Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

How To Improve Your Memory - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Improve Your Memory (12271 Views)

9 Ways To Improve Your Memory Naturally / 20 Ways To Boost Your Memory As A Student / 11 Ways To Improve Your Memory And Remember More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Improve Your Memory by raldsfield(m): 10:02pm On Mar 10, 2006
Scientist said that we have 4 billion cells in our brain, this they say is enough to store the information in all the books ever

published, how come we only use less than 4% of this. Anyway the man with the best memory uses about 4% of his storage

ability.

This is how I have improved my memory, my repetition. It helped me make a 2.1 in the university. I read each note, continuously

over 20 times in two week, the more i read it the more i remembered it, i could recite my project from my head. If you were there

when i defended my project you won't need to read the binded copy cool.

Repetition is my method what is yours. wink

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Grizzly(m): 11:58pm On Mar 10, 2006
Well its not telling, but i think God blessed me widda sharp brain, , LOL
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by reniks(f): 9:10pm On Mar 12, 2006
The repetition thing works for my examinations all the time,and am going to stick wlth it when i want to defend my project in a few months.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Ynot(m): 5:14am On Mar 13, 2006
You can stimulate your brain functions by eating lots of fresh fruit and carrots (raw). One of the substances that fruit contains are natural sugars which stimulate the brain so you can think faster and recall information more quickly.

In addition to studying hard, change your eating habits between waking up and doing an exam. The big trick is to consume fruit effectively. Have only fruit but as much as you want before you do your test or defend your project as in this case and avoid the following brain blocking foods:

[list]
[li]White flour. This forms a sticky substance in the intestines that costs much energy to digest. Much blood has to be sent to the digestive system to break down the food instead of going to your head to nourish your brain; [/li]
[li]Turkey; contains a toxic element that has a strong tiring effect, it makes you sleepy;[/li]
[li]The combination of proteins (meat) and starch (potatoes, garri, foo-foo, amala, etc). These foods are burnt in a different way. It will cost your body more energy to burn them together than apart from each other. [/li]
[li]Refined white sugar; [/li]
[/list]

Again, there is no substitute for laziness. If you're not well prepared for your exam, you can eat all the fruit in the world but it won't do any good.

Some people are blessed with retentive/photographic memory. They understand/capture things easily and fast. For me, i  study hard and the day before i take any test, i suspend all reading even if i didn't finish all i need to read. i watch comic movies, drink couple of beer and i'm ready to go.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by raldsfield(m): 9:07pm On Mar 13, 2006
Ynot,

I like your style it's cool, one other things i do before exams is that i eat nothing or eat light, snacks (biscuits)

When you are hungry you think faster, I know it works for me. I also take glucose, since it is the food of the brain.

And all the times i have read into My exams i have preformed badly.

My solution is have confidence, if you lack it you fail it is that simple.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Idekeson(m): 2:32am On Mar 14, 2006
The key is to read to understand the basic principles. Repeated reading helps you understand stuff that were not clear at first. Once you understand the basic principles, you can apply it to every fact pattern. Reciting your text might help you scale through exams but you don't gain much knowledge.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Ynot(m): 2:59am On Mar 14, 2006
raldsfield:

Ynot,

I like your style it's cool, one other things i do before exams is that i eat nothing or eat light, snacks (biscuits)

When you are hungry you think faster, I know it works for me. I also take glucose, since it is the food of the brain.

And all the times i have read into My exams i have preformed badly.

My solution is have confidence, if you lack it you fail it is that simple.

Eat light, yes. But goin to an exam in an empty stomach gives me migraine. I can't function without something in my stomach. Besides, your body needs energy for your brain cells to work. Thats why i eat fruits in the morning. But hey, if that works for you, all the best.

BTW, i drink a lot of water before bed. Prevents hangover and dehydration the next day.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Badman888(m): 8:05am On Mar 14, 2006
I think everybody have their own unique way to pass, the main thing is to discover the ay that suits you well,
and you will be able to pass well on an exam.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by twinstaiye(m): 9:18am On Mar 14, 2006
Idekeson:

The key is to read to understand the basic principles. Repeated reading helps you understand stuff that were not clear at first. Once you understand the basic principles, you can apply it to every fact pattern. Reciting your text might help you scale through exams but you don't gain much knowledge.
Idekeson, well said. that is what keeps me going. Read and understand, once I can grab what it was all about, then sky is beyond my limit.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by tejuoso1(f): 12:34pm On Mar 14, 2006
study it clearly and do practicals and examples. eat good food like vegetables it's yuck though. if exam is near don't talk or giggle too much try and concentrate
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by pojutime(m): 1:04pm On Mar 14, 2006
i think it all boils down to reading and reading- generally studying long and hard enough.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Babybee(f): 1:27pm On Mar 14, 2006
not how long but how well,i mean when u read for a very long time and u don't understand, what's d point? I think its good to read and understand.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Emmaco(m): 1:45pm On Mar 14, 2006
i doln't understand wat u mean by datin a boy u r a year older that but you wont even think of datin a guy u r 2 or more years older than. i don't also understand wat u mean by the guy being mature u must have an age limit. to me if a guy is above in Nigeria take note 'in Nigeria', he's to me a bit mature. don't go gettin the wrong ideas, i'm above that age.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Grizzly(m): 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2006
Hello @ Emmaco, do u know where the lipsrsealed U are??
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by raldsfield(m): 11:18pm On Mar 14, 2006
Emmaco, you have missed your way or you are high. You yan point less.

