Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free (3223 Views)

APC Will Only Substitute Audu For Kogi Supplementary Election - Attorney General / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria / Ebonyi Gov Suspends Attorney General, Two Commissioners For Improper Dressing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 12:54am On Oct 04, 2007
Na wah oh, no be me talk am, its the punch newspaper that said so.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200710043103785

This AG is someone of questionable characters, i wonder where the president got him from. How can he do this.

Mt first post on Nairaland, oya my people comment, if the AG answers letters to lawyers of rich ex-governors and suspected corrupt looters being investigated, what time to defend the interest of the people.

If the president knows what is good, he should sack this man, this man is not worthy of such an office.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 12:55am On Oct 04, 2007
Fresh facts emerged on Wednesday that the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa (SAN), personally wrote a letter which might have played an important role in the acquittal of ex-Governor James Ibori of Delta State by a London court.

The Southwark Crown Court in London had on Monday discharged a restraint order it granted on August 2 against Ibori, Erin Aviation and others.

The order had barred Ibori and the other suspects from having access to their property, pending their trial for money laundering.

The trial of Ibori had generated considerable interest in the country until his sudden discharge by the London court for want of evidence.

Barely 24 hours after Ibori‘s acquittal, THE PUNCH broke the news that the Federal Government might have contributed to the reprieve for the former governor.

A source had confided in THE PUNCH that the government allegedly wrote a letter on August 7 to the counsel for Ibori, claiming that he (Ibori) had no case to answer.

But the AGF on Tuesday denied knowledge of the controversial letter.

He had said, “I did not write any letter to the Crown Court. That was not the basis on which the case was dismissed. The evidence before him (the judge) was not sufficient. What has the AGF got to do with it?

“I have never done anything to frustrate the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on any matter. Don‘t forget that the commission had told the Nigerian media that it was not involved in Ibori‘s case in London. Why are they now talking of frustration? Why are they dragging me into an issue that I did not know anything about?”

Contrary to the AGF‘s claim, findings by our correspondents revealed that he wrote a no-case submission letter to Ibori‘s counsel, Ian Timlin (Partner) and Julie Thrower (Solicitor).

The counsel are from a firm of City Dispute Resolution Solicitors, Speechly Bircham.

It was learnt that the ex-governor‘s counsel tendered the AGF‘s letter at the resumed trial of Ibori on October 1 in London.

It was gathered that Ibori’s counsel used the letter to extricate their client from the Southwark Court.

The letter showed that there had been correspondence between Ibori’s counsel and the AGF.

The content of the earlier letters and what motivated them was, however, not clear at press time.

There were, however, two curious twists.

The first was that whereas it took the AGF’s office one week to respond to the August 20 letter of the Metropolitan Police on the case against Ibori, it took him only three days to respond to the letter by Ibori’s counsel.

The second was the tone of the AGF’s August 7 reply to the letter from Ibori’s counsel.

The reply seemed to suggest that the AGF was completely unaware of any case against Ibori, even though the EFCC had told the Senate on September 28, 2006 that Ibori was one of the governors under investigation.

The AGF’s letter, which was obtained by our correspondents on Wednesday reads, “Further to your letter Ref. IFT/JAT/316533 dated 4th August, 2007 on the above subject matter, I hereby react as follows:

“That Chief James Onanefe Ibori was investigated in connection with his acts and activities whilst in office as Governor of Delta State between 29th May, 1999 and 29th May, 2007.

“That there is no record that your client, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has been charged to any court of law in Nigeria in respect of any offence relating to money laundering or any other offences in connection with his acts and activities whilst in office as Governor of Delta State between 29th May, 1999 and 29th May, 2007.

“That your client, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has not been tried and/or convicted by any court of law in Nigeria for any offence relating to money laundering or any other offences in connection with his acts and activities whilst in office as Governor of Delta State between 29th May, 1999 and 29th May, 2007.

“That there was no request for a freezing order emanating from my office against your client pursuant to the exercise of my power under Article 3 of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty.”

The letter by the AGF was as at Wednesday night on the website of Saharareporters, a news agency.

