Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Continue The (Lola) Story - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Continue The (Lola) Story (44589 Views)

Lola Shoneyin Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! / Writing Game:- Continue The Story; 5 Sentences / Continue The Story (Umuata) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Stella (a.k.a Iya Samuel), the fancy new saloon's proprietress had taken Amaka's coat and handbag and passed them onto one of her assistants, to store away in the cloak room. As she led her to one of the swanky glass cubicles to get her hair washed, Amaka just couldn't help noticing the posh setup. She could feel her feet sinking into the rich depths of the lush new navy blue carpets, which seemed to envelop her ankles as well. The leather black chair at the washbasin was comfortably firm, upright and smelt of new leather. As she leaned back onto the plushness of the leather chair, she couldn't help but admire how cleverly the modern, interior lightening on the ceiling above, cast gentle shades of warm yellow, red and orange glows that twinkled intermittently around her. She sighed in pleasure as she leaned further back in the chair, enjoying how it seemed to envelop her in its cushiness, while Stella adjusted the footrest and fussed around her.

Unlike most saloons she had been too, which reeked of different hair sprays, the air about this one definitely smelt different. She felt her aching muscles relax, as she inhaled the scent of Jasmine and Lavendar that floated around her, from the nearby decorations of pot-pourri that hung at the entrance of each glass cubicle.Gosh! This is so comfortable, I could really get used to this Amaka thought to herself, as she smiled in pure contentment. Looking about her, she noticed each cubicle also had golden stands of potted plants from which leafy, green ivy plants trailed teasingly out of. Some of the female customers chatted animatedly to their attendants while others seemed engrossed in the latest gossip and fashion magazines.

"Would you like something to read, while Halima here attends to you?" Stella asked in her soft, well cultured voice.

"Yes, please. Have you got the latest edition of the Hints magazine?" Amaka asked.

"We most certainly do!" Stella laughed gently. "That seems to be one of the most popularly demanded magazines here from our customers", she added "and I daresay, I understand why. I too never get tired of reading it".

"Me neither. I'm one of their biggest fans", Amaka couldn't help smiling. "Great stories and even greater writers".

Stella nodded in agreement. "Yes, they sure do know how to cater to their reading audience. Good use of suspense that keeps me waiting impatiently for the next edition."

"Okay, I'll leave you in the capable hands of my assistant, Halima. If you need anything else, just give me a shout", she said while handing the magazine to Amaka.

"You've taken care of everything but yes, I sure will if I need to", she responded. "And thanks for your help, Stella".

"You're most certainly welcome Amaka", she winked as she left the cubicle.

Halima, a young shy girl in her late teens, immaculately dressed in her uniform was very professional and very, very good at her work, Amaka discovered, as she quickly went through the phases of washing, shampooing, conditioning and steaming her hair. Although not much of a talker, she was certainly a good listener and very much in tune with Amaka's needs.

Forty-five minutes later, Amaka gazed in wonderment at the reflection that stared back at her. The transformation was amazing and she couldn't help grinning at the change.

"Madam is okay with the style?" Halima asked.

"You bet! This is super. Fantastic job done Halima, well done", Amaka smiled back reassuringly at her.

"I'm glad you like it", Stella's voice came from behind her. "Halima's new but she's a quick and eager learner", she added whilst signalling for Halima to go fetch Amaka's coat and bag from the cloak room.

"She sure is", Amaka responded, taking her bag and coat from Halima. "I have to admit the service here is very good. Friendly atmosphere, professional and such quick service. I've even got fifteen minutes to spare", she added as she put on her coat. "And for those reasons, you do deserve a very good tip, Halima."

"Thank you ma'am", the young girl responded shyly while looking to her proprietress for approval. Stella nodded in agreement.

Suddenly, the smile on Amaka's face froze as she opened the contents of her bag. It was completely empty.

"Is everything okay?" Stella asked as she noticed the slight frown on Amaka's face.

"The entire contents of my bag are missing including my purse." She said looking up at Stella.

"Missing? How do you mean?" Stella asked incredulously.

"Just what I said, empty. Gone. Missing." Amaka responded as she upturned the bag and handed it to Stella, who stared at it in disbelief.

"Halima?" They asked in unison as they turned to the young girl, who was already fidgeting nervously.

"I don't know madam. I just went to fetch her bag from the cloak room as you asked" she replied bursting into tears. "I don't know anything about the missing purse or contents of madam's bag", she wailed.

"It's okay, Halima. There has to be a perfectly innocent explanation for this", Stella added.

"Amaka, are you sure this is your bag?" She asked.

Although trying to stay calm, Amaka could feel her hackles rising. "Yes, it is Stella. It's a brand new Dolce & Gabbana handbag with golden baroque tapestry design", She added stiffly. "Apart from my purse and smart phone which were in there, I also had my bank and store cards in there."

By this time, Halima was weeping inconsolably. "Madam I swear, I know nothing about this. You can search my person if you wish to. I've been at your side all the while you were here, attending to you..."

"It's okay Halima, nobody is accusing you of anything here. We're just trying to understand what happened. This is a real mystery and a very, very strange on too."

"Stella, how secure is your cloakroom and who has access to it?" Amaka asked her.

"Only my girls have access to it and it is monitored closely with CCTV cameras, and I can vouch for their honesty, especially Halima's", she responded. "But I think it's best if you both come with me to the security room at the back, so we can rewind the tapes to see exactly what happened", she added.

"Yes, I think so too" Amaka agreed, looking at her watch. So much for leaving early, she thought angrily to herself. She could also feel the eyes of the other customers on them and not being one for unnecessary attention, it made her feel all the more uncomfortable.

"Okay, then. Please follow me. I really do hope we can have this problem resolved otherwise, we'll just have to report the matter to the police for further investigation".

On hearing that, Halima burst into a fresh set of tears. "Madam, I didn't do it. I'm innocent. I'm the only daughter of my father, Sumonu the gatekeeper. How do I explain to him that I lost my job because of theft? A theft I know nothing about??" She wailed.

"Hold on. YOU'RE SUMONU'S DAUGHTER? Sumonu the gatekeeper of Little Angels School?" Amaka asked in disbelief

"Yes, ma" Halima nodded affirmatively, while trying to wipe off the tears from her cheeks. "My father was never too keen on me working in the city but I wanted to prove to him that I'm capable of looking after myself...and also capable of helping my family too..." She added. "How do I explain this shame to my family?" She asked, as she wept.

Amaka could feel her heart sink with despair. She had always liked and admired the way Sumonu held himself. Although he was just the school's gatekeeper / janitor, she had never met a man who held himself with such pride and dignity. That same pride and dignity which he seemed to have passed onto his daughter, Halima. This really was an unfortunate turn of events, she thought unhappily to herself.

"IYA Samuel!" A voice called from the doorway. They all turned towards it and saw a lady in her early fifties, ladden with shopping bags approach them.

