Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1608247 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (2190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 5:15pm On Jun 19, 2015
@A40
Any player of his caliber possesses that win now mentality the window of opportunity won't be open forever.
The wiggins trade is only going to be labeled a disaster if love joins another team or the Cavs don't win in 4 years.
They Cavs built a strong squad just wasn't very lucky.

Conserved his energy to run the offense and score points.
What about the numerous scenario when he finds players who are opened only to get the ball right back.
Or mozgov who thrives off passes from LBJ and not good enough in the post when the warriors doubles him ?
LBJ taking 35 shots a game is the most efficient way the Cavs could score.
So you're saying the end justify the means, say he wins the series shooting this same % from the floor you won't be hammering on efficiency ?
KD,Harden and a ton of other players get to the line a lot I don't see how this is a bad thing since FT's are part of the game.
I can't see what he or anybody else could have done to win this series
that it got to game 6 is an achievement in its own.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:38pm On Jun 19, 2015
SIRcumalot:
@A40
Any player of his caliber possesses that win now mentality the window of opportunity won't be open forever.
The wiggins trade is only going to be labeled a disaster if love joins another team or the Cavs don't win in 4 years.
They Cavs built a strong squad just wasn't very lucky.
Bar the Sixers I think every other club has a win now mentality the difference here is how you go about trying to win. What happens if Love does not deliver a chip? He could as well leave in Free Agency while Wiggins winds up becoming an elite player. They have 10 guys in their roster who become Free Agents this season compared to Golden State who have only Green as a potential free agent. Even the coach is not sure of his job. This is not a sustainable way to go

SIRcumalot:
Conserved his energy to run the offense and score points.
What about the numerous scenario when he finds players who are opened only to get the ball right back.

Or mozgov who thrives off passes from LBJ and not good enough in the post when the warriors doubles him ?
That's not an excuse to play absolutely zero defense. He completely sucked on the defensive end

To your second point that is what lack of synergy and win now now-mentality would do to you. When you pack 5-7 players from different teams without time to build chemistry or check if they fit into the system you are actually trying to play (assuming they have one) then these things are bound to happen.

SIRcumalot:
LBJ taking 35 shots a game is the most efficient way the Cavs could score.
So you're saying the end justify the means, say he wins the series shooting this same % from the floor you won't be hammering on efficiency ?

18-38
11-35
14-34
7-22

15-34
13-33

Those were his numbers! How can someone shoot this badly, lose and you still call him MVP. Habaaa!!

With Iggy guarding Lebron he shot 38%!! GSW where +55 with him on the floor -30 without him. Same Iggy averaged 16pts from 12 shots!

If that is not MVP-worthy I don't know what is.

Had Lebron won by all means give him the MVP but you can't award him that title over a more efficient Iggy who is a large reason why he shot that badly to start with

SIRcumalot:
KD,Harden and a ton of other players get to the line a lot I don't see how this is a bad thing since FT's are part of the game.
I can't see what he or anybody else could have done to win this series
that it got to game 6 is an achievement in its own.
Its not a bad thing and what he or anybody else coulda done is moot. My stance has been the same since Day 1 he made his bed so he needs to lie on it. Afterall he has lost Finals even with relatively better talent in the past

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by joephemzyz(m): 4:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
Does any one here watch the Nigerian bball league?
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 9:00pm On Jun 22, 2015
Is there any?
joephemzyz:
Does any one here watch the Nigerian bball league?

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by joephemzyz(m): 7:46pm On Jun 24, 2015
SmooshCHN:
Is there any?

Yea sir, there is....#dstv basketball league
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:58pm On Jun 24, 2015
Kevin Love opts out and is now a free agent.

Probably might extend but don't think he and LBJ were BFF's. Plus it would cost them a lot to pay Love $20mil a year

Shoulda kept Wiggins IMO but instant success is all they were about
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:51am On Jun 25, 2015
A40:
Kevin Love opts out and is now a free agent.

