Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,779 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai (17897 Views)

Untold Story Of How 21 Nigerians Made First List. / Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Gear Up For Showdown Against Buhari / Electing Buhari As President, Disaster For Africa – ex US Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by MAYOWAAK: 12:14am On Jan 08, 2012
[size=14pt]Nigerians made a mistake not electing Buhari –El-Rufai[/size]

extract. . . .

The removal of fuel subsidy was greeted with mixed feelings. How do you see the action of President Goodluck Jonathan?

Well, I have already written about this fuel subsidy conundrum and I think that the timing and the deceit that went around the removal of the fuel subsidy is the main reason people are angry. I think the government has missed the point of peoples' anger about the fuel subsidy. It is not an economic argument; it is not a political argument because some of the people in government are accusing some of us in the opposition of being opposed to it for political reasons. It is more than that. It is a trust issue. Nigerians do not trust this government to use the resources well and there is nothing the government can do to earn that trust unless they get the work of the people done. This government has earned $200 billion from the sale of crude oil and taxes in the last four years and it has done nothing with it. Why would another $7 billion make the difference?

If you were President at this moment, how would you handle the situation?

As I said, the issue is one of trust. If another government was in power, let us assume General Buhari was the President of Nigeria, he would not withdraw the subsidy. He will fix the problem. He will audit who is taking the money in the subsidy, who is paying what, how the money multiply three times in one year and fish out the thieves and deal with them.

So, why do you think Jonathan lacks the political will to deal with them?

[b]Because they financed his election. But Buhari would have sorted that out. That is the first thing to do. Now, while you are paying the subsidy, even one quarter of what you are paying is a lot. General Buhari's administration would have ensured that within 12 months all the refineries are working at full capacity. His administration would have built the fourth refinery that will bring our domestic production to the point that we don't need to import a single drop of petrol. And once we can produce our petrol from our own crude oil, at out own cost, we can sell it at any price we like. That is what Buhari's government would have done. Nigerians made a very big mistake for not electing Buhari, and they are learning every day. Many people have told me that they voted for Jonathan and they are regretting it now.
There is no question of Buhari withdrawing subsidy because he has been Petroleum Minister, Chairman of Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) and so on. He built three out of the four refineries we have in this country. And he built that out of patriotism to ensure that we can produce domestically. So, the question of withdrawing subsidy would not even be on the table.[/b]

Let's talk about the security situation in the country. You are a Northerner and the Boko Haram sect happens to be a Northern group. How do you view its activities?

I don't like thinking of myself as a Northerner. I see myself as a Nigerian that happens to have been born in one part of Nigeria. Now, nobody knows really whether Boko Haram is from the North or from anywhere. Nobody knows for sure because their leaders were killed. Now, anybody can come to my house and plant bomb and say it is Boko Haram.

A few days ago, I saw on the internet pictures of some people covering their faces, wearing jeans and saying that they are Boko Haram; that Southerners should leave the North. I am sure that those people are not Boko Haram. Boko Haram people don't wear jeans. They wear Kaftan and their trousers are like this (folding his trouser to demonstrate the kind of trousers the Boko Haram members wear). There are people that are claiming to be Boko Haram and they are not because nobody knows who is Boko Haram. So anyone can make the claim. I think that what we have in Boko Haram and other insurgencies is not only Boko Haram.

The Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) paraded through Lagos, shooting in the air and the police ran into hiding. There are kidnappers all over the South-East. Insurgence in Niger Delta; these are all a symptom of the breakdown of the capacity of the state and unless the government stands up and secure the lives and property of the people, they are leading us towards failure. I believe that beyond Boko Haram, which is a metaphor for dissatisfaction with the state, there is something going on. There are forces within the government and outside the government collaborating to try to throw this country into crisis. I do not believe that some of these things in the name of Boko Haram and so on and so forth are (done by) Boko Haram.

That means the issue of Northern politicians sponsoring Boko Haram is baseless?

If Northern politicians are sponsoring them, they should name them. They should stop threatening that we know the sponsors. If you know the sponsors, why are they still working the streets? If you are a real government and you have your information, why are they not in court, being charged for what they are doing to this state?