"Iya Stella, I think there's been some mix up here", she continued. "I had my hair done here and left about thirty minutes ago. I think one of your girls gave me the wrong bag. This isn't mine", she added as she handed the bag to Stella.

"Mummy, are you sure about that?" Stella asked.

"Of course I am sure", the lady responded jovially. "I may be getting old, but I haven't lost use of my senses yet" she laughed. "I bought the exact same Dolce & Gabbana handbag as this good lady here for my daughter's birthday", she said pointing to Amaka. "I think that explains why it's empty. As you can see, it still has the price tag on it".

"Oh what a relief!" Amaka responded, as she gratefully accepted the bag from the lady.

"Please check the contents of the bag madam, to make sure nothing's missing", the lady added. Amaka opened it up and to her relief her purse, phone, bank and store cards were all intact, including the contents of her purse too.

"Yes, yes, it's fine. Everything's as it is and I do thank you madam", Amaka added.

"No need to thank me. I'm glad I noticed the difference sooner than later", the lady responded.

"Thank you mummy", Stella added. "You've been a great help".

"No worries" the lady responded smiling back at them all as she collected her bag from Amaka and left.

"Phew! What a day!" Stella added. "Amaka, I do apologize unreservedly for the mix up..."

"No, no, I apologize for the stress caused too", Amaka interrupted. "And Halima, please accept this as a token of my gratitude for the job you did for me too and my apologies for the confusion", she added as she handed a tip to Halima. "You are a good girl, very professional and I believe you would go far in life. You've got a very good, decent upbringing...testament to your parents".

"Thank you ma." Halima responded. "But madam, my tip is 10%. You've given me 50%. This is too much".

Amaka grinned at her. "Not at all girl, you deserve it and this is my little way of apologizing to you too."

"Thank you ma." She responded again, smiling gently as she walked back into the saloon.

"You do have a very good girl there, Stella. Be sure to keep her", Amaka added as she and Stella walked towards the exit door.

"I sure will Amaka. Thank you for your custom and be sure to come visit us soon again at Simply Divine", Stella added as they waved their goodbyes to each other.

The shrill beep from her oven timer jolted Amaka back to the present. She glanced briefly at the wall clock above her. 7:15pm. Not bad at all. Should be done in the next ten minutes, with a little over thirty minutes to spare. Enough time to take a quick shower and get dressed before the arrival of our guests at 8pm, she thought to herself.

She had prepared an assortment of different dishes for their guests: Jollof rice with fried chicken to be served with corned beef moi-moi, green peas, salad and deep fried crabs. She had also made some pounded yam with Egusi soup, Salmon, prawns and stock fish, as she had a sneaky feeling the male guests might want something "heavy" and "true African" as Uche fondly called their native foods.

Some peanuts, cashew nuts, light sandwiches and sticks of lightly peppered tomato and onion suya lay on the adjacent table covered with transparent cling film. Opening the refrigerator, she checked on drinks she had purchased earlier from the stores. A few bottles of chilled wine sat on ice buckets in the main compartment of the fridge. An assortment of non-alcoholic drinks - Orange, Apple and Pineapple juices were also ready and waiting on adjacent racks. A large glass bowl of pink punch which she got as an afterthought also sat on the kitchen worktable.

She opened the oven and checked on the temperature of her coconut cakes topped with single red cherries. Yes, they had turned out well. Coconut cakes or Hagen Daz Vanilla ice cream for dessert should do very nicely for those with the sweet tooth, she thought mischievously to herself.

Standing upright, she cast one final look around her kitchen and smiled in satisfaction to herself. Perfection at it's best, she said to herself as she took off her oven gloves and apron before going upstairs to ready herself for their visitors.

Back in the well fitted and spacious master bedroom, Amaka idly studied the endless array of designer clothes in her wardrobe, undecided on which to settle for. She had barley worn most of the clothes in there, and more than half of them still had their price tags attached to them. Sighing deeply, she absent mindedly rubbed her finger tips over her forehead. Sometimes, she wondered if Uche's over generosity was to make up for the lack of children in their marriage. Closing her eyes, she ran her fingers through the soft fabrics, enjoying the coolness against her skin. Money does not bring happiness but it certainly makes life more comfortable, she thought to herself.

What was it that Ngozi, Uche's sister had said to her the last time she and her husband came visiting? Yes ... marriage is like a race and every one in it tries to stay on the track, not only so they can run to the end, but also, to emerge as a winner. As it is now, you are almost off the track. Those words uttered six months ago had cut her deeply, more than Ngozi would ever know, she recalled painfully. Just remembering them brought tears to her eyes. She angrily brushed them away, determined not to let what happened in the past spoil the otherwise perfect evening she had worked so hard for. Ngozi's aloofness towards her had always baffled Amaka. She couldn't quite place her finger on why Ngozi disliked her so much, but what she did know, was that no matter what happened today, she would forget the past and be the perfect hostess.

Sighing once more, she selected a halter neck, short black number which she knew would cling to her softly in all the right places, accentuating her curves. She held up the dress by its hanger, as she twirled in front of the dressing mirror, with it pressed against her body. Yes, this should do very nicely, she thought to herself as she carefully laid the dress out on the super king-sized bed she and Uche shared. Wrapping her hair up in a soft towel, she headed for the shower humming quietly to herself.

Ten minutes later, a freshly scrubbed and relaxed Amaka stepped out of the shower. Wrapping her towelling robe about her, walked back into the room to find Uche sprawled nonchalantly on his back watching her. They smiled at each other as Amaka greeted him cheerfully.

"I almost thought you'd forgotten about coming home on time today."

"What? And miss that sumptuous meal down there? No way woman, you can't get rid of me that easily."

"Who says I want to get rid of you?" Amaka asked, smiling coyly at him as she walked towards him, standing between his parted legs.

Sitting up on the bed, Uche reached out an arm and pulled her down towards him. "I should hope not lady. Remember I've got my very special surprise for you under the sheets?" He teased, winking at her.

"Uche!" She half-heartedly admonished him. "We've got guests arriving shortly".

"Do you think it's possible to reschedule the dinner?" He asked, suddenly engrossed with untying the sash of her robe.

"What?" She asked in pretended shock. "And have me cook for an army in vain?" She responded, unsuccessfully trying to fight off his prying fingers. "I should think not good sir!"

With a low growl, Uche undid the fastening, slowly circling her waist with his arms, as he pulled her closer to him. Amaka could feel her legs go weak at the knees as she succumbed to the warmth of Uche's hands on her, pulling her ontop of him on the bed. Suddenly he rolled over, pinning her gently underneath him.

"Now, give me one good reason why I shouldn't ravish my delectable and beautiful wife right here, right now, madam?" He asked, as he playfully nibbled the back of her ears, brushing his face against hers. Amaka rubbed the side of her face on his, enjoying the feel of his day old stubble on her cheeks.

"Er, because...your sister would be here soon with her husband? And so would the Komolafe's?" She answered, placing her arms around his neck as she arched her body upwards towards him. His eyes darkened with passion as he stared longingly at his wife, enjoying the softness of her skin underneath his. With a low groan, he kissed her deeply on the lips before trying to pull himself away from her.

