Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,608 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars (4345 Views)

15 Luxury Cars Abandoned In Dubai / Luxury Cars: 2010 C300,new Range Rover Onyx Ed. 2013,cl Coupe,e55 2006 For Sale / 10 Most Expensive Luxury Cars In The World, Volvo Is Most Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ladapo(m): 1:38pm On Oct 06, 2007

The Infiniti G37 Coupe gets all-new styling and a new 3.7-liter (hence the ''37'' in G37) V6 engine. It will set you back at leaste $33,200

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by tox22: 4:18am On Oct 21, 2007
if this is your idea of a joke please stop it. If this is what you anticipate as a luxury car my friend eeeeh. well let me not be too harsh. I saw your post and I was hoping to see something interesting like the new Lexus Lx 570 or Ls 600hl. a car that literally parks it self. and and has rear seat that tilt over 30 degrees and moves from 0-60 in a little over 5 seconds that is luxury my friend please.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by sultaan(m): 4:42am On Oct 21, 2007
[size=30pt]2008 Cadillac CTS[/size]

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 7:00pm On Nov 27, 2007
I go way back to the 4-door Porsche.  The '95 E500.  It's the only sedan that can slice and dice in traffic at 150 mph.  Highly engineered for the world's deadliest racetrack, Nürburgring.  It negotiates it's corners at high speed.

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by DisGuy: 2:01am On Nov 28, 2007
That Cadillac is ugggggggly! i'm sure its made in usa
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 4:18am On Nov 28, 2007
Dis Guy:

That Cadillac is ugggggggly! i'm sure its made in usa

Most definitely!

Where else would you see a space boat running with cars on the road.  My personal opinion is it's aerodynamically a mess.  ,  and people will wonder why it guzzles gas and fishtails at extreme speeds.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 4:40am On Nov 28, 2007
I have always loved the Benz. There is just something about these cars. Is it the smoothness or the durability? It beats me. But in 2008, the S550 and the S600 are my luxury cars of choice.

While I'm never going to own these vehicles, I can always fantasize.

Rumor has it that these cars are known to make the blind man see and the deaf hear. The cool comfy leather seats are scientifically proven to cure any form of insomnia and the brushed metal and wood finishes can rectify your harmattan-dried skin.  

For a base price of roughly $120,000, I can only wonder what our fat-necked thieving politicians and the few who have the resources to purchase such a rare beauty enjoy.

Na who say money no good?

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 4:46am On Nov 28, 2007
@Torx

The only car that parrallel parks itself is the S500 and S550.  This isn't new and requires a lot more inputs from the user/driver.  Some of the toureg model has parking assistance (self park).  

Lexus copied and marketed their brand with this concept but failed.  Owners of 460's were refunded their $500 option back as the parrallel parking technology was no success.  The entire concept is embroided in control systems which is a complicated discipline in Mechanical Engineering.  La' Place theorem (central limit) and tonnes of integration.  Benz boasts of their efficiency in this field.  

If you are familiar with Mercedes Benz and the meaning of their star symbol, you'll understand why they won't boast nor flaunt their technologies when they implement them.  There is a difference between the civil and the military order.  Imagine a sub engine with over 60,000 horsepower (one out of two) and engine running, a single sound cannot be heard.  Add a second engine to that!  This sub is double-hauled and not a it's grave silent.  

The company that spend 20 million dollars a day on research across it's A|G cannot be compared to one that relies on lean manufacturing.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 4:47am On Nov 28, 2007
I didn't know Mercedes had the S600 of this year.  The S550 is approx $180000 and not $120000.  If it wasn't for the logo, I'd have thought it was a 7 Series. I still love the '98 S600 and to date, it's the world's best luxury car.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Jakumo(m): 6:04am On Nov 28, 2007
The folks who design cars and SUVs for Cadillac must be laboring under acute substance abuse debilitation because they do come up with some of the most profoundly UGLY and hideous vehicle designs imaginable, as a couple of people have observed here.

