Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? (4837 Views)

Strange Food Combinations Some Nigerians Eat / 5 Weird Animals Nigerians Eat / Who Is The King Of Nigeria Swallow? Eba, Akpu (Fufu), Amala Or Pounded Yam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 12:09am On Dec 25, 2011
If so, which sort of Nigerians?

I don't think my parents have ever made it before, strictly pounded yam/amala/eba. Yet now I'm told that there is at least one group for which it is a staple.

(I know this is in the wrong section, but I'm curious and want answers now grin )
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 12:22am On Dec 25, 2011
OK, so I've found some answers, and found out why nobody from my town eats it. Mods, feel free to move (or delete) this thread.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by EkoIle1: 12:46am On Dec 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

OK, so I've found some answers, and found out why nobody from my town eats it. Mods, feel free to move (or delete) this thread.

Why?
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Ibime(m): 12:48am On Dec 25, 2011
This is a typical "google Nigerian" question. wink
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by NegroNtns(m): 12:52am On Dec 25, 2011
Its not a staple for Yoruba but its common in our households, just as tuwo is not our staple but is common.  Fufu is made of fermented cassava and I believe it goes through a filtering system similar to the one for making ogi from fermented corn.  

Fermentation is purposeful to break down the active minerals sufficiently that when consumed the digestive system is able to obtain the nourishment easily.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 12:59am On Dec 25, 2011
Basically I was really confused. I associated the word "fufu" with the specific dish that Ghanaians and others eat.

But it looks like people use the word for any dish that kind of looks like pounded yam? So it is sort of an umbrella term? At least this is my present understanding.

Regarding why nobody eats it in my town, I guess we just never historically prepared food in that way. Pounded yam is the staple dish.

So between not seeing it in my own household growing up, not seeing it at church or in the Nigerian community in the DC area, not seeing it in my hometown, I just figured it wasn't popular in Yorubaland.

But looks like I may have been wrong.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 1:00am On Dec 25, 2011
Ibime:

This is a typical "google Nigerian" question. wink

touche grin
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Kobojunkie: 1:05am On Dec 25, 2011
Yes, you have historically never prepared food in that way but you have prepared Garri in about the very same way? What a load of crap . . . . merry Christmas!!
[table]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 1:08am On Dec 25, 2011
Hah, I'm just telling you what she told me.

I try to minimize my involvement in the preparation of food. . . only thing i care about is eating it grin

Though in retrospect if I'd paid more attention I'd be able to cook naija dishes myself.

Merry Christmas to you too, though.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by NegroNtns(m): 1:13am On Dec 25, 2011
Ekt, I believe you have seen it before, maybe your household never eat it but if you live in Yorubaland you have seen fufu.  

It was common also in Ondo and Ekiti land, although iyan is the staple among Ijesha, Ekiti people.  They have the same texture and look and to the untrained eye they are the same.  They taste different and match with different soups but I love them both.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by NegroNtns(m): 1:24am On Dec 25, 2011
Kobo, merry Xmas to you as well, and merry xmas to everybody and wishing you a pleasant countdown to New year.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 1:25am On Dec 25, 2011
Interesting.

You learn something new every day, I guess.

What stew would you suggest with fufu?

Also, is the taste of fufu prepared by Ghanaians very different from that made in naija? Or very similar?

I've had it before at a Ghanaian restaurant and hated it.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Makbo: 1:35am On Dec 25, 2011
Tell me more. Is this a political issue in Nigeria as I see the topic in the Politics section. Is there any current national debate upon eating fufu in Nigeria?
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by EkoIle1: 1:41am On Dec 25, 2011
Makbo:

Tell me more. Is this a political issue in Nigeria as I see the topic in the Politics section. Is there any current national debate upon eating fufu in Nigeria?

get over yourself joo
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by EkoIle1: 1:42am On Dec 25, 2011
Actually, I prefer Fufu with egusi over iyan with egusi
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 1:48am On Dec 25, 2011
Makbo: My bad man. Just I figured there was a higher chance of getting a prompt response posting in this section (since it is one of the higher-traffic areas) grin It was one of those burning curiosity moments where you sometimes do/say something unwise.

Eko Ile: Ok, I'll give it another shot, I'll try with egusi.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Abagworo(m): 1:55am On Dec 25, 2011
The truth is that "fufu" has come to stay as an African staple though an alien food. The history of "fufu" is associated with slavery and started from Brazil and South America where Africans were experimented on with the wild cassava due to scarcity of yam. The success of the new found food led to its introduction amongst inland slaves and later accepted as a staple by Africans.