"Woman. You're such a temptress", he growled at her while trying to unclasp her arms from the back of his neck.

"Hmmm...temptress?" She asked smiled mischievously as she tightened her hold on him. "Ah, but even Adam enjoyed the temptation from Eve, don't you think?" She winked at him.

Uche threw back his head and laughed heartily. "Woman I must warn you not to play with fire. You'll get burned", he teased as he turned her on her side, playfully smacking her on her rump, before tickling her on her sides. Amaka broke into giggles.

"That's cheating Uche!" She laughed, as her hold on him loosed and he broke free and dashed towards the shower, ducking from the pillow she threw at him.

"I know, life's unfair darling", he called back dodging another pillow aimed at him.

Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by Ice4jez(m): 12:08am On Dec 11, 2012
advice for u still read dis thread .GO AND GET URSELF A COMPLETE NOVEL COS THIS STORY WILL NEVER END.weeping

1 Like

Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 3:34am On Dec 12, 2012
Thirty minutes later, Amaka and Uche were downstairs awaiting the arrival of their guests.

"My, my...you do look ravishing my darling wife", Uche commented as he looked approvingly at the soft black dress she wore.

Amaka had deliberately chosen the dress as its knee length showed off her silky, smooth well shaven legs. The rich velvety fabric clung teasingly to her, accentuating her curves and model looks. The darkness of her dress contrasted with her very fair skin, giving her an air of class, mystery and self confidence. Her naturally long, silky, shoulder length her swung softly around her making her look years younger.

"Looks like the saloon did a good job on your hair too", Uche added.

"I'm glad you like it", she replied, basking in her husband's compliments of her look. "You also look really good too Uche", she added. He had put on a pair of black denim jeans and dark top which showed off his well toned muscles. "Infact, I think you're quite a catch sir. You most definitely are", she said as Uche wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed the top of her head.

"Thanks wifey", he smiled gently at her, just as the doorbell buzzed. "Ah, I think our guests have arrived".

Opening the door, Dr Kemi Komolafe and her husband Donatus (or Dotun as his close friends called him) stepped in. The couple greeted each other, exchanging pleasantries as Uche and Amaka led them to the sitting room.

"It's been a while, Amaka. But you do look just as good as ever", Kemi complimented her.

"Thank you Kemi", Amaka responded "I must say you look just as good too, Kemi. How have you been all this while?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry about the infrequency of my calls. You know how it is as a doctor. I'm always on call and even when not, find that there are a million and one things to get through", she smiled. "No rest for the wicked eh?"

"You bet!", Amaka laughed. She had always liked Kemi - calm, level headed and an easy to approach disposition. "It's a tough world out there", she added.

"Don't I just know that!", Kemi laughed. "You know, sometimes it pays just to sit back and let things flow naturally", she added.

"True that." Amaka replied just as the doorbell went off again. Excusing himself from Donatus, Uche strode quickly to the door to let in his older sister Ngozi and her husband Effiong Bassey.

"Ah! My sister you've been busy, haven't you?" Uche teased as he looked at her well rounded bump.

Amaka felt a pang in her heart as she beheld Ngozi's very pregnant frame. "Congratulations to you both. Do you know what the sex of the baby is?" She asked.

"It's a girl", they responded in unison, while watching Amaka intently.

"So it's two boys and a girl. Perfect. Well done to you both again", Amaka responded genuinely. "I'm really happy for you", she added as she led the guests to the sitting room, where she introduced them to the already seated Komolafe's.

With the guests chatting happily amongst themselves, Amaka excused herself to the kitchen to set the dinning table.

A couple of minutes later with the guests all seated round the table, she served out the starters and then the main course. Just as she expected, the men chose to have Pounded yam with the fish and vegetable soup. The ladies giggled coyly as the men descended on the meal like a pack of hungry lions.

"Oh my goodness! Donatus, anyone seeing how you attack this food would think I starve you at home!" Kemi lauged.

"Ah! It's not a problem O!" Effiong interjectecd with a mouthful of food. "A man doesn't have or need to tell a woman she cooks well. It'll make her head swell if you tell her the truth."

Kemi stared unbelievably at the statement uttered by Effiong.

Amaka felt herself cringe inwardly at his obvious lack of table manners and crassness. How on earth does Ngozi put up with this man? she wondered to herself. Although they had only just started eating, Effiong already had food particles that had dropped from his open mouth, on the table in front of him. He even a soup stain his white shirt.

"You know the saying, keep 'em mean to keep 'em keen" he continued crudely as a few morsels from his mouth hit Kemi on the face. She wrinked her face in disgust and picked up a tissue to wipe the offending food particle off her well powdered face.

Uche smiled in amusement at the scene unfolding before him, without uttering a word. He was more interested in his pounded yam than running, to rescue Dr Kemi from the very vocal Effiong.

"I've always said a woman should know her place. Her office should be no other than the kitchen, where she resides pregnant, barefooted and chained to the sink", he added leering at Amaka and Kemi. "As long as you the man, provides her financial needs, then you're okay...just like my pregnant Ngozi here", he continued rubbing her bump.

"What about her emotional needs?" Donatus queried. "Or don't those count in a union?"

"Not really", Effiong retorted stubbornly. "You'll discover my friend, that the more money you make and bring home for her to spend, the least emotional she becomes".

"Career wise?" Donatus pressed on. "Don't you think in this day and age, it helps the home if the woman has a career of own?"

"Not every woman needs to go out to work...jump on the band wagon of it ladies." Ngozi interjected, casting a poisonous glance at Amaka. "Some of us choose to get our priorities straight first. Like looking after our husbands and bearing their kids", she added venomously. Once more, Amaka recalled Ngozi veiled statement:

Marriage is like a race and every one in it tries to stay on the track, not only so they can run to the end, but also, to emerge as a winner. As it is now, you are almost off the track.

Suddenly, Amaka could feel her skin crawl as she felt something hot and fleshy rub against her smooth legs. She sat frozen with rage, as she glared at Effiong across the table. He grinned back at her, while rubbing his pregnant wife's huge bump. She looked across at Kemi who had suddenly gone very quite, with pure rage written across her face.

As Amaka pretended to pick up a piece of cutlery which she had deliberately dropped on the floor, she saw that Effiong had taken his cheesy feet out of his sandals, had spread them apart, one rubbing Dr Kemi's shin whilst the other circled frantically in circles underneath the table, aiming for Amaka's leg.

The cheek of that man! What a dog!! She fumed inwardly as she bent her knee backward, and delivered a well aimed kick from the pointed end of her sharp silvery shoe on his shin bone. Amaka smirked as he suddenly sat up in his chair, yelping in pain.

"Is everything okay?" Uche asked, with a puzzled expression on his face.

"Ah! Nothing. It's just my way of appreciating Amaka's excellent culinary skills".

