Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1212440 members, 1570613 topics. Date: Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 08:03 AM

Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York - Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics / Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York (2101 Views)

Blacks Don't Read:they Are Still Our Slaves--whiteman / Abraham Lincoln Or Martin Luther King: Who Help The Slaves More / Should Descendants Of African Slaves Have Their Genes Tested? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by babasin(m): 10:23am On Oct 06, 2007
A burial ground for African slaves, which had been forgotten for almost two centuries, has been opened to the public in New York.

Some 400 remains, many of children, were found during excavations.

Half of the remains found at the burial site were of children under the age of 12.

This is shocking!!

Well considering that the 'red-indians' were wiped-out, it is not so shocking.

This further expose the evil country called USA.

Now how will those victim get justice

cool sad angry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7031142.stm
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by ow11(m): 11:09am On Oct 06, 2007
the white people are mean

the story of slave trade is gory.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by babasin(m): 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2007
the white people are mean

This is worst than Holocoust. The government/people of New York hid the graves for over 500years, if not for the construction works nobody will know.

How many more slaves mass graves are all over 'America'?

This should be roundly condemned by UN and African Governments.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 2:40pm On Oct 06, 2007
The white people are mean?? What about the black people who sold their own brothers and sisters to the white people  Or the many black people who today do not consider the plight of their own brothers and sisters in their rush to get rich at all cost?? or the black people who today are busy maiming children for their selfish pleasures?? or the black people who massacred their brothers next door cause they do not have the name they like?? WOW!!! White people are evil today cause white people of the past buried black slaves in a grave about 200 years again?? InterestinG!!!!
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by CrazyMan(m): 2:48pm On Oct 06, 2007
God will punish all those white people for using us blacks a slaves. What do they want us to use the grave for? Do they expect us to go there and weep weekly or monthly?
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2007
Will God punish all our greatgrand papas who sold their own brothers and sisters into slavery Will God punish all those black people who made money from such trades and helped the white man to fill up his boat with black brothers and sisters for a piece of a mirror, gun powder or some tobacco?? or even money?? Come to think of it , how do we know God is not already punishing them now, see Africa grin
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by texazzpete(m): 2:55pm On Oct 06, 2007
babasin:

This is worst than Holocoust. The government/people of New York hid the graves for over 500years, if not for the construction works nobody will know.

How many more slaves mass graves are all over 'America'?

This should be roundly condemned by UN and African Governments.

DO you people even read? It's a Burial ground, not a mass grave. It's not a site where people were massacred or bludgeoned or shot or gassed to death. It's a burial ground for black people. You can be sure that as land was a premium (and racial prejudice sure as hell wouldn't let black people be buried with white people) the black dead were simply buried in one place. The article doesn't even insinuate otherwise.
The article even said it was built over and simply forgotten. What part of that translates to 'The government/people of New York hid the graves for over 500years'

Babasin, unfortunately, is a half-wit. Comparing this to the holocaust is totally brainless. That can be forgiven. How can 'forgotten for almost two centuries' suddenly turn to 500 years?

babasin:

Well considering that the 'red-indians' were wiped-out, it is not so shocking.

Most people refuse to understand or appreciate the dynamics of conflict that comes into play when two different an opposing cultures clash. The white and indian conflict took place over centuries, with a major turning point being the decision of majority of the indian tribes to take the side of the British in the American/British war of independence. That and the legendary tales of indian massacres of women and children served to instil in the whites a deep apprehension towards indians. Wars were fought,a nd the better armed side won out.
I always find it strange when Nigerians talk about the American acqusition of indian land. Remember Adamawa State? All the indigenous tribes were driven out by one of Usman Dan Fodio's lieutenants (Moddibo Adama). They were forced to resettle in Cameroon and have never come back, their lands permanently taken over by the conquering Fulani.
Wikipedia says this

'Ironically, the Adamawa was more sparsely populated after Adama's conquest. Rather than fight the Fulani invaders, many peoples fled, displacing others in turn. The Adamawa Plateau, once home to many of Cameroon's ethnic groups, soon became a pastureland, and the forest zone of Cameroon became more heavily populated.'
and
'The jihad also pushed those peoples who had lived on the Adamawa Plateau south into the forest, the single most important event in the populating of Southern Cameroon'