As at press time it was not clear who directed the AGF to write the letter to Ibori’s counsel.

A source who spoke in confidence with one of our correspondents said the letter had created disquiet in the Presidency.

He said, “It has been discovered that the AGF’s letter might have been used to mislead the Southwark Court.

“The government itself had discovered that the Chairman of the EFCC, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, had on September 28, 2006 told the Senate that 23 governors were being investigated.

“Ribadu, who listed Ibori as one of the 23 governors, specifically told the Senate that the EFCC was liaising with the British authorities to extradite some of the governors to face criminal charges.

“In fact, the government is aware that Ibori had interacted with the EFCC before he left the country for the United States in August.

“The AGF’s letter has created a moral dilemma for the government.”

Yar’Adua had, during an interaction with newsmen in New York last Thursday, admitted that he met with Ibori and some ex-governors who had cases to answer.

He also said his interaction did not mean that these ex-governors would be shielded from trial.

When contacted on Wednesday night, the AGF admitted writing a letter to Ibori’s counsel.

He said he wrote the letter in response to an enquiry by the counsel.

Aondoakaa argued that he merely stated that even though Ibori was being investigated, he had not been charged to court for any offence.

The AGF also said that he wrote to the EFCC, asking the commission to cooperate with the Metropolitan Police.

“If you have the letter, you will see that I did not say that Ibori had no case to answer. I only said that even though he was investigated, he had not been charged to court for any offence,” he said.

Asked why he wrote such a letter, he answered, “Has Ibori been charged to court in Nigeria?

“You as a journalist, if you make enquiries, can’t I reply? Will it not be wrong if I fail to reply to an enquiry? As an Attorney-General, is it not enough for me to say he’s being investigated? What else could I have done?

“Did I sign a treaty of legal mutual assistance with the Met Police? Did I order the investigation?”

On why he denied knowledge of the letter in an interview with THE PUNCH on Tuesday, he said, “The question you put to me was whether I wrote to the Crown Court. And I said no. You did not ask me whether I wrote any letter to Ibori’s lawyer.”

Asked why he preferred to write to a lawyer when he failed to cooperate with Met Police, he said, “I cooperated with them and I replied their letter.

“The police in London have not blamed me over this matter. It is you that are trying to link me with the issue.

“Why are you not satisfied with the reason given by the judge that there was no sufficient evidence before him? Do you charge people to court before you start looking for evidence?

“In Fred Egbe vs. the State, the Supreme Court held that it was wrong to charge a person to court and then start to look for evidence.

“Why will the EFCC blame me for this matter? The Met Police said it was an investigation they did in London, that it had nothing to do with Nigeria. The EFCC also said it had no hand in the matter.

“So, where did I go wrong in all this? I have done my best and I won’t kill myself.”

Nigeria is a signatory to the 2003 International Convention against Corruption and is among the 38 countries that have so far ratified the treaty.

The treaty encourages signatories to share information and to take active steps to stem corruption.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 1:02am On Oct 04, 2007
President Yar Adua if you can hear me, sack this man NOW. A lawyer known to defend thieves in the past (Akume & Co) has no business being AG, it is an insult to the people of Nigeria, you are still busy fighting legitimacy issues and your chief law officer is protecting thieves, was this an agreement or something.

Sack this man now. It was Soludo laudable initiative under interpretation of the act, then EFCC under obeying court rules (which did not exist anyway), now he is writing letter to solicitors of thieves, which was tendered in court, what next will he do to protect the interest of those it has shown he serves. SACK THIS MAN NOW.

I just imagine the judge in the Southwark Crown Court thinking what a people, if their AG the one sworn to hold the law and protect the weak with the law can write this, what misplaced prority.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 8:02am On Oct 04, 2007
“That there is no record that your client, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has been charged to any court of law in Nigeria in respect of any offence relating to money laundering or any other offences in connection with his acts and activities whilst in office as Governor of Delta State between 29th May, 1999 and 29th May, 2007.

“That your client, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has not been tried and/or convicted by any court of law in Nigeria for any offence relating to money laundering or any other offences in connection with his acts and activities whilst in office as Governor of Delta State between 29th May, 1999 and 29th May, 2007.