Probably might extend but don't think he and LBJ were BFF's. Plus it would cost them a lot to pay Love $20mil a year

Shoulda kept Wiggins IMO but instant success is all they were about

What's up with your boy Monta Ellis, rumor has it the Mavs are looking to trade him if opts out and pursues free agency..
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2015
Today is NBA Draft day

Not too excited really, the last two drafts have mostly produced duds. With no marquee franchise altering player in sight since Anthony Davis

Roland17:

What's up with your boy Monta Ellis, rumor has it the Mavs are looking to trade him if opts out and pursues free agency..
I don't even know how much value can be gotten off of him on the trading floor. He's already hit 30 and I think he's just trying to score the last major contract of his career. He would probably extend since he is still valuable to the Mavs

The problem is at PG and whether Tyson would extend or be traded
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 25, 2015
A40:
Today is NBA Draft day

Not too excited really, the last two drafts have mostly produced duds. With no marquee franchise altering player in sight since Anthony Davis

I don't even know how much value can be gotten off of him on the trading floor. He's already hit 30 and I think he's just trying to score the last major contract of his career. He would probably extend since he is still valuable to the Mavs

The problem is at PG and whether Tyson would extend or be traded
victor oladipo? he is a franchise player, i believe.

i hope cuban goes with jerian grant if he is still available, a good PG is urgently needed, and i think he can produce right away.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 5:52pm On Jun 25, 2015
A40:
Today is NBA Draft day

Am surprised you could say this and still not agree that wiggins and anthony for love wasn't a great move or where you just saying that to crap all over the Cavs
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 25, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Am surprised you could say this and still not agree that wiggins and anthony for love wasn't a great move or where you just saying that to crap all over the Cavs
A Great move for Minnesota, a stupid move for cleveland.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 6:08pm On Jun 25, 2015
Donlittle:
A Great move for Minnesota, a stupid move for cleveland.
Make i here your thoughts
Like stated earlier it will only be a bad move if love won't sign with the Cavs and that won't happen.

This drama surrounding Cousins and the lakers is really crazy.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:05am On Jun 26, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Curry, Leonard, Green, Klay Thompson were not instant hits when they were drafted but improved overtime. Guys like Ricky Rubio, Flynn, Ty Lawson were rated ahead of Steph

Look at San Antone, now the Warriors hell even OKC could have won a ring but poor coaching held them back. These are all relatively small market teams like Cleveland but are growing organically

My point is there is always room for growth and playing with Lebron would have been a fantastic chance to get better and learn from him compared to a Kevin Love who also believes he is a star in his own right. As it stands now they will need to cough out $20m for Kevin Love while guys like Tristan Thompson and J.R Smith also seek big paydays.

As it is they are definitely going to have to pay Luxury tax since they are over the cap hence getting good free agents (not average, over the hill guys like Perkins, James Jones, Delly, Marion) becomes impossible
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:09am On Jun 26, 2015
Donlittle:
victor oladipo? he is a franchise player, i believe.

i hope cuban goes with jerian grant if he is still available, a good PG is urgently needed, and i think he can produce right away.
Oladipo needs to work on his offense. He reminds me a lot of Iggy too when he first came into the league. Oladipo's J is a bit erratic and he cannot really shoot the 3

There are more prospective bigs than guards in this draft though
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:13am On Jun 26, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Make i here your thoughts
Like stated earlier it will only be a bad move if love won't sign with the Cavs and that won't happen.

This drama surrounding Cousins and the lakers is really crazy.
He probably will extend as the Cavs can pay him the most money. It now boils down to if he is ready to be the 3rd wheel as he approaches this stage of his career

Cousins and Karl are beefing it seems. Boogie to the Lakers will be massive! All boils down to how well Julius Randle recovers and if Kupchak can get a PG
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 12:22am On Jun 26, 2015
A40:

He probably will extend as the Cavs can pay him the most money. It now boils down to if he is ready to be the 3rd wheel as he approaches this stage of his career

Cousins and Karl are beefing it seems. Boogie to the Lakers will be massive! All boils down to how well Julius Randle recovers and if Kupchak can get a PG