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/08/national-08-01-2012-005.html

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by MAYOWAAK: 12:15am On Jan 08, 2012
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Rad1cal: 12:24am On Jan 08, 2012
Elrufai keeps saying shiet consistently just to get heard

of course he has the freedom of speech to release his pungent crap
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by DRANOEL(m): 12:31am On Jan 08, 2012
Rad1cal:

Elrufai keeps saying shiet consistently just to get heard

of course he has the freedom of speech to release his pungent crap

and what shiet did he say there? i thought that was brilliant
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by BIGERBOY1: 12:36am On Jan 08, 2012
U might not agree with rufai but what he is stating is the truth
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by BlackPikiN(m): 12:59am On Jan 08, 2012
El-Rufai should burn in hell!
He's a corrupt morapoka!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 3:28am On Jan 08, 2012
Even if a he-goat stands for election against Buhari, Buhari will still loose

Buhari is not right for Nigeria and will never be, if he likes let him run for election another 20 times he will still fail!

El-Rufai is becoming ridiculous by the day and am glad we are opportuined to know what a bigot El-Rufai is.

Is there anybody in Nigeria who has a doubt where Boko Haram originated from other than El-Rufai?

Shame on this guy!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by MarcAnthon(m): 3:42am On Jan 08, 2012
^^^ I can't believe you would say that after the mistake you and your ilk have burdened us with ala Jon Dumbo. We had a golden opportunity to change Nigeria and put her on the right track with the elections in April but we blew it because we couldn't rise beyond our prejudices to put the nation first and relegate our myopic interests. How then do you mor0ns expect these so called leaders you elected with those ungodly sentiments to put national interest ahead of their greed?

Now we're living in the reality of your mistakes and you still can say all that trash? A big shame on you!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 3:48am On Jan 08, 2012
^^^^^^

Go check the facts was never a fan of Jonathan before the election, was hoping he would loose PDP primary. When that did not happen I hoped a credible opposition candidate will emerge but there was none. Buhari is not an option because he was part of those who destryed Nigeria!

Buhari will still fail if you call an election today because Buhari is one of the reasons Nigeria is where it is today. I have debated this fact extensively and the idea that somehow Buhari is now the solution of Nigeria's problems makes no sense. Just before you begin to ask how, remember Nigeria's story did not begin in 1999. This country was born in 1960 and since then there were so many missed opportunities and Buhari played a significant role in denying Nigerians continuos progress.

He is a waste of space!

shame on you for wishing on us a man who dragged this country back by 20yrs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by hercules07: 5:21am On Jan 08, 2012
Can Mike please let us know how Buhari dragged us back by 20 years, if you are referring to the civil war and the coups, no region will come out of that clean.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by TRUTHTELA: 5:46am On Jan 08, 2012
Do they need El rufai to tell them? You have someone( Buhari ), that have not stolen from the public treasury, despites all the oppourtunities he had and a well known ROUGE ( Jonathan ) , contesting an election and people foolishly voted for the LATTER,now he wants to implement ROGUE policies, for him to have more funds to steal & you people are crying, you have seen nothing yet. Knowing that CORRUPTION is the only OBSTACLE in Nigeria, Until Buhari, or somone that is as HONEST as him becomes the president, SUFFERing,will be the order of the day. Myopic & dumb excuses, like religion & tribe put Nigerians in this MESS. Who cares about something so INCONSEQENTIAL as tribe & religion in this 21century? Nigerians does! You asked for goodluck, live with it.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by mensdept: 6:01am On Jan 08, 2012
In the United States, say an army general overthrew the government, especially at a time that many parts of the country were developing for the first time in 13 years. This man who was not elected by the people, did not have the peoples mandate, and who decided to militarize the nation was overthrown and left in the wilderness for sometime. Then the man comes to join another military rogues government as chairman of a fund that the rogue created, praised the rogue, and then decided that he should run for president?

I bet you that that man would not even have the audacity to contest for Mayor, not in the U.S., England, France, Germany, or even Tunisia.