A prime example of Cadillac's most horrid creations is the Cadillac Escalade SUV which has become the vehicle of choice for illiterate American rappers and basketball players, who proudly cruise around in those monstrosities imagining that everyone who points at them is doing so out of envy rather than disgusted amusement.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 11:21pm On Nov 28, 2007
Ivvie:

I didn't know Mercedes had the S600 of this year.  The S550 is approx $180000 and not $120000.  If it wasn't for the logo, I'd have thought it was a 7 Series.  I still love the '98 S600 and to date, it's the world's best luxury car.

Dawg, the base price isn't that high and check out this links below. These are before tax.

http://www.carsdirect.com/2008/mercedesbenz/s550

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/2008-Mercedes%20Benz-S/S-S600-291696/

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2008-mercedes-benz-s-class-2.htm

Seems to me it depends on the specifications included.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by promise72(m): 5:58am On Nov 29, 2007
@ Ivvie,

Is that your E500? or your friend's? One of the baddest car on the planet. While you are at it, dont forget the 1972 6.3, the 1980 6.9, the 190 16V . o my my . i dream and wish grin
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2007
@Promise

It isn't mine.  It belongs to fellow somewhere at PA who owns a lineup of special made Mercs and a E500.  I have been looking for one for two years now and it seems no one wants to give it up.  I met a fellow wanting to sell his for $34,000 (pristine and record stats).  The value holds up as Porsches.  I drove one with an AMG monoblock wheel and it was g-o-o-o-d.  In no time, you become addicted to switching lanes as you burrow effortlessly through the freeway. 

It's pure pleasure.  I haven't looked back since. 

I did see the 6.3, I think it was a 280SEL (not too sure). It was white and was being restored. The owner said there was a version of the 6.3 that was so fast that the tires of the time couldn't hold up to the speed. What amused me was the fuel injection.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 4:44pm On Nov 29, 2007
16V Evolution - Mercedes called it "Quits" after it's success. It's the only 4 Cylinder that I know that will smoke most V8's. I just don't trust buying cars off eBay many cars have been reported not to exist.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by proo212(m): 8:50pm On Nov 29, 2007
@Ivvie,

You guys must really be suffering in the US. FYI even VW Golfs and Passats in Germany can park themselves. Obviously you have to specify it as an optional extra but the technology is available to the cheaper alternatives.

I'm sure you know more cars can switch lanes at 150mph not just the 500E. Any BMW with the twin-turbo straight six can do that even the Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo is more than capable of 150mph

I know you're in love with the 500E but I'm sure you know there are also more than a few cars that can match the speed and agility of the Merc. Actually too many to mention in this day and age.

I give it to you, the 500E was a cracker when it came out (it still is). A BMW M635CSi can also breeze through traffic at 150mph and that came before the 500E!

The 190E 2.5 16v was based on the Merc the ran in the touring car series. A road going version o fthe car must be created before you can race you creation. Reason why we have the likes of the BMW M3 and the Audi RS series as well Volvo 850R (Terminator)
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2007
Proo212

You cannot compare the dynamics of the E500 (W124) to any BMW ever made. You should be able to differ engineering from technology. I'm not a fan of speed but vehicular dynamics. All american cars are fast in a straight line, that is far from impressive.

Parktronic / Quick Park and other bells and whistles using Control Systems/Central Limit theory doesn't attract my attention one bit. There isn't a car built today that would get my attention. I do have access to a few but it's just vanity unless it's precisely engineered.

The 635 cannot match with any Porsche and the 500E is a 4-door Porsche. Porsche builds the highest performance production cars to date. The centripetal force alone on the E500 is so high that a curve banked for 25 MPH can be negotiated at 60MPH and more and few cars slice through traffic over 100MPH. 635 should be a 6 cylinder; two cylinders shorter than 500E yet zero effect of reciprocating mass when cutting corners. If you understand the principles of motion, you'd conclude that cars where last built in the mid 90's.

I won't go anywhere near the 16v Evo. The handling of that car is like you are video gaming at high speeds. Today they build trash and equip them with stability control.

