Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,475 members, 7,808,722 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) (24287 Views)

InnosonMotors CEO Drives Foreign SUVs But Wants Us To Buy His Cars / Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2012
Whether you drive a small Car or a V8 SUV, chances are you can squeeze a bit more distance out of each Litre of fuel -- and at today's Petrol Price of 141 Naira per Litre, an improvement of just one or two miles per Litre of Petrol can really add up.

These Fuel Saving tips Have served me well over the years, and they can help you improve your Car's fuel economy and take some of the Pains out of high fuel prices.

Most of these tips will give you a slight increase Fuel Economy of your Car or SUV.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2012
SLOW DOWN

One of the best ways to save Petrol is to simply Reduce your speed. As speed increases, fuel economy decreases exponentially.

Although we don't like to drive slowly, it's a proven fact that fast driving will increase the drag (turbulence) and hence increases your fuel consumption. It's your choice.

Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes Petrol. It can lower your Petrol mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. Sensible driving is also safer for you and others, so you may save more than Petrol Money.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2012
REDUCE EXCESS WEIGHT

Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 KG in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2 percent. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.

Keep Only what is Necessary in the Car, The Heavier the Car, The More Fuel Consumption and this is applicable to Most cars.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:27pm On Jan 02, 2012
CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE

Under-inflated tires are one of the most commonly ignored causes of Heavy Fuel Consumption. Tires lose air due to time (about 1 psi per month) and temperature (1 psi for every 10 degree drop); under-inflated tires have more rolling resistance, which means you need to burn more Petrol to keep your car moving.

Buy a reliable tire gauge and check your tires at least once a month. Be sure to check them when they are cold, since driving the car warms up the tires along with the air inside them, which increases pressure and gives a falsely high reading. Use the inflation pressures shown in the owner's manual or on the data plate in the driver's door jamb.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by kponmo: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2012
nice 1
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:42pm On Jan 02, 2012
DONT USE THE AIR CONDITIONER ALL THE TIME.  grin

This may be Impractical and Not Applicable to Those of Us that Live & Experience the Mad Traffic in Lagos, But Lets Discipline Ourselves Sometimes  grin

Some people advise not to run the air conditioner because it puts more of a load on the engine, which can decrease fuel economy. But others say that opening the windows at highway speeds can Increase fuel consumption as the Air drags the Vehicle further at top speed.

Truth is Turning on the AC, Loads the Engine and Reduces Fuel Economy.

Sometimes, When the Weather is Cool and you're not in Traffic, You can Switch off the AC to Save Petrol.

Park your car in the shade if you can, so you won't have to keep the AC working so hard and your car temperature is kept minimal.

Turn off the AC 5 minutes before you reach your destination and don't keep it working until the last second.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 02, 2012
tell them to ensure that both injector/nozzles are okay. if they're fine, fuel will also be saved

1 Like

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2012
toba:

tell them to ensure that both injector/nozzles are okay. if they're fine, fuel will also be saved

OK Sir, Your Input is Appreciated.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 9:52pm On Jan 02, 2012
CHECK YOUR AIR FILTERS REGULARLY.

Clogged air filters increase fuel consumption by restricting airflow to the engine, and thus should be cleaned/replaced when necessary.

Clogged air filters can increase fuel consumption by up to 10%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2012
I'll be checking this thread daily hence forth
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by inspiredm(m): 10:05pm On Jan 02, 2012
REDUCE IDLING TIME IN TRAFFIC

When you're in Traffic, and you you foresee that you will not be moving for more than 30 seconds or 1minute you should turn off the engine.

