Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 (6426 Views)

Gov. Okorocha Presents N141.2B 2015 Budget To State Assembly / Filling Stations Still Sell At N141 In Ondo / Rivers Governor Introduces Fuel Subsidy, Cuts Price From N141 To N137 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by OmoTier1(m): 11:20am On Jan 04, 2012
Seriously, this question does beg for serious answer folks. We all know our refinaries are not all dead. At least they still refine some volumes of PMS. We also do know that the cost of refining locally is way way cheaper than the imported PMS, just as foriegn rice is way more expensive than Abakiliki rice in Nigeria.

Then arise the question: Will NNPC mega station be selling fuel at far more cheaper rate of say N70 since the PMS refined in Nigeria are not subidized? If yes, what will become of the oil marketers who the FG have said can go overseas and import and sell to the public. If the NNPC follow the PPPRA directive to sell @ N141 locally refined PMS, is that not an economic sabotage, selling almost 10 times the actual cost of production?

Fellow forumites, what is your take, any answers to the question above?
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by DeepSight(m): 11:27am On Jan 04, 2012
EXCELLENT QUESTION! ! ! !
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by debosky(m): 12:01pm On Jan 04, 2012
This is one question that the government has completely evaded in the subsidy discussions - how much does it cost to refine one litre of petrol in Nigeria? Is it equivalent to the price of imported fuel?

A couple of comparisons:

the price of petrol in the UK (removing VAT and Duty) is approximately 53p. Based on a conversion rate of 250 naira to 1 pound, locally refined petrol should cost 132.5 naira.

http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html

In the US, the current cost of petrol is roughly 88 cents/litre. Removing tax, (12%), we come up with 77.44 cents/litre. Based on 150 naira to 1 dollar, the price of locally refined petrol should be 116.16 naira.

I suspect the difference between US and UK prices is due to exchange rates as well as different crude prices as well (WTI Crude used in a lot of the US is slightly cheaper than the UK standard Brent Crude)

I do not think Nigerian refining costs from inefficient refineries are significantly lower than foreign refineries, and 77% of the cost of petrol is from the price of crude.

In my opinion, Nigerian refined petrol should be in the range of 120-130 naira per litre taking the average of the two above and considering our inefficient distribution network using road tankers.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by jmaine: 12:11pm On Jan 04, 2012
Can i ask if the local refinering capacity is anyway near our daily consumption of ± 30 million liters . .If yes, then the OP concerns is valid . .but if no . .how do we reconcile the huge deficit that is likely to be imported as usual . . .
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by debosky(m): 12:13pm On Jan 04, 2012
jmaine:

Can i ask if the local refinering capacity is anyway near our daily consumption of ± 30 million liters . .If yes, then the OP concerns is valid . .but if no . .how do we reconcile the huge deficit that is likely to be imported as usual . . .

It does not have to be anywhere near the imported quantity - the issue here is that if you are producing locally refined at 120 naira, sell it at 120 naira and not 141 naira.

If it means everyone rushes to NNPC to try to buy cheaper fuel, then so be it, but let there be transparency on how much locally refined petrol costs. If the NNPC price is a composite of locally refined price + imported price, this should also be made transparent.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by jmaine: 12:27pm On Jan 04, 2012
debosky:

It does not have to be anywhere near the imported quantity - the issue here is that if you are producing locally refined at 120 naira, sell it at 120 naira and not 141 naira.

If it means everyone rushes to NNPC to try to buy cheaper fuel, then so be it, but let there be transparency on how much locally refined petrol costs. If the NNPC price is a composite of locally refined price + imported price, this should also be made transparent.

Bros, before we move further . .what is the refining capacity of our refinery at the moment . .you cant evade or dilute the important factor of availability . . .

if the NNPC quota is miniscule compared to their imported counterparts . . . selling at that prize may at best be very limited and less impactful . .the big importation players would still have the market prize game pad . .
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by nateevs(m): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2012
debosky:

This is one question that the government has completely evaded in the subsidy discussions - how much does it cost to refine one litre of petrol in Nigeria? Is it equivalent to the price of imported fuel?

