Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (495) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1617118 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (2199) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 1:59am On Apr 28, 2017
A40:

Hahahaha. So who was guarding Westbrook on the other end? Or you think he just shot 38% on his own. No! Patrick Beverley did a job on him and what's worse Patrick Beverley had 21pts in Game 1, was 6 of 10 in Game 5! Patrick Beverley y'all.

Harden didn't play better than Westbrook. The key difference is he had HELP.

Lou Williams 22ppg
Nenê 85 FG% in the series
Patrick Beverley 14.5ppg

Can you boldly tell us the stats of Westbrook's teammates individually? Maybe 3 of them at random and not the community analysis you are doing.

Good that you mentioned Roberson. My suprise is that you omitted his 2/21 FT shooting

WB was guarded by a system and less by individuals. That is why Beverley could do his own on the offensive end.

WB was not playing any fantastic either. His considerably high ppgs are explained by his extremely high shot attempts.

Lou Will was benefiting from a system not his individual talent alone. 18.8ppg is a career high for him.

Nenê benefitted from the same system. His FG% playoffs wise jumped from 44% to 85%. Ditto Beverley (who played last season and did not influence anything offensively).

That is why it is unnecessary to list out the individual stats of the OKC players as they were undone by the system or lack thereof and that is where Russell was to come in.

I didn't omit Roberson's bad FT shooting. I simply showed that he marked the socks out of Harden and he made many big 3s for his team as well.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:04am On Apr 28, 2017
A40:
Teammate not mother. No wonder ninjas called Westbrook a single mom

LeBron with Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Frye, J.R Smith was still crying for help mid-season but una dey expect magic from Westbrook

He was outgunned and lost to a hopelessly overmatched team but still made the series competitive. Shikena
We're talking of watching your teammates playing worse than they used to. A clear difference between not just Westbrook and LeBron but leaders like MJ, Kobe and Olajuwon who make sure they carry their team along and are more enthusiastic about their team's success. Except you mean we don't know players who play under LeBron are usually appear to play better than they used to. His cry baby ass can easily average a TD but he cries about not winning and wanted his guys doing more. They obviously can't beat GSW in their best day. I'm calling them out because the whole team seemed satisfied with him getting his TDs. Westbrook included.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:09am On Apr 28, 2017
birdman:

Rio don comot league? Wao shocked
Injury again cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 2:10am On Apr 28, 2017
A40:

You no like Will Smith. RW is a basketballer not a magician. Westbrook cannot be held responsible for Oladipo shooting 5pts below his regular season average. When would you guys hold Oladipo accountable for shooting under 25% from the field on the road. If una even talk say this was his debut post season and the magnitude of the occasion got to him that is even slightly more acceptable. On the flipside what did Harden will out of Nene or Lou Williams? Haba! Diarriz God oh

Oladipo's pts are the same from Orlando to OKC so I don't know which regression you mean. A guy makes only 4 shots out of the 17 he took but it is somehow Westbrook's fault. Unfassbar

I pray he leaves OKC. I want to see that player that would come and turn Oladipo, Roberson and Adams to World Champions

If Harden opted to come back in would Mike have stopped him? Mba. Even in moments where Harden and Will played together was Harden jacking up shots? Mba. You keep bringing up Nenê and I asked you if he creates his own shots? He simply benefits from a system.

Oladipo shot badly sure. But zeroing in to raw numbers like 4/17 is a bit superficial. One player pounds the ball for 22secs and then releases it to you with 2 secs left, what else do you do but shoot? Good. It clangs off and the stats will show 0/1 but only someone watching the game would know you shot off rhythm.

Also, the regression is from the fact that after last year's all stars his numbers improved which is why he was rated 48 by ESPN when this season began. Pundits assumed his numbers will be better than his career average or atleast mirror his 18ppg peak season. It did not and it is not only because he is a scrub.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 2:22am On Apr 28, 2017
A40:

I'm not blind to Westbrook's faults. He takes a little too many shots and could manage the 4th quarters better but when Westbrook starts getting blame for other guys simply not doing their job then we have to call una to order. When old man Nenê is shooting 85% percent, Oladipo averaging 9.8ppg but Westbrook is still getting blamed. I no gree that one

Go and check Ryan's minutes in that series. On his bad nights he barely went past 20mins. He played for just 19 in one of them. In Games 4 and 5 he only had a combined 11 shots. Why would any team that is not mad keep feeding a cold shooter in the playoffs? So no they didn't keep feeding him the ball

32 shots in 7 games is still less than 5 per game. You are making my argument for me with the Barnes example. If your role player is shooting at 10percent then whether you take 20 or shoot 40. You would still LOSE.