Do not even mention a Volvo. Volvo engines are hot-rodded engines and the R's are , A complete joke and a categorical rip off. M3's have no torque just horsepower and that does you no good.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 9:54pm On Nov 29, 2007
proo212:

@Ivvie,
I'm sure you know more cars can switch lanes at 150mph not just the 500E. Any BMW with the twin-turbo straight six can do that even the Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo is more than capable of 150mph

Theoretically, a well built 6 Cylinder should outperform an 8 Cylinder in a close circ. race track. I guarantee you that the cars you just mentioned will not be two corners behind the E500, though they are two cylinders shorter. No car eliminates dynamical mass as Mercedes and Porsche.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by proo212(m): 11:04pm On Nov 29, 2007
Ivvie:

Theoretically, a well built 6 Cylinder should outperform an 8 Cylinder in a close circ. race track. I guarantee you that the cars you just mentioned will not be two corners behind the E500, though they are two cylinders shorter. No car eliminates dynamical mass as Mercedes and Porsche.

I'm sorry my friend, you talking from your backside on that one. If you have a soft spot for a Mercedes 500E or even any Mercedes for that matter, you can be forgiven for being so passionate about them. Let's call a spade a spade, Porsches being in a different class of their own because they are not bound by the 'Gentleman Agreement' in Germany to limit their cars to 250Km/h. Of course you cannot compare the handling of a Volvo 850R or a Fiat Coupe Turbo 20v to a Merc 500E but they can match the electronically limited top speed!

Agreed Porsche built the 500E, so I will cut you a little bit of slack on that one, but come on, even we in Germany know that for absolute driving pleasure, driving dynamics, you drive a BMW and not a Mercedes.

Perhaps the best cars in the world in terms of pure engineering for normal everyday cars.

Only of late are Mercedes challenging BMW for pure driving dynamics. The M-Badged versions consistently edge the AMGs. The new C63 AMG is the odd one out in this regard. It gave the new M3 a run for its money. The new M3 whilst powerful is not as torquey as the new 6.2 litre AMG engine.

But I will still bet my bottom dollar that a BMW M5 or M635CSi was/is more than match a Mercedes 500E.

In 1991, this second generation of the M5 got competition from the Mercedes Benz 500E and less important the Opel Lotus Omega with it’s twin turbo charged 3.6 litre engine. Despite the fact that the 500E was not as fast as an E34 M5 3.6 litre in sheer performance, the 500E with it’s 5,0 litre V8 and automatic gearbox was the better autobahn performer. But on twisty of the autobahns or on the track, the E34 M5 was the better performing car. In 1992, BMW enlarged the engine of the E34 M5 to 3795cc. Not in the first place to yield more power, but to improve fuel consumption and tractability. The new 3.8 litre engine yielded 347 DIN hp at 6900RPM and 409NM (295 lb.ft) from 4750RPM. Acceleration for 0 to 100km/h improved to 5.9sec and if not the top speed was electronically limited, the E34 M5 could reach more than 270km/h (170mp/h). Other improvements for the 1992 European M5 was a new adaptive suspension with gas filled Boge shock absorbers. Sensors located at different parts of the car measures the body roll and when necessary the shock absorbers became stiffer to improve handling. As an option, the so called Nurburgring option was available which allowed the driver to play with the stiffness of the suspension. From 1992, BMW also offered the M5 also as touring. With only 891 M5 tourings built, this is quite a rare car.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 11:53pm On Nov 29, 2007
@Pro012

You still aren't getting my point. I am not referring to power but dynamics. Any car can torpedo from 0 to a 100km but not many can stop from a 100 to 0 in so little time. Dynamics and control is where the challenge is; that is why we have the word "racing" and also "drag-race."

There are race tracks in the city I live, speed will not help you. The E500 is known as a 4-door Porsche. You can always take the "pen" off any car by remapping your engine management so, it doesn't make Porsche at any advantage against Germen regulations.

