Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,911 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? (13614 Views)

A Nigerian Died Because A Racist Malaysian Hospital Refused Him Treatment(Video) / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 1:13pm On Dec 28, 2011
Strange this one! Why on earth does British Airways refuse processing Credit/Debit Card payment when the intending traveller indicates that S/He is a Nigerian?

Regardless of whether the card was issued in UK, US or in Nigeria, or that your place of residence as indicated on the card is out side of Nigeria, once you attempt to book  your  flight online and you are asked your nationality, indicating that you are a Nigerian, and you will be declined further preocessing and  asked to go pay at the nearest travel agent with CASH!

N:B, I  do not use BA but this happened to a colleague who by the way is British with Nigerian nationality.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by biolabee(m): 1:16pm On Dec 28, 2011
strange ,, they accept luggage payments with my VISA card
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by denzel2009: 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2011
Some bad Nigerians have wounded them badly that is why.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 1:26pm On Dec 28, 2011
biolabee:

strange ,,  they accept luggage payments with my VISA card
But booking flight with your C/D card, you get to the stage where they ask you your nationality, and you get the feedback, sorry we do not accept card payments from travelers from Nigeria.

I thought it was a one off server side error, but on my journey back to the UK, I also met someone else who complained of the same experience!

When did you use your card to make the payment?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 1:27pm On Dec 28, 2011
denzel2009:

Some bad Nigerians have wounded them badly that is why.
That was my first thought, but if your card issuer is based in the US, or UK you sure bet that fleecing a company like BA with a dodgy CC or DB would send you down the spiral fall of Brixton prisons!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by denzel2009: 1:35pm On Dec 28, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

That was my first taught, but if your card issuer is based in the US, or UK you sure bet that fleecing a company like BA with a dodgy CC or DB would send you down the spiral fall of Brixton prisons!
Lol, you don't get it!

Naija boys use other people's cards to buy one way trips to and from Naija. They do one way using different cards cos they know they can be caught when coming back using the same card. Moreso, it's about the timing, they carefully plan it knowing that the owner might not notice or report in the space of 2 weeks.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2011
denzel2009:

Lol, you don't get it!

Naija boys use other people's cards to buy one way trips to and from Naija. They do one way using different cards cos they know they can be caught when coming back using the same card. Moreso, it's about the timing, they carefully plan it knowing that the owner might not notice or report in the space of 2 weeks.

Okay, not sure about this, but I would have thought the Advanced Passenger Information processing system in place would mean using a different name to purchase your flight and checking in with a different name on your passport would catch you out?

Yes , I know someone can help pay for your flight, but then how would they get your CC or DB security code to pay for the flight?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Vicjustice: 2:00pm On Dec 28, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Strange this one! Why on earth does British Airways refuse processing Credit/Debit Card payment when the intending traveller indicates that S/He is a Nigerian?

Regardless of whether the card was issued in UK, US or in Nigeria, or that your place of residence as indicated on the card is out side of Nigeria, once you attempt to book  your  flight online and you are asked your nationality, indicating that you are a Nigerian, and you will be declined further preocessing and  asked to go pay at the nearest travel agent with CASH!

N:B, I  do not use BA but this happened to a colleague who by the way is British with Nigerian nationality.

Absolutely wrong, they accept Credit Cards by/from Nigerians, but they may not accept it if it is associated with Nigeria. The problem is not with the Nigerians as a people, but with Nigeria as a country; and yet, the people are to blame for the ill reputation of the country.
   Point of correction: It's not a "Racist Attitude", it is a just course to protect themselves from Nigerian scammers. Not just the BA, most international company do not accept Credit Cards associated with Nigeria. I like that kiss
www.babefishing.com, the ideal Nigerian free dating site. Click now: www.babefishing.com

2 Likes

Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by OmoTier1(m): 2:36pm On Dec 28, 2011
Vicjustice:

