Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (63844 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 12:53am On Dec 29, 2011
Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (wine carrying), Ibu Nkwu Nwanyi or Ihe Nrisa is the climax of marriage in Igbo culture. It is the traditional wedding ceremony. That day, kindreds (Ikwu na ibe) of both families, friends, well-wishers, would officially know that the girl has been given out in marriage; that day, people officially know the husband of the girl. It is on that day that the young is officially handed over to her husband, It is on that day that the two become husband and wife traditionally. That day, her colleagues who are yet to get married, would assemble with their music to entertain and to send her off.

Ndigbo, come and show to the world the rich cultural heritage of our people through Igba Nkwu Nwanyi.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:02am On Dec 29, 2011
The day is full of merriment. At different places and various times, the son-in-law provides all the drinks-pots of palm wine, carton's of beer, crates of soft drinks, bottles of hot drinks, tobacco etc. The father-in-law provides the food.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:05am On Dec 29, 2011
Bride displaying at her Igba Nkwu.

1 Like

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:22am On Dec 29, 2011
Igba Nkwu Nwanyi displays Igbo culture and meanings to the fullest. There are so many aspects of it. How about that special pot for pouring libation, to pray for good things that the newly married couple wish themselves; to pray for good luck, fruits of of the womb (children), long life, happy married life and prosperity. This aspect is usually done by the father of the bride or any elder from the bride's family or kindred. My most favourite.
The traditional Igbo religion believes in re-incarnation, it also believes that the dead are alive in the spirit world. That is why the Fathers and Elders invoke them to intercede in their supplication to God almighty.
If you attend an Igba Nkwu, and you have not witnessed this aspect, do not go yet. There are other interesting aspects. Ndigbo, show to the world.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:25am On Dec 29, 2011
Bride and groom at Igba Nkwu ceremony.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:50am On Dec 29, 2011
One fundamental principle in Igbo marriage is reflected in the saying ''anaghi alusi nwanyi alusi'', and that literally translated means, that the worth of a woman cannot be quantified in material terms.
As such, one does not in practice pay the full bride and whatever that is done with regard to the bride price, is symbolic.

1 Share

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by Relax101(m): 1:53am On Dec 29, 2011
Hahaha, some people go bring wahala about those beads wey the girl wear.
Andre uweh, You go home for christmas?
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:54am On Dec 29, 2011
The bride is often accompanied by her colleagues who are not yet married-Umu ASHEBI.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:58am On Dec 29, 2011
Relax101:

Hahaha, some people go bring wahala about those beads wey the girl wear.
Andre uweh, You go home for christmas?
Nwannemmadu, no wahala, Igbo culture is not static. Our neighbours have borrowed from us and we have borrowed from them as well.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by Nobody: 2:11am On Dec 29, 2011
Do you know what this material is called? wink

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by tpia5: 2:15am On Dec 29, 2011
^is that girl on the left, half yoruba?
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by odumchi: 2:19am On Dec 29, 2011
@ Stillwater

Isn't that Akwaete?
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by Nobody: 2:21am On Dec 29, 2011
@tpia

Don't know. Just found it on the web. It's an Igbo wedding though.

odumchi:

@ Stillwater

Isn't that Akwaete?

Lol, just wanna know what it is called. I don't know what it is, but I see it all the time. wink
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by odumchi: 2:32am On Dec 29, 2011
@ Stillwater
Oh ok lol.

@ Andre
Wine carrying ceremonies are very interesting. Although I havent physically been to one, Ive watched them alot. Its a very lively and powerful ceremony and I find it interesting that wine plays such a paramount role in Igbo culture since once that wine is sipped by the husband, the couple is officially married.

Anyway, here are some photos I contribute.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:52am On Dec 29, 2011
stillwater:

Do you know what this material is called? wink
odumchi:

@ Stillwater
Isn't that Akwaete?

It's Akwuete, actually, and Akwuete is not the actual name. Akwuete is just one of the communities that produce "Akwuete cloth". As for the picture above, to the best of my knowledge, that is not Akwuete. It's George. But, I'm not an expert in the textile/weaving industry, so don't go around quoting me on it.

1 Like

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by tpia5: 4:43am On Dec 29, 2011
@tpia

Don't know. Just found it on the web. It's an Igbo wedding though.

i thought she was this yoruba girl i know, whose mum is igbo.

some of the photos on nl have resemblances to actual people.

i saw another one the other day that looked like another half and half friend of mine from a different part of nigeria.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by ifyalways(f): 6:10am On Dec 29, 2011
I am a sucker for traditional weddings! Love it. Yet to understand the rhyme or reason a couple would need to wear white and go swear oaths before men and . . . Funny thing is that the white wedding ish have no biblical history or roots.