How many shots does Anderson get regularly? It may interest you to know he got just about the same number of shots (11 per game in the regular season and 8 per game in the playoffs). And he averaged 29mins per game in the series. So if he had 11 in games 4 & 5 it means he got 29 in games 1-3 which means he was still getting his shots (9.6per game) and we know his shots were almost always uncontested.

Harrison Barnes had 32 shots in his game 5,6,7 and not over the whole series. Which means he got 10 uncontested shots per game in those games. Not pass-it-off-to-Barnes-with-1-sec-to-go shots. I mean, totally ryhthmic shots.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:28am On Apr 28, 2017
Big leads are quite deceptive #RaptorsvBucks
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 2:31am On Apr 28, 2017
SmooshCHN1:
Nuff Said

Part 2 is here guys cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRv_NZxzYDQ

grin grin

D'Antoni does not care about defense. Lol
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:32am On Apr 28, 2017
Raptors, pls go see a reputable babalawo. Village tinz
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:34am On Apr 28, 2017
Vince Carter was great in the last minute of the 3rd quarter in this game.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 5:12am On Apr 28, 2017
Tony Parker with the big buckets!! kawhi na still cheat for this game, it was always going to be spurs in 6.great game.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:13am On Apr 28, 2017
Tony Parker turning back the hands of time.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:17am On Apr 28, 2017
Memphis coach has quietly made a name for himself in the playoffs. His plays, keeping that team together, and also calling out the NBA.

Take that for data.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 7:02am On Apr 28, 2017
Please I want to resign my #SpursNation membership. These guys are the kings of giving one heartache and headache. When they are not Arsenal.

Please which team can I port to (atleast for now) while my poor heart heals?

Yes they won but what happened in games 3 and 4 could have just killed me
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 7:10am On Apr 28, 2017
Mynd44:
Please I want to resign my #SpursNation membership. These guys are the kings of giving one heartache and headache. When they are not Arsenal.

It's expected for them to lose games 3 and 4. Everyone knew that. I said Spurs in 6.

It's a mystery how they ended up in 7th cos they are obviously better than Jazz and Thunder.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 7:13am On Apr 28, 2017
Decale:

It's expected for them to lose games 3 and 4. Everyone knew that. I said Spurs in 6.

It's a mystery how they ended up in 7th cos they are obviously better than Jazz and Thunder.

Spurs won in 6. The series ended last night 4-2
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 7:19am On Apr 28, 2017
Donlittle:
Memphis coach has quietly made a name for himself in the playoffs. His plays, keeping that team together, and also calling out the NBA.

Take that for data.

Take that for data

[img]https://coedbc.files./2016/05/screen-shot-2016-05-31-at-2-07-32-pm.jpg?quality=88&w=750[/img]
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 7:19am On Apr 28, 2017
Mynd44:

Yeah. I know
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 28, 2017
Decale:

Take that for data

[img]https://coedbc.files./2016/05/screen-shot-2016-05-31-at-2-07-32-pm.jpg?quality=88&w=750[/img]
wait, Na who him they teach arithmetics be that? Hmm take that for data. angry
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 28, 2017
Mynd44:

Dub Nation Bruh.. One of us will surely make the finals. Both ways you're safe

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:47pm On Apr 28, 2017
Mynd44:

He is saying it is a mystery Memphis ended up in 7th as they were better than OKC and the Jazz who were 6th and 5th respectively.
Re: The NBA Begins by joephemzyz(m): 4:44pm On Apr 28, 2017
greenrunsdeep....

celtics should right the ship tonight abeg, nitori olorun cool cool cool
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 28, 2017
so i heard the lonzo ball father or his lonzo the father? just cost his sons millions. Crazy, i will shoot him in the mouth if i was his son.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:34pm On Apr 28, 2017
Roland17:

Even with the all star assembly, and perimeter shooting Lebron finished 2nd in the eastern conference, yet people have a problem with Westbrook leading the Thunder to a 6th spot in the western conference, all because of his triple double. Aye ma ni ika oh!!!

I have maintained my indifference to who wins the MVP (if anything, i am leaning towards Harden), except he plays at the TD Garden, however, undermining WB's candidature because of his triple double is pathetic, and cheap.

This season, Steve Kerr became the fastest coach in NBA history to record 200 wins, would it be fair to undermine his input and argue any coach could have achieved the same record or even better that record coaching Curry, Klay, Durant, Green and a very potent bench in the NBA?

