Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,907 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Building A Large Duplex In Enugu - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Large Duplex In Enugu (63283 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. / Twin Duplex In Aso Rock Villa For Lease In Abuja With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by opokonwa(m): 7:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
@poster

Which part of Enugu is this site?: GRA, Independence Layout, Trans Ekulu

How much can I buy a 1,400sqmtre in same area? Or other areas?

Are u an architect or Site Engineer?

Can I have ur email or personal number?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by erico2k2(m): 8:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
SirJohn:

On the contrary, 9th mile (Udi area) is known for water, even the state has a water reservoir there; again, companies that require water as their main raw material (coca-cola, pepsi, nigeiria brewries, guiness) all have production plants and depos at 9th mile
Yep I agree with you, you are correct, them companies do have their plant there so there must be portable water source there

nedu210:

oboy is not dat hard to get water in enugu check out places like Abakpa, Trans Ekulu, Emene, Garriki, Asata.  
DAmn thats the one I was trying to remember ABAKPA, there are white sa nd there and water aint that far but as for Asata,I dont k now bout that as I lived there 5 years, Unuasat close to Obiago if spelt right lol,what they call streem is water sipping fru solid coal.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by doja(m): 8:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
Following
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by AfroBlue(m): 8:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
Serious question. How is waste water and sewage disposed of? Septic tank?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by kennyeast(m): 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
That location look like tinkers corner to me, well Mr. spider, how much can one get that same size of land in a good area there in enugu and what will be ur full construction estimate for same kind of building . thank u.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Sweetnecta: 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2012
This is pitiful that they have to burn the land and cut down trees [the greens that could have beautified the house and make the site so picturesque. No wonder the houses look old and ugly considering that the dust bowl that homes have to remain in the middle of.

can't the africans realize that you dont have to live in stripped bare land, but some greens, grass and trees even for shades are part of home living, too?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by nedu210(m): 9:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
@arico2k2 u mean OBIAGU, yah obiagu is in asata, the only thing that will prevent u frm getin water faster in enugu is under ground rock or stone, but if u can penetrate the stones then see u see water. it can even turn
to ocean like wat happened in mgbowo awgu. But its not every place in enugu that is like dat, its only peculiar to hilltop places like awgu and nsukka which some hills in this area are siad to contain water.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by erico2k2(m): 9:51pm On Jan 07, 2012
Sweetnecta:

This is pitiful that they have to burn the land and cut down trees [the greens that could have beautified the house and make the site so picturesque. No wonder the houses look old and ugly considering that the dust bowl that homes have to remain in the middle of.

can't the africans realize that you dont have to live in stripped bare land, but some greens, grass and trees even for shades are part of home living, too?
from what you just said i can say you are clueless bout construction,Plz I aint insulting you ok dnt take it the wrong way, that action you described above Ie burning and stripping the land is what they call Enabling work in construction.For you to put innitial structure on ground one has to strip the land to balance what he wants to put o n ground tehn add the beaty of greens when all is dont to fit the building in question.The problems most contractors or builders have in 9ja is they just build the house not teh grounds and its surounding,Why do you think lanscape is such a big Biz in the west?

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by erico2k2(m): 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2012
nedu210:

@arico2k2 u mean OBIAGU, yah obiagu is in asata, the only thing that will prevent u frm getin water faster in enugu is under ground rock or stone, but if u can penetrate the stones then see u see water. it can even turn
to ocean like wat happened in mgbowo awgu. But its not every place in enugu that is like dat, its only peculiar to hilltop places like awgu and nsukka which some hills in this area are siad to contain water.
Yep thats the one, man anything that got to do with digging the ground si a major task when it come to Enugu,the challlenge pass world war,I fill pity for the guys who have to dig Drilling should be the word grin grin grin grin
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:07pm On Jan 07, 2012
Welcome on board everyone, new guys are all welcome, will delve into your questions as soon as I upload all these picture updates of more work from the foundation blinding works, and the iron bending to form pillar rods and baskets that will bear the weight of this house. Pictures.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
pillar baskets, to bear the weight of the house in a reinforced concrete mix of 12'' thickness. This will be placed in all the column and will form the base for the pillars that will run up through the walls.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
starter pillars, these will be mounted on top of the baskets and cast in a special mix of concrete, these will form the 'shoes' that will carry this house.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by erico2k2(m): 10:23pm On Jan 07, 2012
spyder880:

starter pillars, these will be mounted on top of the baskets and cast in a special mix of concrete, these will form the 'shoes' that will carry this house.
So far so good, did you read my suggestion/responce as to deal with the i nbalance of the foundation?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
The concrete poured into this foundation, note the holes created for the baskets and pillar starter rods, when the baskets,rods are placed inside the holes, it will now be poured till its of same level with the rest of the concrete. We are also cutting steps into the ground to balance out the uneven tilt of the land.

