Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria (8459 Views)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Nchara: 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2012
Igbo is the most popular ethnic group outside Nigeria
Everywhere I have been to - and I have been to quite a large number of countries - people ask me first '' where are you from?
Once they know I am Nigerian, they ask me next, are you Igbo (Ibo)?

Several reasons may be given for this:

1. The Biafra war which brought Igbo to the global limelight (the elderly people with whom I have discussed end up with Biafran stories which even I don't know of)
2. Nollywood, which is essentially Igbo stuff
3. Igbos are the most travelled Nigerians
4. Chinua Achebe's book, Things Fall Apart, the most widely read book coming out of Africa and which exposed Igbo culture of yore.

Meanwhile enjoy video of this Igbo guy singing in Mandarin (Chinese Language). The New York Times describes him as the most African superstar in China

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-0zWA3KDuoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19vv0ZEMPU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/arts/music/hao-ge-a-nigerian-becomes-a-pop-star-in-china.html?pagewanted=all

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 9:44pm On Jan 07, 2012
I agree with you. But in some places it is Hausa; Yoruba is some places.
In the U.K, it is the Yoruba language.
In In Saharan African countries, it is Hausa.
Rest of the world, it is Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 07, 2012
Yoruba is the most popular ethnic, language, culture, etc tbh. Even African headtie is synonymous with the Yorubas.
No need to argue over facts.
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Nchara: 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

I agree with you. But in some places it is Hausa; Yoruba is some places.
In the U.K, it is the Yoruba language.
In In Saharan African countries, it is Hausa.
Rest of the world, it is Igbo.

Not true at the bolded

You travel to Kenya, Rwanda, SA, Cameroun and even Ghana etc, etc: Once you identify as Nigerian they ask you if you are Igbo

Do this simple experiment yourself and get back with your finding.
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 10:00pm On Jan 07, 2012
Nchara
By saharan African coutries, I mean contries that border the sahara desert for example Sudan, Tchad, Niger, Mali, Libya, Algeria etc.
Apart fron this countries and the U.K, it is Igbo all the way.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Nchara: 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

Nchara
By saharan African coutries, I mean contries that border the sahara desert for example Sudan, Tchad, Niger, Mali, Libya, Algeria etc.
Apart fron this countries and the U.K, it is Igbo all the way.

Okay. Of course those are islamic countries and you expect no less.

I met a 70 years old American man recently and we got talking. He asked if I was Igbo and I said yes and he replied '' I knew it once I saw you''
He told stories of Nigeria and Biafra war and the Igbos
He had worked on a malaria program in Kaduna in the 70s and had travelled Ibadan, Lagos, Kano, Jos, Enugu and Calabar among other places extensively
He is just one among thousands that hold the same opinion
In Europe (may be apart from UK as you said) the name Nigeria is synonymous with Igbo.

This has nothing to do with language or traditional attire.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by dempeople(m): 12:36am On Jan 08, 2012
I've traveled widely from US, mainland europe (Holland, France, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Austria) to the middle east countries (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE(Dubai) ) and Hong Kong and Japan in asia.

In all these places, I've met more ndigbo than any other Nigerians except in Saudi Arabia (lots of northerners there with a mix of southern professionals e.g doctors) and maybe UAE(Dubai has a lot of ndigbo there with trading/importing businesses). In Austria, its almost even between ndigbo and binis.

US has a lot of ndigbo especially houston Texas, Maryland, Atlanta Georgia and New York. Haven't been to Chicago but heard they're there in sizable numbers.

Will be in China soon. Lots of ndigbo there too.
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by BlackPikiN(m): 12:40am On Jan 08, 2012
Igala is most popular ethnis group. Yes bite me!

dem_people:

I've traveled widely from US, mainland europe (Holland, France, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Austria) to the middle east countries (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE(Dubai) ) and Hong Kong and Japan in asia.

In all these places, I've met more ndigbo than any other Nigerians except in Saudi Arabia (lots of northerners there with a mix of southern professionals e.g doctors) and maybe UAE(Dubai has a lot of ndigbo there with trading/importing businesses). In Austria, its almost even between ndigbo and binis.