When Amaka got up the clear the dishes, Kemi jumped up offering to help ignoring Amaka's pleas not to. Alone in the kitchen, Kemi turned on her.

"Can you believe what just happened out there, Amaka?" Kemi asked. "I was this close to strangling that man. Despite having a heavily pregnant wife at his side, he still finds time to fool around! What a primitive man!"

"I know, Kemi. But somehow, I don't think he'll be foot massaging anyone for a long, long time."

"How so?" Kemi asked.

"Let's just say, that shout from him had absolutely nothing, to do with my cooking... but everything to do with my pointed heels."

"Haha! Serves the animal right. That man belongs to the stone ages. Surely, Ngozi can't be blind to his indiscretions?"

"Oh she isn't. She just prefers to be a wealthy madam in an unhappy marriage, than a poor madam in a happy marriage." Amaka responded. "Lord knows I've tried my best with that woman but she doesn't like me. I've given up on her a long time ago", she added rubbing the tips of her fingers on her forehead. "A first class dog, a first class cheat, a bully and real wife beater too. It's little wonder he's nicknamed Numero Uno"

"Yes, and those facial bruises covered up with layers of make-up, only go to prove the hell she lives in." Kemi responded, looking sharply at Amaka. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just that I've got this niggling headache that won't go away. Been having it for the last couple of days and no amount of painkillers seem to ease the pain."

Kemi stared thoughtfully at her friend. "When was the last time you saw your period, Amaka?"

"A couple of weeks ago. Why?"

"Because, my dear friend...I think you might be pregnant."

**********************************************************************************************************

1 Like

Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 3:36am On Dec 12, 2012
Ice4jez: advice for u still read dis thread .GO AND GET URSELF A COMPLETE NOVEL COS THIS STORY WILL NEVER END.weeping

Ah, don't be like that now....See, I'm working hard here for our readers naw smiley
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 9:46am On Dec 12, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Ah, don't be like that now....See, I'm working hard here for our readers naw smiley

If he wants a novel, he can go and buy one. This is a collaborative work by aspiring writers of fiction. The story will get its conclusion in its own time. Pay him little attention.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by An0nimus: 10:38am On Dec 12, 2012
Awwesoooome!
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 4:04am On Dec 14, 2012
maclatunji:

If he wants a novel, he can go and buy one. This is a collaborative work by aspiring writers of fiction. The story will get its conclusion in its own time. Pay him little attention.

Ah..ah! Mac abeg ease up on him naw. Ice4jez actually posted that comment before the two updates I provided...but yeah, I get where you're coming from cool

Anyway, I think it's a good thing if your readers request constant updates...just shows that you're on the right path and they love the write up.

@Ice, what Mac means is that it's a never ending story...but thanks for your comments. They actually spurred me on to write something down, here. I just wish others would pick up their pens (so to speak and contribute also) - or you might consider contributing? It doesn't have to be anything major. It could even be just 1 paragraph, if that's what you're comfortable with. smiley

1 Like

Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 8:03am On Dec 14, 2012
^Sorry ice for coming across as unfriendly.

@Efemena, I think people feel intimidated to write. That is a little bit disappointing.

I acknowledge that it is not easy to continue a story you are not in control of but this can be fun.

1 Like

Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by Ice4jez(m): 10:11am On Dec 14, 2012
no offence taking but some times it help if u know how ur readers re feeling .this story is one hell of a gud story n waiting kind of hurts.u guys mind re wonderful.keep up the good work
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by An0nimus: 10:19am On Dec 14, 2012
Ice4jez: no offence taking but some times it help if u know how ur readers re feeling .this story is one hell of a gud story n waiting kind of hurts.u guys mind re wonderful.keep up the good work
Ice let's write na...i shallenge you. Even if na one paragraphsmiley
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 1:58pm On Dec 14, 2012
maclatunji: ^Sorry ice for coming across as unfriendly.

@Efemena, I think people feel intimidated to write. That is a little bit disappointing.

I acknowledge that it is not easy to continue a story you are not in control of but this can be fun.

True that.

You know, I've been thinking...maybe it might be easier for others intending to contribute, if contributions are short and not more than a few paragraphs. You know, like MacAnthon, Iceblue's, Fyngal and even Oluchi's contributions?

I know I tend to write a lot, but it's just that when I start, my creative juices get going and it's hard to stop midway / halfway...

@all, what do you think? Should the contributions be shorter?

Ice4jez: no offence taking but some times it help if u know how ur readers re feeling .this story is one hell of a gud story n waiting kind of hurts.u guys mind re wonderful.keep up the good work

Seriously??

***Dancing Azonto here...*** cheesy smiley

That is such an encouraging statement Ice, cheers! wink

An0nimus:
Ice let's write na...i shallenge you. Even if na one paragraphsmiley

No, no...don't do that pls. Let there be no pressure on this thread abeg. It's all light-hearted fun.

People should be left to contribute (if they so wish), in their own time... smiley

Oya question for all readers of this story, now that nominations are over and the real thing has started...

Are you guys 'n girls in favour of the story being continued?

~ If yes, vote for Efe here: https://www.nairaland.com/1131064/official-literature-writing-section-poster/1

~ If no, also vote for Efe here: https://www.nairaland.com/1131064/official-literature-writing-section-poster/1

cheesy grin grin
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by nikinash(f): 3:51pm On Dec 14, 2012
Efemena_xy: Thirty minutes later, Amaka and Uche were downstairs awaiting the arrival of their guests.

"My, my...you do look ravishing my darling wife", Uche commented as he looked approvingly at the soft black dress she wore.

Amaka had deliberately chosen the dress as its knee length showed off her silky, smooth well shaven legs. The rich velvety fabric clung teasingly to her, accentuating her curves and model looks. The darkness of her dress contrasted with her very fair skin, giving her an air of class, mystery and self confidence. Her naturally long, silky, shoulder length her swung softly around her making her look years younger.

"Looks like the saloon did a good job on your hair too", Uche added.

"I'm glad you like it", she replied, basking in her husband's compliments of her look. "You also look really good too Uche", she added. He had put on a pair of black denim jeans and dark top which showed off his well toned muscles. "Infact, I think you're quite a catch sir. You most definitely are", she said as Uche wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed the top of her head.

"Thanks wifey", he smiled gently at her, just as the doorbell buzzed. "Ah, I think our guests have arrived".

Opening the door, Dr Kemi Komolafe and her husband Donatus (or Dotun as his close friends called him) stepped in. The couple greeted each other, exchanging pleasantries as Uche and Amaka led them to the sitting room.

"It's been a while, Amaka. But you do look just as good as ever", Kemi complimented her.

"Thank you Kemi", Amaka responded "I must say you look just as good too, Kemi. How have you been all this while?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry about the infrequency of my calls. You know how it is as a doctor. I'm always on call and even when not, find that there are a million and one things to get through", she smiled. "No rest for the wicked eh?"

"You bet!", Amaka laughed. She had always liked Kemi - calm, level headed and an easy to approach disposition. "It's a tough world out there", she added.