In my opinion it would be unfair to do that.

People are just being unreasonable with their expectations. The Cavs finished just 5 wins ahead of OKC in a weaker conference. This triple double people go on about won OKC games and got them into the playoffs. Rather than admitting Harden and Houston simply had better help I'm seeing Westbrook getting blamed for the incompetence of his teammates. It defies all logic. The legit issues were raised but the anti-Westbrook crowd are focusing on the abstract

Its good you brought up the Kerr example. Ninjas should give credit where its due
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
Eruditor:

How many shots does Anderson get regularly? It may interest you to know he got just about the same number of shots (11 per game in the regular season and 8 per game in the playoffs). And he averaged 29mins per game in the series. So if he had 11 in games 4 & 5 it means he got 29 in games 1-3 which means he was still getting his shots (9.6per game) and we know his shots were almost always uncontested.

Harrison Barnes had 32 shots in his game 5,6,7 and not over the whole series. Which means he got 10 uncontested shots per game in those games. Not pass-it-off-to-Barnes-with-1-sec-to-go shots. I mean, totally ryhthmic shots.
I showed you that Anderson played less than 20mins and shot 11 times COMBINED in Games 4 and 5 to counter your claim that he kept getting shots when it was apparent he had gone cold. So I don't know why you are bringing up Games 1-3.

For the Barnes example. I just want to know how that approach worked for them. Since they lost every damn game. Roleplayers need to make buckets to get more shots. That's just how it works
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 6:27pm On Apr 28, 2017
A40:

I showed you that Anderson played less than 20mins and shot 11 times COMBINED in Games 4 and 5 to counter your claim that he kept getting shots when it was apparent he had gone cold. So I don't know why you are bringing up Games 1-3.

For the Barnes example. I just want to know how that approach worked for them. Since they lost every damn game. Roleplayers need to make buckets to get more shots. That's just how it works

I also showed you that Anderson had 29 shots in games 1, 2 & 3 even though he went 3/24 from the arc in those games. In other words, he kept receiving the ball.

If Mike decided to give some other bench player a chance at Anderson's expense it should be credited as good coaching seeing that Anderson, a starter (who ought to be better was not doing any good). The fact remains, that his teammates trusted him and he would repay that trust some way when he rhythmically shoots himself out of a slump.

And yes, it is true GSW lost those games but Harrison Barnes would be better for it. RW did not trust his own teammates and preferred to jack up shots and guess what? He lost those games too. Only difference is, his teammates are worse for it.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:45pm On Apr 28, 2017
Eruditor:

If Harden opted to come back in would Mike have stopped him? Mba. Even in moments where Harden and Will played together was Harden jacking up shots? Mba. You keep bringing up Nenê and I asked you if he creates his own shots? He simply benefits from a system.

Oladipo shot badly sure. But zeroing in to raw numbers like 4/17 is a bit superficial. One player pounds the ball for 22secs and then releases it to you with 2 secs left, what else do you do but shoot? Good. It clangs off and the stats will show 0/1 but only someone watching the game would know you shot off rhythm.

Also, the regression is from the fact that after last year's all stars his numbers improved which is why he was rated 48 by ESPN when this season began. Pundits assumed his numbers will be better than his career average or atleast mirror his 18ppg peak season. It did not and it is not only because he is a scrub.
Why would Harden insist on coming in knowing very well he can sit on the bench and not watch his hardwork vanish within 2 minutes.

Lou Williams is a capable ball handler who is arguably more skilled at drawing fouls than Harden himself. OKC don't have a Lou Williams so I don't know if you are expecting that from Semaj Christon or Norris Cole.

Nenê can and creates his own shots unless your definition of shot creation by a big is him dribbling up the floor. He certainly isn't the Brazilian McGee like you claimed

How many shots did Oladipo take off rhythm? Do you have stats to show he took all 17 shots off rhythm?

What was Oladipo's shooting percentage? Even if you insist on picking a period where the season was largely lost and the uptick in points were not indicative of anything. At least try not to find a way of pinning this on Westbrook. This same Oladipo averaged 15pts in the regular season, playoffs came and this guy is shooting less than 30%, averaging 9pts despite not being guarded by the opposition's best player. If you had even pointed to 'lack of playoff experience' that one is still a reasonable excuse not this rhythm, reggae and blues line you keep dropping
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 7:27pm On Apr 28, 2017
Westbrook don win this MVP and his already out of the playoffs,all this talk suppose don dead now.