Yet, Nigerians, because its the Nigg.a+Area, yes, Buhari is so better, we need him to come from 1983 and rule us in this new age because we feel he will be honest se'?

Common
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 08, 2012
El Rufai says: "There are forces within the government and outside the government collaborating to try to throw this country into crisis. I do not believe that some of these things in the name of Boko Haram and so on and so forth are (done by) Boko Haram."

El Rufai couldn't have been more explicit on this. I have said this and will continue to say this: There are foreign agents operating under the guise of Boko Haram to destroy Nigeria. Nigerians listen carefully, I know most of us are inherently very stubborn. What is wrong with you people? I don't get how you guys think. Can't you see all the hand writing on the wall? What other evidence so you need to get convinced?  Is it when Nigeria has degenerated to the level Libya finds it self today, will you open your eyes?

For all of you bashing Buhari, I am not a fool, [b][b]if a president or head of state can build 3 out of the 4 refineries we have in Nigeria[/b][/b], then that tells me he believes in Nigeria and will get my vote any time. What other evidence do you need? Keep in my I am Igbo and christian but this cuts across ethnicity and creed.

The outside forces El Rufai talks about are responsible for the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and murder of late General Sani Abacha.  And now,  they have Nigeria on their list as the next target and the trigger they have contrived to use in disintegration of Nigeria is Religious War!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by TRUTHTELA: 6:21am On Jan 08, 2012
@ MEN DEPT : Then Y'all should forever remain silent & enjoy the dividens of KLEPTOCRACY delivered by " DEMOCRATIC ROUGES". Why won't Buhari kick out the awkward Shagari's govt, which Goodluck's govt is the replica of that Shagari's?? Take a look @ all the crap, confusion, stealing, chaos & mass killing going on, simply because of one DUMB & INCOMPETENT ROGUE is the president and when a BRAVE, SELFLESS & PATRIOTIC Soldier comes to the rescue, you'll tell me is not justified? The countries you mentioned took a different route to rescue their own nations back in the day, the ethnic & religious fissures in Nigeria is too much for us to go their route, therefore, Buhari's style is allowed & will be tolorated. Look around you, everyone is yearning for them to come to their rescue.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by holahabib: 6:23am On Jan 08, 2012
ttt
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:24am On Jan 08, 2012
Is any govt man even honest?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:34am On Jan 08, 2012
" You are a Northerner and the Boko Haram sect happens to be a Northern group. How do you view its activities?"

Why can't the journalist just say you are a Nigerian instead of the "Northerner" mentioned. You see? The problem of sectarianism, tribalism, or what ever the term is in this country is further worsened by some so-called Journalists. angry It's high time they grow up and stop all these nonsense. angry Boko Haram is a northern based group, yes, but all these division some people try to create ( making themselves the tools of the cowardly haramites) will lead us no where.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 08, 2012
mens dept:

In the United States, say an army general overthrew the government, especially at a time that many parts of the country were developing for the first time in 13 years. This man who was not elected by the people, did not have the peoples mandate, and who decided to militarize the nation was overthrown and left in the wilderness for sometime. Then the man comes to join another military rogues government as chairman of a fund that the rogue created, praised the rogue, and then decided that he should run for president?

I bet you that that man would not even have the audacity to contest for Mayor, not in the U.S., England, France, Germany, or even Tunisia.

Yet, Nigerians, because its the Nigg.a+Area, yes, Buhari is so better, we need him to come from 1983 and rule us in this new age because we feel he will be honest se'?

Common

Another brainwashed Nigerian who lives abroad and thinks things should be done in Nigeria as it is done in these countries. Let me warn you, never you mention France, US, Britain - these BLOOD SUCKERS OF BLACK RACE/AFRICAN PEOPLE-  on this forum. That tells me the level of your thinking and inferiority complex you have. These same countries that literally pillaged Libya, and against the progress of Africa.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by papadenzel(m): 6:37am On Jan 08, 2012
Mayb Buhari should b put in charge of running d subsidy removal funds and ensure it's reinvestment!given a free rein 2 perform dis role! Then and only then will we permit and tolerate dis misrule of GEJ
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by CyberG: 6:37am On Jan 08, 2012
TRUTHTELA:

@ MEN DEPT : Then Y'all should forever remain silent & enjoy the dividens of KLEPTOCRACY delivered by  " DEMOCRATIC ROUGES". Why won't Buhari kick out the awkward Shagari's govt, which Goodluck's govt is the replica of that Shagari's?? Take a look @ all the crap, confusion, stealing, chaos & mass killing going on, simply  because of one DUMB  & INCOMPETENT ROGUE is the president and when a BRAVE, SELFLESS & PATRIOTIC Soldier comes to the rescue, you'll tell me is not justified? The countries you mentioned took a different route to rescue their own nations back in the day, the ethnic & religious fissures in Nigeria is too much for us to go their route, therefore, Buhari's style is allowed & will be tolorated. Look around you, everyone is yearning for them to come to their rescue.

Right-on the money! Shagari's government was just like slow Yaradua's but Jonze-a-thon Goatluck blows both out of the water in stupidity, daftness, cluelessness, corruption and MORE! If any coup blows out this foolish president's brains now, they will be instant heroes because why should 500+ people be sacrificed for this foolish president's dumbness while he gets to eat ~ N 1 Billion Naira food while doing nothing? It is better he is killed immediately!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 08, 2012
@ Holahabib "You elected your lesser evil right?  GEJ(Clueless, Corrupt, No background of performance,Christian) against Buhari(Army General, Incorruptible, honest with track record of performance,Muslim)"

Better grow up angry you are not a baby at all, okay? If an official delivers, it has nothing to do with his religion but only his personality. abi u need someone to stamp that into your thick skull? angry
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:39am On Jan 08, 2012
My views on Boko Haram
Boko Haram, Mend, GEJ all have same sponsors. The country is suffering from an internal PDP struggle. Not a North/South struggle, but a 'who must get power' struggle. The party had a zoning agreement and GEJouncr broke it.
These men are evil and realise Nigerians are driven heavily by sentiments (through no fault of ours),
Wonder why it was GEJ not BH that bombed us on New Year?
Wonder why no one has been apprehended or sacked ever since these bombings began?
Mend supposedly blew a bomb on Oct 1. Okah didn't play ball(remember he said the govt tried to force him to blame it on the north). So BH was the next ideology to be hijacked.

On GEJ's speech yday
The basic salary of a Nigerian senator is  N2,484 245.50, 25% means GEJ would be taking off just over 500,000 naira from their salary. This excludes other allowances like hardship allowance, etc,

On fuel subsidy
Like prisioners, they take us to firing range of FUEL SUBSIDY. We are promised that if we survive, we will be moved to better jails.

Nairaland's MUSKEETO wink
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Kolababa: 6:41am On Jan 08, 2012
SOME nigerians are fools indeed.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:43am On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

^^^^^^

Go check the facts was never a fan of Jonathan before the election, was hoping he would loose PDP primary.

Oya, tell us who you hoped won the PDP Primaries.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:44am On Jan 08, 2012
Danka7777:

El Rufai says: "There are forces within the government and outside the government collaborating to try to throw this country into crisis. I do not believe that some of these things in the name of Boko Haram and so on and so forth are (done by) Boko Haram."

El Rufai couldn't have been more explicit on this. I have said this and will continue to say this: There are foreign agents operating under the guise of Boko Haram to destroy Nigeria. Nigerians listen carefully, I know most of us are inherently very stubborn. What is wrong with you people? I don't get how you guys think. Can't you see all the hand writing on the wall? What other evidence so you need to get convinced?  Is it when Nigeria has degenerated to the level Libya finds it self today, will you open your eyes?

For all of you bashing Buhari, I am not a fool, [b][b]if a president or head of state can build 3 out of the 4 refineries we have in Nigeria[/b][/b], then that tells me he believes in Nigeria and will get my vote any time. What other evidence do you need? Keep in my I am Igbo and christian but this cuts across ethnicity and creed.

The outside forces El Rufai talks about are responsible for the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and murder of late General Sani Abacha.  And now,  they have Nigeria on their list as the next target and the trigger they have contrived to use in disintegration of Nigeria is Religious War!  