Boogie is a very tough head, I doubt the management wants him traded, remember he was an integral reason in their quest to keep the franchise in Minnesota, I don't see him coexisting with Karl, the trust has been lost, Boogie is not mature enough to be professional and just play basketball for a coach who wants him traded, Karl might end up getting fired even if he succeeds to keep his job during the start of the season. Even though this is not in Boogies hands, the whole terrain changes if he decides he wants to leave for LA now that would be some ish..
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:03am On Jun 26, 2015
Here we go again with Sam Hinkie and his tanking lot selecting Jahlil Okafor, despite having Noel and the glass footed Embiid..
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:08am On Jun 26, 2015
A40:

Oladipo needs to work on his offense. He reminds me a lot of Iggy too when he first came into the league. Oladipo's J is a bit erratic and he cannot really shoot the 3

There are more prospective bigs than guards in this draft though
oladipo got better last season and will keep getting better.
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2015
Kobe on Larry Nance Jr's Tweet, which he(Nance) tweeted 2yrs ago ;

"The kid figured it out himself," Bryant said. "He's a kid, man. He actually sent me a great message [Friday], which is really funny. I looked at it [the message], and it was like, 'This is when you know it's about time to hang these things up, when your teammate writes you, Hi, Mr. Bryant.'

"I was like, 'What the f---?' But it was really nice and apologetic about what had happened. I said, 'Dude, listen. We've all said things and done things that we regret and wish we could take back. It's water under the bridge, man. Welcome to the team.' He writes back, 'Thank you, sir.'"

cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by clodd007(m): 5:18pm On Jun 28, 2015
you get 10% on ur first deposit when you get in through this link
it is a new bookie for u https://www.bonanzawin.com/?code=clodd007 : so much inplays and payout is less dan an hr I was so stunned whn I used it : its almost like bet365 its a nigerian bookie
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
So we picked T. Rozier, R.J Hunter, Mickey and Thorthon, I watched the first three especially the first during his time with Louisville, his play could be likened to Bledsoe or our own Isaiah Thomas, apart from Hunter who is a talented shooter, I am not too sure we did too well in the draft considering we need perimeter shooters which has been a teething problem for this team, I am looking forward to what Danny Ainge packages with some of these picks for a trade..

#greenrunsdeep
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:04am On Jun 29, 2015
kliq:
Kobe on Larry Nance Jr's Tweet, which he(Nance) tweeted 2yrs ago ;

"The kid figured it out himself," Bryant said. "He's a kid, man. He actually sent me a great message [Friday], which is really funny. I looked at it [the message], and it was like, 'This is when you know it's about time to hang these things up, when your teammate writes you, Hi, Mr. Bryant.'

"I was like, 'What the f---?' But it was really nice and apologetic about what had happened. I said, 'Dude, listen. We've all said things and done things that we regret and wish we could take back. It's water under the bridge, man. Welcome to the team.' He writes back, 'Thank you, sir.'"

cheesy
But Kobe na bros even for American society standard. Which other way him for address am? Kobe was drafted 1996. If you comot 19 yeards from Larry Nance age how many years go remain??

Lots of buzz about DeAngelo Russell the #2 pick people say he is the best and most NBA ready pick in the draft

Anthony Towns to the Wolves there's also talk about forming a young dynamic tandem with Andrew Wiggins
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:09am On Jun 29, 2015
Roland17:

Boogie is a very tough head, I doubt the management wants him traded, remember he was an integral reason in their quest to keep the franchise in Minnesota, I don't see him coexisting with Karl, the trust has been lost, Boogie is not mature enough to be professional and just play basketball for a coach who wants him traded, Karl might end up getting fired even if he succeeds to keep his job during the start of the season. Even though this is not in Boogies hands, the whole terrain changes if he decides he wants to leave for LA now that would be some ish..
I don't quite understand that Kings team and why they are not winning. Even with Rudy Gay and Boogie, something is wrong somewhere, I think he needs to play with a veteran that can teach him how to win, which is why he would be a very good prospect for the Lakers and Kobe
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 12:16am On Jun 29, 2015
A40:

But Kobe na bros even for American society standard. Which other way him for address am? Kobe was drafted 1996. If you comot 19 yeards from Larry Nance age how many years go remain??