“That there was no request for a freezing order emanating from my office against your client pursuant to the exercise of my power under Article 3 of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty.”

are these true or not

Yes. they are true facts. So AGF has done nothing wrong.

It is rather EFCC people should be after for doing a shody-job if any good at all.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 10:27am On Oct 04, 2007
@ babasin, that is what the AG would want us to believe. But the law is not black and white, in taking a decision a learned person should consider the circumstances surrounding the request, allegations etc. Did the AG consider the circumstances surrounding the request from Ibori's lawyer before deciding to write such a letter, did he consider if writing the letter would be for the greater good of society, will it be Justice and more importantly will it "be seen" as justice. The question is not if Ibori has been convicted in the past (which is also another mystery) but should the office of the AG get involved in trying to prove his innocense.

It is difficult enough to prosecute the rich and powerful anywhere in the world, then for the chief law officer to be seen as the one ensuring that Justice is not carried out, my guy that one is a disaster.

The issues are clear, how many people has the AG written such letters in their defence in cases in Nigeria, how much more overseas, how many other Nigerias are held for offences they didnt commit, pre-trial detention is at an all time high, and the AG is busy proving the rule of law and stating the law as black and white.

Perhaps Mr.Babasin you dont know the role of the AG, he is not a private lawyer, he is employed by the state, paid by tax payers, he has no business meddling and "attempting" to help /influence cases such as this. He cannot choose who to assist and who not to? If hes assisting the rich, he must assist the poor, i dont know who esle apart of Kalu, Akume and now Ibori that this AG has helped. The manner and passion he has gone about it is too clear that he is protecting an interest, let him translate such passion to pre-trial detention situations around the country.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by McKren(m): 10:57am On Oct 04, 2007
babasin:

are these true or not

Yes. they are true facts. So AGF has done nothing wrong.

It is rather EFCC people should be after for doing a shody-job if any good at all.

Nope!!!!!!!

He was economical with the truth,

"He was investigated while he was in office" means his investigation ended on May 29 2007. You and I know that that is not very accurate.

Why did he use different phrases as investigation while in office but not charged to court while out of office. Why did he not state that he is still under investigation.

Someone should tell Micheal Aondoakaa that he is not Nigeria's first AGF nor is he the only lawyer within the shores of this country.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by follyg: 11:18am On Oct 04, 2007
@away4real
i like you reasoning ability, you must be a brilliant guy.

Andoakaa or what is he called cannot continue to fool us. It took him 3 days to reply a lawyer in UK while it took him more days to reply Soludo's naira redenomination concept. Did he take time to find out from other agencies that are empowered to investigate money laundering and other offences maybe ibori is under investigation? The fact is he has some interest to protect and also he is proud(with all his pronouncements "by the power confirmed on me" rubish). He's letter gave Ibori a clean bill, he claimed he is been investigated in Uk, why then should he interefere with such a letter without due consultation.

Andoakaa is a clog in the wheel of Justice, a sharp contrast to the rule of law he claims to uphold.
Yar'adua should sack him now before he wrecks more havoc. T

THE COUNSEL OF THE WICKED SHALL NOT STAND AGAINST NIGERIA
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 04, 2007
Na wa for all of una.

Yar'Adua sack him! Yar'Adua sack him! Yar'Adua sack him! Yar'Adua sack him! Yar'Adua sack him!

Why would Yar'adua sack him when he is acting out a mutually agreed script? This man is doing Yar'Adua's dirty work for him and you are all shouting that the president should sack him. So you all think he's acting independently??
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 12:45pm On Oct 04, 2007
You guys stop being emotional!

I don't care about Ibori. He could got to hell but damn 'rule of law' must be followed at all times

The answer provided by AGF is PERFECTLY correct!

1. Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has been charged to any court of law in Nigeria? NO

2. Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has  been tried and/or convicted by any court of law in Nigeria for any offence relating to money laundering? NO

3. was there a request for a freezing order emanating from my office(AGF) against your client(IBORI)? NO

So please lets open-eyes and think. Sometime criminals gets away if we don't prepare our case very well. So EFCC/Ribadu screwed up.