"Don't I just know that!", Kemi laughed. "You know, sometimes it pays just to sit back and let things flow naturally", she added.

"True that." Amaka replied just as the doorbell went off again. Excusing himself from Donatus, Uche strode quickly to the door to let in his older sister Ngozi and her husband Effiong Bassey.

"Ah! My sister you've been busy, haven't you?" Uche teased as he looked at her well rounded bump.

Amaka felt a pang in her heart as she beheld Ngozi's very pregnant frame. "Congratulations to you both. Do you know what the sex of the baby is?" She asked.

"It's a girl", they responded in unison, while watching Amaka intently.

"So it's two boys and a girl. Perfect. Well done to you both again", Amaka responded genuinely. "I'm really happy for you", she added as she led the guests to the sitting room, where she introduced them to the already seated Komolafe's.

With the guests chatting happily amongst themselves, Amaka excused herself to the kitchen to set the dinning table.

A couple of minutes later with the guests all seated round the table, she served out the starters and then the main course. Just as she expected, the men chose to have Pounded yam with the fish and vegetable soup. The ladies giggled coyly as the men descended on the meal like a pack of hungry lions.

"Oh my goodness! Donatus, anyone seeing how you attack this food would think I starve you at home!" Kemi lauged.

"Ah! It's not a problem O!" Effiong interjectecd with a mouthful of food. "A man doesn't have or need to tell a woman she cooks well. It'll make her head swell if you tell her the truth."

Kemi stared unbelievably at the statement uttered by Effiong.

Amaka felt herself cringe inwardly at his obvious lack of table manners and crassness. How on earth does Ngozi put up with this man? she wondered to herself. Although they had only just started eating, Effiong already had food particles that had dropped from his open mouth, on the table in front of him. He even a soup stain his white shirt.

"You know the saying, keep 'em mean to keep 'em keen" he continued crudely as a few morsels from his mouth hit Kemi on the face. She wrinked her face in disgust and picked up a tissue to wipe the offending food particle off her well powdered face.

Uche smiled in amusement at the scene unfolding before him, without uttering a word. He was more interested in his pounded yam than running, to rescue Dr Kemi from the very vocal Effiong.

"I've always said a woman should know her place. Her office should be no other than the kitchen, where she resides pregnant, barefooted and chained to the sink", he added leering at Amaka and Kemi. "As long as you the man, provides her financial needs, then you're okay...just like my pregnant Ngozi here", he continued rubbing her bump.

"What about her emotional needs?" Donatus queried. "Or don't those count in a union?"

"Not really", Effiong retorted stubbornly. "You'll discover my friend, that the more money you make and bring home for her to spend, the least emotional she becomes".

"Career wise?" Donatus pressed on. "Don't you think in this day and age, it helps the home if the woman has a career of own?"

"Not every woman needs to go out to work...jump on the band wagon of it ladies." Ngozi interjected, casting a poisonous glance at Amaka. "Some of us choose to get our priorities straight first. Like looking after our husbands and bearing their kids", she added venomously. Once more, Amaka recalled Ngozi veiled statement:

Marriage is like a race and every one in it tries to stay on the track, not only so they can run to the end, but also, to emerge as a winner. As it is now, you are almost off the track.

Suddenly, Amaka could feel her skin crawl as she felt something hot and fleshy rub against her smooth legs. She sat frozen with rage, as she glared at Effiong across the table. He grinned back at her, while rubbing his pregnant wife's huge bump. She looked across at Kemi who had suddenly gone very quite, with pure rage written across her face.

As Amaka pretended to pick up a piece of cutlery which she had deliberately dropped on the floor, she saw that Effiong had taken his cheesy feet out of his sandals, had spread them apart, one rubbing Dr Kemi's shin whilst the other circled frantically in circles underneath the table, aiming for Amaka's leg.

The cheek of that man! What a dog!! She fumed inwardly as she bent her knee backward, and delivered a well aimed kick from the pointed end of her sharp silvery shoe on his shin bone. Amaka smirked as he suddenly sat up in his chair, yelping in pain.

"Is everything okay?" Uche asked, with a puzzled expression on his face.

"Ah! Nothing. It's just my way of appreciating Amaka's excellent culinary skills".

When Amaka got up the clear the dishes, Kemi jumped up offering to help ignoring Amaka's pleas not to. Alone in the kitchen, Kemi turned on her.

"Can you believe what just happened out there, Amaka?" Kemi asked. "I was this close to strangling that man. Despite having a heavily pregnant wife at his side, he still finds time to fool around! What a primitive man!"

"I know, Kemi. But somehow, I don't think he'll be foot massaging anyone for a long, long item"

"How so?" Kemi asked.

"Let's just say, that shout from him had absolutely nothing, to do with my cooking... but everything to do with my pointed heels."

"Haha! Serves the animal right. That man belongs to the stone ages. Surely, Ngozi can't be blind to his indiscretions?"

"Oh she isn't. She just prefers to be a wealthy madam in an unhappy marriage, than a poor madam in a happy marriage." Amaka responded. "Lord knows I've tried my best with that woman but she doesn't like me. I've given up on her a long time ago", she added rubbing the tips of her fingers on her forehead. "A first class dog, a first class cheat, a bully and real wife beater too. It's little wonder he's nicknamed Numero Uno"

"Yes, and those facial bruises covered up with layers of make, only go to prove the hell she lives in." Kemi responded, looking sharply at Amaka. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just that I've got this niggling headache that won't go away. Been having it for the last couple of days and no amount of painkillers seem to ease the pain."

Kemi stared thoughtfully at her friend. "When was the last time you saw your period, Amaka?"

"A couple of weeks ago. Why?"

"Because, my dear friend...I think you might be pregnant."

**********************************************************************************************************

Amaka stared at Kemi as if she had just spoken Greek.
"Yes Amaka, you could be pregnant. Tell me, how are your energy levels, have you been feeling tired lately?" Kemi looked at her, thoughtfully.
"Ermm, I have been feeling a bit tired lately, but I just thought it was work related, you know." Amaka said, still contemplating the very idea of her being pregnant. She was simply finding it hard to believe that after all this time, she could be pregnant.
"Anyway before we run ahead of ourselves, maybe you should come by the hospital tomorrow so we can run the test?" Dr Komolafe reiterated
"Oh Kemi, could this be it?" Amaka asked, looking at her friend, apprehension and fear eminent in her eyes.
"Don't worry, let’s just run test tomorrow to confirm." Kemi said, holding her friend's hand.

Amaka was in the hospital reception waiting for the test result. Kemi had been busy when she came in but she had asked her to go to the laboratory to have her blood taken whilst she concluded with the patient with her. The laboratory technician had taken some blood from her wrist. She was so nervous as she waited. Amaka's mind drifted back to the events of yesterday night..... She had woken up with a start. She had been momentarily disoriented, where was she? She slowly realised she was in their bed and her husband's left arm was slung over her and he was snoring softly. She had had a nightmare. It had been horrific. She had been holding a baby but someone had put a gun to her head and threatened to kill the baby if she didn't hand him over. She had cried and begged but the person had snatched the baby from her and had started running away, she was running after the person whose identity she could not determine when she had woken up.