US has a lot of ndigbo especially houston Texas, Maryland, Atlanta Georgia and New York. Haven't been to Chicago but heard they're there in sizable numbers.

Will be in China soon. Lots of ndigbo there too.

There's a large population of Igbo people in chicago. I mean it's really crazy!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by aljharem(m): 3:22am On Jan 08, 2012
[size=18pt]YES THEY ARE THE MOST POPULOUS OUTSIDE NIGERIA[/size]
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Ilamina(f): 3:23am On Jan 08, 2012
Igbo and yoruba are both popular
whenever I tell pple am Nigerian-dey always me ask if I am igbo or yoruba#$%

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Nchara: 5:47am On Jan 08, 2012
Ilamina:

Igbo and yoruba are both popular

Yes, but of the two Igbo is by far more.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 6:00am On Jan 08, 2012
Dunno.

Wud it bring down the current cost of PMS ?
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by BlackPikiN(m): 6:54am On Jan 08, 2012
^^^^ I think if we argue more it will.
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Sonofpeace(m): 10:39am On Jan 08, 2012
I have lived in Ghana, couldnt believe hearing ghana people especially Ga's and Ashantis saying "mba" which means no in Igbo whenever they disagree with me. I think it may be due to Nollywood movies which is predominantly Igbo actors and actresses

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by OneNaira6: 10:24pm On Jan 14, 2012
It depends on what nation

In UK and Ghana, there are more Yoruba than Igbo
In Middle East, more Hausa than Igbo or Yoruba
In the US and China, there are more Igbo than Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 15, 2012
I love this song tho
kiss

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMKMKZ_6WBI?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

I like igbo songs tho, esp when they're mixed with Yoruba, makes it more spicier.
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 9:49pm On Jan 15, 2012
One_Naira:

There are more Igbo than Yoruba in Ghana.
The only West African country that Yorubas outnumber Ndigbo is Benin Republic. This is as a result of some indigenous Yoruba population in that country. Minus the native Yorubas there, Ndigbo are larger than them.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 11:00pm On Jan 15, 2012
One_Naira:

Good, which means we are more in the most strategic countries.  wink
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by onila(f): 11:19pm On Jan 15, 2012
strategic in selling drugs in china undecided
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 11:23pm On Jan 15, 2012
Nchara:

Okay. Of course those are islamic countries and you expect no less.

I met a 70 years old American man recently and we got talking. He asked if I was Igbo and I said yes and he replied '' I knew it once I saw you''
He told stories of Nigeria and Biafra war and the Igbos
He had worked on a malaria program in Kaduna in the 70s and had travelled Ibadan, Lagos, Kano, Jos, Enugu and Calabar among other places extensively
He is just one among thousands that hold the same opinion
In Europe (may be apart from UK as you said) the name Nigeria is synonymous with Igbo.

This has nothing to do with language or traditional attire.

Anecdotes, anecdotes anecdotes. None of the reasons you stated is sufficient to prove that Igbo are the most popular. While I honestly  dont give a s/hyt, I lived in the Northeast of America and definitely travelled more extensively around America than everyone in Nairaland combined (How many people here have been to flyover states like Montana and Idaho??) and I can say that it is impossible to tell . A lot of igbo people hang out around igbo people and there connections are limited to igbo people. Its not like you would find an igbo persona at a yoruba party in the US. Nigerian ethnic groups are kind of segegated especially most of you on Nairaland who are from the lower-class/not elite of society. So if u meeti gbo people somewere it is likely mostof the people they introduce you too are iugbo. I have family members in the US and they dont have one igbo friend lol, if I was going to judge based on my experiences, I would argueb that there are more yruba pople than igbo people but fortunately I am not stooopid.

Anyways continue the stooopidity competition. Nchara omoigbo no dey carry last lailai for that category.
Re: Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 9:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
Sonofpeace: I have lived in Ghana, couldnt believe hearing ghana people especially Ga's and Ashantis saying "mba" which means no in Igbo whenever they disagree with me. I think it may be due to Nollywood movies which is predominantly Igbo actors and actresses
I like this! Is the Igbo word, 'mba' now part of their language vocabulary or they only used it because they knew they were interacting with an Igbo person?

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Alfred Achebe's Entrepreneurship Development & Skill Empowers 70 Youths / Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.