Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,078 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (336) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1610652 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) ... (2192) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 10:34pm On Jul 07, 2016
@eruditor
Firstly Durant earns more if he stayed with OKC,this says that the move is not about money which I respect.
Also,
OKC didn't plateau,things were looking up for that franchise they beat the highly rated spurs and took you guys to 7 games.
There is no reason why witg a few roster tweaks they can't win the whole thing alas,we'll never find out.

KD made the right choice for his legacy (which is really all that matters) but make we no rewrite history.
I blame the people that count the rings to judge a player if not he wouldn't leave same for others too.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by borngeologist(m): 10:47pm On Jul 07, 2016
Kd on his way to gsw
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 11:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
Eruditor:
Abeg someone should riddle me this. Why is it better for a player to sign for an outfit with less probability of winning a ring, when the money they would have paid him is not more than what he would have earned playing for a team with a far greater probability?

season will answer your riddle, one way or the other. shikena. whats done is done - lets see

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 11:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
Some can't wait to see us fail already undecided undecided

Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 12:14am On Jul 08, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
you see this is the problem. You all wanted him to sign not for him and wt he wants but because the okc trades were all centered around him.

But when players like Wade live for the fans and what not, GM's like Pat Riley reminds them that it's all about BUSINESS and not sentiments.

So no! He shouldn't have done wat pipo think, but want he wants in his heart. At the end of the day he is Durant and has the right to choose.
Yeah...its the same thing...they made all those trades to please him supposedly.....Just like when you mentioned earlier that the Pacers were building a team around Paul George....How will Pacers feel if Paul George (if he was a free agent) left after they were building a team around him??Trust me, that is how OKC feel now cos i believe if they knew Durant was going, probably Ibaka would have not gone..Its really left a huge void in the team but he's a grown man and still my favourite player, so i respect his decision.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:17am On Jul 08, 2016
Eruditor:
Abeg someone should riddle me this. Why is it better for a player to sign for an outfit with less probability of winning a ring, when the money they would have paid him is not more than what he would have earned playing for a team with a far greater probability?

What is all this talk about loyalty and reputation? Why did Magic and Bird stay with one team? Well, for starters, the Cetlics and Lakers of the 80s were the absolute best. Why would anyone want to leave such teams?

How can't people see that OKC had plateaued? They had nowhere else to go. They are not better than SAS or GSW. And chances are they may have regressed the following season. I don't see anything wrong with what KD did just like I never criticised Lebron for leaving.

As for those who think KD going there will make the NBA less competitive, they should tell us what sport they were watching when Bill Russell and his Celtics team were winning 11 titles or When Jordan and his bulls won 6 titles between 91-98.

KD will be judged by his rings. Jordan pretty much said it when he was asked to compare Bron and Kobe. Let Reggie Miller and Ewing use their reputation and loyalty to buy a ring. I don't remember anyone telling us Lebron only has 1 ring. They said he has 3 and that he is even top 5 greatest in Magic's eyes. If KD wins 3 or 4 with GSW, trust me, that's all history will remember.

Gary Payton won a ring with Miami in 06 I think. Who remembers that? That's why going to sneak a ring towards the end of your career is useless. KD should win a ring now that he still matters- and that's what he wants to do. It is fine by me.
Even that rotund buffoon Charles Barkley dey join them to yab Durant. Amnesia no kuku allow am remember say he ran to go and join Hakeem and Drexler to play for a ring in 96

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:23am On Jul 08, 2016
That Warriors team would run people out of the gym next season. The days of trapping Steph are pretty much up
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 12:36am On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

Yeah...its the same thing...they made all those trades to please him supposedly.....Just like when you mentioned earlier that the Pacers were building a team around Paul George....How will Pacers feel if Paul George (if he was a free agent) left after they were building a team around him??Trust me, that is how OKC feel now cos i believe if they knew Durant was going, probably Ibaka would have not gone..Its really left a huge void in the team but he's a grown man and still my favourite player, so i respect his decision.
OKC did that to trap him into staying and also offered him an important position at Oklahoma all to make him stay but the dude already mentioned he'll be making Basketball decisions come off season why gamble?? They gambled and lost.
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 12:45am On Jul 08, 2016
SmooshCHN:
OKC did that to trap him into staying and also offered him an important position at Oklahoma all to make him stay but the dude already mentioned he'll be making Basketball decisions come off season why gamble?? They gambled and lost.
Trust me, in a way. I think we should trade Westbrook so we can get a decent point guard and a superstar that can shoot. Except that, we are literally done..Am thinking trading Westbrook and getting a Mike Conley or Chris Paul and a star shooter in Paul George??
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:54am On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

Trust me, in a way. I think we should trade Westbrook so we can get a decent point guard and a superstar that can shoot. Except that, we are literally done..Am thinking trading Westbrook and getting a Mike Conley or Chris Paul and a star shooter in Paul George??
Those teams are not trading their best players lol... When things like these happens, Things often have to rebuild from scratch...... Unless you are the spurs
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 1:51am On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

with Westbrook definitely leaving next season?