EFCC should have atleast charged him to court since May 29th. They did nothing and hoping the UK will just follow any nonsense.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by Mariory(m): 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2007
ziddy:

So you all think he's acting independently??

Why shouldn't we think he is acting independently?
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 12:50pm On Oct 04, 2007
@ Babasin who is being emotional here, please lets be clear in principles and throw away such nonsense talk.

Read Guardian

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article05

Intrigues behind Ibori's reprieve from UK court
From Tunde Oyedoyin, London
FORMER Delta State governor, Chief James Onanefe Ibori and his well-wishers have rolled out the drums over his recent legal victory at the Southwark Crown Court in the United Kingdom (UK), but reverberations from the court may yet drown the melody from the band-stand.

The Guardian learnt that the court's vacation order which came after the prosecutors had informed the court that they had no evidence against the former governor, may have been influenced by political considerations.

It was learnt that the Nigerian government in an attempt to avoid the international odium that attended the trial of former Bayelsa State governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha in the UK during the Olusegun Obasanjo administration, may have opted to tread slowly in the Ibori case.

Sources said that the Yar'Adua government even considered sending the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Kaase Aondoakaa, to the UK on Monday, to tell the court that the former Delta State governor was not under investigation in Nigeria.

A member of the legal team in the matter, who pleaded anonymity, told The Guardian: "Remember what happened two years ago when the Attorney-General came to witness against the then Bayelsa State governor, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha? That was what was about to happen. But the government was advised that the matter had not got to that stage, and that Ibori had not yet been charged."

The source added: "It was made known to the Nigerian government that if the AGF had come, it would have been a waste of time since Ibori was not being tried yet but only being investigated.

"When it was made clear to the government that it wasn't necessary for the AGF to come, they were still willing for him to show up and write a statement of support which he would have presented in court."

According to the source, "sometimes, public interest plays a part in making a judgment, this was what happened in this case. A political resolution was used to remove the restraint orders and thus settle the case."

A source, who was present at the court during the proceedings, continued: "You know, this is supposed to be a criminal case. The prosecution was expected to prove that the former governor's assets were illegitimately acquired, but it was the Federal Government of Nigeria that back-pedalled.

"The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) even was no longer forthcoming with evidence. So when the people who instigated the action are not forthcoming, what can you do?" he queried.

The source spoke further: "The government of your country didn't want anything to escalate the crisis in the Niger Delta and other issues," hence, the EFCC, according to him, therefore for undisclosed reasons "was no longer keen on providing any more evidence to the investigators."
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2007
The issue is clear, Why a letter from the AG, you are analysing the contents letter. Is it the job of the AG to write a letter of clean bill on a suspect who is supposed to be under investigation by another arm of government and which the AG is supposed to be working with.

Mr. Babasin you are entiltled to your opinion but please don't abuse our intelligence again with such emotional talk nonsense. We are looking at the principles behind the action of the AG, who is a PUBLIC SERVANT, incase you forget that. 

Evn when Bill CLinton and Tony Blair were been investigated, their AG's would never think of doing such a thing as sending a document giving them a clean bill because it will clearly obstruct justice.

Yes criminals can get away when a case is not presented properly, but when those who are to prepare the case are the ones making sure that the case is not presented well? What next. The office of the AG is being abused and you say it is the EFCC that is not presenting a case, is it the EFCC that wrote a letter to the court??
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2007
The office of the AG is being abused and you say it is the EFCC that is not presenting a case, is it the EFCC that wrote a letter to the court??

You still not getting it!!!!

Ibori lawyer, a foreigner, ask the AGF what is the legal situation of Ibori in Nigeria. This is correct procedure!

AGF provided the true facts simple as it is in Nigeria.

Provide YES to below and I would be the first to call for AGF head:

1. Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has been charged to any court of law in Nigeria? NO

2. Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has been tried and/or convicted by any court of law in Nigeria for any offence relating to money laundering? NO

3. was there a request for a freezing order emanating from my office(AGF) against your client(IBORI)? NO
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by McKren(m): 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2007
Babasin the lawyer please kindly react to my earlier comment where I suggested the AGF is being economical with the truth.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2007
So it is the office of the AG, that provides the legal situation of an individual in a country, i wonder the role of the Director of Public Prosecution and the role of the police and the EFCC who is supposed to be in charge of the case.

