Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech (31392 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Jonathan's Speech At The UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aljharem(m): 11:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
[size=15pt]so many new usernames asking to give the FG a chance, Beaf and co well done o hahaha[/size]  grin grin grin

lastly please people stop the insult on mr president remember it is not his fault when we have likes of madueke, sanusi iweala and co
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by sugar001(f): 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2012
God bless the Federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ferber: 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2012
25% pay cut? will dat total up to N1 billion?Nd even if it does,dats just chop money for him nd his wife, Psheeeeew.too little too late jona.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by manny4life(m): 11:06pm On Jan 07, 2012
If GEJ is sincere about cost reduction, let him send to NASS an ammemded budget reflecting the cost reduction
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ade80: 11:06pm On Jan 07, 2012
Your allowances are calculated on your basic + transport + utility etc
Ghana has had steady power supply for more than five years so they don't run their lives on gen.

stiyke:

[size=20pt]The last i heard Allowances are calculated from basic salary
Why is Ghana not protesting their subsidy removal??[/
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Toks2008(m): 11:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
Obviously this guy is sick. He is still maintaining same crazy stand of subsidy removal.  He is definitely a dulll head. Any right thinking president should understannd that increasing a price of a productr as valuable as fuel by over 100% is never in the interest of the people. He should at least do it gradually nit not at once .

And lets ask the government what they have done with the proceeds generated from subsidy removal of diesel for about 5 yrs now.

It is easy for any criminal in guise of ministers, Governors, senators to support the subsidy removal because they have the funds avalable to throw about.

CRIMINALS.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Moreti(m): 11:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
@989900

Apologies if I dnt understand what is going on here, bt from what I have read so far, majority of pple on nairaland wants the oil prices back to 65 naira, that means govt shld continue to pay oil importers/thieves subsidy (some r genuine though, but very few), thats all I understand, pls educate me if this is nt what pple are protesting and are going to go strike on for monday.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by klerry(m): 11:09pm On Jan 07, 2012
Culled from foufou's post:

! Jonathan needs to sneak out in the night incognito and feel the pulse of the public on boko haram and fuel subsidy removal. He will be surprised to learn that he is totally out of touch with reality! Then, for him to still mention in his broadcast that Naija security forces are competent to handle the security challenges especially in the North confirms that he is out of touch. Or has he not heard of the killing of 11 innocent southern Christians in CAC upNorth today? I weep for Jonathan, whose naivety is being exploited by bad, mean and devilish Ministers and Advisers, such as Iweala and Dieziani!

@ foufou
U're so correct, I think he needs to leave the surrounding of his so called useless advisers and see for himself what he needs to do.
I don't blame him though, I blame those who gave him their mandate. I knew nothing good could come from the PDP govt!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by makonko(m): 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2012
Nigeria is not ready for fuel subsidy to be removed. Until basic amenities are put in place. #occupy NG  cool
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by xterra2(m): 11:11pm On Jan 07, 2012
This stupid speech
He looks dulls while presenting it
Abeg, we no gree  angry
#occupyNigeria
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aljharem(m): 11:11pm On Jan 07, 2012
ade_77:

Ghana has had steady power supply for more than five years so they don't run their lives on gen.

thank you

I mean nigeria would never move forward with some of these brainless people we call our country men or maybe they are the real reason why we have not developed for 50 years

Why should Ghana protest when they have consist Electricity ?

How many people use Generators to run their businesses in Ghana ? Since No, then would food prices be dependent on Oil ?

How many people use fuel to Cook in Ghana ?

How many people use fuel run their homes in Ghana ?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
When will the 25% FEC members' allowance reduction be effected? And how much are we going to get from dat, and on what are we spending it?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by montelik(m): 11:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
Listened to d speech and it all d same story.

1. Make promise to be prudent with govt money. Check.

2. Identify with d pains and concerns of Nigerians. Check.

3. Promises d implementation of some token measures and benefits to d masses. Check.

4. Make some token sacrifices to quiet them. Check

5. Explain that there is no other way but your way. Check

6. Pay lip service to combating corruption. Check

7. Pay lip service to reforming govt. Check

8 Pay lip service to eliminating wastage and improving govt efficiency. Check

9. Insist we must suffer today to enjoy tomorrow. Check

10. Also don't forget to insist that we must throw more money at d problem to fix it. Check

What I didn't see besides words and promises was an understanding that d fundamental problems with govt and d economy in Nigeria can't be solved by just throwing more money at d problem. If you are serious about fighting corruption why haven't you sent d EFFC after those who are ripping of d Nigerian people in oil sector. You refuse to, yet you expect pple to buy your promises of combating corruption  undecided. Why haven't you fired and disciplined those within your govt who assist these pple to defraud Nigerians. Yet we are supposed to believe you have a real commitment to govt reform and accountability undecided. You insist you must get all you want now immediately, rather than earn their trust. Yet pple are supposed to believe you will be efficient when you refused to first demonstrate your sincerity before burdening them. undecided

