Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Frustrated Nigerian Man Commits “facebook” Suicide - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Frustrated Nigerian Man Commits “facebook” Suicide (1215 Views)

Lamentations Of A ‘frustrated’ Nigerian Surgeon / A Female Doctor Commits Suicide After Testing Positive To Hiv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Frustrated Nigerian Man Commits “facebook” Suicide by ochizo(m): 4:32pm On Dec 30, 2011
A 30-year old Nigerian man from Delta State has killed himself after announcing the act on his Facebook page. Diano Ovie-Richy committed suicide on Christmas day after posting a macabre note he said was an “Xmas gift” to his facebook friends.

In a final note he left on Facebook on December 25, he told his friends that his death would be his Christmas gift to them. Before taking his own life, the suicide ranted over the refusal of the authorities at Delta State University to issue his B.Sc. degree.

“I’ve had failure in all aspects of my life,” he wrote. “I invested 10 years of my life for a B.Sc yet Umukoro, Oboreh and Odirin ate it up.”

He went on to blame supernatural powers for his failures in life. “Any business I run always fail, usually due to DEUS EX MACHINA. Some say I need deliverance because I’m cursed.”

Mr. Ovie-Richy was engaged to marry a young woman named Ariete, but cancelled the wedding even after announcing on December 7, 2011 that he was engaged to her. He also was expecting a baby. “Last month, getting married was aborted though I’m an expecting father.”

According to his suicide note, he decided to kill himself because he didn’t want his unborn child to see him suffer which would tempt him to take other people’s lives.

In his note, he mentioned three persons he said were appreciative of him: Mudiaga, his elder brother, and Pawon and Nehi, “my only two friends.”

Saharareporters contacted Charles Muka, the Police PRO of Delta State, for confirmation but he said that the police command had no information of the incident, but would investigate.

Two of the suicide’s Facebook friends, Akpomughe Vivian Jite and Ukane Christian, confirmed his death on their respective facebook pages.

Also in his suicide note, the deceased appealed to people to show love to his unborn child. “Please show my unborn child Omoovie when born in 2012 some love, kindness and favour in anyway you can.”

“What’re you doing to help the person that is still alive?” he asked Nigerians who might look at him as a coward.

He however took a parting shot at God, “. I hate God 4 allowing d demons 2 continuously destroy my hardwork.”

SaharaReporters spoke to several family sources in Kokori Township in Ethiope East Local Government Area in Delta state where Ovie hailed from. The sources confirmed that Ovie committed suicide by hanging on December 25th 2011 after leaving his last message on Facebook at 1:29pm via mobile phone. In his last notes, he posted a quote from a popular song by Afro-beat maestro Fela Anikulapo-Kuti: "Double wahala 4 dead body n d owner of dead body."

Family members also said the suicide was a 2009 graduate of business administration from Delta State University, Abraka.

One source told us that, even though Ovie hanged himself on December 25 2011, his body was found on December 26. A friend described him as a self-motivated young man who wanted to become a successful and famous entrepreneur.

The source said that his problem at the university was related to his final year "Thesis" widely known in Nigerian universities as "final year project." SaharaReporters learnt that his Head of Department, Dr. F.G. Umukoro, who doubled as his project supervisor, had rejected his final year project because Ovie was late in submitting his final chapters. The friend said that Ovie claimed that it was Dr. Mukoro who had been absent from his duties. He reportedly got angry and refused to complete his project, thereby missing out on his final year graduation and youth service in 2010. The friend claimed all those issues had been resolved and that Ovie was listed to go for his NYSC in February 2012.

Several sources said the tipping point for Ovie was a proposed wedding to his heartthrob, Ochuko also known as Ariete. The wedding had to be postponed because Ovie couldn't afford the elaborate ceremony. “They had to postpone the wedding date so that Ovie could find enough money to throw a big wedding,” said one source.

A friend of the deceased confirmed that Ariete was four months pregnant at the time Ovie committed suicide.

Ovie was buried on December 26th in a public cemetery in Warri, Delta State after traditional rites were administered. The family did not carry out an autopsy, and neither were the police contacted.

[url]http://saharareporters.com/news-page/frustrated-nigerian-man-commits-%E2%80%9Cfacebook%E2%80%9D-suicide[/url]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

19-year-old Girl Delivers Baby With Two Heads In Northern Nigeria [PHOTO] / Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? / Baby Michelle Abia-bassey Needs Our Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.