Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,098 members, 7,807,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? (1945 Views)

What Exactly Do Christ Mean In Matthew 5: 38-41? / Secret Exposed! Why Do Christ Embassy Pastors Perm Their Hair,like Pastor Chris! / Walk In Gods Perfect Will (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? by kingdom: 11:21am On Mar 15, 2006
Infact i wonder sometime when people say christ is God and God Chris bet yet Christ make it known to us that he dose nothing accept his father ask him to do so. then how come they are equal at thesame time one? please let me hear Ur views

1 Like

Re: What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? by choiceA: 9:50pm On Mar 15, 2006
kingdom,

It is not some people who say that Christ is God - it is there in the Bible. The moment you begin to doubt the Word of God, then you'll have countless reasons to argue and doubt who Jesus Christ claimed to be in Himself. No one can completely explain the Trinity - that is the one mystery among a few others that the human mind cannot grasp. Why? For the simple reason that the finite mind of man cannot know everything about the infinite God. "Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?" [Job 11:7]. That is not to say that we cannot know anything at all about God - His nature, character and work. But first, who really is Jesus Christ - only a man born in time and space, or the very God Himself who became incarnate for our salvation?

Is Christ God?

1. The New Testament
John 1:1 boldly proclaims: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." There is no doubt that the Word in that verse is pointing to Jesus Christ when you compare with Rev.19:13 - "his name is called The Word of God." Many have accused the apostle John of giving Jesus Christ the status of Godhood; but he is not the only disciple to have spoken of Christ's deity. Jesus Himself claimed the divine title 'Lord' in John 13:13 - "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am." That is the one title that Christians have confessed about Jesus Christ down through the ages, and which continues to draw persecution from all quarters. Not long after the Church was established, a young conservative Jew appeared on the scene, breathing fire and arresting any Christian he could find. After encountering the living Christ on the Damascus road Acts 9:1-6, Paul, who formerly had attacked Christians for daring to call Jesus 'Lord', fearlessly proclaimed His deity throughout his ministry. Notice how through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Paul declares both the humanity and deity of Christ in Rom.9:5 - "To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen." [ESV - English Standard Version]

2. The Old Testament
Isn't it true that the deity of Christ is a New Testament doctrine that is not found in the Old Testament? No, for indeed several OT prophets clearly mentioned or indicated that the Messiah to come was God Himself. Isaiah calls the Child to be given by the divine name "The Mighty God." (Isa.9:5). Zachariah shows that the very God who said He would pour out the Spirit of grace and supplications upon the house of David, was the Messiah Himself - the One whom they would pierce: "they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced" (Zech.12:10). David in Spirit called Him 'Lord' (see Psa.110:1 and Matt.22:41-45). Several other OT texts speak about the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ.

In my follow-up response shortly, I'll try to share the roles of Christ in God's economy.

1 Like

Re: What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? by choiceA: 9:59pm On Mar 15, 2006
So, What Role Did Christ Play in God's Economy?

In creation, redemption and worship, Christ was not any less 'God' than the Father and the Spirit. Everything that exists -visible and invisible - came into being by Jesus Christ, and He upholds and sustains them: "For by Him (that is, Christ) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. [Col. 1:16-17; see Heb.1:3 and John 1:3 also]. This is not to say that the Father and the Spirit were passive in creation. "Thou sendest forth thy Spirit, they are created: and Thou renewest the face of the earth." [Psa. 104:30] This Psalm highlights the active roles of the Father and the Spirit in creation - the Spirit also creating, and the Father renewing.

In worship, the equal glory of the Father and the Son is demonstrated in Jesus' teaching about honouring God the Father in John 5:23 - "That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him." That clearly is calling for equal honour to both the Father and the Son and nothing else will do. The import of this is to safeguard any notion that the Son is a lesser 'God' than the Father and the Spirit. In Jesus' prayer in John 17:5, it is clear that the Son had the same glory with the Father from time past: "And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed."[ESV]

The Trinity at Work - Sharing Together

All this just simply go to show one thing: in the operations of God, the Trinity is together involved in every single detail. If you try to separate and assign individual roles to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the confusion will be endless. In creation, redemption, worship and instruction, the Trinity is involved in such a harmonious way that it becomes difficult to examine the operations of any one Member of the Trinity without finding the others as much involved in the same activity simultaneously.

The Father teaches (or, instructs) as Jesus pointed out in John 6:45 - "It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me." In Neh.9:20 the Spirit teaches - "Thou gavest also thy good Spirit to instruct them" (see the teaching ministry of the Spirit mentioned by Christ in John 14:26). Then in Matt.11:29, Jesus asks us to learn of Him - "Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me."