Leaving the Engine Running in Traffic ( With AC ON ) Increases your Fuel Consumption Over time.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by calculusx(m): 12:15am On Jan 03, 2012
chaiiii. c wht fuel subsidy has caused us. i bought 2k pms xternight and on checking my fuel gauge, i laughed. Breathe of fresh air indeed grin grin
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Cogito(m): 12:51am On Jan 03, 2012
Thank you for this. Even though I don't drive and I'm not even in the country I'm happy to see people like you thinking about how to move forward instead of bleating over split milk. Keep it up.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by CuteTj(m): 1:01am On Jan 03, 2012
Great insight. Thanks for the tips. But anybody give us tips on how to cope with using our generators since these tips are only meant for cars, increase in the prices of bus fare for does that don't have cars, increase in the costs of food, increase in school fees and general increase in the cost of goods and services?
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by member479760: 1:01am On Jan 03, 2012
Think of having additional source of energy by using pure water, electrolysis of H2O will give hydrogen, as you know hydrogen has high energy of combustion, need assistance in doing so let me know!
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by CuteTj(m): 1:04am On Jan 03, 2012
I commend Inspired_m and i dnt mean to derail your thread. Thanks.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by ndoh20: 1:08am On Jan 03, 2012
Thanks a lot man. I use a V6 engine and i was a bit worried on how to get by daily. As much as i love comfort, i guess one really needs to adjust
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by kbdrim(m): 1:18am On Jan 03, 2012
so for ur mind we don accept fuel subsidy abi?
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Lexusgs430: 1:36am On Jan 03, 2012
Also not forgetting downgrading your engine size. ie from a V8 4300 cc to a 1500 cc engine !
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by member479760: 1:46am On Jan 03, 2012
http://www.hojomotor.com/vid

Watch the short video above to learn the secret to produce completely free electricity for your home and appliances!
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by kayswag100(m): 2:15am On Jan 03, 2012
approriate tyre pressure saves lot of fuel.

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 03, 2012
CuteTj:

Great insight. Thanks for the tips. But anybody give us tips on how to cope with using our generators since these tips are only meant for cars, increase in the prices of bus fare for does that don't have cars, increase in the costs of food, increase in school fees and general increase in the cost of goods and services?

Tips as requested :

Bus fare: wake up at 3.00am and trek half the distance to work
Cost of food: Adults shall henceforth, be restricted to only 2 meals per day. one at 11.00am and other at 8.00pm excluding pregnant women and nursing mothers.

somebody else should take it from here.

1 Like

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Nobody: 2:43am On Jan 03, 2012
This one is here talking about fuel saving tips rather than occupying the streets until the obnoxious policy is reversed. The docility and defeatism of the average Nigerian is embarrassing. Everyone likes to think of himself as a 'big boy' even if it means that you're being cheated and exploited.
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Nobody: 3:03am On Jan 03, 2012
morufoye:

Tips as requested :

Bus fare: wake up at 3.00am and trek half the distance to work
Cost of food: Adults shall henceforth, be restricted to only 2 meals per day. one at 11.00am and other at 8.00pm excluding pregnant women and nursing mothers.

somebody else should take it from here.
chai! I will show ppl here this oneooo, kwashioko or whatever go overtake hiv soon

1 Like

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by lastpage: 3:06am On Jan 03, 2012
Education-focused TIPS!
All University/Higher Institution students must now revert back to the SAP-days regime of 0-1-0
*That is go for lecture in the morning on empty stomach.
*When its break time (usually between 1-2pm) go and eat BRUNCH, a combination of breakfast and Lunch;
*Eat food that would not easily digest so you dont go hungry quickly (Hard Eba, Fufu, Amala, Pounded Yam too expensive!, Gari and Beans mixture, e.t.c)
*Buy special "soles" for your school shoes, like the Boggie-shoes of the 70's; the Sole must be at least 6inches thick. You will finish your degree programme before it wears out from excessive walking!
*As part of Govt "palliatives", students are allowed to smoke Garri for dinner!
*Stock your Locker with Kulinkuli, (a product made from mashed, broken Nuts). use it to eat bread, 'smoke' Garri, and as 'snack' when reading.

Additional "Tips" for saving cost:
*Students should learn to hunt for Crabs and Squirrels at night, from nearby bush!
*Team-Up with your girlfriend to share a room, share pot of soup and generally behave like married couple (am not advocating any illegal business in the dark o!) shocked shocked
*Use the bottom of your rubber slippers for/as Eraser
*Hunt for un-used part/pages of Exercise and Notebooks. Bind them together to form a complete Notebook, for your lectures.
*Better still, place your phone close to your lecturer's mouth (or on his table) so you record all he says and listen to it in your room; NO need to buy Notebooks!
*Sell your notebooks and textbooks to students a year below your level (ensure you wrap them properly to ensure they can even pass for NEW)
*Suggest to your Lecturer that all assignments and project work shall henceforth be in "electronic format", no more typing, printing and binding.
*If you run out of Red Biro, go to the local butcher shop and fill a bottle with Cow Blood, use with an Ink Pen. shocked (Please dont cut yourself just to avoid going to the butcher, your blood is expensive and un-subsidized!)
*Ensure you live about next-door to your lecture halls. No long trekking on empty stomach, you can collapse midway.
*Wear tattered dress when going home to demand for your allowance, all those designer jeans wont cut it with your parentsanymore. They will not believe you dont have money to live on.
*[s]Add a few Books to the official Book list, you can redeem them at half-price[/s]. Please dont do this, it is offensive to our parents!
*Campus Guys should stop having multiple "babes", it will ruin you eventually as you cant cope now that subsidy is gone! Babes should increase the number of their "Guys" by double since subsidy removal doubled the price of everything!
*Learn to cook your own meal in your room, get firewood from nearby (be careful not to set the whole school on fire ) and work on a project that focuses on "local stoves" or how to "make fire using Sawdust and Sand"! Who knows, you might win a Nobel Prize! wink

