Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution (143708 Views)

Cost Of Building 4 Bedrooms Bungalow With 2 Sitting Rooms In Owerri / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / How Much Will It Cost To Deck A Storey Building - 4 Flats With 3 Bedrooms Each (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 9:50pm On Feb 28, 2012
spyder880:

This quote is damn too low, I dont know what this guy is quoting for but there is no way in this world he can do a German floor with only 35 bags of cement for a double flat! Something in the region of 150-160 bags for a 4'' thick slab. And to use only 25 bags of cement to cast the blinding of a double flat foundation is laughable. Ask this guy to clarify how he plans to do this.

Thanks spyder880 for your comments. I will clarify the issues you raised with the builder and will make him state how thick the german floor will be (according to you, it should be 4" thick).

Please, how thick should the slab/blinding be? And what is the estimated bags of cement for this? I need these to confront the builder.

Thanks.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Fhemmmy: 9:56pm On Feb 28, 2012
We need some pix too oh
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Jussi(m): 10:24pm On Feb 28, 2012
Favour,

I guess that Mr Spyder has just alerted you that the material quote (e.g. cement) could have been underestimated based on his own experience. Also for many potential home owners on this forum, the knowledge gained could be well applied in taking all necessary measures to save own self from dubious contractors, rather than using them as tools in our hands to confront our builders. Note that most dubious contractors are so skilled in their trade that they can under quote in order to win a contract, but will revert to you at a later time to lament that your materials have ran out.

So, except one has the complete details of your floorplan, even the so-called quantity surveyors would only speculate on material quantities. Take into account that different builders/brick layers use materials differently, which will either utilize your materials adequately or waste them. Landlord, no fit play ball and keep the post at the same time naa  cheesy
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 11:18pm On Feb 28, 2012
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 7:29pm On Mar 14, 2012
I think spyder880 may be right. The initial quote was done without the person seeing the plan. Now with work in progress, I have used more bags of cement than originally quoted.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 7:57pm On Mar 14, 2012
first images - 1

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 7:58pm On Mar 14, 2012
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 7:59pm On Mar 14, 2012
first images - 3

1 Like

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by spyder880(m): 8:10pm On Mar 14, 2012
Favour_me: I think spyder880 may be right. The initial quote was done without the person seeing the plan. Now with work in progress, I have used more bags of cement than originally quoted.

But, now that he has seen the plans and the site, let him still quote again so you could be guided appropriately. Nice job there.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 9:49pm On Mar 18, 2012
The remark of spyder880 about my plan to build a property has come to pass. Without listening to the professionals in this forum, I went ahead with plan to involve my brother, architect, builder and in-law. There was trouble on site due to mainly lack of trust. And the plan of pricing and paying workers on quantity done or on daily pay has not turn out to be a good one. Even the builder left the site complaining that he doesn't need the architect to inspect his work. I had to pay the architect and asked him to go. Considering that I am not in Nigeria, this has been like a hell! Even materials were being bought on same day of work making work start very late.

I have decided to stop the project, re-plan and start afresh in about 6-weeks time to cool temperature on site and allocate roles.

Future plan:
1. Builder to be supervisor on site since he is doing a good job (according to my inlaw and brother)
2. I won't pay workers directly again. Builder will have to hire, negotiate, pay and fire workers if necessary
3. And no more daily pay. It will be on contract.
4. I will need detailed estimate on materials. And I will buy materials only while builder handles workers and their pay.

I need advice from professionals here especially on materials as initial quotation from the builder has not been near correct. Its been way out! If I can get approximate estimate of materials, I will know how far my money can carry and then be able to contract it out to the builder.

All the foundation work has been done except the german floor. And I will like to negotiate with builder to take german floor and up to lintel on contract. Please guys, I need estimate on materials that will be ok for german floor to lintel and decking level. It's 2 wing 3-bedroom flats (upstairs):

German floor
1. Sand
2. cement
3. stones/granite
4. Rods (if any)
5. Other Materials (if any)

Setting Block up to Decking level
1. Sand
2. cement
3. Block (we are buying blocks)
4. Rods (if any)
5. Other Materials (if any)

Labour
1. Labour cost from German floor to Decking level (suggestion here will enable me negotiate with builder)

Please guys, help me estimate quantity of materials as stated above. This will help me re-start the project. I must confess I have learnt alot of lessons so far.

Thanks
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by spyder880(m): 10:59pm On Mar 18, 2012
send me your e-mail add to ckenneths@yahoo.co.uk

1 Like

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 11:08pm On Mar 18, 2012
I have sent you an email from my email address. Thanks.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by spyder880(m): 11:27pm On Mar 18, 2012
I have sent a reply.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 11:58pm On Mar 18, 2012
spyder880: I have sent a reply.

Thank you.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by Favourme2: 12:32am On Mar 20, 2012
pic

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by kblast: 4:46pm On Mar 29, 2012
House, this is the cost sent to me by my builder for the same 4 flats (2 flats up and down). Will need some ideas about the reasonableness of this quotation.