Lots of buzz about DeAngelo Russell the #2 pick people say he is the best and most NBA ready pick in the draft

Anthony Towns to the Wolves there's also talk about forming a young dynamic tandem with Andrew Wiggins
I think the lakers should've picked okafor and De angelo would've have been a better fit with the Sixers.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:00am On Jun 29, 2015
A40:

I don't quite understand that Kings team and why they are not winning. Even with Rudy Gay and Boogie, something is wrong somewhere, I think he needs to play with a veteran that can teach him how to win, which is why he would be a very good prospect for the Lakers and Kobe

Rudy Gay is sort of a selfish player, fights for himself and his shots alone, despite his experience in the league he does not make his team mates better, no team can succeed with that sort of player granted he is a legit shooter, they also lack a genuine PG.

Ben Mac is not a true point guard, again a show man interested in his own game, a lot of inexperience with team play and jacks up too many shots that hit misses than the bucket.

Derrick Williams is not exactly the most talented player either, he has got good body size and reach but has somehow found a way to remain deficient during plays, he has not improved any aspect of his game, someone needs to remind him he is not getting any younger.

Darren Collison: I love Darren, he is fearless and can be a good defender on the night, but lacks the help from team mates to control the pace of the game from his position, he is not a leader on the court despite his experience thus boogie has nothing to learn from him.

Nick Stauskas just got integrated into the team last season after being drafter from Michigan two or three seasons ago, a terrific jump shooter especially from downtown, I wondered why it took so long to get him into the first team considering their deficiencies, he is still pretty young, he also needs help from an experienced head, he is not going to get at from Rudy Gay as Rudy could care less.

The rest are Andre Miller, Reggie Evans etal, so no wonders as to why they are horrible to me.

Boogie is more talent than Anthony Davies in the Center position if you ask me, but Davies has better prospects as he NBA ready and can play multiple positions, even with Kobe, Boogie might not learn much, Boogie needs a Garnett, a Shaquille and shake the dream; players who understand what size means and how to dominate with size inside the paint, Boogie does not lack the moves or heart, he is fearless but he just needs that consistent person that can help channel his emotions and energy on the court every night.

I would bleed with disappointment if Boogie is allowed to phase out of reckon because no one took him under arms, everyone is watching and knows exactly what this kid is lacking but no one is stepping up, he needs mentorship desperately, I love his game when his head is on the court, he is unstoppable.
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 4:11am On Jun 29, 2015
A40:

Right on point,I bet the kid just realised how influential and respected Kobe is cause he deleted the tweet of 3yrs moments after he got drafted by Lakers and knew he would be playing under Mr Bryant's leadership.....he honestly didn't see that coming hence he would put all that into consideration before dropping the hateful tweet;

“Gee I sure hope Kobe can keep his hands to himself in Denver this time.. #rapist

As for the #2 pick, I and most fans expected the Lakers to go for a big man in Okafor but went for the PG which they really need,check out last season's stats for Lakers PGs;

"The Lakers needed help, as their starting point guards last season ranked nearly last in the league in minutes (29.9 per game, 27th in the league), points (12.2, 23rd in the league), assists (4.7, tied for 25th in the league) and made 3-pointers (1.0, tied for 22nd in the league)."

