Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? (9189 Views)

Spirit Husband And Wife - A Scaring Issue Within Our Christian Youth. / To Our Christian Brothers... / What Do Our Christian Sisters In The House Have To Say About This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
On the 28th of August 1963, a Baptist Church Pastor led 250,000 (largest crowd in the US capital ever)African Americans to the Lincoln Memorial, Washington to fight for the rights of the Black Man in America. 5 years after, 6.01pm on the 4th of April, 1968, Pastor Martin Luther King was killed for having the audacity to challenge a 140 year status quo. He was killed but today America is a free society. That is faith as exemplified by Christ. Where is the faith of our Bishops and Pastors. Christians should fast and pray today for the nation when we should put action to our faith? Are the pastors not aware that most Nigerians have been fasting for 9 years on less than a $1 a day? Our Christian leaders are proud to host the President and Governors at their convention rather than confront the system. Can you imagine a rally in Abuja with Pastor Adeboye, Bishop Oyedepo, Sam Adeyemi in the front and we their congregation behind them? GEJ will take to his heels, remove subsidy, get power sector working. We will effect a 40year change in 4 hours. Acts of the Apostles is a compendium of actions and not fasting of the Apostles. We are the salt of the earth, salt must enter the hot stew and dissolve to sweeten the cooking. I am not fasting today, I need a march led by our Christian leaders. There is a price to freedom that the church alone can and must pay for our nation to move forward.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
Why do you suddenly need the help of 'charlatans'? You're a selfish hypocrite.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by honeric01(m): 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2012
Because most of them worship with them.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Goshen360(m): 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2012
I dived into same spirit with you my brother. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-839693.0.html
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 3:40pm On Jan 06, 2012
@Image123
Even though they are charlatans they can make themselves useful to the public for once. The reality on ground is that they control a large followership, they are respected and influential + they have political leverage on those in power. They also have the ability to mobilze huge crowds, so they should at least give something back to the numerous Nigerians they milk dry regularly by championing the fight for good governance.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Joagbaje(m): 3:50pm On Jan 06, 2012
There are good things about the subsidy removal. We can channel the money to build refineries , and eventually the price will come down. But the question is trust. How do we trust those in power to use the money aright
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorAIO: 4:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
Here is something interesting that Sanusi Lamido had to say about the subsidies and those that are benefitting from them.

The Fight starts with Greedy Cabal. This is what the Governor of Central Bank [where our Nigeria money dey] Lamido Sanusi had to say about what the activities of the CABAL do to every Nigerian. Please take time to read and understand before you open your big mouth.