@erico2k2, will talk to you as soon as I finish sending, please hold on pal.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by nedu210(m): 10:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
guy its realy war o, especially in my place but if u finally get it u will not lack water 4 the rest of ur life, both in rainy and
ur well will always be full.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
more about the foundation, a column base at the middle

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
more blinding to fit twisting designs in the house

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 10:45pm On Jan 07, 2012
Loving these
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:57pm On Jan 07, 2012
erico2k2:

nah 9th mile is even harder, there is a place in Enugu that has normal soil,I have 4gotten whats its called, there are even wells there, my Uni days was in Enugu state my mate lived in that area I have 4gotten its name damn  lol now as regards the inbalaance of the area bringging in a bulldozer+grader would have innitially solved this problem, you did not think about it properly regarding the issue of lose soil, you should have considered mesurring and collecting data of the lowest point of the plot that way you dig to that level, xtra sand you get would be used to fill in  and the foundation would have started at the lowest point ie 4-6ft downwards from that lowest  point  and the emerging sand used to refill it to the formal  level

My brother, when building in the full glare of the public, you cannot afford not to think every step through, even staying awake all night to plot all available graph and make wider consultations because you don't know who is watching online. Your suggestions will work only when the tilt is a small one, you suggested we go to the lowest point and dig 4-6ft and then use the same level to do all the other parts of the foundation.

Well there is a height differential of over 10ft, 13 in some points from the lowest point, lets assume we go with your suggestion, we have to dig 4-6 ft at the lowest point and keep it level till we get to the highest point, by the time we get to the point that is 13ft higher than the lowest point, we must have burrowed though the ground down till 17-19feet into the ground,  cheesy we go hit crude oil by that time na grin Except if I don't understand what you mean, please explain further, especially about the role of the bulldozer.
I like more suggestions, it helps me to learn more.

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:07pm On Jan 07, 2012
nedu210:

oboy is not dat hard to get water in enugu check out places like Abakpa, Trans Ekulu, Emene, Garriki, Asata.  

Apart from Ninth mile, there is no other place you could be confident of getting water in good quantity and quality in Enugu, most of the water used in Enugu town comes from Ninth mile, I know more than 3 friends that owns boreholes in Ninth mile and they are licking oil plenty grin

kennyeast:

That location look like tinkers corner to me, well Mr. spider, how much can one get that same size of land in a good area there in enugu and what will be your full construction estimate for same kind of building . thank u.

Send me a mail on ckenneths at yahoo dot co dot uk, we shall take it from there.

Sweetnecta:

I also love greens, and by the time my house wich is also being built live on this forum 9see the property section) is finished, I have a good plan for the landscaping. But dont have much choice when the landlord says you should remove all trees, I know he has high taste and going green is among his strong interests.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2012
opokonwa:

@poster

Which part of Enugu is this site?: GRA, Independence Layout, Trans Ekulu

How much can I buy a 1,400sqmtre in same area? Or other areas?

Are u an architect or Site Engineer?

Can I have your email or personal number?

My email is ckenneths at yahoo dot co dot uk, please send me a mail, thank you.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by opokonwa(m): 11:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
spyder880:

My email is ckenneths at yahoo dot co dot uk, please send me a mail, thank you.

I have already sent you a mail.

Kindly respond.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by erico2k2(m): 11:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
spyder880:

My brother, when building in the full glare of the public, you cannot afford not to think every step through, even staying awake all night to plot all available graph and make wider consultations because you don't know who is watching online. Your suggestions will work only when the tilt is a small one, you suggested we go to the lowest point and dig 4-6ft and then use the same level to do all the other parts of the foundation.

Well there is a height differential of over 10ft, 13 in some points from the lowest point, lets assume we go with your suggestion, we have to dig 4-6 ft at the lowest point and keep it level till we get to the highest point, by the time we get to the point that is 13ft higher than the lowest point, we must have burrowed though the ground down till 17-19feet into the ground,  cheesy we go hit crude oil by that time na grin Except if I don't understand what you mean, please explain further, especially about the role of the bulldozer.
I like more suggestions, it helps me to learn more.