Sir, it is wrong procedure to ask the AG for the legal situation, the police and the EFCC can provide that, they are arms of government.

The issue again is that he is abusing the office, getting involved in such issues, his personal interest is conflicting with the office, this is law and theres no room for naivety. He was been economical with the truth, Ibori is still been investigated by the EFCC, which was erroneously absent in the letter he ought not to write in the first place and as someone has clearly pointed out to you, he erred in the letter by window dressing the truth.

Perhaps you don't know, whether he has been convicted tried or not is not the issue the court was considering, the court was trying to ascertain circumstances, if he has been a subject of investigations and cases are pending against him due to lack of evidence in his home country, that would have helped the learned judge to consider extending the freeze of the assets, until further evidence was obtained. The AG knew the implication of the letter and the wordings, you think the forign lawyer is a fool.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by saintchux(m): 1:56pm On Oct 04, 2007
babasin:

You guys stop being emotional!

I don't care about Ibori. He could got to hell but damn 'rule of law' must be followed at all times

The answer provided by AGF is PERFECTLY correct!

2. Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has  been tried and/or convicted by any court of law in Nigeria for any offence relating to money laundering? NO

So please lets open-eyes and think. Sometime criminals gets away if we don't prepare our case very well. So EFCC/Ribadu screwed up.

EFCC should have atleast charged him to court since May 29th. They did nothing and hoping the UK will just follow any nonsense.

Noted
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 2:06pm On Oct 04, 2007
@away4real
Sir, it is wrong procedure to ask the AG for the legal situation, the police and the EFCC can provide that, they are arms of government.

are you real at all!!

AGF is the head of ALL LEGAL MATTERS in Nigeria.  

If a foreigner needs any legal info, they go to AGF, AGF will direct responsible dept to provide him such update/info.

Ibori foregn lawyer followed correct procedure and AGF replied with true FACTS on ground.

@McKren
Why did he use different phrases as investigation while in office but not charged to court while out of office. Why did he not state that he is still under investigation.

This is correct statement: Ibori was investigated while in Office. It is EFCC the investigating body should have charged him.
If they had someone obstructing at that time; they should have alerted the AGF.
As at the moment AGF wrote that letter. Ibori remains not charged to any law-court in Nigeria. EFCC can't ague that. Nobody can. It is true FACTS.

This is different from days of OBJ, when rule of law are not followed; when 8 out of 20 house-members will impeach a governor.

I know now, Nigerians need to adjust to living under 'rule of law'
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by McKren(m): 2:12pm On Oct 04, 2007
I find it amusing when people talk about rule of law they hardly understand

Ibori was investigated while in office = Ibori is no longer investigated now that he is out of office.

Why did the letter not state that he is still under investigation?

That is the issue not rule of law or not
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by away4real(m): 2:18pm On Oct 04, 2007
@ Mcren, thank you it is such warp thinking of Babasin that makes the govt think everyone is a fool. In a bid to sound differennt for the sake of it, some people throw away principles guiding and surrounding issues.

Please can you show us in the nigerian constitution where it is the AG that has the responsibility of answering such a question, being the head of a legal matter or chief law officer of a country does not give anyone the right to unduly influence a judicial process, that is abuse of office. If a request was made to him, so he cannot delegate the necessary department to answer it. It has to be him. A foreign lawyer is making a rubbish out os such an office, where in the world du u see the Number 1 law officer writing such letters.

babasin:

I know now, Nigerians need to adjust to living under 'rule of law'

Mr. Babasin you are definately the first Nigerian that needs to adjust to living "under the rule of law". Since thats the new "government magic".

Ibori is still been investigated, the case is not closed.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by BigB11(m): 2:46pm On Oct 04, 2007
@topic
If the president knows what is good, he should sack this man, this man is not worthy of such an office.

You guys continue to miss the point.