You bring in oladipo? And of cuz AL Horford has signed to the Celtics. With what KD wants:A ring. Do you really think they had a shot? With that lineup sincerely..

With Ibaka gone who was huge defensively?

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 3:13am On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

cp3 too old and Conley is in a good position.
trade him to the Lakers and get D'angelo ,another young guy(ingram or thay young SF) plus some draft pick.
and tank this season.

or the Celtics but I don't think WB wants to go there
Re: The NBA Begins by Skywalker5(m): 4:45am On Jul 08, 2016
Donlittle:
Not mad at Durant, nor wade... They are chasing rings, money or whatever. Go do it. Just disappointed really because it is less competition in the west.
I think the east is getting stronger with the bulls and Knicks.want to see how the cavs play this season.
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 11:21am On Jul 08, 2016
A40:

Even that rotund buffoon Charles Barkley dey join them to yab Durant. Amnesia no kuku allow am remember say he ran to go and join Hakeem and Drexler to play for a ring in 96

Different though. Charles Barkley was already on the decline then(Durant is in his pomp). Plus the bulls were the best team not the Rockets. What Durant did is Akin to Sir Charles teaming up with Jordan and Pippen back in 91-92. Or Zeke teaming up with the Celtics back in the mid 80s. Don't blame him though. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 11:37am On Jul 08, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
with Westbrook definitely leaving next season?

You bring in oladipo? And of cuz AL Horford has signed to the Celtics. With what KD wants:A ring. Do you really think they had a shot? With that lineup sincerely..

With Ibaka gone who was huge defensively?
Did you watch Steven Adams and Roberson in the playoffs??They were huge....Even Dion Waiters......We were arguably the best team in the playoffs not to win the championship.....Give us a superstar thats a good scorer, we will still contend for the ring next season.......
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 11:38am On Jul 08, 2016
SIRcumalot:

cp3 too old and Conley is in a good position.
trade him to the Lakers and get D'angelo ,another young guy(ingram or thay young SF) plus some draft pick.
and tank this season.

or the Celtics but I don't think WB wants to go there
The guy i wanted from the Lakers has already re-signed a new deal...i.e Jordan Clarkson...Boy can play...
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2016
SIRcumalot:
@eruditor
Firstly Durant earns more if he stayed with OKC,this says that the move is not about money which I respect.
Also,
OKC didn't plateau,things were looking up for that franchise they beat the highly rated spurs and took you guys to 7 games.
There is no reason why witg a few roster tweaks they can't win the whole thing alas,we'll never find out.

KD made the right choice for his legacy (which is really all that matters) but make we no rewrite history.
I blame the people that count the rings to judge a player if not he wouldn't leave same for others too.

Where was the new spark for OKC coming from? You mean things were looking up for them the way things looked up for Rockets after 2015?
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:49pm On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

Did you watch Steven Adams and Roberson in the playoffs??They were huge....Even Dion Waiters......We were arguably the best team in the playoffs not to win the championship.....Give us a superstar thats a good scorer, we will still contend for the ring next season.......

Ok, if OKC was the best team in the playoffs, why is it a problem now that KD went to a team that OKC was better than?
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
chic2pimp:

Different though. Charles Barkley was already on the decline then(Durant is in his pomp). Plus the bulls were the best team not the Rockets. What Durant did is Akin to Sir Charles teaming up with Jordan and Pippen back in 91-92. Or Zeke teaming up with the Celtics back in the mid 80s. Don't blame him though. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

1. Charles left Philly at age 29. He forced a move to Lakers but somehow it broke down and he went to Suns (that were better than Philly at the time)

2. He forced a move again to Houston at age 33 yes, but his numbers were 23ppg and 11 boards when he joined Rockets. I don't see this as a decline. Charles ported to back to back Champions with 2 other HOFers in Drexler and Olajuwon.

3. If Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, P. Jackson had recruited Charles from Suns to Bulls, he would have gone there. Make no mistakes about it.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
chic2pimp:

Can we stop making exceptions and exaggerating this move? whether Chuck joined a power house when he was 18 or when he turned 50 and desperate, it does not matter.

Durant loves Oklahoma dearly, infact OKC offered him more money to stay that i can tell you, however he understands there is absolutely no way he can win a championship with Westbrook, bench players, or management not investing in a consistent perimeter scorer.

Durant is not just any kind of player, he is a beast and even your competition would recruit him, that is how good he is. he would turn 27 in September, he not getting any younger, this is purely basketball decision, i doubt he is interested in the struggle for who the captain of the ship in Oakland, this is all about chips and legacy, that is his ego.

There has been so much noise about how much power the Warrior offense would exert, however, on the current roaster the Warriors have only 3 world class defender, whom you trust would show up in a series and it does not include Curry (simply force him to defend at the top of the pick and roll and u are fine) or Durant.

