncnn(m): 3:32pm On Oct 03, 2007
as far as im concerned, i don't like people who tribalistic, i ve friends all over, that is different tribes, and i must warn people who generalize whenever someone from a particular tribe offends him, dey jus generalize it, that is why i like us to ponder on wot beneli posted,

Nigerians are criminals and are into 419.
Jamaicans are drug dealers.
Whites are racists.
Igbos love money too much
Yorubas are cowards.
Hausas are illiterate,

adeniyi, now u r talking, because b4 now, many are already seeing to be tribalistic by naming tribe, in case u dont know, each of us hav different tribes who hav offended us one way or the other, but we must tackle the problem and not the tribe, because tribes are involved
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by beneli(m): 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2007
From my understanding of I-man post, the poster stated that she hates tribalism and then followed her assertion up with a very tribalistic statement!

Hence the irony.

But then let the man speak for himself!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 03, 2007
I hope we are not getting each other wrong here.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Iman3(m): 3:37pm On Oct 03, 2007
Tribalism involves stereotyping an entire ethnic group.Now,unless "Fesse" has done a scientific study of the Yorubas vis a vis other ethnicities,she is being a tribalist for making her claims.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2007
cutegeey, wrong section.

To all that are offended by me naming tribes here, please forgive me.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by doncnn(m): 3:48pm On Oct 03, 2007
u no wot? i beliv oneday, tribalism will be minimized atleast to 10% level, if u notce, diz days sometimes u hardly recognice a yoruba or igbo or even hausa when u see one, sometimes we dress in difrent attires, even sometimes u find people sing music not their mother' tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by doncnn(m): 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2007
adeniyi, i really accept your apology on our behalf of everybody here in dis forum, diz shows u really had a good intention for raisng this topic, my reall naija man!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 03, 2007
Thank you doncnn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

President General Of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Obi Of Onitsha Set For Eastern Heritage / Ethiopian Housemaids Abused In Rich Arab Countries! / Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.