Ibori was a major factor and one of the main reasons why Yar'Adua is our president today. You will be wasting your time if you continue to blame this man (AGF) for doing what was designed for him.
Infact, when you see the AGF, you are also seeing Yar'Adua and OBJ at the same time.
The situation is messy and insuppressible; hence at this point, the duty of the AGF is to settle things down with the instructions coming from the major big wigs of the country.

Fact: Too many are too corrupt for too long!
To completely and effectively eradicate corruption in Nigeria, you have to set the entire country on fire. As we all know, this is not feasible. Therefore, a strategy to calm things down and also to send a strict message (zero tolerance of corruption) to current government officials must be introduced; And this is where the AGF duty comes in.

EFCC will remain what they are; pussy cat and a political harlot. Why? If EFCC had done what is right many years ago, war against corruption would have been a lot more effective in Nigeria today.

Don't blame the AGF, he's only doing what is designed for him; instead, blame OBJ and EFCC for their pure selectivity propaganda operations.

You haven't seen anything yet, there are many more to come.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by BigB11(m): 3:04pm On Oct 04, 2007
What you don't know:

The atrocious manners of many of these governors are directly linked to OBJ. This is also one of the main reasons why some of these dirty governors have not been touched or mentioned.
And EFCC is well aware of this issue, but no, their main focus is on KALU.

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone corruption under any circumstances and definitely not a KALU's mainstay, but if our goal is to eradicate corruption in Nigeria, then let's carry out the operation to the utmost capacity.

No need to settle for less; it is either you come correct or you get deported.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2007
Big B1:

@topic
You guys continue to miss the point.

Ibori was a major factor and one of the main reasons why Yar'Adua is our president today. You will be wasting your time if you continue to blame this man (AGF) for doing what was designed for him.
Infact, when you see the AGF, you are also seeing Yar'Adua and OBJ at the same time.
The situation is messy and insuppressible; hence at this point, the duty of the AGF is to settle things down with the instructions coming from the major big wigs of the country.

To completely and effectively eradicate corruption in Nigeria, you have to set the entire country on fire. As we all know, this is not feasible. Therefore, a strategy to calm things down and also to send a strict message (zero tolerance of corruption) to current government officials must be introduced; And this is where the AGF duty comes in.

EFCC will remain what they are; pussy cat and a political harlot. Why? If EFCC had done what is right many years ago, war against corruption would have been a lot effective in Nigeria today.

Don't blame the AGF, he's only doing what is designed for him; instead, blame OBJ and EFCC for their pure selectivity propaganda operations.

You haven't seen anything yet, there are many more to come.

thank you very much BigB1. Its a relief to have someone comment so intelligently on this AGF palaver. People have been propounding all sorts of stupefyingly naive arguments since this matter came up on Nairaland.

Big B1:

@topic
To completely and effectively eradicate corruption in Nigeria, you have to set the entire country on fire.You haven't seen anything yet, there are many more to come.

This concisely sums up the totality of the Nigerian experience from 1960 till date.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 3:53pm On Oct 04, 2007
@mcKren
Ibori was investigated while in office = Ibori is no longer investigated now that he is out of office.

You sure don't understand the LAW.

You answer question thats asked of you.

Not summarise your answer or color it with your judgement. Ibori's lawyer did not ask AGF what he thinks but what is fact on ground:

1. has Ibori been convicted of any crime in Nigeria?

2. has Ibori been charged to any court-of-law in Nigeria about money-laudering?

3. has AGF office asked any court of law to seize Ibori property in Nigeria?

Nobody can dispute the answer to these as NO

It is left for British Police/EFCC to ask AGF there own questions: It is called cross-examine.

Disclaimer: I dont support crime in any form but I will stand by 'rule of law'. It is Ibori today, it may be you tomorrow.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by McKren(m): 3:54pm On Oct 04, 2007
How about

Is Ibori still under investigation?

What is the answer to that one
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 3:57pm On Oct 04, 2007
Is Ibori still under investigation?

I dont know. I am not EFCC nor AGF.

British Police/EFCC should ask AGF.

Once AGF gives his answer.