Klay, Green and Iggy whom i doubt would be effective this season because the beginning of the end started this past season with the back injury, the most he has left in the tank with that back at 32 is 1 year, so basically u have 2 world class defenders.

The warriors have no big or interior presence and this contributed to why they lost the final series to Lebron, they would be pounded under the rim again. My trust in Steve Kerr as a tactically sound coach faded this past season, i would spare the details as i already discussed this extensively during the series.

The warriors would be fun to watch especially with one of my favorite players (Durant) joining them, i would be rooting for Durant and this crop of Warriors to win chips together.

#greenrunsdeep

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2016
Eruditor:

1. Charles left Philly at age 29. He forced a move to Lakers but somehow it broke down and he went to Suns (that were better than Philly at the time)

2. He forced a move again to Houston at age 33 yes, but his numbers were 23ppg and 11 boards when he joined Rockets. I don't see this as a decline. Charles ported to back to back Champions with 2 other HOFers in Drexler and Olajuwon.

3. If Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, P. Jackson had recruited Charles from Suns to Bulls, he would have gone there. Make no mistakes about it.

1. Where the Suns the best team in the NBA when He moved there? NO they weren't. So I don't see how you can compare the two.

2.Charles was definitely on the decline (compare those stats to when He was vying for the MVP title)with a well documented back problem unlike KD who is right in his pomp. Plus the rockets were not even the best team on their conference never mind the NBA so yet again it's a different scenario.

3. Ifs and Buts. He did not go there so yet again two uncomparable situations.

As I said already I don't blame KD. He wants the rings and is only giving himself the best possible chance of doing just that but abeg it's not comparable to Sir Charles's.
Re: The NBA Begins by kenturkish(m): 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

The guy i wanted from the Lakers has already re-signed a new deal...i.e Jordan Clarkson...Boy can play...
Lakers really believe in their young core and I don't think they will break that up, not yet anyways. Clarkson is legit, even Russell and julius then add Ingram things are looking up
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2016

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2016
aliondo:

the Lakers will trade Clarkson for WB so fast your head go spin.
but you guys have to ask,losing Westbrook for nothing go send the franchise into the dark ages.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:32pm On Jul 08, 2016
Eruditor:

Where was the new spark for OKC coming from? You mean things were looking up for them the way things looked up for Rockets after 2015?

new coach, a fully recovered superstar able to play to his Max ability an exciting new players under rookie contract like Adams.
again defeating the spurs and taking the warriors
they even traded away ibaka because he wasn't happy with his role anymore.
2015 this team wasn't even in the playoffs.

James Harden is the leader of the 2015 rockets and you saw he started 2016 not the same thing.

some of this reporters are saying Durant acted preemptively because WB was going to join the Lakers.
if he was fully assured that WB would remain,maybe This don't happen
Re: The NBA Begins by Manutd19: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
A40:
That Warriors team would run people out of the gym next season. The days of trapping Steph are pretty much up

you sir know this game not like some people. I wish all the other teams luck though. Cleveland most especially. I'll say it again, if no rig for LBJ to win, no way they beats win 2 games in a series against the warriors.
Re: The NBA Begins by Manutd19: 5:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
Skywalker5:

I think the east is getting stronger with the bulls and Knicks.want to see how the cavs play this season.

The east is still what it was. A very weak conference made for their king easy road to the finals every season.
Knicks are only a 5-7 more wins better than last season. Not cos of the handicapped D.Rose but Poz. Pray Rose plays half of the games next season.
Bulls: that franchise just can't get it right after Jordan. You've Rondo, Butler, Wade as ur core, who's shooting the damn ball? That team is just there to make the playoff.
No team in the east is capable of taking 2 games from a full dedicated Cavs team. East is still Shit!
Re: The NBA Begins by Manutd19: 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
Kerr gotta up his game. Somehow i still feel Luke did better with the squad than him last season.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 7:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
Mizzzbeee Speights has left to Clippers cry
So we let 5 players go Burbosa, Speights, Brandon Rush, Festus and Barnes.. cry. must be hard for the Staffs and players.
Re: The NBA Begins by Manutd19: 7:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
SmooshCHN:
So we let 5 players go Burbosa, Speights, Brandon Rush, Festus and Barnes.. cry. must be hard for the Staffs and players.

not so good but won't complain. Getting Durant is huge.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 9:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
SmooshCHN:
I won't lie I am pained cry especially speights and Barbosa leaving.... Since speights signed with the clips for a min why ddn't Warriors sign him for the min

Speights showed max improvement, staffs invested in him, started shooting the three, our hype bench is gone.... Especially when that three goes in and the sleeve dance is out.... Wud miss all that cry

All this oldies vet that we are packing on the bench ehn it's all short term dnt see them staying with the team like Mo, SDot, Rush and Barbosa did cry

Just as the saying goes: You can't eat your cake and have it

I am sad. cry embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) ... (2192) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.