Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,268 members, 7,807,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers (3348 Views)

Own A Wordpress Web Site At A Cheaper And Affordable Rate One Click Ahead. / GENESIS FRAMEWORK+THEMES, WORDPRESS/WEB DEVELOPMENT VIDEO TRAINING & SOFTWARES / Web Developer Needed At Ease Web Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros1234(m): 5:07pm On Jan 07, 2012
Lets do it this way. I spent the last 6 months of 2011 studying and building websites with wordpress. While I'm nowhere near the best I think I have learned a couple of things.

So I would like to use this page to call for anyone who may be having a wordpress related question. Pls post your questions here and lets see how we can help you.

I love wordpress.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by databoy247(m): 7:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
wordpress is simply phenomenal. It has hundreds of documentation, and customization is easy especially editing the php codes of the theme you are using, making your site unique. I'll recommend to any web designer who isnt into coding like me.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros1234(m): 8:13pm On Jan 07, 2012
databoy247:

wordpress is simply phenomenal. It has hundreds of documentation, and customization is easy especially editing the php codes of the theme you are using, making your site unique. I'll recommend to any web designer who isnt into coding like me.

On point man. Not to talk of the fact that you can achieve any feauture with plugins. Its simply awesome. My most charged job for 2011 was built with wordpress.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by yawatide(f): 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
I must confess that I just started learning WP for the first time in my life 3 weeks ago. For some reason, I never felt like learning it because I felt I would put in all this work and clients wouldn't appreciate it and pay me for it.

It's pretty cool. In fact, cooler than Joomla. I don't know why I didn't learn it earlier. I just put up my first ever customized WP blog, 2 days ago. I am still learning it though and chances are that once I think I have figured it out, I will be using it primarily to develop sites.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 07, 2012
i prefer wordpress to Joomla, Joomla blows for real, the API for Joomla s just whacked on the other hand wordpress is like so cool especially the WPQuery Class its superb , the new features allow you to build a normal site easily with wordpress by making use of templates though i secretly wish wordpress could adapt the MVC pattern as its easier maintaining all files in a cool structure. Joomla 1.7 is the worst CMS ave ever sin i still stick with 1.5.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 08, 2012
The 1.7 looks pretty on the surface but is all messed up inside.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros12345: 2:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
*dhtml:

The 1.7 looks pretty on the surface but is all messed up inside.

So Joomla is now in 1.7. Wow. Havent had time to check them out in a long time. I tried it some 2 years ago and quit before I could even learn it. I thank myself now that I stuck with wordpress. You can do anything you want with it.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros12345: 2:22pm On Jan 08, 2012
Wait a minute, all these ppl that create thread here dont have issues with wp yet or what? Or should I retitle the subject of this thread. We want this place to be used as wordpress problem solving centre. Looks to me like most Nigerians just use wp for blogging and nothing more. Am i missing something
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
WP has its own issues like every other CMS. Personally, i dont use WP since i dont do blogs as a habit except few times. For complex websites i still recommend drupal or Joomla. But for blogs, and simple websites, WP appears to be less complicated - i think, based on my little experiences with WP.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
only a few code wordpress most just install and run, but in wordpress the thing i find confusing is the way you make ajax calls so mudane
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 9:01am On Jan 09, 2012
Pls how does wordpress work?Is it like dreamweaver?
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 9:02am On Jan 09, 2012
Pls how does wordpress work?Is it like dreamweaver?
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by Ymodulus: 9:12am On Jan 09, 2012
Wow!! You guys just blew my mind i wana go learn wordpress beta now. I have seen joomla. Infact i first used the 1.7 and you see i dont seem to get it wella just averaged. Drupal i dont know why i seem to love its folder arrangement structure coding but i dont know how to customise it like others do. In any way i still use wordpress farely better just cuz of the plugins. And the admin panel is just too cool. Unlike joomla 1.7 gosh i dont even know where some features are
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by Ymodulus: 9:37am On Jan 09, 2012
please can any1 help me with a link where i can get a good wordpress tutorial. I just want to be able to design wordpress like that of sahara-reporters website. Also to add custom features. And Yawa please wats dat wp-query about?
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by yawatide(f): 11:37am On Jan 09, 2012
Ymodulus:
1) Still learning WP. First step is learning what it is about and how to set it up. I only used ogboju to customize my first one (basically, I modified the twentyeleven template cool ). Next step is to learn how to create my own themes so for now, sorry but I know nothing of wp-query.