When the Father sent the Son in redemption, both were seen together with the Spirit working to bring about the blessing of salvation. Jesus proclaimed that the Father had not left Him a single moment all by Himself - "And He that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." [John 8:29]. The Spirit of God brings conviction to the hearts of people concerning the fact that the Father sent the Son (John 16:10). Then again, Jesus reveals that as the Father was always engaged in divine work, so also He (the Son) was working - "But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work." (John 5:17). The only one time when the Father forsook the Son is when our sins were judged on Jesus Christ upon the cross (Matt.27:46).

To believe in Christ is to believe in God as well - that is expressly declared by Jesus Christ: "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me." (John 14:1). Conversely, to hate the Son is to hate the Father also - "He that hateth Me hateth my Father also" (John 15:23). All that the Father has belongs to the Son as well - "All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you" (John 16:15). "And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them." (John 17:10). And it is in the name of the Trinity that believers are baptized - "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." (Matt.28:19).

This is as much as I could express it in finite terms, and it is by no means stating everything about the relationship in the Trinity. The one thing to note therefore from the foregoing is that Christ is indeed God and He is seen playing a very significant role in the divine operatives that none else could have assumed unless such a Being is equally God Himself. Only He who is God can claim the same things and status as God Himself claims - whether in worship or rights over creation. And when Jesus Christ claimed divine titles and honours as we have seen, there is only one conclusion to draw from this: He was claiming to be God Himself.
Re: What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? by Amujale(m): 1:08pm On Apr 08, 2020
Jesus is a fictitious character that ever existed.
Re: What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? by Amujale(m): 1:09pm On Apr 08, 2020
Jesus is a fake god.
Re: What Role Do Christ Play In Gods Arrangement? by Janosky: 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
choiceA:
kingdom,

It is not some people who say that Christ is God - it is there in the Bible. The moment you begin to doubt the Word of God, then you'll have countless reasons to argue and doubt who Jesus Christ claimed to be in Himself. No one can completely explain the Trinity - that is the one mystery among a few others that the human mind cannot grasp. Why? For the simple reason that the finite mind of man cannot know everything about the infinite God. "Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?" [Job 11:7]. That is not to say that we cannot know anything at all about God - His nature, character and work. But first, who really is Jesus Christ - only a man born in time and space, or the very God Himself who became incarnate for our salvation?

Is Christ God?

1. The New Testament
John 1:1 boldly proclaims: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." There is no doubt that the Word in that verse is pointing to Jesus Christ when you compare with Rev.19:13 - "his name is called The Word of God." Many have accused the apostle John of giving Jesus Christ the status of Godhood; but he is not the only disciple to have spoken of Christ's deity. Jesus Himself claimed the divine title 'Lord' in John 13:13 - "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am." That is the one title that Christians have confessed about Jesus Christ down through the ages, and which continues to draw persecution from all quarters. Not long after the Church was established, a young conservative Jew appeared on the scene, breathing fire and arresting any Christian he could find. After encountering the living Christ on the Damascus road Acts 9:1-6, Paul, who formerly had attacked Christians for daring to call Jesus 'Lord', fearlessly proclaimed His deity throughout his ministry. Notice how through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Paul declares both the humanity and deity of Christ in Rom.9:5 - "To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen." [ESV - English Standard Version]

2. The Old Testament
Isn't it true that the deity of Christ is a New Testament doctrine that is not found in the Old Testament? No, for indeed several OT prophets clearly mentioned or indicated that the Messiah to come was God Himself. Isaiah calls the Child to be given by the divine name "The Mighty God." (Isa.9:5). Zachariah shows that the very God who said He would pour out the Spirit of grace and supplications upon the house of David, was the Messiah Himself - the One whom they would pierce: "they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced" (Zech.12:10). David in Spirit called Him 'Lord' (see Psa.110:1 and Matt.22:41-45). Several other OT texts speak about the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ.

In my follow-up response shortly, I'll try to share the roles of Christ in God's economy.

Twisted interpretation of the holy Scriptures..
Jesus Christ says you're doing just that...
Revelation 3:5,11-12,21. John 20:17,30-31.
John 3:16-17. John 17:3.
This is the SCRIPTURAL hierarchy. 1 cor11:3.

(1) (Reply)

The Case Of An Honest Creationist: Kurt Wise / Ramadan Vs Ulcer :: Which Would U Choose / Muhammad Would Never Approve Of violation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.