I test drove a BMW 5.30i and it did not hold up at high speed as an E Class does. Also, the drive isn't refined in freeway courtesy. It's also rough and harsh unlike the firm and supple ride you get of the Mercs.

I don't read nor acknowledge what and how they define a vehicle. The blue print does. Certain details classifies the vehicle and not what Car and Driver says. Consider drag, lift, centripetal force at different tangential point, down force at leveled corners and other factors that conclude explicit enginuity before coming to a finite conclusion. It took 12 years for the 124 chassis and 17 years to design the limited and worked closely with Porsche to implement it.

You can propel as fast as you want but your handling at those speeds as you cut corners is what matters.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by proo212(m): 1:34am On Nov 30, 2007
Mr,

you keep contradicting yourself. Europeans can be quite smug about American knowledge of cars! You cannot begin to compare the A/B Class and the 1-Series or Mini or even the Audi A3. There is no contest. Mercedes redeemed itself with the new S-Class. I don't particularly like it but I think it's fantastic car. BMW launches a new 7 Series next year, so I'm waiting to see what happens when these cars are pitted against each other! I'm not a BMW fan but I give props when one is due. Like said before I drive a Mercedes CLK only because most of the people here drive a 3-Series and I wanted to be different. The BMW 3-Series coupe is more involving.

In Germany where these cars are made, BMW has a better image when it comes to driving pleasure and dynamics. There are more BMW company cars than Mercedes, even Audi is not far behind. I really don't know how else to put it. If I didn't live here, I might be arguing blindly. Mercedes is trying to appeal to the younger market with better designs and better dynamics. It is happening already. I believe the new E-class coming out end of next year will be more dynamic just like the new S-Class and the C-Class have been.

530i Vs E320 Vs Audi A6 3.2
When it comes down to it, victory does not go to the Mercedes. Even though it was launched just two years ago, in early 2002, the strong-selling E-class is already beginning to show its age. It is well packaged and terrific-looking and has a great overall image, but it is disappointing on the road. Compared with the 530i and the A6, the E320 has the most sluggish driveline, the least engaging steering, and the spongiest brakes. In addition, its chassis is neither particularly comfortable nor very sporty.

If the 530i is the best-handling car, then the Audi must be the most compelling all-arounder. The A6 wins by a nose-despite the choppy ride and the less than compelling steering. Its engine produces more midrange punch, it is fitted with the most intuitive transmission, and it has the best brakes, the nicest cabin, and the most appealing ergonomics. The A6 also eclipses its rivals in terms of traction and stability, and it is comprehensively equipped. It is the pragmatic and rational choice. Although the new A6 may not be the ultimate driving machine, it does offer a greater variety of talents than its esteemed rivals.

C350 Vs 330i Vs IS350
As it stands, the C350 looks identical to its entry-level stablemate, the C230. All said and done, the Benz came across as quick, capable, and subdued. A sleeper. Did it just not wake us up? When the ballots were submitted and the votes counted, there were two cars ahead of the Benz--the winner and the biggest threat to the winner. Guess which car won? The BMW 330i of course
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 2:36am On Nov 30, 2007
@Pro

wrt to 530i, I test drove it before concluding on my car purchase at the time.

I have been referring to E500, W124 chassis to car (and cars yet to be made). Mercedes has made 3 milestones in performance and that is 280SEL, E500 and the E65 in the E-Series. I have no idea about Audi's, C Classes, Volvo's nor BMW's. I don't own one and don't care about them. You'll have to prove to me in dynamics of mechanism how these vehicles you claim supercedes the 500E. That is all I am stressing here. Some Corvettes are faster (60 under 3 sec) but if the dynamics to the performance car stinks, then it's good only in a straight line. Keep in mind that this car has no driving aid unlike cars today. Newer have PLC's and PAC that assist yet with all the extra's, they don't match up.