Looking at free agency there are few available PGs while we have decent big men we could build with....eg Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 10:44am On Jun 29, 2015
"LeBron James will bypass his $21.6 million player option with the Cleveland Cavaliers and become a free agent on July 1. The move, which was expected, marks the third time in the past six years that James will be an unrestricted free agent. This time is expected to have a different outcome, as James intends to re-sign with his current team,James is also likely to see how Kevin Love's free agency plays out before finalizing a deal."
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
kliq:

Right on point,I bet the kid just realised how influential and respected Kobe is cause he deleted the tweet of 3yrs moments after he got drafted by Lakers and knew he would be playing under Mr Bryant's leadership.....he honestly didn't see that coming hence he would put all that into consideration before dropping the hateful tweet;

“Gee I sure hope Kobe can keep his hands to himself in Denver this time.. #rapist

As for the #2 pick, I and most fans expected the Lakers to go for a big man in Okafor but went for the PG which they really need,check out last season's stats for Lakers PGs;

"The Lakers needed help, as their starting point guards last season ranked nearly last in the league in minutes (29.9 per game, 27th in the league), points (12.2, 23rd in the league), assists (4.7, tied for 25th in the league) and made 3-pointers (1.0, tied for 22nd in the league)."

Looking at free agency there are few available PGs while we have decent big men we could build with....eg Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins

Lool he said that? What an eediot!! I hope he gets special rookie treatment from him

Only an ewok would believe Kobe actually r@ped that beech! What! She wasn't even a 6 and Kobe was knacking bad beeches steadily back in the day.

Had it been he were a r@pist why didn't other women pop up to also accuse Kobe of such acts. Abi does her puna secrete crude oil and natural gas that he would put his career and freedom on the line for it? It won't be well with that beech!

Well if DeAngelo Russell is as good a scorer as being touted then it might turn out to be a good move afterall. They also have Julius Randle coming back from injury so they probably felt they could make a play in Free Agency. Wouldn't be suprised if they went for Love with Kobe running on fumes wouldn't be suprised if Love fancies a chance to be 'the guy' at a team with the history of the Lakers. I personally don't see Love as a #1 guy on a team and I suspect he feels the same way too so he would most likely stay with the Cavs
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2015
A40:

Lool he said that? What an eediot!! I hope he gets special rookie treatment from him

Only an ewok would believe Kobe actually r@ped that beech! What! She wasn't even a 6 and Kobe was knacking bad beeches steadily back in the day.

Had it been he were a r@pist why didn't other women pop up to also accuse Kobe of such acts. Abi does her puna secrete crude oil and natural gas that he would put his career and freedom on the line for it? It won't be well with that beech!

Well if DeAngelo Russell is as good a scorer as being touted then it might turn out to be a good move afterall. They also have Julius Randle coming back from injury so they probably felt they could make a play in Free Agency. Wouldn't be suprised if they went for Love with Kobe running on fumes wouldn't be suprised if Love fancies a chance to be 'the guy' at a team with the history of the Lakers. I personally don't see Love as a #1 guy on a team and I suspect he feels the same way too so he would most likely stay with the Cavs

Lmao cheesy now you see why it's news...guess the kid didn't even think he will be playing someday in the NBA talk-less being in the same team with Kobe.

I heard a "rumour" that the Lakers are considering involving Russell in a deal that would bring in Cousins, I just hope it's not true.
Re: The NBA Begins by Killrhymz: 8:29am On Jun 30, 2015
IMO think d sixers don't know the player they need, how can they draft three centres in three consecutive seasons. they could have drafted j. Winslow and okafor could have gone to the Knicks.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:15pm On Jun 30, 2015
kliq:

Lmao cheesy now you see why it's news...guess the kid didn't even think he will be playing someday in the NBA talk-less being in the same team with Kobe.
I heard a "rumour" that the Lakers are considering involving Russell in a deal that would bring in Cousins, I just hope it's not true.
I think its a probable move. Boogie would help the Lakers a lot. On the flipside if he doesn't adjust his attitude and DeAngelo goes on to be a star the Lakers would have eggs on their face for a very long time

Killrhymz:
IMO think d sixers don't know the player they need, how can they draft three centres in three consecutive seasons. they could have drafted j. Winslow and okafor could have gone to the Knicks.
Re: The NBA Begins by joephemzyz(m): 7:09am On Jul 01, 2015
Ha! Saw j.winslow during the final four madness n he ws a constant reminder of the beardman#jh13. Better defense tho...

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (2190) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.