I don't see anyone saying the fulani should vacate Adamawa for the once-indigenous tribes to return. It's easy to criticise, isn't it?
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Oct 06, 2007
Well,  I was trying to stay away from such ,  but now that you did it yourself,  I hope you are ready to be labeled a RACIST Next . Who knows you might even, since some nigerians re-define words, be called a Tribalist @Texazzpete. I completely agree with you but I will put on my shield now cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by babasin(m): 3:03pm On Oct 06, 2007
Most people refuse to understand or appreciate the dynamics of conflict that comes into play when two different an opposing cultures clash

absolute rubbish.

The europeans left for 'america' basically to loot and steal the red-indians land.

same thing was done in austrialia, south africa, falkland, virgin island, every where.

the only saving grace for west africa was 'malaria' otherwise, you will all be leaving in township while Lagos etc is occupied.

It is patern of robbery and steal not accidental clash of two cultures.

The government, church, and people of europeans, who became america all participated.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2007
babasin:

absolute rubbish.

The europeans left for 'america' basically to loot and steal the red-indians land.

same thing was done in austrialia, south africa, falkland, virgin island, every where.

the only saving grace for west africa was 'malaria' otherwise, you will all be leaving in township while Lagos etc is occupied.

The government, church, and people of europeans, who became america all participated.

Ok, this is the main REASON WHY I DECIDED to jump on the EDUCATION and LITERACY FOR ALL band WAGON!!!! DO We actually Spend TIME READING and RESEARCHING at all in Nigeria?? Or do we just bite on what we hear and run off with it without at least verifying that what we have is close to true??
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by texazzpete(m): 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2007
The whites are the most openly penitent race about slave trade, that's why we know so much about the Atlantic Slave Trade. But what i read today while researching material for this reply showed me that the Arabs were far worse.
Now, before you read anymore, click this link!!
YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO KNOW THE TRUTH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_trade

You back? Let me highlight some choice parts of that article for those too obstinate to read.

David Livingstone wrote of the slave trade:

"To overdraw its evils is a simple impossibility, We passed a slave woman shot or stabbed through the body and lying on the path. [Onlookers] said an Arab who passed early that morning had done it in anger at losing the price he had given for her, because she was unable to walk any longer. We passed a woman tied by the neck to a tree and dead, We came upon a man dead from starvation, The strangest disease I have seen in this country seems really to be broken heartedness, and it attacks free men who have been captured and made slaves."

Livingstone estimated that 80,000 Africans died each year before ever reaching the slave markets of Zanzibar

and

'The Atlantic slave trade peaked in the late 18th century, when the largest number of slaves were captured on raiding expeditions into the interior of West Africa. These expeditions were typically carried out by African kingdoms, such as the Oyo empire (Yoruba), Kong Empire, Kingdom of Benin, Kingdom of Fouta Djallon, Kingdom of Fouta Tooro, Kingdom of Koya, Kingdom of Khasso, Kingdom of Kaabu, Fante Confederacy, Ashanti Confederacy and the kingdom of Dahomey.[84][85] Europeans rarely entered the interior of Africa, due to fear of disease and moreover fierce African resistance. The slaves were brought to coastal outposts where they were traded for goods'

SO, it's official then. The white slavers maltreated the slaves they had, but these same slaves were mainly delivered to them by the African kingdoms, among which were the Yoruba kingdom of Oyo.

It's so, so sweet when we write 'OMG! THESE WHITE PEOPLE ARE TEH SUCK!!11' isn't it?

I wonder what will happen if i open a new topic and say 'Yoruba People major culprits in Slave Trade' and it makes the front page of nairaland. Controversy and insults for me, i'm sure.

I cannot excuse the Europeans and Americans from the horrors of slave trade. But i'm smart enough to acknowledge that the Arabs had been enslaving Africans for over a thousand years, and i'm man enough to know that much of the sklavery would never have been possible if not for the knowing connivance of many, many Africans, our forefathers (including the 'great' Oyo empire).