A couple of comparisons:

the price of petrol in the UK (removing VAT and Duty) is approximately 53p. Based on a conversion rate of 250 naira to 1 pound, locally refined petrol should cost 132.5 naira.

In the US, the current cost of petrol is roughly 88 cents/litre. Removing tax, (12%), we come up with 77.44 cents/litre. Based on 150 naira to 1 dollar, the price of locally refined petrol should be 116.16 naira.

Are those prices in pennies and cents the costs of 'locally-refined petrol' in the UK and US respectively or the cost of 'imported petrol'?
It is important that we don't lose focus of what the OP desires answers to. For that reason, I believe hat the cost of locally refined petrol should be lower than the figures you arrived at - N132 and N161

Only of course if I read it all wrongly.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by karlmax2: 12:43pm On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Seriously, this question does beg for serious answer folks. We all know our refinaries are not all dead. At least they still refine some volumes of PMS. We also do know that the cost of refining locally is way way cheaper than the imported PMS, just as foriegn rice is way more expensive than Abakiliki rice in Nigeria.

Then arise the question: Will NNPC mega station be selling fuel at far more cheaper rate of say N70 since the PMS refined in Nigeria are not subidized? If yes, what will become of the oil marketers who the FG have said can go overseas and import and sell to the public. If the NNPC follow the PPPRA directive to sell @ N141 locally refined PMS, is that not an economic sabotage, selling almost 10 times the actual cost of production?

I thought people like Ʊ said our refineries are not working ?
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by debosky(m): 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2012
nateevs:

Are those prices in pennies and cents the costs of 'locally-refined petrol' in the UK and US respectively or the cost of 'imported petrol'?

Those are the prices of locally refined petrol in those countries - there might be some importation, but the majority of petrol sold in both countries is locally refined.

jmaine:

Bros, before we move further . .what is the refining capacity of our refinery at the moment . .you cant evade or dilute the important factor of availability . . .

if the NNPC quota is miniscule compared to their imported counterparts . . . selling at that prize may at best be very limited and less impactful . .the big importation players would still have the market prize game pad . .

No one is evading anything - according to the minister for petroleum, local refining is sufficient to meet 30% of the petrol consumption. That is not miniscule in any sense.

Our refineries when we came into government 16 months ago were running at about 30 per cent or more capacity utilisation. We have worked very hard and aggressively to ensure that at this point, they are between 50 per cent and over 60 per cent capacity utilisation, producing almost 30 per cent of our locally needed refined products at this time.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by jmaine: 1:05pm On Jan 04, 2012
debosky:

No one is evading anything - according to the minister for petroleum, local refining is sufficient to meet 30% of the petrol consumption. That is not miniscule in any sense.

Okay . . . 30% is quite a substantial volume to accommodate the OP question . . .
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by OmoTier1(m): 1:08pm On Jan 04, 2012
karl max:

Omo_Tier1:
Seriously, this question does beg for serious answer folks. We all know our refineries are not all dead. At least they still refine some volumes of PMS. We also do know that the cost of refining locally is way way cheaper than the imported PMS, just as foreign rice is way more expensive than Abakiliki rice in Nigeria.

Then arise the question: Will NNPC mega station be selling fuel at far more cheaper rate of say N70 since the PMS refined in Nigeria are not subsidized? If yes, what will become of the oil marketers who the FG have said can go overseas and import and sell to the public. If the NNPC follow the PPPRA directive to sell @ N141 locally refined PMS, is that not an economic sabotage, selling almost 10 times the actual cost of production?

I thought people like Ʊ said our refineries are not working ?
When we say they are not working, Yes because they can not produce the actual volumes of PMS, DPK and Diesel for which they were designed and installed. Hence the out cry. In engineering will call that turning the wheel at excess torque when you only require 1RPM after gearing! In which case, we are spending more money on TAM but with little or no improvement.

If you are not aware, refineries do not only spill out liquids like PMS, there are lots of other hydrocarbon derivatives that come out of the refining process and most, if not all our refineries were designed and installed as multi-purpose refineries!

debosky:

A couple of comparisons:

I suspect the difference between US and UK prices is due to exchange rates as well as different crude prices as well (WTI Crude used in a lot of the US is slightly cheaper than the UK standard Brent Crude)

I do not think Nigerian refining costs from inefficient refineries are significantly lower than foreign refineries, and 77% of the cost of petrol is from the price of crude.