Absolutely wrong, they accept Credit Cards by/from Nigerians, but they may not accept it if it is associated with Nigeria. The problem is not with the Nigerians as a people, but with Nigeria as a country; and yet, the people are to blame for the ill reputation of the country.
   Point of correction: It's not a "Rasist Attitude", it is a just course to protect themselves from Nigerian scammers. Not just the BA, most international company do not accept Credit Cards associated with Nigeria. I like that kiss
Agree with your submission, but why not attempt booking a flight on BA online and get to the stage where you have to choose your nationality and see if they would allow you to proceed if your choice is "Nigeria" under nationality.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Bossman(m): 3:59pm On Dec 28, 2011
This is very true. They used to accept it up until 3 years ago or so. I am just surprised they still do this crap! A friend of mine (US Citizen using US issued CC, but also carrying Nigerian passport) got his booking, but had to go to BA counter at O'Hare airport to make the payment and get confirmation. Unfortunately, we, the innocent, are paying for the wrong that a few scumbags from our country have done.

This is not an issue with any of the other airlines though, or if booking a BA flight via any of the third parties, such as Orbitz, Expedia, etc.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by DisGuy: 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2011
Thought KLM had the same policy last year not sure if it's still the same now
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by claremont(m): 9:53pm On Dec 28, 2011
I don't see why we should bother ourselves about the perceived attitude of BA towards Nigerians. If BA, as a matter of corporate policy, chooses not to accept debit cards/credit cards from Nigerians, then simply book a flight with another airline.
As far as I am concerned, it is not a racist decision, but a rather cautious one considering the bad image of Nigeria as far as credit/debit card fraud is concerned; and they are perfectly entitled to make these kind of decisions to preserve the integrity of their business model.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by princeonx: 4:31am On Dec 29, 2011
It's all our own fault! The bad apples are the ones causing us this problem and I don't blame or have anything against anybody or company that won't accept other method of payment but cash from Nigerians. It's also the same with most DHL offices here! Cash only if your mail/package is addressed to Nigeria.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by llbhuds: 5:24am On Dec 29, 2011
just tried booking a flight on BA and i wasn't asked of my nationality.
most times when you study d decisions of some western countries, honestly you wont blame them considering the different ways we naija had really brutalized their economy
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Kx: 9:57am On Dec 29, 2011
claremont:

I don't see why we should bother ourselves about the perceived attitude of BA towards Nigerians. If BA, as a matter of corporate policy, chooses not to accept debit cards/credit cards from Nigerians, then simply book a flight with another airline.
As far as I am concerned, it is not a racist decision, but a rather cautious one considering the bad image of Nigeria as far as credit/debit card fraud is concerned; and they are perfectly entitled to make these kind of decisions to preserve the integrity of their business model.

Exactly
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by babyboy3(m): 10:20am On Dec 29, 2011
Agree with your submission, but why not attempt booking a flight on BA online and get to the stage where you have to choose your nationality and see if they would allow you to proceed if your choice is "Nigeria" under nationality.

You mean Billing Address?
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by obowunmi(m): 10:25am On Dec 29, 2011
angry angry angry angry
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 29, 2011
I don't use BA though. But only if you know the damage yahoo boys and politians are have done to the Nigeria economy, then you won't blame BA. Have you been to the Bank to make international transfer to Nigeria? You would notice the bank staff become uncomfortable due to the fact that Nigeria is a high risk country. I work in the financial services and anytime we have a corrupt regime, anti money laundering, bribery and corruption refresher course, the prime example they always use is the Nigeria economy.e.g siemens, Halliburton, ibori, dariye, tafa, nigerian scam email e.t.c very embarrasing.