D money is enough, you just can't and refuse to manage it properly, and always asking for more will never quench your thirst, cos it is already enough. D problem is not and has never been d money. It is attitude and insistence of govt on treating d symptom and never d illness. Cut salary and allowances, doesn't change a thing. Govt official in d early OBJ years (1999-2007) earned significantly less than now, did that stop them from mismanagement and corruption? I don tire for this carousel.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
Thank God this EVIL PMS subsidy is gone for good, no matter what NLC/TUC, Civil orgs et all think, this is one in many deregulation plans to come. The corruption in the O & G sector is so bad, it stinks.
People who are free to go about their normal activities should not be molested, Workers who want to go to work can (not all support industrial actions b4 negotiations), transportation will be available, and I believe the police won't have a need to be brutal on anyone except to miscreants trying to hijack the activities of a few to foment trouble or damages.
As for Boko Haram, their time will soon come, God is still on the THRONE!
Nigeria must move forward no matter what and many people will be forced to swallow their words by God's Grace.
Somehow, I still have hope in this country.
And BTW, I think I like some constructive criticisms here on the Govt, it kinda make them accountable (eg: 25% B.S cut).
God Bless NIGERIA and NIGERIANS!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by OmoTier1(m): 11:17pm On Jan 07, 2012
Chei! What have we done as a country to deserve a regime as lame as this
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by lekanolas: 11:18pm On Jan 07, 2012
Jonathan should have gone further to tell Nigerians  the salaries of FEC members now after deducting the 25%. We need actual figures

[td]so why are luxurious buses increasing their fare?They use diesel which has deregulated 6years ago!
[/td]

Would they buy  goods and services from the same market like others. Where do you expect them to make money to off-set the extra expenditure as a result of the increase in PMS.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aljharem(m): 11:18pm On Jan 07, 2012
Gabbysky:

Thank God this EVIL PMS subsidy is gone for good, no matter what NLC/TUC, Civil orgs et all think, this is one in many deregulation plans to come. The corruption in the O & G sector is so bad, it stinks.
People who are free to go about their normal activities should not be molested, Workers who want to go to work can (not all support industrial actions b4 negotiations), transportation will be available, and I believe the police won't have a need to be brutal on anyone except to miscreants trying to hijack the activities of a few to foment trouble or damages.
Nigeria must move forward no matter what and many people will be forced to swallow their words by God's Grace.
And BTW, I think I like some constructive criticisms here on the Govt, it kinda make them accountable (eg: 25% B.S cut).
alj harem:

[size=15pt]so many new usernames asking to give the FG a chance, Beaf and co well done o hahaha[/size]  grin grin grin

lastly please people stop the insult on mr president remember it is not his fault when we have likes of madueke, sanusi iweala and co
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by DRANOEL(m): 11:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
the president's annual basic is 3,514,705million naira

minister 2,026,400"million naira

minister of state 1,957,580million naira

you can do the maths urselfs and see what the drunken fisherman is all about
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by OmoTier1(m): 11:22pm On Jan 07, 2012
Gabbysky:

Wait until the Economy is truly grounded on Monday 9th of January 2012! The President is running scared, His lame speech is like I said, 'Lame'. There is basically nothing in that speech that is reassuring. It is all Promises! Promises We have heard since the time He took over that office.

If He was serious at proving to Nigerians that He has done His home Work, He would have told Nigerians straigth away that ALL senior Government Appointees will have a 45% cut in their January Salary and His own Salary inclusive and all allowances cut by 60%.

I call this the "blah blah blah of blahism!" , What a waste of space this President! NLC/TUC, continue your mobilization, Sunday is here already, Monday money the President will get the true picture of what is in the offering for him and His theiving cabinet !!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by OmoTier1(m): 11:23pm On Jan 07, 2012
alj harem:

Leave beaf and His COWARDICE, He thinks we do not know His methods of operation,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ade80: 11:25pm On Jan 07, 2012
Moreti:

@989900

Apologies if I dnt understand what is going on here, bt from what I have read so far, majority of pple on nairaland wants the oil prices back to 65 naira, that means govt shld continue to pay oil importers/thieves subsidy (some r genuine though, but very few), thats all I understand, pls educate me if this is nt what pple are protesting and are going to go strike on for monday.

Ok, subsidy increased by over 300% to 1.4 trillion in 2011 and govt says a cabal was responsible, and the only way to stop the cabal is to increase fuel prices thereby forcing 150million naijas to pay for the sins of the cabal that the govt know but are afraid to confront. We want the price to be reverted and the cabal made to refunded the 1trillion govt paid them.
Although me I feel the amount i.e 1.4 t was also due to the fact that last year was an election year and uncle Joe needs to refuel his purse
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by 989900: 11:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
@989900

No disrespect, but I'd have to type a book if I have to do that. That's why I encouraged you to go thru all the posts on this thread and related threads
Some make sense, some don't, but of course I know you can filter them appropriately.