But hasn't that always been the problem of Africans, even til now? Our leaders (and the powerful) sell the weak for money (figuratively and literally). it started hundreds of years ago when they sold their fellow man for a few trinkets (knowing, of course, that such people's futures were forever destroyed) and it continues when our Speakers eat money meant for the well-being of the entire nation, when guerillas drag children from schools to go sift for diamonds in Sierra Leone.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by texazzpete(m): 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2007
babasin:

absolute rubbish.

The Europeans moved to America to start a new life on a land they believed was big enough for everyone. The hostility came later. The clash of cultures occurs everywhere to dissimilar cultures meet.
But i guess it's ok when it's called Jihad, eh? How much land did Usman Dan Fodio et al return after they evangelized 'em (with the edge of well-sharpened swords, i might add)
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by FSU: 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2007
Who does not know that the Arabs were worse slave drivers than Europeans? You only need to read up on old Nigerian novels set in the North (eg The slave boy, and the Return of Shetima) to get an overview of Arab slavery. Also try Niger and Mauritania. Arabs still foist enslavement on black Africans in these countries.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Iman3(m): 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2007
@FSU

Please don't mention the Arab slave trade.Don't get our Muslim brothers irate at the suggestion that the Arabs were not saints.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2007
grin wink cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
ROMBL
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by TayoD1(m): 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2007
@texazzpete,

Utmost respect to you my brother. Good to know there are more people out there who are brave enough to speak the truth. Black racism on Whites cause many to be blinded to the facts that stare us right in the face.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2007
Tayo-D:

@texazzpete,

Utmost respect to you my brother. Good to know there are more people out there who are brave enough to speak the truth. Black racism on Whites cause many to be blinded to the facts that stare us right in the face.

Exactly, the disease has reduced many to choosing to live in mediocrity on a daily basis, constantly blaming the white man for everything they themselves do wrong.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by ono(m): 6:50pm On Oct 06, 2007
And why should I believe every damned thing as dished out by wiki? Tex, please provide more links, references and others before I can take all that's written in wiki as the gospel truth. Between, I have no problem with the white guys, and I won't blame them for all of our woes in AFRICA.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by ono(m): 6:55pm On Oct 06, 2007
More than enough references in that link from Tex. Now I can see clearly.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by babasin(m): 9:17pm On Oct 06, 2007
@Ono & Co,
this is about mass grave of black slaves in NEW YORK city and not about 'arab slavery'.

This new discovery of hiding mass graves in NEW YORK should be extended to other US cities, God knows how many blacks were murdered by their 'white masters'

and there must be justice for these atrocities.

Only problem is BLACKS themselves; they remain quiet and never fight for their rights.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Skywalker5(m): 9:20pm On Oct 06, 2007
Na wahala you wan start be that oooooooooo
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by TayoD1(m): 9:39pm On Oct 06, 2007
@babasin,

this is about mass grave of black slaves in NEW YORK city and not about 'arab slavery'.
It's either you are missing the point or just plain out to misrepresent the issue under consideration here. This is not about a mass killing of Blacks and an attempt to hide a crime. The finding (in 1991 to be precise) only reveals a graveyard where Blacks are buried. This graveyard was forgotten and only rediscovered when a construction was to be done on the site.

Your attempt to make this seem like a crime is not gonna go far becase this was not a crime. Slavery is unacceptable, but the issue here is not slavery.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by davidylan(m): 9:44pm On Oct 06, 2007
I await the day mass graves of african slaves would be unearthed in Medina and rebuilt as a tourist attraction in honor of the dead.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by babasin(m): 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2007
This graveyard was forgotten and only rediscovered when a construction was to be done on the site.

indeed. forgetten graveyard.

this is recent history and not days of pharao or Marco Polo.

Half of the remains found at the burial site were of children under the age of 12.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7031142.stm

and its just concidents that half of buried souls are kids.

History tells us, those kids were not economic for the slave master; the parents are more economically viable; they work fingers to bone.