In my opinion, Nigerian refined petrol should be in the range of 120-130 naira per litre taking the average of the two above and considering our inefficient distribution network using road tankers.
Let me begin by appreciating your price comparison using the UK and US examples. Correct me if I am wrong, I think the Federal Government template agreed with the Major International Oil companies actually put the cost of crude extraction and refining locally at N45, with a margin of profit between N15 to N25. I am trying to dig up that document and I will try and put it up when I do lay my hands on it.

However, I still think of the 450,000bpd local allocation, our refineries do refine about half of that quantity. If that be the case, will these locally refined crude be sold at N141? Should NNPC proceed to sell at N141, then there is no basis whatsoever for the FG to allocate crude to NNPC, rather NNPC should be made to 'buy' crude from the FG at International Markets prevailing prices, as those importing are also subject to the prevailing International Market prices, hence the reason PPPRA came up ith N141 minimum pump price. In fairness, and to allow for equal competition, NNPC  buying crude from the FG would put every player in that sector on equal footing. And idea I even find ridiculous  shocked

By the way, the government claims we consume about 22million liters of PMS daily, but the CBN governor has continually challenged the DPR to provide the template that was used to arrive at that figure but none has been forth coming. Sanusi at the last Fuel subsidy removal debate even raised doubt as to the credibility of that figure and subsequently question whether the savings a thouted by the FG is equally as high as N1.36tn.

I for one feel questions like these are the silent issues the government has prevent the public from debating by rushing through this obnoxious policy.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by OmoTier1(m): 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2012
jmaine:

Okay . . . 30% is quite a substantial volume to accommodate the OP question . . .
Going by that 30% quote by the Minister of Petroluem Resources, it therefor means that of their acclaimed 30million liters daily consumption, our refineries can spill out 9million litres daily approximately. Meaning, NNPC would be allowed to sell such a huge volume gotten locally, and transported using FG infrastructure nationwide, to the Nigerian consumer! That is what I call economic sabotage because like you and I know, NNPC never remits profits into the FG account rather they spend it on what who knows what!
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by debosky(m): 2:27pm On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Let me begin by appreciating your price comparison using the UK and US examples. Correct me if I am wrong, I think the Federal Government template agreed with the Major International Oil companies actually put the cost of crude extraction and refining locally at N45, with a margin of profit between N15 to N25. I am trying to dig up that document and I will try and put it up when I do lay my hands on it.

The cost of crude extraction is not the relevant price here - the NNPC has been mandated to pay international prices for its crude allocation. Unless the government backtracks and decides that NNPC should only pay the cost of crude extraction, then this remains the case. If the FG does, it has simply shifted the subsidy from the end user to the NNPC - someone somewhere must still pay.

However, I still think of the 450,000bpd local allocation, our refineries do refine about half of that quantity. If that be the case, will these locally refined crude be sold at N141? Should NNPC proceed to sell at N141, then there is no basis whatsoever for the FG to allocate crude to NNPC, rather NNPC should be made to 'buy' crude from the FG at International Markets prevailing prices, as those importing are also subject to the prevailing International Market prices, hence the reason PPPRA came up ith N141 minimum pump price. In fairness, and to allow for equal competition, NNPC  buying crude from the FG would put every player in that sector on equal footing. And idea I even find ridiculous  shocked

Ridiculous or otherwise, that is the case - the government has made the change as far back as 2003 to force the NNPC to pay market prices for their crude. That is when the issue of subsidy really began to spiral out of control.

By the way, the government claims we consume about 22million liters of PMS daily, but the CBN governor has continually challenged the DPR to provide the template that was used to arrive at that figure but none has been forth coming. Sanusi at the last Fuel subsidy removal debate even raised doubt as to the credibility of that figure and subsequently question whether the savings a thouted by the FG is equally as high as N1.36tn.

I don't think there's much benefit in debating over the exact consumption of Nigeria at the moment. If the figures claimed by government are inflated, the more reason to expose the 'padding' of the figures by removing the subsidy which provides an incentive to inflate consumption figures.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 04, 2012
This is one of the reasons why the complete deregulation is very timely.