Anyways, dede Andrew ole nke bu umu ashebi?is that an igbo word or culture?ndi enyi bride should be appropriate.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by ifyalways(f): 6:24am On Dec 29, 2011
Worthy of note is the fact that iju ase or inyo uno (making enquiries) precedes igba nkwu.

That is when family and close knits of intending couple would go undercover to find out if things like epilepsy, madness, downs syndrome, kleptomania and even divorce(lol) is a recurring decimal in the others family. Sadly, it seems this aspect of marriage ie iju ase is mostly done by the grooms family. The brides family does not participate deeply in this, they are more like comfortable as recipients of the the grooms family searchlights.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by OneNaira6: 11:51am On Dec 29, 2011
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2011
Ibu ego and Igbankwu nwanyi is always a very colorful and exiting times where I came from; brb.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:21pm On Dec 29, 2011
ifyalways:

I am a sucker for traditional weddings! Love it. Yet to understand the rhyme or reason a couple would need to wear white and go swear oaths before men and . . . Funny thing is that the white wedding ish have no biblical history or roots.

Anyways, dede Andrew ole nke bu umu ashebi?is that an igbo word or culture?ndi enyi bride should be appropriate.
Ifymgbeobula, thanks for bringing this issue up. Ashebi is not an Igbo word probably Yoruba, but has been copied into Igbo language, like I said earlier, Igbo culture is not stagnant.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2011
Here, the father blesses the couple.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 1:27pm On Dec 29, 2011
Igba Nkwu Nwanyi.
The kindred plays an active part in Igbo trad marriage. When you are marrying an Igbo lady, the items in the list collected before the d-day is shared between the kindred. An aspect of Igbo culture.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 3:27pm On Dec 29, 2011
Varieties to eat and drink at Igba Nkwu Nwanyi.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by HighChief4(m): 5:50pm On Dec 29, 2011
This is nice. I love Igba Nkwu like I love food cheesy cheesy
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 6:23pm On Dec 29, 2011
High_Chief:

This is nice. I love Igba Nkwu like I love food cheesy cheesy
Word.
When is yours coming up?.
Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by HighChief4(m): 10:52pm On Dec 29, 2011
^^^Nwanne okwesiri ibu na afo a na abia, mana nwanyi mu na ya na akwodobe inu mere aru. Mu na ya kwesiri ije Nigeria na emume xmas a, mana obum uzo were jebe. Mgbe olatara Nigeria, umunwannem ejide ya na nwoke ozo na ulo oriri na onunu(hotel). Nke a mere na Izu uka gara aga, anom na obi mgbawa ugbua. Mana Chukwu bu eze.

1 Like

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 11:01pm On Dec 29, 2011
High_Chief:

^^^Nwanne okwesiri ibu na afo a na abia, mana nwanyi mu na ya na akwodobe inu mere aru. Mu na ya kwesiri ije Nigeria na emume xmas a, mana obum uzo were jebe. Mgbe olatara Nigeria, umunwannem ejide ya na nwoke ozo na ulo oriri na onunu(hotel). Nke a mere na Izu uka gara aga, anom na obi mgbawa ugbua. Mana Chukwu bu eze.
Ndo nwanne, nkea putara na nwanyi aha abugi nke gi. Onye nwe anyi ga ezitere gi nke gi.

1 Like

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 11:05pm On Dec 29, 2011
Igba Nkwu Nwanyi is an opportunity for barchelors to find future marriage partners. It works.

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by HighChief4(m): 11:15pm On Dec 29, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Ndo nwanne, nkea putara na nwanyi aha abugi nke gi. Onye nwe anyi ga ezitere gi nke gi.

Daalu nwannem nwoke. Ndi obodo unu ana eme emume ana akpo "bia mara be". Oge a ka ndi be nke nwanyi ji eje amara ebe ana alu nwa ha nwanyi.

1 Like

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by AndreUweh(m): 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2011
High_Chief:

Daalu nwannem nwoke. Ndi obodo unu ana eme emume ana akpo "bia mara be". Oge a ka ndi be nke nwanyi ji eje amara ebe ana alu nwa ha nwanyi.
Anyi na eme ya. Mana emume ka cha si emume alum di na nwunye bu trado wedding. Ndi Obodo anyi na akpo ya Ihe Nrisa. A lot of ladies from my part of Igboland will choose Igba Nkwu ahead of church or court wedding. Eziokwu.

1 Like

Re: Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) by HighChief4(m): 12:22am On Dec 30, 2011
^^^Same thing in my place, gals always look forward to their Igba Nkwu, its a very big celebration. The thing is that the Husband of the bride will not be recognised as inlaw till the Igba Nkwu is done, so if you like go and cohabitat with the woman and have kids, nobody will see or regard you as inlaw till you do Igba Nkwu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks / Estako Names And Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.