She had been quite withdrawn after the guests left and Uche had asked her what the problem was, but she had been unable to tell him. She didn't know whether to tell him or not. She wanted to tell him but again she was so scared that she might be raising his hope for nothing. What if she wasn't pregnant? What if she was just tired after the long day she had had? Maybe it was the combination of Ngozi's insults and her flea of a husband's disgusting roaming under the table that set off her headache. It was a long time before she had finally drifted off to sleep. And then the nightmare.

"Amaka, please come in." Kemi interrupted her reminiscing.
Kemi was standing by the bed.
"Please lie down, and let me take a look at you. You will need to pull down your skirt and pant. I need to do an ultrasound." Kemi told her as she came in to the office.
"Ok." Amaka said apprehensively. She removed her underwear as the doctor asked and laid on the examination table.

She watched as Kemi brought out a long, whitish probe-like thing with a rounded tip. Kemi proceeded to put a condom over the tip and applied some kind of transparent gel. The long probe-thing was attached to a computer and Kemi turned the screen so that they were both looking at it.
"Amaka lift your knees up and part your legs," she said. Amaka does as she is asked, thankful that it was her friend conducting this very intrusive examination.
"Now relax, I'm going to insert this into you, ok? It will be over soon" Kemi says, looking at Amaka.
Kemi inserts the probe slowly and gently and she turns it around as she does, looking at the screen as she does. All Amaka can see is a grainy black and white screen. After a few seconds, Kemi points to the screen and with a smile on her face she turns to Amaka, pointing to something on the screen,
"There, that is your baby Amaka."
Amaka stares at the screen and is unable to differentiate any part of the screen. She definitely sees nothing that looks like a baby.
"Where"? She asks in bewilderment.
Kemi laughs, and then she explains the screen to Amaka. Finally, Amaka is able to identify a slightly darker roughly pea shaped area on the screen.
"That's my baby"? She asks in a whisper.
"Yes Amaka, you are pregnant. Congratulations, my friend". Kemi says quietly.
Amaka begins to sob. After all this time, she was finally pregnant.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by An0nimus: 4:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
^^^ Wow, I love you niki :*
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 4:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
^Oh dear, I see the problem why people haven't been posting.

@Nikinash, #Sweetheart #Friend #Co-writer. I salute your courage in writing again on this thread (I believe) but (I am so sorry) you jumped from the narrator being a third person that is different from the characters in the story and we the readers to the first person which in this case is Amaka. Kindly re-read the story and make this change and run-it on Microsoft word for grammatical errors. It will make your contribution much better.

I hope you understand.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 4:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
Damn!!

I love you even MORE Nikinash! kiss kiss

Where've you been hiding all this time girl?? cheesy
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by nikinash(f): 4:46pm On Dec 14, 2012
Sorry Maclatunji, It was actually a lazy, half-hearted attempt in the middle of a very busy hamper packing, relaxation badly needed day.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by nikinash(f): 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2012
Efemena and An0nimus, thx.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by nikinash(f): 4:49pm On Dec 14, 2012
Mac, I hope it reads better now. I didnt even finish it well. maybe tomorrow (while in the middle of another hamper packing day!)
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 4:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
nikinash: Mac, I hope it reads better now. I didnt even finish it well. maybe tomorrow (while in the middle of another hamper packing day!)

Even me self no get time to read your edit, I have to run. *Literally runs out of thread.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by Ishilove: 7:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Oya question for all readers of this story, now that nominations are over and the real thing has started...

Are you guys 'n girls in favour of the story being continued?

~ If yes, vote for Efe here: https://www.nairaland.com/1131064/official-literature-writing-section-poster/1

~ If no, also vote for Efe here: https://www.nairaland.com/1131064/official-literature-writing-section-poster/1

cheesy grin grin
Tsk tsk tsk, Efe. . .
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 10:09am On Dec 16, 2012
maclatunji: Kingsley opened the door of his flat and pressed the switch to put on the lights. What he saw as the lights came on put him in shock for a few seconds- there seating on his sofa was a dark handsome young man in his mid-twenties wearing a baseball jersey and black jeans, he smiled at Kingsley and flaunted his impeccably white teeth. He said to Kingsley, “Welcome Dr. Ogbor, I have been expecting you”. Kingsley was flabbergasted, not only was this intruder in his sitting room which he had locked before heading-out to work in the morning, but he actually knew his name! Amidst his surprise, he managed to garner composure and asked- “who are you and what are you doing in my flat?”

“My name is irrelevant but you can call Enigma”, all my friends call me that . “So, you are the one moving in on Numero Uno’s main squeeze, not a wise move my good doctor.” Kingsley was now getting angry, no matter who this guy was, he was going to kick him out of his flat after overpowering him and ensuring that he had not stolen any of his valuables. He was bigger and stronger than Enigma or whatever his name really was , subduing him would be easy Kingsley thought to himself as he moved forward towards the Sofa.

What happened next stunned Kingsley. He had tried to grab Engima’s arm but the intruder smoothly side-stepped Kingsley and throw him to the ground with an arm-drag and swiftly followed it up with a punch to the nose. Kingsley’s nose rang in pain as it started dripping blood.

Enigma let him go and laughed, Kingsley was in pain, as he clutched his nose fearing it was broken. “Don’t worry Kingsley, your nose is not broken and the pain should ease in about an hour. However, it won’t go away completely for a few days even with aspirin.

“I have been sent to warn you by Numero Uno to stay clear of Lola. She belongs to him and you wouldn’t want to get in-between such a beautiful couple would you? “ Kingsley didn’t respond, he was still clutching his nose and wiping-off the blood with his handkerchief. ”Consider this a friendly visit, stay clear of Lola and you will be just fine- don’t fail to heed this advice. Otherwise, Professor Kudeji will be running an autopsy on you soon. Have a good evening my friend.”

Enigma readjusted his shirt in the mirror besides Kingsley’s dining table, after satisfying himself of his good looks and smooth appearance, he walked out of the flat without a care in the world it seemed.

Kingsley scampered up to his sofa wondering if this was all a bad dream, whoever Enigma and Numero Uno were, they sure did know him well, Professor Kudeji was the leading expert on Forensic Medicine in Nigeria and only the most serious cases of murder were brought to his attention. Whoever these guys are, they know their stuff and seem confident that they can get away with whatever it is they want to do, he thought to himself .

He wondered what all of this had to do with Lola as he headed to the fridge for some ice to help ease the pain that was emanating from his bloodied nose.