'You establish a company for importing 20,000MT of PMS and the PPPRA says this is at a landed cost of N145 for example per litre. So u know that for every litre in that vessel you will get at least N85 as subsidy. Now you have a number of "possibilities":
1. You can off load 5,000 MT and bribe customs and other officials to sign papers confirming u offloaded 20k MT. Then do the same across the chain with a paper trail showing you delivered 20k MT to a tank farm, and maybe even that u transported it to Maiduguri entitling you to a share of the price equalization fund. Maybe for N20-N30 per litre u bribe all those who sign the papers. The 15k MT you take to Benin or Ghana or Cameroun and sell at market price thus makin an additional "profit" of N55/ltr on 15,000MT!
2. You can just forge documents and have them stamped without bringing in anything and collect the subsidy-PPPRA pays based on DOCUMENTS.
3. You can bring in the fuel, load on tankers, sell some at N65N some at 80 some at 100 some across the land borders.
You can do all this and no one can catch it or prove it because somebody was paid to sign off on docs. And with a high enough margin there is too much temptation to be resisted and firepower for bribing officials.
When I spoke to the house of reps I told them why I was suspecting fraud. It starts from PPPRA "allocations" based on "capacity". You will find a company like Mobil with capacity for say 60,000 MT and a relatively unknown name with a capacity of say 90k MT. Red alert number 1.
Although PPPRA is supposed to give license only to marketers with a national distribution network you see names of companies where you have never seen a filling station in their name.
I was a chief risk officer in UBA and in FBN for many years approving loans so I know the name of every big player in every industry that nigerian banks lend to as these are among the biggest banks in the country. I see names on the list I don't recognise either from portfolios. I looked at our industry studies over the years. Red alert number 2.
I studied the papers presented to PPPRA in a short period in 2010 (I won't tell you how I got them!). And I was surprised that on some days over 10 vessels are said to have discharged cargo in lagos on the same day-clearly the same officers stamping and "verifying" that the vessels were SEEN. Is it really realistic that on the same day 13-15 vessels can discharge in Lagos? Red alert number 3.
Why was I interested in fuel marketing. Because the two sectors that led to the near collapse of the banking industry were capital markets and oil marketing. I am not giving any confidential info out as AMCON MD has already disclosed publicly that two companies alone-zenon and AP-owned by the same businessman owed the nigerian banking industry N220b. And we all saw the amount of subsidy paid to those companies published by BusinessDay.
So money had been taken, subsidy had been collected but loans were not repaid, and we couldn't see the money either as product in tank farms or in fuel stations or credit sales. So I became obsessed with trying to understand how that industry operated and the more I saw the more I hated it and I started the war against subsidies.
It is actually better to do a direct cash payout or add a line item to salaries called petroleum support or transport allowance capped at say N300b p/a than to keep paying it. It goes to pay middle men, rent-seekers and corrupt officers and there is no amount of preaching that will stop this fraud so long as the policy is so badly defined.
Everytime oil price goes up and everytime the naira is devalued and everytime the quantity of imports increases the "subsidy" and thus the "rent" increases and there is more gravy to go round. So every year we "import" more and more and deplete our reserves, and the government borrows more and more to pay for subsidy and the beneficiaries are a smal group of marketers, govt officials and neighbouring countries which get fuel without losing forex! And while a person who applies intelligence can see what is happening you can't prove it in a court of law. If the man says he sighted the vessel and it was 20kMT you have to accept it. It was a year ago!
So for two years I have been convinced that this thing is a scam and that it cannot be stopped because the entire controls have been compromised. NNPC sells domestic crude, Pays whatever subsidy PPPRA says and then gives the balance after JVC to the federation account. And while Fani Kayode is right to speak up, the truth is that it was Obasanjo who first subverted the process by allowing NNPC to make the deductions before paying into federation account. Because once money goes into that account it is to be shared among 3 tiers of government so strictly speaking the deductions have always been unconstitutional as the FG was paying subsidy on behalf of itself and state and LGs without their approval.

I think that the nigerian government is a red herring and a useful distraction for those that are really destroying the country.  When things go wrong people are directed to the government to complain, but the problem is a lot more subtle than that. 

Nigeria is being ruled by very very powerful cabals.  The Fuel marketing cabal is one of them.  They have an active interest in making sure that electricity is not available to nigerian via NEPA.
The pentecostal churchs are themselves another very powerful cabal.  And whenever anyone complains about them they will point at GEJ and say, why don't you complain to your government.

History has always been the struggle between some powerful people against another lot of powerful people.  And those who suffer the most are the poor man on the street.  Like they say in 9ja, when 2 elephants are fighting it is the grass that suffers.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 4:16pm On Jan 06, 2012
Pastor Kun:

@Image123
Even though they are charlatans they can make themselves useful to the public for once. The reality on ground is that they control a large followership, they are respected and influential + they have political leverage on those in power. They also have the ability to mobilze huge crowds, so they should at least give something back to the numerous Nigerians they milk dry regularly by championing the fight for good governance.
So, as charlatans, what is their gain? At least, we know what you'd gain now that you seem to need the help of charlatans?
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorAIO: 4:38pm On Jan 06, 2012
Image123:

So, as charlatans, what is their gain? At least, we know what you'd gain now that you seem to need the help of charlatans?

They might yet have plenty to gain from their ability to control crowds. That is a serious power. A friend of mine came from lagos recently and he told me that CEC organised a march through lagos and Lagos shook. He saw it as sabre rattling. They were flexing their muscles and people really felt that these guys were a force to be reckoned with. By that I mean a political force, not a spiritual one.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 06, 2012
Image123:

If they are real, they've got the ears of the people. A member of my church knows more about the church hierarchy (Senior Pastor, Area Pastor, Zonal Pastor blalbla) than about government hierarchy. He would rather obey his 'Man of God' than obey the 'Governor'.

If they are fake, they've still got the 'motivational' factor (taking into account the church size of some of these churches), just like Criss Angels, WWE and Big Brother.