Basically though, there is a big issue of trust here, and the gov't needs to convince the masses "thoroughly-practically" before imposing an over 100% increase in pump price with a ricochet effect of similar %tage in  inflation in some aspects of our economy. Even at that, there are many issues btw the lines that've been discussed both on this thread and previous ones i.e why should there be subsidies in the first place if our refineries are working and many many more
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by oiseworld: 11:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
look at mumu posters on nairaland.  SO we should continue to do the same thing and expect a different result?   do you think the govt has not made effort to fix the refineries, but we ( me & u, ur brothers, friends all nigerian generally.) just keep sabotaging it.

the road to ghana is opened to all those who can't cope, please leave for those who would survive the subsidy, we would gladly welcome you back when tins are better.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Remii(m): 11:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
Here is what I saw as NASS salary structure. If this is same for executives, 25% reduction would affect all items

Legislature:

Annual Basic Salary = X
   Vehicle Maintenance & Fueling = 75% of X
   Personal Assistant = 25% of X
   Hardship = 5% of X
   Domestic Staff = 75% of X
   Entertainment = 30% of X
   Utilities = 30% of X
   Outfit = 25% of X
   Newspaper and Periodicals = 25% of X
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by gabbytabby: 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
While I can understand peoples reluctance to trust the Presidency (history is not on his side) but what is the alternative? Is it to assume that Government will always be corrupt and still continue to pay them all this big salaries to bankrupt the nation?

We dont really have much of an option but to wait and see and I have come round to the position that Iweala, Sanusi et al are decent enough people who at least want improvement in the nation and are prepared to speak up.

What will the strike achieve but make life even more difficult for those who are sufferring the most.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aljharem(m): 11:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
oiseworld:

look at mumu posters on nairaland.  SO we should continue to do the same thing and expect a different result?   do you think the govt has not made effort to fix the refineries, but we ( me & u, your brothers, friends all nigerian generally.) just keep sabotaging it.

alj harem:

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nadanbata: 11:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
What makes me laugh is. He might has well not have come out with such speach o. I dey laugh. He has made it worse for himself by showing he aint serious at all with that dull speech. Are any of you inspired by that? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Sike(m): 11:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
sugar 001:

God bless the Federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by bodejohn(m): 11:32pm On Jan 07, 2012
Aren't we tired of promises? A Nigerian kid was once asked what he would like to become when he grows up, he simply started crying, these were his words "you ask me when I grow up? I don't even know if I will grow up" as comical as that is, it is the blanket truth. Proponents of the deregulation are quick to point out the telecoms sector as an example of a deregulated sector of our economy, but they easily forget that the cost of purchasing a sim card was out of the reach of a common man for more than 4years until GLO came and started installmental payments. Can Nigerians endure a 140/ltr of pms for 3 to 4years? It is not going to take less than 2years to build a refinery! The govt has failed to tell Nigerians how long they think it will take for what they call short time suffering to end.
On a more critical note, the govt is not telling Nigerians the whole truth, how was the subsidy deficit in the 2011 budget paid? Was it not through borrowing? So where will the savings come? There is no subsidy in the budget of 2012, therefore there will be no savings on subsidy except the govt is planning to go borrow again like they have been doing. As laudable as fuel subsidy removal is, this govt is ill prepared, confused, corrupt and above all clueless about what they are set out to achieve.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by 989900: 11:33pm On Jan 07, 2012
@ ade77 and omo tier:

I beg anyone don hear how the subsidy money rise from 240b to 1.3 trillion? "dem start magic"?

Anyone get the proper breakdown how dem take spend the excess crude account money?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by MAYOWAAK: 11:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
A president who goes on NTA to announce "cuts" in foreign travel, then leaves for the airport, should NOT be taken seriously! #OccupyNigeria.

He was already in South Africa when his speech was aired to attend African  National Congress 100 years anniversary.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by stiyke(m): 11:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
ade_77:

but the protesters are not protesting because power isnt constant. So are you saying if there was steady power supply they would not be a protest because of subsidy removal??. Maybe The buses and cars in Ghana ride on water

alj harem:

thank you

I mean nigeria would never move forward with some of these brainless people we call our country men or maybe they are the real reason why we have not developed for 50 years

Why should Ghana protest when they have consist Electricity ?

How many people use Generators to run their businesses in Ghana ? Since No, then would food prices be dependent on Oil ?

How many people use fuel to Cook in Ghana ?

How many people use fuel run their homes in Ghana ?

So if there was constant power supply there would be no protest
I have never seen anyone cook with fuel in Nigeria. The last some ppl tried it they were roasted alive. Are you saying you use fuel to cook in your house??
So the cars and buses in Ghana i want to know, do they run on fuel?? or they run on heavy water?? Are there no transport companies in Ghana??
[size=22pt]Why is there no protest in Ghana as they too just removed subsidy[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Anambra Election: I Did Not Rig Alone - Arrested INEC Official / Ejaife Odebala: Why I Knelt Down For Delta State Speaker / PDP Submits Ademola Adeleke's Name To INEC For Approval (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.