Lola had woken up feeling relaxed and a whole lot better than she been, for a long time. The soft rays of the early morning sunshine filtered through the slight parting of her curtain, casting her room in a soft yellow glow. Her bed felt soft and warm to her skin, a stark contrast to the cold, hard mattress of the hospital bed she had occupied during her stay there. Burrowing further into the softness of her bed and under the sheets, she could feel her mouth water in anticipation, as she inhaled the mouth watering smell of fried bean cakes, (traditionally known as akara) which wafted in from her mother's kitchen. As she lay snuggled in bed, she could hear Sandra's constant chatter to her parents.

As she lazed idly in bed, she knew she had to get up soon. There were a couple of things she had lined up for the day, which she planned to undertake. For starters, she had to get in touch with Kingsley. There was so much water that had flowed underneath the bridge between them both, that she didn't even know where to start from. Three years. Three long years had gone between them, during which time, quite a lot had happened in their lives. She wasn't sure how she was going to broach the subject of Sandra to him, but what she did know was that she couldn't keep him or Sandra in the dark anymore. She would rather he heard about Sandra's paternity directly from her, than from anyone else. She had an inkling that her parents or more precisely, her mother suspected anyway. Thankfully, she hadn't asked her yet, but knowing her mother, she knew it was just a matter of time before she would start probing for answers.

She also had to get her phone from her mother. Now she felt a lot stronger and was well on her way to full recovery, she saw little reason why her mother would keep her phone away from her. She was yet to read the contents of her email from Mrs Omojobi-Clark too...that had been delayed long enough and whatever the outcome of her interview was, she just wanted to get it over and done with. Two weeks was a very long time. Funny though, she thought to herself. Two weeks ago, her main concern was to try and sort out her finances while keeping Sandra in at school. Now she had Kingsley thrown into the equation. A factor she had not foreseen, not even in her wildest dreams.

With a regretful little sigh, she turned over on her bed, reaching for her watch on the bedside cabinet. 9:30am. Jeez!! It was a lot later than she thought! Sitting upright, the kicked her covers aside as she got out of bed. Pushing her feet into her slippers, she walked out of her room into the living room.

"Eka-ro, papa", she greeted her father in Yoruba, while kissing the side of his cheek.

Lowering the newspaper he had been reading, her father responded to her greetings. "Did you sleep well my daughter?" he asked, looking at her fondly. "And how do you feel today?"

"Yes, I slept very well papa and I feel so much better. Actually, a lot better than I've felt in a long, long while", she added. "I just wish either you or mama woke me up earlier. It's mid morning now and I should be helping mama with breakfast and Sandra."

"No, you shouldn't", came her mother's voice from the kitchen doorway. "You've only just returned home from hospital and you needed that rest."

"Exactly", agreed her father. "You've been away for a couple of days and we're not going to risk you having a relapse" he continued. "Besides, it's the doctor's orders".

"Eka-ro, mama", Lola greeted her mother, going up to her to give her a warm hug. "Now when both of you gang up against me, I haven't got much choice except to back down", she laughingly joked at both her parents. "Two against one...not fair o!".

"Me too mummy, me too..." her daughter came bounding out of the kitchen into her mother's arms.

"Ah! Okay O! Three-against-one", Lola smiled, picking up the child and kissing her oil stained cheeks.

"Mummy do you want some Akara?" Sandra asked, offering her mother a half eaten ball of Akara.

"Hmmm....yummie, yummie!" Lola pretended to take a bite, making Sandra giggle. "But I think mummy's own is in the kitchen, don't you?"

"Yes mummy...mama made a big, big bowl of akara for you in the kitchen", Sandra responded, demonstrating with her hands widely outstretched.

"Oh goodie! How many akara balls did mama make for mummmy?" Lola teased the child.

"A hundred!" Lola smiled as both her parents laughed at Sandra's description.

"Lola, now you're up, come let's serve serve breakfast. I've also got some yellow akamu (pap) for you, just the way you love it", her mother added.

Five minutes later, with the family seated around the table, her parents asked her what her plans were for the day.

"I've been thinking of giving Kingsley a call today", she responded "Just to thank him for what he's done for me". Her parents looked at each other and smiled but didn't say anything.

"I'd also like to take Sandra out with me today and pop over to the internet cafe. I need to read the email I got from Mrs Clark nearly two weeks ago", she added. "I don't know whether it's good or bad news, but either way, the sooner I find out, the better for me. I don't think I can wait any further..."

"It's okay, my daughter. We understand and hopefully, everything will turn out fine", said her father soothingly to her. "You've come a very long way and hopefully, things will turn out for the better for you and us all", he added.

"Yes o! I believe everything happens for a reason. Just keep your faith in the Lord and all will be well my daughter", added her mother. "In the meantime, I've charged your phone for you. PHCN has been very good for the last two days, so maybe that's a sign."

"PHCN?" Her father asked. "Nothing good ever comes from that lot. They're no better than the corrupt government we have residing in power..."

Lola and her mother exchanged glances with each other, rolling up their eyes to the heavens. The knew better than to oppose her dad when he got into full mode of political attack.

"Yes, yes, you are right Baba. Afterall, that's why they're called Power Holding Company", they said in unison laughing at the shared joke.

One hour later with Sandra on her lap, Lola stared incredulously at the screen in front of her.

Dear Ms Lola,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been successful at the first stage of the Interview Selection process for the post of a Personal Assistant within the company's Fashion and Textile line business.

As a result, we would appreciate it if you could confirm your attendance to an informal interview with our Human Resources representative, to discuss your salary expectations, remuneration and company benefits associated with this role. This is set for exactly three weeks from the date of this letter. Please bring along copies of your credentials and references with you to the interview.

In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding this letter, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Yours Sincerely,
Mrs Omojobi-Clark
Director of OJC International Businesses.

Lola shut her eyes tightly, expecting this to be some sort of weird dream, a nasty trick from the powers that be. Me, Lola?? Getting this job? Me?? After the cruel hands dealt me by fate? She asked herself incredulously. She dared not open her eyes, in case it all disappeared before her eyes.

No. This is too good to be true. Such good luck doesn't happen to people like me! Sandra's restless wriggling on her lap forced her to open up her eyes and look at the screen again. Yes, it was there all right. She had passed!

"I passed!" She lept off her seat for joy, clutching Sandra tightly in her arms. The nearby users in the internet cafe smiled amusedly at her.

"Madam, na JAMB you pass so?" The owner of the cafe smilingly asked her. "Well done o!"

"Thank you, sir", Lola responded, suddenly feeling embarrassed as she remembered where she was. Sitting back on her chair, she sent a silent prayer to God, thanking him for her good fortune. That letter was sent on the same day she had her interview. That was over two weeks ago, meaning she was expected to attend the final stage of the selection process in just a couple of days time.

She had paid for an hour's usage of the computer at the Cafe. With a little over half an hour left, she quickly printed out the invitation letter, copies of her credentials and references, which she had stored in her email folder. With the documents safely encased in a folder in her handbag, she then switched to Youtube to play a thirty minute epsiode of Sandra's favourite Teletubbies programme. Whilst her daughter watched with rapt attention, Lola tried to collect her thoughts together in some semblance of order. This was really, really good news. There was indeed light at the end of the very dark tunnel she had been in.