Should Christian Leaders be silent on National Issues? Or mind their business as usual?
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 8:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
Image123:

Where's kunle na, i also like to hear from the horse's mouth(as an habit ithink). At least, they're not going to change charlatan status in your sights, would they? What exactly do you fink they stand to gain, it's clear what you stand to gain and that you seem to need the charlatans.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by ogajim(m): 8:51pm On Jan 06, 2012
The Rev. MLK paid the ultimate price to see his people gain equality, he could have been "settled" nicely if he wanted to be he chose to side with the people and today he's got a national holiday and a monument that most former presidents don't have and will never have.

Closer to Nigeria, the Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Rev. Allan Boesak could have benefited from the system and instead sided with the people to raise the consciousness of every one home and abroad to the evils of Aparthied.

I doubt any of these folks collected tithes and offerings before doing the right thing, Nigeria na wa!
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 9:23pm On Jan 06, 2012
Mercy mercy, now 'charlatans' and MLK are side by side, new things are happening this new year indeed. Maybe i need to take those 2012 prophecies more seriously. Please supply biblical examplesexample too with references. You guys might actually have a solid case here.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by aletheia(m): 9:24pm On Jan 06, 2012
@OP: Would Jesus have mobilized people to go out on the streets to protest Government policies? I think not. In any case, matters of fuel subsidies must be considered "things of this world." The removal of fuel subsidy is really inconsequential, especially when seen against this:

MEMBERS of the Boko Haram sect, on Wednesday evening, killed two members of a family; an 80-year-old man, Usman Durkwa and his 40-year-old son, Musa Durkwa

A source in the family told the Nigerian Tribune that, “we are Christians and their children have been telling our wards that some day, they are going to slaughter all of us.
[center].
.[/center]
According to Christians who spoke to the Nigerian Tribune, they heard that Boko Haram was planning massive destruction of lives and properties in places of worship, as well as security offices across some states, but that no amount of threat by any group in whatever name would make them abandon their faith or flee.
[center].
.[/center]
“It is God that gives life and it is only God that can take life; even the Muslims know this. This is not the first time Christians are being persecuted. In fact, persecution is part of Christian living, because even Christ was persecuted, as such let it be clear to the Boko Haram that we are not deterred, when they raise the arms of men to fight us because of our belief.

“The plan to destroy Christianity did not begin in Borno, Damaturu or anywhere they are thinking. Yet Christianity has flourished many years before Islam when much persecution was done to the Christians of the old time; we are confident in our belief and God will fight our battles,” Yonnana Manzo told the Nigerian Tribune.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 06, 2012
aletheia:

@OP: Would Jesus have mobilized people to go out on the streets to protest Government policies? I think not. In any case, matters of fuel subsidies must be considered "things of this world." The removal of fuel subsidy is really inconsequential, especially when seen against this:

LMAO,
So let's keep praying for those in authority. Let's support or ignore draconian rule. Did Jesus say 'taxes were of this world' when he was asked a question regarding tax?

And you wonder why so many atheists had a Christian upbringing,
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by aletheia(m): 9:42pm On Jan 06, 2012
^You know the answer to the question I asked. . .so I will leave it at that. Jesus' answer to the question on taxes further buttresses that point. I am sure you can distinguish between what belongs to Caesar's and what belongs to God.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 06, 2012
You know what belongs to Ceasar, You know what belongs to God, what belongs to the people?

Nothing. They are mere slaves. They should have no say. Shut them up in the name of Jesus.

Therefore, MLK was not a good Christian. Afterall racism was nothing back then.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by nedostic: 10:38pm On Jan 06, 2012
methinks that most of these so called MOG are insensitive to the needs of their flocks let alone caring for other Nigerian folks. It still beats my imagination to see MOG living in flamboyant lifestyle yet their flocks and other Nigerians are living in misery. Christianity is all about brotherly love which is demonstrative both in action and reaction and in tandem moderacy.

Nigerians must all stand up against fuel subsidy. This policy is anti-Nigerians and equally ill-timed.The President owes it to Nigerians to accede to the demands of Nigerians if his claims of servant-leader is anything to by.

I do not see the good of such an ill-timed policy, Nigeria as a country is fully dependent on fuel for survival in all sectors. The removal of fuel subsidy would have a vicious multiplier effect on the Nigeria economy and equally a conduit pipe for most political office holders to continually loot the treasury since the gains of the policy would be corned by the same political office holders.