2) Saharareporters: Again I am new to WP, but I don't think it is WP-based. I do know for a fact though that the former version of Sahara was joomla, based on URLs on the site.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 12:42pm On Jan 09, 2012
Pls u guys shld help me out with wordpress, is it like dreamweaver?
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by yawatide(f): 2:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
otentnic:
No, it is not. With DW, you are coding from scratch (design, logic and content). With WP, you are dealing with an app that separates design, logic and content) such that the lay person just has to deal with the content. . .The way it should be. Just like when you drive a car, you don't care about the inner working of the car to make it crank, likewise, all the average users needs to know is how to add content.

Of course, you shouldn't use a bomb to fix the leak in your roof. WP (and other content management systems (CMS)) aren't efficient for all sites. For instance, if the site you want to work on will be modified at most once a month and the client would rather you make the changes (and of course is willing to pay for the maintenance), use an editor like DW. On the other hand, if you are dealing with a site like an online newspaper, with many authors and that will be updated daily, a CMS is the way to go. Of course, you could code such by hand but why do so when there are tons of open source apps out there?

Make sense? Make I go baff smiley
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 2:59pm On Jan 09, 2012
Yawa-ti-de : thanks, pls how can i get DW software for free?what other alternatives are available similar to DW
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by yawatide(f): 3:41pm On Jan 09, 2012
Unless you can get with someone willing to loan you your CD, you might be SOL.

As far as alternatives, I am glad you ask because DW isn't everything and a bag of chips.  There are other alternatives, some of which may be free. For example: Notepad+, homesite, text pad to name a few.  Of course when all else fails, you can always use what comes from on your (windows) laptop: notepad.  In fact, if you are learning web design/dev newly, I would actually suggest you go with notepad first as it is bare bones and will force you to learn.  I wouldn't too much rely on WYSIWYGs as you may be in a situation where you don't have one and you are stuck (like now).
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by robola: 3:59pm On Jan 09, 2012
Have ds problem wit permalinks. Wen i edit permalinks to use d custom structure, my pages do nt appear n d message on screen is 'ds page is nt found on d server'. Advise
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2012
Yawa-ti-de: i can code with notepad which is the basic, i just need an editor to speed things up, what about frontpage,kompozer. What can u say about them?Can someone actually get DW for free?
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by yawatide(f): 5:36pm On Jan 09, 2012
robola:
Again, speaking from a total newbie perspective, I encountered this permalink problem as well. In my case, I was creating the permalinks and clicking "view (to preview the page)" without actually updating (saving) the page. In my case, it made sense as I guess if you don't update the the page, the entry isn't recorded in the database, which means the page doesn't actually exist. Try this, if not already and let us know how it goes.

otentic:
good for you. Notepad is the king of fallbacks. Based on experience, I wouldn't suggest frontpage. I don't know Kompozer. As mentioned earlier, you can get free by asking someone to lend you their copy. As far as free from say, Adobe website, I seriously doubt that.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by robola: 8:50am On Jan 10, 2012
No, i think i update d file b4 viewing. This might help tho. I jst read d custom structure may nt work well on windows bt linux n am on localhost.
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by robola: 8:53am On Jan 10, 2012
No, i think i update d file b4 viewing. This might help tho. I jst read d custom structure may nt work well on windows bt linux n am on windows(localhost).
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros12345: 10:25am On Jan 10, 2012
This thread moved quickly, such that I before I came back from the occupy protest, you guys have gone far. Yawatide, thanks for trying to help out. Thats why I created this thread. Le me see whats up now
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros12345: 10:27am On Jan 10, 2012
otentic,
my two cents, if you are tryingto code, stick with Dream weaver. I have heard that kompozer is easier, but I think DW does it well. Thats what I use to do any kind of editing
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by bros12345: 10:38am On Jan 10, 2012
Ymodulus:

please can any1 help me with a link where i can get a good wordpress tutorial. I just want to be able to design wordpress like that of sahara-reporters website. Also to add custom features. And Yawa please wats dat wp-query about?

I found the following sites when i googled

http://www.killersites.com/wordpress/

http://www.freewordpresstutorials.com/
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 12:19pm On Jan 10, 2012
@bros1234: how can i get DW software for free?
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by widesmile(f): 12:51pm On Jan 10, 2012
@otentic u cld easyly get it to buy from those who sell installation CDs around for as low as N150 (b4 fuel susidy sha grin)and u cld ask your friends who r into web stuff it very common
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by amasha(f): 11:16pm On Jan 10, 2012
Wordpress Rocks!!
Re: Wordpress Web Solutions: Questions And Answers by otentic19: 11:17am On Jan 11, 2012
Does anyone knows
(1) if DW can write PHP Code?
(2)how to create Css layout in DW

(1) (2) (Reply)

Great New Site For Young Nigerians Www.ovaloaded.com / How To Make Money From Opera Mini News / What a Newbie Blogger wants to know? Ask it here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.