If this was jewish/white kids, hell will break loose(what killed them, who are they, what dna etc) and now black kids; you are telling us some funny remarks.

when will blacks learn to fight for their own?
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by TayoD1(m): 10:20pm On Oct 06, 2007
@babasin

What's the point of carrying out the various tests you prescribed if this was not a mass grave as you erroneously indicated? This is a graveyard, pure and simple.

That the graveyard is forgotten is no fault of the White man. Where are the Blacks who buried their own there? Why didn't they preserve their heritage, and kept it from getting buried in the sands of time? Must the White man always bear the buurden for all our needs?
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by iykrion(m): 11:33pm On Oct 06, 2007
@kobojunkie & co,
Walter Rodney in his well researched book 'How Europe Underdeveloped Africa' revealed that those blacks (slaves) shipped to America, Europe and elsewhere were not only bought, majority were kidnapped by the white men and Arabians trading in human cargo.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by TayoD1(m): 11:42pm On Oct 06, 2007
@iykrion,

Walter Rodney in his well researched book 'How Europe Underdeveloped Africa' revealed that those blacks (slaves) shipped to America, Europe and elsewhere were not only bought, majority were kidnapped by the white men trading in human cargo.
If they bought the slaves, we can safely deduct then that the Europeans and Americans learned about, and adopted slavery from what they see Africans and Arabians do. The only difference is that while the Americans and Europeans used slavery to develop their nations, the Africans and Arabs used it to further the personal fortune of their elite, and so perpetuate the class system that bedeviled their communities!
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by shango(m): 1:39am On Oct 07, 2007
sorry but I have never believed anything purported as Historical fact by Europeans, if there is one thing that Western thoughts has mastered it is rewriting history. In the US, I read articles everyday in the Washington Post and NY Times of events that occurred days ago that are contorted and propagandized with half truths and spin. If in this age of the Internet, "Free media" and democracy such retelling of events can be skewed then how can you take century old historical "records" as fact.

Europeans say we sold our people into slavery. Yeah, just like Europeans in America said a black person was 3/5th of a human, a proclamation that still remains in their coveted constitution. We captured and sold our people for mirrors and gun powder. How silly do they think people are to believe such garbage.

I can imagine in 100 years what will be written about the Iraq war. The Iraqis attacked the USA on 911 and the USA responded by bringing freedom and democracy to the Middle East.

To think we take so called facts at face value from people who consider you monkeys. All you have to do is ask a typical White American why they think Africa is in the state that it is in right now. It usually reveals what they really think about Africans.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Oct 07, 2007
iykrion:

@kobojunkie & co,
Walter Rodney in his well researched book 'How Europe Underdeveloped Africa' revealed that those blacks (slaves) shipped to America, Europe and elsewhere were not only bought, majority were kidnapped by the white men and Arabians trading in human cargo.

Not all Authors are credible @iYkrion,  I believe we have that problem as many people feel because they have the ability to write, they can write trash and then claim it is fact. No White man told me of what Africans did to their own, my own grandmother, who does not even speak english told me of how people were sold into slavery even till the 1900s. She told us of how her own parents told of people who were sold by their own family for quick money. It is not myth. it is our history. I mean we can try to claim we are innocent but look around you and look to history of your own continent to reveal fact from fiction to you when you read whatever it is you read. I don't know where this whole idea of blaming the WHITE MAN FOR ALL came from. History, our own history and stories show how we sold these people to the white man. Have you seen the story THINGS FALL APART? that story is close to what happened. We sold those we did not want to the white man. The White man at first found it hard to find his way through the jungles of africa to get to the villages, he negotiated with chiefs and kings who then for a price sold people to them. I don't believe in denying what happened cause it is bad or too evil for me,  I believe in accepting what happened and then deciding to move forward from there and doing everything I can to make sure it does not happen again. Why do we have to deny the fact that we played a major part in the slave trade? what is so hard to accept in what happened in our past and is still happening to this day, right in front of our noses
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by superman(m): 5:06am On Oct 07, 2007
NONSENSE!!