Pegging - 25,000naira
Digging - 35,000naira
Casting - 55,000naira
wood: 1x12x12=600*1000=600,000naira
2x3x12=300*350=105,000naira
Nail - 2bags=11,000naira
Cement - 250bagsx2000=500,000naira
Granite - 40 tons = 170,000naira
Sand - 80tons = 320,000naira
Iron - 16mm (30length) =80,000naira
12mm (1 and half tons)= 232,500naira
10mm (1 ton) = 150,000naira
Binding wire = 12,000naira
Labor (Casting) = 200,000naira
Labor (Capital) = 150,000naira
Labor (iron) = 120,000naira

Total is roughly 2.8million. According to the builder, this quotation does not include German floor. The land is in lekki by the way.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by fire4fire: 8:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
kblast: House, this is the cost sent to me by my builder for the same 4 flats (2 flats up and down). Will need some ideas about the reasonableness of this quotation.

Pegging - 25,000naira
Digging - 35,000naira
Casting - 55,000naira
wood: 1x12x12=600*1000=600,000naira
2x3x12=300*350=105,000naira
Nail - 2bags=11,000naira
Cement - 250bagsx2000=500,000naira
Granite - 40 tons = 170,000naira
Sand - 80tons = 320,000naira
Iron - 16mm (30length) =80,000naira
12mm (1 and half tons)= 232,500naira
10mm (1 ton) = 150,000naira
Binding wire = 12,000naira
Labor (Casting) = 200,000naira
Labor (Capital) = 150,000naira
Labor (iron) = 120,000naira

Total is roughly 2.8million. According to the builder, this quotation does not include German floor. The land is in lekki by the way.

The labor for iron binder cannot be up to 120,000.00 at most you would have about 40 pillars on this building. so N30,000.00 - 50k should be ok to tie and set the pillars for the building. Mine for the same design of about 35 pillars charged me N30,000.00 to bind.
Also labour for casting is on the high side. if you estimate 180 bags of cement for casting the baskets,foundation and pillars at N500 per bag* 180 bags of cement would give you N90,000.00 plus about N20,000 for menson labour would give you 110,000

What do you need that amount of wood qouted for ?. Please buy the required wood for the foundation and definetly cannot be upto what was qouted. 600 and 300 pieces is quite on the high side,you might not need upto 200 pcs each, and note that the wood is reusable.
I would advise you pay for the labour per day in that way you can control the work and save money.

2 Likes

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by franktolk(m): 10:02pm On Mar 29, 2012
Thanks for this thread, Am also planning a 4 flats property (2 UP AND 2 DOWN) but the architect quoted 14m, is this not too outrageous ? Pls I need your advise. The location is Lagos.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by tlk2ossy: 5:06pm On May 21, 2012
Hello dear,
I am about embacking on a such move now, but I am about to raise up a 2 storey building and the total amount will be costing me 5million naira including the land. is it too much, but as for me, I demanded for a good storey building with a nice and new style converted.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by princeonx: 3:59am On May 24, 2012
tlk2ossy: Hello dear,
I am about embacking on a such move now, but I am about to raise up a 2 storey building and the total amount will be costing me 5million naira including the land. is it too much, but as for me, I demanded for a good storey building with a nice and new style converted.

Will this project also be in Lagos? and did you say "2 story" building? how many flat on each floor? and you're not serious quoting N5m for this project including land cost are you? Anyway, pls break down your cost the way you plan to do it! you might know something we all don't know.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by tlk2ossy: 11:05am On May 24, 2012
Well, what i mean by 2storey building; 2 flat up and 2 flat down; 3bedroom each. plus the groupd floor.yes it will cost me 5million naira including the land cost too. 1.2million naira for the land and 3.8million naira for cost of building. is not in Lagos, its in small new town called Okigwe. its developing very well now.. cheers! i will tag the pictures soon
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by princeonx: 2:43pm On May 24, 2012
tlk2ossy: Well, what i mean by 2storey building; 2 flat up and 2 flat down; 3bedroom each. plus the groupd floor.yes it will cost me 5million naira including the land cost too. 1.2million naira for the land and 3.8million naira for cost of building. is not in Lagos, its in small new town called Okigwe. its developing very well now.. cheers! i will tag the pictures soon
Bros that amount (N5m) won't get you even to the decking not to talk of finishing the project. Am building exactly the same thing though in Lagos but still N5m even without land cost will not go above decking.
Estimate on decking materials and labour will cost you nothing less than N2m Naira
Estimate on digging, casting, foundation, filling, German floor will cost you another N1m
Estimate on block work (let's say 4,000 blocks from foundation to 2 blocks after lintel @ N120 cheapest is N480k), then sand, gravel, rods for pillars, iron work, wood/carpentry, labour, water etc will cost you about N2m or a little less! So do the math.
Where did you get that idea from by the way? Hope you haven't been gone from naija for 30yrs lol! N5m can get you a nice 3 or 4 bedroom bungalow that's about it!