CP3 to score around 50pts the coming game and force a game 7.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 7:31pm On Apr 28, 2017
A40:

Why would Harden insist on coming in knowing very well he can sit on the bench and not watch his hardwork vanish within 2 minutes.

Lou Williams is a capable ball handler who is arguably more skilled at drawing fouls than Harden himself. OKC don't have a Lou Williams so I don't know if you are expecting that from Semaj Christon or Norris Cole.

Nenê can and creates his own shots unless your definition of shot creation by a big is him dribbling up the floor. He certainly isn't the Brazilian McGee like you claimed

How many shots did Oladipo take off rhythm? Do you have stats to show he took all 17 shots off rhythm?

What was Oladipo's shooting percentage? Even if you insist on picking a period where the season was largely lost and the uptick in points were not indicative of anything. At least try not to find a way of pinning this on Westbrook. This same Oladipo averaged 15pts in the regular season, playoffs came and this guy is shooting less than 30%, averaging 9pts despite not being guarded by the opposition's best player. If you had even pointed to 'lack of playoff experience' that one is still a reasonable excuse not this rhythm, reggae and blues line you keep dropping

Then the credit should go to better coaching and a better system not necessarily having better players.

For all Lou's capabilities he never averaged 18.8ppg in the playoffs until Houston. Again, this proves he is benefitting more from a system than being a vastly superior talent to what OKC possess.

A shot from Gordon richochets the rim and 6'11 Nenê puts it back- shot creation. Routine PnRs that lead to alley-hoops that Nenê dunks - shot creation. Pass to Nenê in the post, he dribbles the ball 1 or 2 times backing close to the rim, turns around for a routine lay-up - shot creation. All the things Javale cannot do.

No he didn't take all shots off rhythm any more than RW did when he shot 4/18 or 3/18 from 3 in game 4. Nobody is making an excuse for Oladipo alone, but the whole team - something everyone had noticed about Russell's game even while KD was there.

No team will make it far in a system where 1 player dribbles the ball all the time no matter how good said player is.

Oladipo has come under your tutelage and it is your duty to make him a better player for the team's sake. Pass the ball to him with 18 secs on the clock let him feel it and move. He is not a great catch and shoot player so giving him the ball with 2 secs to go is just rubbish basketball.

Tell yourself, "at the expense of my ppg I would keep feeding my teammates the ball so they can get into a rhythm. If we lose, we lose".

Do it long enough and before long those "scrubs" will get a feel of the game and repay your faith.

It is not rocket science that OKC won more games in which Oladipo and co had decent numbers at good percentages. But all that was overshadowed by TDs such that it became if you did not have them your team lost. Okay sir. You had them 4 times in 5 games and guess how many games your team lost?

Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:32pm On Apr 28, 2017
Eruditor:

WB was guarded by a system and less by individuals. That is why Beverley could do his own on the offensive end.

WB was not playing any fantastic either. His considerably high ppgs are explained by his extremely high shot attempts.

Lou Will was benefiting from a system not his individual talent alone. 18.8ppg is a career high for him.

Nenê benefitted from the same system. His FG% playoffs wise jumped from 44% to 85%. Ditto Beverley (who played last season and did not influence anything offensively).

That is why it is unnecessary to list out the individual stats of the OKC players as they were undone by the system or lack thereof and that is where Russell was to come in.

I didn't omit Roberson's bad FT shooting. I simply showed that he marked the socks out of Harden and he made many big 3s for his team as well.

Beverley was Westbrook's primary defender. This does not mean he guarded him the entire series. But when he guarded he did enough damage. I recall a game Westbrook made 5 turnovers while being guarded by Beverley. Now when you talk about system I just laugh as if it is not these players that make the system click.

What is D'Antoni's system? The same D'Antoni you labeled a one trick pony even after I showed you his teams in LA and N.Y were simply doomed to fail? All of a sudden he is now an offensive and even defensive guru.

Anyway I would advise you wait till they face the Spurs and maybe the Warriors before you keep hailing this system. This one that you are juxtaposing a decade worth stretch of playoff games vs a 5 game one.

I'm still waiting for you to show me the system that turned Roberson to a 14% FT shooter, or the one that makes Enes Kanter unable to defend the PnR. I bet there is a system too that can magically make Oladipo not shoot worse than 30% from the floor

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 7:58pm On Apr 28, 2017
A40:

Beverley was Westbrook's primary defender. This does not mean he guarded him the entire series. But when he guarded he did enough damage. I recall a game Westbrook made 5 turnovers while being guarded by Beverley. Now when you talk about system I just laugh as if it is not these players that make the system click.