If everything fails and you cant cope, Join Boko Haram
(and you know "where" and "who" to face, dont you?) or jump-off a bridge!

BTW: Dont do so on 3rd Mainland Bridge, that Bridge is shaky and unstable, it might just collapse under your feet and cause you small injury, in which case you will just be deformed for life! shocked Not a very good state to be.

Cheers,

Lastpage

Tips for "office workers" will come tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Bisijohn: 3:26am On Jan 03, 2012
I will also add to points raised that we can start to drive on LPG-Gas. Well, availability of gas is another issue. This will save alot of money. 60litrs of gas can drive up to 300Km. I live in Sydney,Australia, I drive on both Petrol and Gas, but i've found out that Gas is almost 3 times cheaper than petrol, and it's more environmental friendly. Imagine, a litre of gas will cost me 57cents-90naira, whereas, a litre of petrol will cost me 1dollar.61cents (262naira).
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by lastpage: 4:05am On Jan 03, 2012
^^^ How many of our cars can use gas fuel?
Where do we buy the gas from?
Did you say Australia? shocked shocked shocked

Alright, the GEJ will simply claim he needs to remove "subsidy" from GAS and the price will soar to N800/Liter! wink
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Joey82(m): 4:33am On Jan 03, 2012
The only petrol saving tip is to park the goddamn car and trek!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by Sprumbaba: 5:16am On Jan 03, 2012
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by AfroBlue(m): 5:19am On Jan 03, 2012
Joey82:

The only petrol saving tip is to park the goddamn car and trek!!!!!!

Excellent observation. Many around the world have taken to pedal power, I myself being one.

Bike Commuting By the Numbers

Compared to Americans, Europeans are way out in front

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/articles/2008/08/04/bike-commuting-by-the-numbers

Cycling surges in the land of the automobile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11415660

Cycling London - Urban Commuting by Bike

http://cycling-london..com/

Bicycle Commuting Incentives: US v UK | Commute by Bike
http://www.commutebybike.com/2010/11/19/bicycle-commuting-incentives-us-v-uk/

Help me make my longer cycle commute more fun

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/22/help-longer-cycle-commute-fun
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by GboyegaD(m): 5:29am On Jan 03, 2012
I need someone to educate me on what happens to the money on subsidy since the government is not sincere with their words. Jonathan said the removal would take place on the 1st of April and he eventually removed it on the 1st of January and you think there truly would be savings on the subsidy removal? Moreso, what has happened to windfall from crude sales in the past

Sprumbaba:

Best tip is to buy bicycle.

Are you suggesting the use of bicycle on 3rd mainland bridge or on other highways as well?
Re: Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) by amsowierd: 5:33am On Jan 03, 2012
[b][i]WHY HAS THE PRESIDENT DECIDED TO BE THE GREATEST FOOL FOR THE YEAR 2012?. THIS IS NOT THE REASON WHY WE VOTED YOU IN. YOU PROMISED HEAVEN ON EARTH, SO WHY HAVE YOU DECIDED TO MOCK/FOOL YOURSELF ALL BECAUSE OF MONEY, GOOD NAME THEY SAY IS BETTER THAN RICHES MR BADLUCK TO NIGERIA,  OTHERS EAT FROM THE CAKE, AND YOU ARE TAKING IT ALL,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council / Help! How Do I Recover A Debt Of 5.5m? / Order/purchase Ur Tokunbo Engine And Gearboxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.