4GET THE WHITE MAN

NIGERIANS STAND UP!

i think it could be said emm 'what now' that its really funny how some of yall deliberate and argue around on your ideas and your perceptions thinking we as the real Nigerians" true born soldiers will accept your illogical beleives as a PRECEDENCE! u don kolo?

now forget your so called armour or whatever u called it protection ha nobody will be quick to label you a racist but what we already know is we cannot be fooled any longer by people like you, and please dnt worry about what your grand mother told you on this one plsssssssssss course you making me sick. it seemed some human beings took advantages of some suitations unde the condition they were living just like the west and their world bank initially worked along side Abacha? now who do we blame

Now we can beleive everything we read in the white paper but i must tell you when the british goverment said they returned emm the former Governor loot to Nigeria with the exemption of superman didnt beleive the amount stated? now when the former governor said the british goverment is also a 419 in its own kind as the amount that was returned wasnt what he personally looted a lot of people in that can't speak and write good english was quick to come up with their jargons, now as some point then on the british goverment said yes they still have some of the loot! now superman ask why?
Abacha 5 billion oh yea, yall just talkin in your dreams ? we simply cannot be fooled any longer

But i must say as a superman this is , that in the 21st century according to pentegan Bush said America will come down on whoever or country that is harbouring terrosit.
Right, so what that tells us i think is your foolsih chiefs in the days of your grand mam contribution cannot i repeat cannot exonorate the attrocities your evil master did

Nevertheless we understand Nigerians are their worst enemy as the great Nigerian spirit has demonstrated so i think its paramount not to get issues convoluted as it aint doing us no good i think.

So we are not blaming anybody? lets be straight
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by Kobojunkie: 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2007
uummm,  @Superman,  I have absolutely no idea what in the world you are going on about up there so ,  I will wait for you to explain yourself better in your next post. What I typed in my posts stand. This thread is about a grave yard being found. I am not sure I am here to listen to what YOU THINK over what history and even our old people tell us really happened. If that is your argument, then I must tell you, it is ok for you to think that is how it runs in your world and i am ok with that. But when we are discussing issues such as reality, we like to focus on finding out the real truth of what happened and not going on INSULTING persons and feeling that makes some obtuse point we have a valid one. Please focus on the topic and leave my person out of the discussion. That is how to have civil conversations with other adults.
Re: Black Slaves Mass Grave Found In New York by texazzpete(m): 1:12pm On Oct 07, 2007
babasin:

@Ono & Co,

This new discovery of hiding mass graves in NEW YORK should be extended to other US cities, God knows how many blacks were murdered by their 'white masters'

and there must be justice for these atrocities.

Only problem is BLACKS themselves; they remain quiet and never fight for their rights.

Repeat after me. Burial ground is not the same as mass graves. Rinse and repeat, say it over and over again until knowledge permeates through your thick skull.
The fact that half of the bodies were of kids below 12 is not surprising. The conditions the early slaves faced was harsh,a nd coupled with new diesases never before faced by blacks, the young kids were more likely to succumb to death.
Land at that time was at a premium. It was not likely there would be lots of lands for cemeteries,a nd even less for the blacks. Thus a single graveyard was used for the dead blacks.
As per forgetting cemeteris, i can assure you that in the next 100 years, many of our grandchildren will be building houses on former cemeteries,. Land will be at a serious premium in Lagos.

And if by 'Only problem is BLACKS themselves; they remain quiet and never fight for their rights.' you mean ramble on and on with untruths in an internet forum, then count me out. Go through your posts and read 'em over. You'll find you lost credibility when you compared finding a burial ground to the Holocaust. Really, how could you have been so dumb?
Very likely, when the bulk of the obstinate anti-western people come here, you'll have some measure of support (don't even count superman, he's a raving ). But you should know that you've done little to suggest that you're of significant intellect to be of any real use to the development of the black african race. Too much rhetoric, too little brain power.

(0) (1) (Reply)

Top Scientist Claims: Black People Are silly / Inside Human Parts Market In Lagos (caution: Disturbing Picture / What Has Africans Ever Done For African Americans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.