Handling and Control is what I am speculating on.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 2:45am On Nov 30, 2007
proo212:

530i Vs E320 Vs Audi A6 3.2
When it comes down to it, victory does not go to the Mercedes. Even though it was launched just two years ago, in early 2002, the strong-selling E-class is already beginning to show its age. It is well packaged and terrific-looking and has a great overall image, but it is disappointing on the road. Compared with the 530i and the A6, the E320 has the most sluggish driveline, the least engaging steering, and the spongiest brakes. In addition, its chassis is neither particularly comfortable nor very sporty.

I won't go down on details about auto design 'cause this isn't a forum on it.  fuel to motion vehicle, they fall in two categories.  High performance at low RPM and rubbish at high rpm or low or no performance at low rpm and a beast at high RPM.  Some manufacturers look for the midpoint for best at both ends.  All Benzes are built for high rpm performances with logged exhaust system with dual or quad enthalpy system.  E320's and all S Classes also start from the second gear.  BMW start from the first gear and the 530i isn't logged except for the M series.  I don't know if you know it's strength but put a full load on a 320 and race down the free way.  You haven't stress/strain the engine.  No throttle difference.  The transmission just wouldn't kick down.  You'll have the front end wobbling in a BMW because it's isn't designed for such.  It'll high rpm and the transmission will hunt for gears.  I did 130mph with my loaded 320 when I had rush a friend to the airport for an international flight that he overslept on.  A 50 min journey was covered under 20 min.  I would have full throttled but I was concerned for my tires.  The E320 may not be a performance vehicle ('cause fuel economy is it's priority) but it sure is better than the other vehicles in its class.

You may not know what I am talking about but you'll appreciate true engineering when you it's limits.

, just forget everything, we aren't talking on the same plane.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 3:02am On Nov 30, 2007
Aaaaah stop it, shhhh! Moment of silence.

Behold the 2008 Bentley Continental GT.

And while you'all at ya necks fighting over the BM or the Merc, the Bentley sings "don't you wish your girlfriend was fine like me-----don't you" hahaha.

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 3:10am On Nov 30, 2007
This is the Maserati Gran Turismo 08.

I will bet you, this car will definitely not last in Nigeria.

Imagine this for Ojuelegba, with the driver saying, "fine girl how are you"?

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2007
2008 BMW 750 Li

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 5:26pm On Nov 30, 2007
The 2008 BMW 760 Li.

What do you think about the lights?

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2007
'08 Infiniti QX56.

Base price roughly $60,000 which is equivalent to 10000000000000000000000 cups of garri  grin grin grin

There is not much difference with the 2007.

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by thirdi(m): 6:16pm On Nov 30, 2007
Hi all
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by proo212(m): 7:50pm On Nov 30, 2007
Mr Ivvie,

The 530i is more economical than the E320 so your point is moot. Go and comapre the figures and come back to me on that one.

Yes you like the Mecedes, everybody knows that. Your argument is emotional. Let's talk about dynamics, driving pleasure and even fuel economy. (Figures, reports from car testers)

At Okeyjazz, sadly the Bentley and the Maserati are in a different category.

Infiniti QX56 is not even worthy of a mention here.
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Okejazz(m): 7:52pm On Nov 30, 2007
Top of the line is the Maybach 57S 2008.

Those of you still test-driving cars, it will most likely cost you a pretty penny with regard to this.

Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by Ivvie: 8:21pm On Nov 30, 2007
Pro0212

I told you to forget it.  Don't think you made a point; you are yet to learn powertrain and advance kinematics.

Peace
Re: 2008’s Most Anticipated Luxury Cars by PAPABOMBOY: 8:52pm On Nov 30, 2007
I swear money really dey disgrace person for we yonder. Chei, see moto, see whitie. Man don die for this world o. I go cry o.

Omo nna (Oga okeyjazz, no vex), make you show us the latest Okada too nah. You don forget sey this nah luxury too?

(1) (2) (Reply)

SOLD SOLD SOLD.call nw.price reduced.2000 Model Bmw X5 Forsale(very Neat) / 1999 Toyota Camry LE, Tokunbo, American Spec, Now 900k. / Toyota Camry For Sale (nigerian Used) SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.