Thanks bro. I'm also Igbo and Christian and I hope our people will listen.

Thieves and crooks in Nigeria appear in all kinds of native wears, private jets, caps and hats.

The crooks understand we are heavily sentimental. We would look at the messenger before listening to the message. This applies to everyone including religious adherents (take a look at threads mentioning the spiritual crooks on NL)

The Niger Deltans should realise that while they were right to vote a Southerner into power, the wrong guy is there. he does not represent our interests, neither does he seem to remember the people that voted him in.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by CyberG: 6:49am On Jan 08, 2012
musKeeto:

My views on Boko Haram
Boko Haram, Mend, GEJ all have same sponsors. The country is suffering from an internal PDP struggle. Not a North/South struggle, but a 'who must get power' struggle. The party had a zoning agreement and GEJouncr broke it.
These men are evil and realise Nigerians are driven heavily by sentiments (through no fault of ours),
Wonder why it was GEJ not BH that bombed us on New Year?
Wonder why no one has been apprehended or sacked ever since these bombings began?
Mend supposedly blew a bomb on Oct 1. Okah didn't play ball(remember he said the govt tried to force him to blame it on the north). So BH was the next ideology to be hijacked.

On GEJ's speech yday
The basic salary of a Nigerian senator is  N2,484 245.50, 25% means GEJ would be taking off just over 500,000 naira from their salary. This excludes other allowances like hardship allowance, etc,

On fuel subsidy
Like prisioners, they take us to firing range of FUEL SUBSIDY. We are promised that if we survive, we will be moved to better jails.

Nairaland's MUSKEETO wink

Musk. . .your analysis is INCOMPLETE. Read the speech again, that 25% is for 2012 ONLY! 25% is insignificant as you pointed out, they steal way more, corner all the major economic means in the country and then a measly 25% removal for 1 YEAR ONLY!?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by TRUTHTELA: 6:50am On Jan 08, 2012
For Jonathan to have the audacity to remove subsidy, despite the bokoharam challenges, I swear, he knows about them. There's a term called " STATE SPONSORED TERRORISM". Who knows that it was Abacha ( GOVT.) boyz that WAS  BEHIND Kudirat's murder, Ibru & Adesanya's murder attempt etc, remember that Bola was killed by who? unknown man, but all fingers points to govt. Jonathan is synonmous with EVIL. However, nobody is been asked to RESIGN.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by musawisdom(m): 6:50am On Jan 08, 2012
Many of us are religious bias, sentiment apart, we know buhari is an incorruptible leader who is able to fight corruption to the last. But because of our thinkings especially xtians they wont vote him.
God appointed jonathan against buhari as the president cos He wants to purnish us for our misdeeds in nigeria. Today on behalf of nigeria, i say 'astagfirLLah' 150million times. May Allah forgive us and shower His blessing upon us. Amin
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by TRUTHTELA: 6:52am On Jan 08, 2012
We dnt care about his 25% cut, he can sense it, that there is FIRE on the mountain. Therefore, the AGENDA is total change, we are reclaiming Nigeria. # OCCUPY NIGERIA & Jonathan MUST GO!!!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

Buhari is not an option because he was part of those who destryed Nigeria!

He is a waste of space!

shame on you for wishing on us a man who dragged this country back by 20yrs.

Buhari set us back 20 yrs by building 3 refineries and eliminating corruption? Nice one.

Maybe I'll like Nigeria to be dragged back another 20 yrs "Buhari" style
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by stayreal: 6:57am On Jan 08, 2012
Nigerians did not make a mistake, Nigeria is the mistake! It should have never been created. It is the white man's creation. Until you understand this, you are still blind!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Made A Mistake Not Electing Buhari – El-Rufai by tit(f): 6:57am On Jan 08, 2012
stop crying over split milk.
if you are still alive after next week's rioting, just plan on how to live your life without cheap oil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alleged N1trn Diversion: Senate Committee Walks Out EFCC Officials / APC UK Executives Visit President Buhari In UK (photos) / Adams Oshiomhole And His Many Nicknames

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.