Much later in the afternoon, Lola knocked on the door of Kingsley's flat. She had tried calling him on his mobile several times that morning, shortly after she had received the good news. For some unexplainable reason, she had wanted to share this with him.

Maybe, he's on call and had either switched off his phone or it was on silent mode, she had thought to herself. Although not in her nature to do what she did next, she went to the hospital where he worked, with Sandra hoping to meet him there. She had been disappointed to hear that he had finished off his call for that day by late morning and gone home. Biting her lower lip, she decided to take the plunge and visit him at his home. Luckily, Kingsley had given her father his home address too on the night he had dropped her home, from the hospital.

This is walking into uncharted territory, Lola thought to herself...but, she was on a high and she knew that if she didn't bite the bullet know, her reserved nature would take over and she would never get herself to go see him of her own accord. They really needed to talk and she felt the time was right to tell him about his daughter.

Raising her hand to knock on his door again, she stopped in mid air as the door suddenly swung open from the inside. Looking at Kingsley in a pair of navy blue jeans and top-less, She suddenly felt unsure if she was doing the right thing. As he stood looking at her, with a damp cloth to his nose, Lola greeted him falteringly as she held on tightly to Sandra.

"Can I help you?", he asked her coldly. "I'm done with the hospital for the day but if you require medical assistance, my colleagues are more than capable to be of help to you", he added.

Lola was taken aback by his response. It felt like a slap on her face. A slap of rejection. She suddenly felt very small, very embarrassed and she sorely wish the ground would open up just this once to swallow her up. Anything, anywhere than to be here, having him stare at her with something amounting to dislike? Repulse? Disgust?

"I'm sorry to disturb you. I was hoping we could talk, away from the hospital or prying eyes, but I see that this was a mistake on my part", she added sadly, as she turned around to leave with Sandra.

"Wait!" He suddenly felt remorseful for being mean to her. "Lola please come back. Don't go", he added as he went after her holding her gently by the wrist. "I'm sorry about what I said to you. I've not had a very good day, but shouldn't have taken it out on you. Please come inside", he persuaded her. "You'll always be more than welcome to my home", he added gently.

Lola looked at his face searchingly, trying to discern whether he meant it or not. Seeing that he was genuinely remorseful, she nodded and let him lead her and Sandra back into his home. As he closed the door behind them, he asked her what they would like to drink.

"I'll just have some cold water please, if you don't mind".

"I want orange juice!" Sandra chirped in.

"Manners Sandra," Lola gently admonished her daughter. "What's the magic word?"

"Okay. Please can I have some orange juice, please, please, please?" She asked Kingsley, bouncing up and down besides her mother.

"Yes, orange juice it is, little lady. You most certainly shall have that!", he laughed as he went to go fetch the drinks.

Seated comfortably on his rich leather sofa, with Sandra engrossed in a Teletubbies DVD, he asked Lola how her day had been and what brought her there.

"It's a bit of a tale, which I'll get to...but first of all, what happened to your nose? It looks really sore." She asked.

The smile suddenly left Kingsley's face as he stared at her, responding in even tones. "I was attacked earlier this morning here, in my flat".

"Oh my goodness! Was it by someone you know? Have you reported it yet?" She asked, feeling suddenly concerned about him.

"No, I wasn't attacked by someone I know, and neither have I reported it to the police either. I was attacked by someone YOU know, Lola".

"Someone I know??!!" She asked in amazement. "What on earth are you talking about Kingsley?"

Kingsley stared at her grimly. The coldness she saw in his eyes earlier on had returned. "Exactly what I said Lola, someone YOU know. Someone who sees me as a threat and has warned me to stay away from you, if I know what's good for me!"

"What??!!"

"Lola, who is Sandra's dad?" He asked her in a deadly quiet voice.

Lola took a deep sigh. "Sandra, come over here daraling", she called out to her daughter.

"Not so fast!" Kingsley quickly reached out an arm, holding her back. "You aren't going anywhere till I get some answers from you today, Lola!"

"And so you shall, Kingsley", she responded quietly. "I'm not going anywhere. Come with me please", she added.

Kingsley quietly conceded, letting Lola hold him by her right hand, while she held her daughter by the left hand.

Standing in front of his dressing mirror, she brought Kingsley and Sandra together. "Look into the mirror, Kingsley. Tell me what you see", she gently prodded.

Kingsley swallowed hard. His throat felt constricted as words seemed to fail him. His heart thudded so loudly within his chest, he felt it might explode any minute soon.

"She's mine? He asked incredulously.

"Sandra, say hello to your daddy", Lola added, with tear filled eyes.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by Ishilove: 10:45am On Dec 16, 2012
I am lost... where I wan start from sef...? undecided angry
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 11:02am On Dec 16, 2012
cheesy cheesy

Don't be lost babes wink

You missed the last addition. Was still working on it when your post came in grin
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 1:23pm On Dec 16, 2012
Efemena, is the BBC paying you to promote the Teletubbies on this thread? cheesy
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 1:28pm On Dec 16, 2012
^^ Lol!

Nah, I wish...it was actually introduced by Iceblue on the first page - so I've just flowed with the idea! grin grin

Besides, they're aren't that bad na! tongue
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 1:39pm On Dec 16, 2012
Lala and Po are sweethearts
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 1:43pm On Dec 16, 2012
hahaha!!

On a more serious note Mac, what do you think of my latest updates? D'you think the recent addition ties well with the main story? Or is it just too long? undecided
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 1:55pm On Dec 16, 2012
^I think you are doing a very good job of tying the loose ends together. What we are managing to achieve here is not easy at all.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 2:04pm On Dec 16, 2012
^^ Cheers!

And yeah, you are right. This story is really expanding. cool

By the way, do you not think this should be copyright protected before some aspiring cowboy nollywood script writer nicks our stuff? I know many writers have contributed here, but how can one ensure that although this work remains in the public domain, it's not open for personal gain(s)?
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 2:06pm On Dec 16, 2012
I see you Ice! grin
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by maclatunji: 2:11pm On Dec 16, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Cheers!

And yeah, you are right. This story is really expanding. cool

By the way, do you not think this should be copyright protected before some aspiring cowboy nollywood script writer nicks our stuff? I know many writers have contributed here, but how can one ensure that although this work remains in the public domain, it's open for personal gain(s)?

I think you have expertise in that regard, I support any step you take to copyright it for all contributors here. This might mean we have to call a meeting to reach agreement.
Re: Continue The (Lola) Story by EfemenaXY: 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2012
^^ Not really. Especially on a Nigerian forum.

But yeah, I'm all up for discussing this at a meeting. Hopefully the attendants might be able to show / point out a thing or two...

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

'Why You Act The Way You Do' By Tim Lahaye (Temperaments) / Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1973 Before He Grew White Hair / Chidera Okolie Declares Her DM Open To Potential Suitors; Lists 10 Conditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.