Now, NNPC will either work hard or grasses will take over their properties like it did to NITEL.

Mr. President has removed the platform of the corruption. There is light ahead of the tunnel.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by jamace(m): 2:46pm On Jan 04, 2012
Don't mind those corrupt entities in NNPC. They have been collecting subsidies 0n  locally distilled PMS. From a reliable source, the NNPC is not under=producing as they made us believe, but under-declare so as to favour subsidy collection from the federal purse. Corruption will issue all of them permanent illness via karma. Nonsense. angry
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Orikinla(m): 3:21pm On Jan 04, 2012
NNPC Mega Station sold N141/litre yesterday in Lagos.

See The Facts on the Cost of Petrol in Nigeria on http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2012/01/facts-on-cost-of-petrol-in-nigeria.html
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

This guy, I can see that while u instigate others to take to the street, you are in the comfort of your home farting through your brain. Government said it is deregulating the down stream sector. Know what that means? Free market - where prices are regulated by forces of demand and supply. Grab the opportunity this present: Set up a refinery, produce at N20 and sell at N200. Boy! this will be more useful endeavor than sitting your fat as.s all day long typing rubbish  
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by queensmith: 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2012
they should in all fairness shouldt they?
everyone cant benefit from the reduced price if not.

Otherwise the price difference should be deducted from the overall consumer cost.

Which will still result in the gov.t having to subsidise the petrol to some extent. and its quite clear they dont want to do that?
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by yd849ja: 3:42pm On Jan 04, 2012
Who ever says cost of running a refinery in Nigeria is equivalent to that of a developed nation must be on some cheap drugs even if crude oil is supplied at the international benchmark price. I see no reason why the cost of production of a litre of petrol in Nigeria should be the same or almost the same as the US/UK considering the fact that labor and other constituents involved in the production would be cheaper in Nigeria. So please stop your misinformation.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Domwiz4all(m): 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2012
debosky:

A couple of comparisons:

why not luk at d cost of refining of crude oil in orda countries like Libya,saudia arabia,etc u wil be suprise at wat u wil find.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by agog: 4:02pm On Jan 04, 2012
very good question. unless NNPC is made to buy from FG at international prices and the profit added to subsidy savings, there wont be level-playing ground, and this is sheer exploitation of the masses.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by andyanders: 4:03pm On Jan 04, 2012
NNPC stations are selling 145 per liter
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by phuckNL: 4:08pm On Jan 04, 2012
@ OP

Your points are only valid if the NNPC or whoever refines their crude buys at a different rate than the international market price of crude.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by OmoTier1(m): 4:59pm On Jan 04, 2012
oxford:

This guy, I can see that while u instigate others to take to the street, you are in the comfort of your home farting through your brain. Government said it is deregulating the down stream sector. Know what that means? Free market - where prices are regulated by forces of demand and supply. Grab the opportunity this present: Set up a refinery, produce at N20 and sell at N200. Boy! this will be more useful endeavor than sitting your fat behind all day long typing rubbish  
It's gono happen here on Friday the 6th of January at 1pm, charing cross underground station. So chill mobilization is ongoing!
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Goldcon: 5:06pm On Jan 04, 2012
t does not have to be anywhere near the imported quantity - the issue here is that if you are producing locally refined at 120 naira, sell it at 120 naira and not 141 naira.

Dat way more pple will easily invest in building refineries, which is to me the only benefit that will come from the removal. While the importers can still make their money especially in the short term cos majority of the pple will be buying from them the importers at the imported price.

I believe dis removal can be a great biz opportunity for so many pple. Import fuel, import/manufacture bicycles, build refineries. (for now we hav so many illegal micro refineries in the Niger delta, we can step it up legitimately)

I hav decided to start looking at (if any) the benefits dat can come from this policy, cos no matter how much we "shout and protest". we know they are not feeling it.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by debosky(m): 5:35pm On Jan 04, 2012
yd849ja:

Who ever says cost of running a refinery in Nigeria is equivalent to that of a developed nation must be on some cheap drugs even if crude oil is supplied at the international benchmark price. I see no reason why the cost of production of a litre of petrol in Nigeria should be the same or almost the same as the US/UK considering the fact that labor and other constituents involved in the production would be cheaper in Nigeria. So please stop your misinformation.