We can comment and also hear what the British Judge will say if its relevant to case at hand; property seizure.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by osereka(m): 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2007
IN LAW,
A GOOD LAWYER LOOK FOR TECHNICALITIES AND LAPSES IN A BAD CASE
AND USE IT TO HIS ADVANTAGE

and we should all remember that the babilon law is not the law of GOD.
that is why it is called the LAW OF EVIDENCE
EFCC CAN PACK ALLIGATION UPON ALLIGATION, IF NO EVIDENCE, IBORI HAS NO CASE TO ANSWER
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by McKren(m): 4:06pm On Oct 04, 2007
British Police did ask the AGF, their letter was never replied

Rather the AGF wrote EFCC to react to British police, it is on record that the AGF's letter to EFCC got to EFCC 24hrs after the court sitting in London while it took our "JUSTICE MINISTER" 3 days to reply to Ibori's counsel in London.

It is also on record that a delegation from the Met Police approached our Justice Minister twice but got no tangible answer from him while he made a decisive letter availble to Ibori's counsel.

If you are arguing like BigB1 that the AGF is following the Job description given by his boss Yaradua, that will be honest and I will accept that. But trying to justify this hypocrisy in the name of rule of law is simply funny.
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by BigB11(m): 4:11pm On Oct 04, 2007
IN LAW,
A GOOD LAWYER LOOK FOR TECHNICALITIES AND LAPSES IN A BAD CASE
AND USE IT TO HIS ADVANTAGE
and we should all remember that the babilon law is not the law of GOD.
that is why it is called the LAW OF EVIDENCE
EFCC CAN PACK ALLEGATION UPON ALLEGATION, IF NO EVIDENCE, IBORI HAS NO CASE TO ANSWER

Excellent point!
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by osereka(m): 4:15pm On Oct 04, 2007
thank you o jare grin
i think i should change my proffession
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by Jakoko(m): 4:29pm On Oct 04, 2007
This case is very clear to the blind and audible to the deaf. There is no need to hairsplit legally, the AGF was doing Ibori's bidding. Where is our sense of outrage, why are we always bound by the "Stockholm Syndrome" why must we feel compelled to defend our oppressors. For those, who read Saharareporters regularly, these facts have been laid out long before a copy of the letter was obtained and posted on the saharareporters library.
Ibori as a fugitive was meeting with Yar'adua in New York during the UN General Assembly. He was designated as a member of the Nigerian Delegation to the UN General Assembly and given a pass which he also presented before the Judge in the London case.
The AGF, with his shady letter, merely told the court in plain language that IBori did not steal or enrich himself corruptly from the Nigeria. Since the London Police prosecutors had based their prayers on that argument, the case just fell apart as soon as Ibori lawyers were able to prove that the home country had no qualms with their intended target. It was as simple as that!
Get your copy of the letter at:
http://saharareporters.com/www/elibrary/detail/?id=111

Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by osereka(m): 4:39pm On Oct 04, 2007
I dont read gossips
just as I dont watch nonesence
question has any court of law find Ibori guilty?
answer: NO

IN EVERY CIVILISED SOCIETY, WE MUST RESPECT THE RULE OF LAW
Re: Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free by babasin(m): 4:45pm On Oct 04, 2007
@mcKren,
British Police did ask the AGF, their letter was never replied

I dont know about this if this true; so why did British judge gave judgement?

They would adjour till AGF reply back to the BP. And if AGF do not reply BP but reply Ibori's lawyer; then that reply cannot stand.

AGF has duty to reply both side.   Rather blame British Judge.

Ibori as a fugitive was meeting with Yar'adua in New York during the UN General Assembly

Ibori as any other Nigeria is free to travel. He has no criminal record and can associate with anyone.

We should stop emotion and really use 'rule of law' to catch these roques. You keep calling them criminal but they have no 'crimal records'

there is IBB, OBJ, Anneh etc. legally they are as clean as saints.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Non-performing Govs Will Not Be Given A Second Term - PDP / Jonathan Needs A Reputation Manager / How Jonathan & Alhaji Bamanga Tukur Foiled Atiku's 2015 Presidential Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.