3 Likes

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by princeonx: 2:47pm On May 24, 2012
^^^
and I still don't get the ground floor you're still adding to it. Just call it "4 flats of 3 bedrooms each" 2 flats up, 2 flats down.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by spyder880(m): 4:57pm On May 24, 2012
tlk2ossy: Well, what i mean by 2storey building; 2 flat up and 2 flat down; 3bedroom each. plus the groupd floor.yes it will cost me 5million naira including the land cost too. 1.2million naira for the land and 3.8million naira for cost of building. is not in Lagos, its in small new town called Okigwe. its developing very well now.. cheers! i will tag the pictures soon

I am in Okigwe now, there is nothing around here to suggest building costs will be cheaper here. Budget around N12m to get this house roofed. Remember I said till roofing only.

Or, can you give us your cost estimates so we can learn a thing or two about your own methods? Thank you.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by tlk2ossy: 12:15pm On May 25, 2012
You guys are right, but you know i was even asking and questioning the person handling this house stuff, but i will get back to you guys after am done with him on some certain question and confirmation.

1 Like

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by princeonx: 2:06pm On May 25, 2012
tlk2ossy: You guys are right, but you know i was even asking and questioning the person handling this house stuff, but i will get back to you guys after am done with him on some certain question and confirmation.
You said handling? You started already? If you have you should know how much you've involved already, the stage you presently are in the project, list of what next to do or buy then decide for yourself. If I may ask, where are you based? Nigeria?
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by tlk2ossy: 6:15pm On May 26, 2012
My dear, I was informed its going to cost more than 13mil. Already I have paid the total sum of 4mil for a start and after he told me its not what he said before, he thought I will back out, and you know I dont know anything about house stuff, but anyway, after I have made some several calls, i confirmed it will cost 16mil to reach to the deck of this 2storey building... shortly, I am Osita, based in Cairo, Egypt... If u dont mind, where are u from? are you in Okigwe? update me. thanks.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by princeonx: 6:55pm On May 31, 2012
tlk2ossy: My dear, I was informed its going to cost more than 13mil. Already I have paid the total sum of 4mil for a start and after he told me its not what he said before, he thought I will back out, and you know I dont know anything about house stuff, but anyway, after I have made some several calls, i confirmed it will cost 16mil to reach to the deck of this 2storey building... shortly, I am Osita, based in Cairo, Egypt... If u dont mind, where are u from? are you in Okigwe? update me. thanks.

First of all you described and said you wanted to build a 4 flats storey building (2 flats of 3 bedrooms each up and two down) so stop calling it 2 storey building. 2. Making calls only will not get you the exact amount this project will cost you. I will advise you to take them in stages one after the other. Get a quote of both materials and labour from foundation to German floor, then setting of blocks to lintel or two blocks after lintel, then get a quote for materials and labour for decking. That's 3 stages there already and you can make you adjustment as you go and for sure you will also learn more about building that way. Having said that, Whata blank did you release N4m for? You plan to finish this project with N5.5m (N1.5 or so for land and N4m for building) a storey building of 4 flats like you said in your first post? I laugh in Swahili lol! Now you guys are dealing with he said or didn't say! Were you giving any quote for materials or labour at all before handing out your money? You might not know much or anything about building but this your type of blankup get me pissed! What was the N4m for? Materials or labour? And I guarantee you that all you will get out of that N4m is just a little work and a lot of stories. All the same good luck! But honestly, you just got me mad!

1 Like

Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by tlk2ossy: 9:37pm On May 31, 2012
Bro. Point of correction. I demand you should enrease any silly thinking or whatever you may have or being sad for nothing, i posted on my wall, and you came in suggesting the best and also tried advising and I accepted and upgraded my programes as regards the building, i expected you to just advice and not going far saying this in my wall, Anyway, since i do not any longer welcome ur note. i suggest u should hang it there. cheers!
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by princeonx: 10:18pm On May 31, 2012
^^
Your wall indeed!
Point of your own correction, this thread is for everyone to learn and it's on www! so this is not about you welcoming mine or anyone's note.
Next thing now you will come back and open another thread crying that you sent money for "2 storey" building home and someone embezzle it without building sh!.t.
Now let me sit tight and wait for your insults! You're the one that screwed up but everybody else that said so will get punished by you for acting without being informed.
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by tlk2ossy: 10:27pm On Jun 01, 2012
bro, i dont really have time to waste my precious time talking, arguing or insulting u.. just close the case.. and stay off from the matter. bye
Re: Building 4 Flats In Nigeria - Planning, Cost & Execution by kevinhan158(m): 4:58am On Aug 28, 2012
Favour_me: I think spyder880 may be right. The initial quote was done without the person seeing the plan. Now with work in progress, I have used more bags of cement than originally quoted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is Roofing Sheets In Nigeria? / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) / Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.