However when you come down to tradition, the yam is our main food and is so revered that a new yam festival is celebrated yearly, there exists "god of yam" and a kingship of yam exists in some areas.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by rhymz(m): 3:22am On Dec 25, 2011
Fufu is popularly eaten amongst the easterners, especially the Igbos and the Calabars, although the preparations are slightly different-while igbos boil and pound theirs like pounded yam, the calabars heats theirs in a fired pot until it begins to to get sticky and edible- hence the slight difference in colour and texture. The calabar process is widely used as it is quicker to prepare but to me, the igbo method is way better, tastes like pounded yam and smells less. It is eaten like your eba with any soup.
It is also eaten by the Yorubas but most of the times they eat the ones prepared by the calabar as they are known for selling the stuff. The yoruba's is however very soft and kind of smells more, I tried it once and almost threw up, don't how they do theirs but it certainly does not go dowb well. Besides, Fufu goes readily with Calabar and igbo soups than yoruba's, that's why most times yorubas eat it with stew or egusi soup compared to the easterners that can eat it with a zillion soups and not get tired of it.
Fufu is a staple amongst easterners than any other tribe but it is however popuar with every Nigerian.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by tpia5: 10:56pm On Dec 25, 2011
Fufu isnt commonly eaten by yorubas.

It is however eaten by non-yorubas who are resident in the southwest.

Negro please take note.

Yes, we all know or have heard of SOME yorubas who eat fufu.

However, it remains a midwestern/southeast/southsouth food.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by tpia5: 11:00pm On Dec 25, 2011
Same way hausas have tuwo, ijebus have ikokore, and fulani have fura nunu.

Other regions eat these too but it remains the staple dish of the areas it is associated with and where it's commonly eaten.

Ekt bear i assume the question isnt a mischievious one only because you grew up abroad and perhaps genuinely dont know.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by armyofone(m): 11:16pm On Dec 25, 2011
fufu as in Akpu? nice with ofe ujuju

smells bad but ummmm yummy.
can't eat it now sha.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by ektbear: 3:25am On Dec 26, 2011
tpia@:

Same way hausas have tuwo, ijebus have ikokore, and fulani have fura nunu.

Other regions eat these too but it remains the staple dish of the areas it is associated with and where it's commonly eaten.

Ekt bear i assume the question isnt a mischievious one only because you grew up abroad and perhaps genuinely dont know.

Interesting, never heard of tuwo, ikokore, and fura nunu before this thread.

Indeed, I genuinely didn't know. It came up in a phone conversation with a non-Nigerian friend of mine.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Maybe it's an Ekiti thing. First time I chop fufu was my travel out of Ekiti to Lagos, marvelous taste ever. We prefer to stick to Iyan. I love love fufu tho.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by rhymz(m): 8:57am On Dec 26, 2011
tpia@:

Fufu isnt commonly eaten by yorubas.

It is however eaten by non-yorubas who are resident in the southwest.

Negro please take note.

Yes, we all know or have heard of SOME yorubas who eat fufu.

However, it remains a midwestern/southeast/southsouth food.

I kind of disagree here with your claim that it is not commonly eaten by Yorubas. Might not be a staple amongst Yorubas but it is damn well popular with them. And by the way, Nigerian Fufu is quite different from the ghanaian and other west African Fufus o. . To Them it is a general term for cassava food.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by tpia5: 9:08am On Dec 26, 2011
^^you are quite wrong and speaking as an outsider, not an insider.

yorubas who move with igbos might be eating fufu.

that doesnt make it a staple among yorubas.

i dont know if my dad ever tasted fufu in his life- i certainly have never seen him eat it before.

the closest thing to fufu i saw him eat was the pupuru eaten by ikale people. Dont know if that's fufu or not.

likewise i've only met a few yorubas who make a habit of eating fufu. And these are mostly the ones who are interested in other cultures, like i said.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by tpia5: 9:12am On Dec 26, 2011
some yorubas also eat tuwo.

does that mean its popular with them.
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Adeyinka12(m): 12:25am On Apr 13, 2015
Yes,Nigeria eat fufu .Yoruba eat fufu both there villages and towns ,in the morning,and most expecially afternoon,and evening.yoruba use cassava called ''ege'' or ''paaki'' to prepare fufu.the cassava peel off called ''ebe ege'' in yoruba which is use to feed animals(goat,sheep.etc).the mode of preparation(fufu) is unique.and there adversitment goes like this(fufu gbona de,gbigbona n fufu oo)that of cassava peel of adversiment in the evening(era ebe ege oo)there is no food carteen in yorubaland that you woun't see them selling fufu as part the food selling. Fufu is one of the food i like most
Re: Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? by Adeyinka12(m): 12:32am On Apr 13, 2015
Yes,Nigeria eat fufu .Yoruba eat fufu both there villages and towns ,in the morning,and most expecially afternoon,and evening.yoruba use cassava called ''ege'' or ''paaki'' to prepare fufu.the cassava peel off called ''ebe ege'' in yoruba which is use to feed animals(goat,sheep.etc).the mode of preparation(fufu) is unique.and there adversitment goes like this(fufu gbona de,gbigbona n fufu oo)that of cassava peel of adversiment in the evening(era ebe ege oo).also ''epa fufu'' this is the one that stick to the pot. there is no food carteen in yorubaland that you woun't see them selling fufu as part the food selling. Fufu is one of the food i like most

(1) (Reply)

Hausa, Ibo Or Yoruba: Which Tribe Has The Best Delicacies? / How To Make Your Own Vinegar: / How Do I Prepare A Rich Salad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.