You see no reason does not meant here isn't a reason. The cost of running a refinery is not necessarily cheaper in Nigeria - in fact I'll wager that it is more expensive due to the inefficiencies in the distribution system (tankers instead of pipelines), the cost of generating your own power, bureaucracy amongst others.

If we are manufacturing costs are cheaper abroad than in Nigeria in general, why would you simply think it would be cheaper in the case of crude oil refining?
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by AAT2: 6:28pm On Jan 04, 2012
The one thing we are missing here is thus no matter the price the free market dictates for the retail price of PMS, the government can always manage this much better

the ultimate price of pMS is dependent on the"price of crude from which it is refined'" plus 'the refining cost" plus ""the transportation cost"" plus ""the profit margin to traders .""

The government can regulate the crude price and the profit margin.

This is where the real debate on subsidy should be: govt can decide like how it is in many oil producing nations to apportion an amount of the total daily crude production for local use(COST LESS Subsidy). This must be well monitored to ensure that smuggling and exportation does not occur.( how possible this is should be determined vis a vis the feasibility of removing the subsidy totally) This form of subsidy does not cost us directly in terms of the nations current account and actually provides jobs and industry. The refining can either be carried out by the private sector or public sector or both to encourage competition and efficiency.

The locally refined PMS can then be sold to marketers at a fixed markup. This will eradicate the current corruption in the system used for subsidy.

All the above can be monitored centrally as there would be less than 15 refineries satisfying the total demand in Nigeria.

How hard can it be to record how much crude is supplied to the refineries and how much products leave their gates?

BTW NNPC DOES NOT pay market prices for its crude. so how can they be allowed to sell refined products based on this? (ANOTHER FRAUD)
NNPC ALSO does not know how much crude is produced daily in Nigeria
NNPC should be properly audited and then we can begin to understand what is happening in the Nigerian oil sector as per the above comments on silenced arguments.

SubSIDY in its current form MUST go and a transparent replacement that would allow for the current expenditure on subsidy to be put to use in better ways shoudl be developed.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Timmy321(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04, 2012
This is a Silly Question as far as I'm concern. They are already selling it 150 so why asking now? JONATHAN IS A NATURAL BURN BAST.ARD. May His Soul Rest in Peaces.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by Timmy321(m): 8:33pm On Jan 04, 2012
This is a Silly Question as far as I'm concern. They are already selling it 150 so why asking now? JONATHAN IS A NATURAL BURN BAST.ARD. May His Soul Rest in Peaces. IDIOT.
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by gbokukueba(m): 8:44pm On Jan 04, 2012
i bought at 138 NNPC Oregun today
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by 989900: 9:12pm On Jan 04, 2012
According to former minister of petroleum David-West, cost of refining a litre in Nigeria should be less than N40

Secondly if we consume 35m litres/day (which our government actually feel is even inflated), then a lot must be wrong with us generally, considering I can actually count over 20 countries with less than 15% of our population that consumes more than we do.

Thirdly if they say we need 30billion Naira (naturally inflated) to repair the refineries, why spend 1.3 trillion annually (40times more) on subsidy?
Re: Still On The The Fuel Subsidy: Will NNPC Sell Locally Refined PMS For N141 by manny4life(m): 9:17pm On Jan 04, 2012
My question now is, if govt has mandated NNPC to purchase crude @ international prices say $100+ per barrel, how is fuel supposedly to be produced at under N35 as people claim? Like seriously, if NNPC purchases I barrel at $100 = 168 liters supposedly, that is $0.60 per liter (N96 @ 160 exchange rate). The cost of refining, waste etc isn't included, so people, how do you arrive at "fuel is cheap and can be produced under N35 per liter"?

Bottom line, fuel will be cheap only if Nigeria allocates crude to NNPC for a far cheaper price say 1/5th of international price, that way they can refine and sell at low cost if not, I sure don't see it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Developed Are Northern States / .......... / Onitsha-Enugu Road Looking Brand New With Street Lights (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.