the diffrence is huge 10-13 needs huge earth moving machines, sort you dont have at the moment at your disposal,You see if you was building on not to stable landscape you cant afford to step the foundation it all need one level cos of faults, but we dont have that i n 9ja.Well what I meant was the diffrence B/the highest  and lowest point of the land, then you could move at least 5ft of earth if you had the machine thoug not by hands lol if not you will get crude oil  lol grin grin
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
erico2k2:

the diffrence is huge 10-13 needs huge earth moving machines, sort you dont have at the moment at your disposal,You see if you was building on not to stable landscape you cant afford to step the foundation it all need one level cos of faults, but we dont have that i n 9ja.Well what I meant was the diffrence B/the highest  and lowest point of the land, then you could move at least 5ft of earth if you had the machine thoug not by hands lol if not you will get crude oil  lol grin grin

Thank you pal, please stay around and point out other findings so we can treat them and learn from it, no man is an island of knowledge and I need as much suggestion as I can get. Welcome on board.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by erico2k2(m): 11:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
spyder880:

Thank you pal, please stay around and point out other findings so we can treat them and learn from it, no man is an island of knowledge and I need as much suggestion as I can get. Welcome on board.
Thats good, Im slef thought and doing research on how to build cheap and affordable house and also trye developing new materials in our enabling environment in our own God blessed country.In my book, building materials have not changed since I was born except us moving from metal pipes to plastic lol
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by AreaFada2: 6:21am On Jan 08, 2012
bookmarked
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Blackteeth(m): 8:29am On Jan 08, 2012
@spyder. You forgot to answer my question concerning the water issue.
You said digging a borehole may not yield water but a well will be dug cos the neighbours have water in their wells. I thought both a well and a borehole releases the same underground water, so why will water be found in a well and absent in a borehole?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by rastaman20(m): 9:33am On Jan 08, 2012
Learning a lot oooo, this duplex is unique with all this explanations going on , just as I said before, every bulding is unique and different from others , Oga spyder880, Thumb up again as u now sharing more knowledge as usual. I have one question here. What is the cost of digging a well and drilling a borehole in that particular area that you are building now?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Wislet(f): 10:35am On Jan 08, 2012
This is really interesting.
I love the quality of the materials being used, the efficiency of the workers and the combined brainwork going on in the decision making. Imagining how the edifice will look like when finished. The landlord has good taste.
Building is fun for real.
Kudos.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:31am On Jan 08, 2012
@ Blackteeth, borehole and well are the same because they both bring out ground water, but that is where the similarity ends.

For the well, it is dug manually by one or two men who physically hack through the ground till they get underground water in domestic use, please note the word domestic use. This water can only serve one or two families for their domestic use, maybe for washing clothes, washing the car, watering the flowers and washing plates. Most people dont drink well water in Enugu because the shallow nature of where the ground water is found. Well water in Enugu is found after 15ft to 50ft depending on the location. The cost of digging it ranges from N20k-60k depending on your bargaining power, depth till you find water and geology of the place. Well water sometimes dries up, and you will need to call the men that dug it and pay them additional to deepen it. Water from the well is usually capiliary water from the ground. I always like to sink well in sites I work and harvest water to build the house, saving my clients from huge expenses.

The borehole is another different kettle of fish entirely. Boreholes are dug for commercial water purposes (at least in Enugu). If you want to sink borehole in Enugu, most people do so with the intention to sell water (except of course you are too rich).
Investors buy lands in different areas in Enugu, fence the land and then drill boreholes, you cannot drill boreholes manually in Enugu. You must hire the company that owns the drilling rig, the vehicle will be in your land, drill the borehole and get water. The water table for seriour water in Enugu is about 600-700 water deep. You also need to buy submersible pump to intert into the ground to pump up the water by electrical power. All these run into millions and the investors hope is to sell water to tankers and make his money back.
The capital of borehole business in Enugu is Ninth mile, if you are not digging in Ninth mile you are taking risk sinking borehole. Some have invested up to N3-4m without finding water in commercial quantities.

Please ask any other questions you need explanations for, welcome to our thread.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:39am On Jan 08, 2012
@ Oga Rastaman20, the cost will not be clear till we conduct Geophysical surveys, paying N40k to one survey company to physically visit the site and then peforming tests to ascertain the depth and quantity of ground water in an area. From that step, you submit the report to drilling companies who then costs your borehole and gives you the quotation. Someone was given the bill of N1.5 million last time but they told him they cannot assure him of the possibility of striking big water. The guy didnt go ahead with the plans.

It is important to note that Enugu does not have any big river around it, the multiple hills in the area is another factor. Maybe thats why we dont have sufficient water.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by rastaman20(m): 2:05pm On Jan 08, 2012
@spyder880, Thanks for the insight, this is another source of income. Enugu here I come. Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / How Is The Square Feet (sft) Of Plots/lands Converted To Square Metres (sqm)? / How To Construct Concrete Facial For Your Parapet Roof Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.