Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,158 members, 7,807,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Building A Large Duplex In Enugu - Properties (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Large Duplex In Enugu (63304 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. / Twin Duplex In Aso Rock Villa For Lease In Abuja With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 3:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
Oga Spyder, we are ready for learning oh
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by tlops(m): 12:18pm On Feb 25, 2012
^^yeah!
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 3:20pm On Feb 25, 2012
So there is a school like this on NL and I have been missing out?
Anyway, I'm a new student and I would like to ask a question that has always bugged my mind about starting out a new buliding: Considering the poor quality of blocks i see around displayed for sale these days, is it better to buy blocks or mould by oneself when starting a new building?

I have noticed that the hollow blocks that are for sale now have much bigger holes thereby having very tiny block areas and the ratio of sand to cement is very much in favour of sand.

Should one mould or buy blocks?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by princeonx: 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2012
^^
if you're not in a rush or plan to take up the project step at a time, I'll suggest you mould your own blocks. Without a doubt I believe self mould block are defenately stronger than the once we buy in the market since the seller is out to make more money per block. Seller can mould let's say 45 pcs of 6" per bag of cement while you can decide to mould 30-35 pcs (just example) per bag. Your laborer will also love you if he charges per bag cause instead of spending time trying to mould 45-50 blocks out of a bag he'll be moulding 30-35 out of a bag. But for sure, the lesser the block quantity the stronger they should be.

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 5:31pm On Feb 25, 2012
^^ @ Prince onx, thanks so much for your response.
I am looking forward to starting a duplex buliding later this year so I think I have really benefitted a lot from this thread. A friend of mine is currently buliding and decided to buy vibrated blocks for his duplex. I was on his site yesterday and found out that the so called vibrated blocks, which according to him should be stronger than normal manually moulded blocks, break easily.
Some builders I have spoken with seem to be of the opinion that there is no difference between site muolded and bought.

Well like you said, if one is not in a hurry, its better to mould by oneself. I will not be in any hurry when I start.

I'm still learning from the pros here. Keep it up guys.

OP: I shall be waiting for the the cost of the bulding up to roofing stage, if you won't mind. Ciao.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:10am On Feb 26, 2012
VIPICO:

^^ @ Prince onx, thanks so much for your response.
I am looking forward to starting a duplex buliding later this year so I think I have really benefitted a lot from this thread. A friend of mine is currently buliding and decided to buy vibrated blocks for his duplex. I was on his site yesterday and found out that the so called vibrated blocks, which according to him should be stronger than normal manually moulded blocks, break easily.
Some builders I have spoken with seem to be of the opinion that there is no difference between site muolded and bought.

Well like you said, if one is not in a hurry, its better to mould by oneself. I will not be in any hurry when I start.

I'm still learning from the pros here. Keep it up guys.

OP: I shall be waiting for the the cost of the bulding up to roofing stage, if you won't mind. Ciao.

We bought all the blocks we are using here 100%
The budget for this house is N9m (0.45 step tiles aluminium)
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:15am On Feb 26, 2012
some updates
The first batch of electrical materials for this house has been bought as is being used now. We also bought more wood to continue the decking.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:20am On Feb 26, 2012
The pillars has been filled up with concrete. Very solid.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:23am On Feb 26, 2012
more pillars

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 8:47am On Feb 26, 2012
@Spider880, Could you explain how it is that the outter part of the pillar that also serves as the mould is able to stick so firmly to the poured concrete part, after the binding wires are removed, without coming off. I have always wondered.
Thanks.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 9:03am On Feb 26, 2012
@Spider880, I have seen the blocks you are using for this project and I dare say they are really solid. I particularly noticed some areas where the workers use as walkways and they constantly step on the erected blocks of the building (the verandah area) and yet those blocks do not char off easily. You can hardly see that in Port Harcourt. The average Port Harcourt blocks (I stand to be challenged if anyone knows where I can get solid blocks in PH) would have completely worn off at those areas where the workers march on repeatedly. Merely hitting the blocks with your closed fist would disintegrate it all.
When I saw the aforementioned part of your building, I thought to myself, "Enugu block moulders sure make better blocks for sale than PH block moulders"

Also are the blocks you use vibrated or ordinarily moulded? Although even as a non-professional I am inclined to believe that the real secret here lies in the sand to cement ratio. Does vibration really matter?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 9:17am On Feb 26, 2012
spyder880:

more pillars

This highly ingenious method of casting pillars make a whole world of sense, Spider880.
Asians, Europeans, Americans and everyone else need to come down to Nigeria and learn this creative way of making pillars instead of trying to sell cardboard and plastic moulds to us.
Nigerians, sometimes we need to sit back and appreciate our own instead of swallowing whatever others throw at us hook, line and sinker.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 10:38pm On Feb 26, 2012
Nice
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Demainman1: 11:52am On Feb 27, 2012
spyder880:

We bought all the blocks we are using here 100%
The budget for this house is N9m (0.45 step tiles aluminium)

@Prof Spyder, Is this 9M budget for everything including interior decor(electrical fitting, plumbing and tilling)? and landscaping (interlocking stones and grass/plants)?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:25pm On Feb 27, 2012
Demain_man:

@Prof Spyder, Is this 9M budget for everything including interior decor(electrical fitting, plumbing and tilling)? and landscaping (interlocking stones and grass/plants)?

From foundation till roofing and some interior finishings, plastering and some doors, no work in the outside is part of this budget
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
more updates

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:30pm On Feb 27, 2012
;

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:35pm On Feb 27, 2012
'\

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:38pm On Feb 27, 2012
\/

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:41pm On Feb 27, 2012
hjv

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 9:52am On Feb 28, 2012
VIPICO:

@Spider880, Could you explain how it is that the outter part of the pillar that also serves as the mould is able to stick so firmly to the poured concrete part, after the binding wires are removed, without coming off. I have always wondered.
Thanks. 

@spydo880, one of your very loyal and humble students had earlier asked a question here o. Biko, throw some light.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 2:16pm On Feb 28, 2012
Willing to learn and enjoy the classes . . . thanks for teaching us too
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:20pm On Feb 29, 2012
VIPICO:

Thanks.

Concrete has a high binding quality that is even stronger than gum, remember the outer part is made of cement solution, it can never seperate, do you know that we are nailing wood on the standing pillars today and it was not breaking, it is just solid.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:29pm On Feb 29, 2012
and, we got some granite for the decking slab

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 10:55pm On Feb 29, 2012
All eyes are watching and learning
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by VIPICO(m): 10:28am On Mar 01, 2012
spyder880:

Concrete has a high binding quality that is even stronger than gum, remember the outer part is made of cement solution, it can never seperate, do you know that we are nailing wood on the standing pillars today and it was not breaking, it is just solid.

Very very interesting and much of an eye opener for me. I never would have thought I would fall so much in love with the Property section.
Spydo, you have completely changed the colour of this section. It's no more just about innumerable agents trying to sell unverifiable property.
Ride on bro
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by fakindele100: 2:46pm On Mar 01, 2012
more here,

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by fakindele100: 2:57pm On Mar 01, 2012
here,

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
Reporting to class
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:42pm On Mar 03, 2012
Even as we are still doing the decking of this house, the soak away pit has been dug and we are starting work on that one soon.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:53am On Mar 06, 2012
This toilet pit works are still ongoing together with the decking works. I will be in this site today.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

How Is The Square Feet (sft) Of Plots/lands Converted To Square Metres (sqm)? / How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / How Much Is Your House Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.