What is D'Antoni's system? The same D'Antoni you labeled a one trick pony even after I showed you his teams in LA and N.Y were simply doomed to fail? All of a sudden he is now an offensive and even defensive guru.

Anyway I would advise you wait till they face the Spurs and maybe the Warriors before you keep hailing this system. This one that you are juxtaposing a decade worth stretch of playoff games vs a 5 game one.

I'm still waiting for you to show me the system that turned Roberson to a 14% FT shooter, or the one that makes Enes Kanter unable to defend the PnR. I bet there is a system too that can magically make Oladipo not shoot worse than 30% from the floor

RW was double and triple teamed alot all series long and just like Jordan in the mid 80's he kept trying to prove he could not be guarded which forced a couple of TOs of such plays. Beverley was part of the system of players Mike threw at RW. Period.

D'Antoni can do alot if he has his type of players at his disposal. He has proven that by failing with the Lakers and Knicks. Your excuse that those teams were destined to fail is neither here nor there because this same Rockets team were destined to fail.

I am hailing the system not because of what it has achieved thus far but because it has elevated the game of almost every team member on the roster. If they lose to Spurs or GSW, it will only amplify the importance of playing to a system (since both teams have been enmeshed in systems longer than the Rockets) and not all these wanton heroics we saw in the playoffs.

There was a reason Roberson kept playing even when he was bricking FTs. I wager that if someone else and not him was marking Harden, there would have been no need for his missed FTs as Harden would have scored loads for fun and Houston would have blown out OKC.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 8:04pm On Apr 28, 2017
If your team loses because you passed to your teammates who let you down you can live with it (and we would accept that you needed better). But when your team loses because you decided to shoot 18 shots and make only 3 of them in the 4th quarter then you are responsible for your team losing especially when your 4th quarter percentages were as bad as those of your teammates who shot 4/17 and 2/21 from the field and FT respectively.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:33pm On Apr 28, 2017
Eruditor:

Then the credit should go to better coaching and a better system not necessarily having better players.

For all Lou's capabilities he never averaged 18.8ppg in the playoffs until Houston. Again, this proves he is benefitting more from a system than being a vastly superior talent to what OKC possess.

A shot from Gordon richochets the rim and 6'11 Nenê puts it back- shot creation. Routine PnRs that lead to alley-hoops that Nenê dunks - shot creation. Pass to Nenê in the post, he dribbles the ball 1 or 2 times backing close to the rim, turns around for a routine lay-up - shot creation. All the things Javale cannot do.

No he didn't take all shots off rhythm any more than RW did when he shot 4/18 or 3/18 from 3 in game 4. Nobody is making an excuse for Oladipo alone, but the whole team - something everyone had noticed about Russell's game even while KD was there.

No team will make it far in a system where 1 player dribbles the ball all the time no matter how good said player is.

Oladipo has come under your tutelage and it is your duty to make him a better player for the team's sake. Pass the ball to him with 18 secs on the clock let him feel it and move. He is not a great catch and shoot player so giving him the ball with 2 secs to go is just rubbish basketball.

Tell yourself, "at the expense of my ppg I would keep feeding my teammates the ball so they can get into a rhythm. If we lose, we lose".

Do it long enough and before long those "scrubs" will get a feel of the game and repay your faith.

It is not rocket science that OKC won more games in which Oladipo and co had decent numbers at good percentages. But all that was overshadowed by TDs such that it became if you did not have them your team lost. Okay sir. You had them 4 times in 5 games and guess how many games your team lost?

Your guess is as good as mine.
If having better players didn't matter how does Erik Spoelstra go from 4 straight finals to not making playoffs at all?

That is down to a lot of factors including opposition strength. Not just the mythical 'system' you keep repeating ad nauseum. In the event his numbers drop against teams like the Spurs and Golden State I would like to see your explanation

By your logic we can call Tim Duncan, Shaq, heck even Kareem Abdul Jabbar American McGee's since bigs have to drive to the rim a la Iverson before you acknowledge their post game. Go and ask Adams who frequently got torched by sharp footwork whether Nenê is McGee 2.0

In that series which game was Oladipo in 'rhythm' you can't even present any stat to backup your claim that Oladipo always got the ball late in the shot clock. What is worse where is the sense in passing to someone who is 1/12 when you are chasing the game. That is as smart as giving a running back the ball after 3 fumbles when you are down 4 Touchdowns

(1) (2) (3) ... (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) ... (2199) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.