Now with the bombing, they would start thinking anybody doing business with Nigeria is financing terrorism.
If BA won't accept your card, try another airline, all companies have policies and how they do business, its not racism. Have you wondered why so many british coy wont enter the Nigerian market yet they do business with Ghana? why its difficult for a Nigerian unlike a Ghanaian to book holiday to places like tenerife e.t.c from a travel agent like thomas cook? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by anonimi: 10:31am On Dec 29, 2011
That is how the bad behaviour of our neighbours affect our own lives.
Hence we should be vigilant and report ANYONE including our relations whose source of money is suspicious and also distance ourselves from such persons rather than adoring, honoring and seeking to also get our own share of their "smart" money.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by DrKnow1(m): 11:23am On Dec 29, 2011
This should have been the sort of problems those trying to re-brand Nigeria should have dealt with. They should have made it clear that generalizing and stereotyping the whole nation for the evil deeds of some few individuals is not acceptable. At least these foreign companies are still making millions from their operations to and from Nigeria, and these are from hard working, honest Nigerians.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by MrLonny: 12:27pm On Dec 29, 2011
Your BA grade will depend entirely on the work you do in your final year.

Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Guk: 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2011
There is no point in making a mountain out of a molehill. Its simply a precautionary measure and its not restricted to BA alone.

A few days ago, i tried to pay for the purchase of a software in India using a Barclays Debit card but becos i put Nigeria as the location where the software will be used, it gave me this message: "Due to legal restrictions, we cannot accept registrations from residents of nigeria"

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

Pakistanis experience same worldwide too
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2011
the legacy of those yahoo yahoo boys some us of celebrate for reparations
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by denzel2009: 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2011
Mr Lonny:

Your BA grade will depend entirely on the work you do in your final year.

Effect of drinking squaddy early in the morning. lipsrsealed
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Princek12(m): 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2011
It shows that the problem with Nigeria is her people.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:02pm On Dec 29, 2011
Princek12:

It shows that the problem with Nigeria is her people.
add her leaders (religious and political)
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by BabaO2: 1:04pm On Dec 29, 2011
Good stuff from BA. Why deceiving ourselves, more than 80% Nigerians dont have good intention home and abroad, even in Nigeria, one lane driving they turn it to five lanes, thereby create unnecessary bottle neck and ground free flowing traffic. Anything Nigerians are participating sooner or later will be grounded
Not until spiritual leaders declare fasting and prayer for absolute cleansing of Nigeria, and all these people having mindset of wrong smartness should have a change of heart.
Judiciary should not be be sanctuary for criminals. Death penalty should be reintroduced. Robbery by killing should automatically get death sentence, etc.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by coogar: 1:15pm On Dec 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

they do not accept card payments if the destination is to/fro nigeria.
if a british citizen or an american citizen is going to nigeria with b-a, they would not accept card payment from him.
it's not about racism or whatever - it's about the yahoo boys who have defrauded their system.
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by dayorx(m): 2:02pm On Dec 29, 2011
why do people always come on this forum to talk trash, i just tried to book a flight on BA now and all the said was to bring the card used to purchase the ticket to the airport to check in, as far as i know KLM does the same, even if u book train tickets u go to the train station to print the ticket with the credit or debit card u used to purchase the ticket online, abeg make the person wey talk dis rubbish park well jo!!
people should stop yarning rubbish and who said thomas cook wont book u a holiday if uve got ur cash and the correct visa to come back to the uk ,,,abeg jo
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by yomickey(m): 2:05pm On Dec 29, 2011
My experience is that if the name on the card is different from the name on the passport or the name of the person travelling, then the payment will not be allowed.

This has happened to me before when I tried to help someone pay for her flight to Nigeria but I have used my card to pay for myself for my last trip and it went through without problems.

Guess the name Nigeria and some dodgy Nigerians have brought them too much stress!!!
Re: BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? by Wallie(m): 2:41pm On Dec 29, 2011
When a scammer successfully uses a credit card to purchase a product or service, and the original owner of the credit card finds out, the charges will be rescinded. This means that the credit card issuing company (Visa) will get the money back from the scammed company whether they like it or not, and credit back the credit card (chargeback).

If a company is getting a lot of chargeback from a particular place or country, why not blacklist the country to minimize your losses? Same reason why PayPal is not accepted in Nigeria.

Life is a zero sum game and there’s no free lunch anywhere! Somebody ends up paying for every successful fraud. In this case, the maga is Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Geoffrey Onyeama: US May Lift Travel Ban In One Month / LASTMA Announces Diversions & Road Closures For Buhari's Visit To Lagos / Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.