The question the government of the day should be bothered about is the insecurity brouhaha in the Northern part of the country that is gradually creeping into the Southern part. I hope this does not spell doom to our economy since it would lead to outflow of FDIs and possibly heighten the tension in the over bloated labour market. It is glaring that we cannot move on as a country if we cannot collectively combat insecurity.

Nigerians are yearning for a change but I have always believed that change only comes by acting. Its time we all take our destiny into our hands and the impending strike action is one of the decent ways we can make our yearnings well known to the government of the day.

It is pertinent to separate religion from politics. My observation so far about Nigeria is that it is a country where hypocrisy thrives at the expense of religion.It is important we practise what we preach and try to live within the means of our income. l am beginning to think that the prosperity message though its inspirational in nature it lacks some core christian and societal values as it is presently preached on most pews by most of the so called MOG.

Prosperity sermon is good but it must be mixed with the basic biblical ingredients of moderacy,brotherly love,handwork,righteousness, passion for excellence,and other virtues.

God bless Nigerians!
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by LagosShia: 10:49pm On Jan 06, 2012
when the President is kneeling down to a mega millionaire pastor,do you expect the pastors to go against their "son"?

haba!
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by goggs(m): 11:03pm On Jan 06, 2012
Just Google Bishop hassan kukah+fuel subsidy under the news section. also try onayakan. and other major pastors. when you get your answer you'll know their stand. tongue
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by goggs(m): 11:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
Just Google Bishop hassan kukah+fuel subsidy under the news section. also try onayakan. and other major pastors. when you get your answer you'll know their stand.  tongue
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorAIO: 11:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
aletheia:

For Jesus to do so would be for him to send the people to their death.  In fact the Jews did 'go out into the streets to protest' a few decades later.  That was the end of Israel as a country up until 1948.  The Romans massacred them.  Jesus did not live under the government by the people for the people so the people airing their voices was not a viable political option.  

However Jesus did heal sick people and feed people and take care of their physical needs as much as their spiritual needs so I do not think that any action for the improvement of the people is contrary to what Christ would have done.  Please I hope that is not what you were suggesting.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by 3kay945(m): 11:31pm On Jan 06, 2012
They too wil be affected atleast the tithe wil deceased.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 12:34am On Jan 07, 2012
So AIO, in other words, you're saying Jesus would today mobilize the people to protest against a 'democratic' government's policy?
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Demainman1: 2:30am On Jan 07, 2012
^^^^^ Because Jesus will not mobilise people against the authority so your MOG is right not to?

Did Jesus collect tithe from the people? So why is your MOG a tithe collector?
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 6:33am On Jan 07, 2012
^^^
Abi oh when it comes to collecting tithe, they greedily collect even when there is no evidence in the bible that Jesus or the apostles collected tithes but now when it comes to standing and fighting for the welfare of this same people they are feeding fat on, they are saying would Jesus lead a demonstration? Or 'it is not biblical' since when did these pentecostal pastors start using the bible as their authority? After all most of them twist it to suit their whims and caprices.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 7:49am On Jan 07, 2012
You should both answer the questions posed instead of seeking for trouble like motor park touts. Prejudiced souls.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by kaykaybaba(m): 9:44am On Jan 07, 2012
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/10/31/pastor-sam-adeyemi-kicks-against-fuel-subsidy/

a lot of them have voiced opinions as well. I believe its simply not filtered into the media yet
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 10:42am On Jan 07, 2012
It's not about timidly voicing opinions, it's about using their position to champion the cause of the people and lead in the war against injustice in the land.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by kaykaybaba(m): 11:43am On Jan 07, 2012
Na wa o. When it was thought that they didn't voice opinions, people shouted that they should. Now they have, and people are asking them to be the vanguard. I'm sure if they go ahead to lead protests there will be a thousand people saying they are being irresponsible. People just can't be satisfied. I daresay the loudest voices criticizing these pastors are from people who haven't stirred from their couches or contributed to the protests in anyway since this crises began. Internet warriors angry angry
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2012
Will one Bishop now slap Jona for carrying '' winch '' for the petrol mafia people abi na only the little gal from Imo state suppose collect igbati for carrying '' winch '' for jesus , I dey laugh. Infact, i challenge Oyedepo to slap just one '' boko haram '' guy.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by fred2265: 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six Ways To Express Love For God / Bible Babble - Contradictions In The Holy Bible / Top 10 Most Religious Countries In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.