Meanwhile understanding while preparing for your exam is a thing of the mind. If your have faith you will understand.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Idekeson(m): 6:00am On Mar 15, 2006
@Emmaco
You really have to improve your memory, so you don't forget what the topic is all about when you post. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Memory by burteeone(m): 11:03am On Mar 15, 2006
Please Bros, is it really good for me, to write down what I cram from the book. or To study it and know the actually meaning and give my own different answer but the same meaning in the exam? Please I need help.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Emmaco(m): 2:07pm On Mar 18, 2006
hey Bleep all y'all. my sincere apologies to who ever i sent that message to but to the rest of y'all i can say u can kiss my natural born black ASS. you guys should try and post interesting topics for people to debate on not just anything anybody feels like posting as far as I'm concerned that is no topic. hey no offense to who ever that posted the topic I'm just saying my mind.oh for the person that posted this topic i would like to offer rthis advise to him/her. just try and figure out what keeps you relaxed while reading who knows it could be listening to music or something else as for me i read and understand better with the help of a cool and easy going music and its not necessarily going to be loud for me to blend with it. hope my contribution will help u in what ever way it can?
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by tipsy289(m): 7:49pm On Mar 19, 2006
Sharp idea wink i think this shld work 4 anyone
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by focus(m): 10:44am On Mar 20, 2006
as 4 me i believe the most important thing is to attend lectures, b/cos what you're taught is easier to understand. but i know poeple have diffrent ability of improving their memory. persitency, courage and hard work should be our watch-word as student.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Mildred(f): 12:29pm On Mar 20, 2006
I think the memory issue is all about individual"(s)
like me, i get to understand when i read all alone and in a quiet environment and preferably morning and cool hour of the day,
so individual needs to search for his/her way of assimilating . smiley
Thanx
my mail id is remlox4real@yahoo.com
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by nuggard(m): 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2006
I just began memory building especially with mathematics. I look at a question then sort out the principles. then without pen and paper I try to solve the question.I've had about 50% success.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Grizzly(m): 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2006
ok without pen or paper?? thts just one great hell help,
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by WesleyanA(f): 12:55am On Apr 22, 2006
eat blueberries
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by angelu(f): 12:52am On Apr 24, 2006
nobody is mentionin askin God 4 help. the one who gave u the brain, Through experience i've found that prayer really helps. Am not sayin party all nite the day b4 exam and when its time 4 exam go and pray! Abeg i didn't say that. read (ur readin skills shud be defined) and pray. like me, one time when i read and durin xam i forgot somethin I told Jesus that i had read this that he shud help me and i remembered so if it worked 4 me. Baby it kan work 4 u.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by angelu(f): 12:54am On Apr 24, 2006
nobody is mentionin askin God 4 help. the one who gave u the brain, Through experience i've found that prayer really helps. Am not sayin party all nite the day b4 exam and when its time 4 exam go and pray! Abeg i didn't say that.  read (ur readin skills shud be defined) and pray. like me, one time when i read and durin xam i forgot somethin I told Jesus that i had read this that he shud help me and i remembered so if it worked 4 me. Baby it kan work 4 u.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Cactus(m): 7:10am On Apr 24, 2006
Improving memory requires constant exercising, proper nutrition/hydration. No single diet work for everyone as people r allergic though there are generic food items which help in the long run.

as for me i play scrabble more than 5 times daily playing 6 - 10 minute games which are really fast keeps me alert and continually thinking.

That works for me i guess very good mental exercise
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Zahymaka(m): 2:08am On May 06, 2006
I like to think in abstract ways -- like why men don't wear skirts [except the Scots] but women wear trousers. That's very good brain exercise for me.

I have always believed my brain is better than a photographic plate. I only need to read something once and I can quote from it -- novels, textbooks, encyclopedias, newspapers, etc.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by eveseh(f): 9:39am On May 06, 2006
listen to music
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by elphem(m): 4:58pm On May 11, 2006
Music is a good way of retenting memory. There are however many music that are not that good. Because instead of having good retention memory, you will have a continual repetition of the music and occupies a vast space in the head.

Lets go to mathematics,

If you are dowloading to a phone of 6.7MB memory and Memory Card of 256MB
You tend to download more music to your phone due to the large memory status and load most of the memories with Video music and ordinary music. Lesser memory for other applications to be used on the phone,

So for easy memory retention, continous repetition works very well!!! cool
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by nancyekpoh(f): 10:16am On May 12, 2006
I think constant reading and studding helps to improve the memory.
Re: How To Improve Your Memory by Kadata(m): 9:14pm On Sep 07, 2010
You can improve ur memory by paying undivided attention to details as they first occur then try to replay the scene in ur mind. It works 4 me though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex-Wheelbarrow-Pusher Gets Highest Scores In OAU Post-UTME / Tuition Free Universities In Germany:cost Of Living, Admission Deadline / Oil Tycoon, Jim Okolo Bags Honorary Doctorate Degree From European-american Uni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.