Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,234 members, 7,807,779 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? (1084 Views)

Jega Working With North To Install Buhari - Edwin Clark & Alex Akueme / Southerners In The North - Will You Travel Out During Election? / Group Submits Bill For Registration Of Southerners In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by KnowAll(m): 9:02am On Jan 08, 2012
A Ghanaian man I once worked with in London told me a story of bravado by some Nigerians in S.A. when there was an anti-immigration uproar against other Africans in S.A. BY THE Local Blacks. The Zulus would descend on the Zims, and other Africans beating them to a pulp, but on one occasion they try to bridge a neighbourhood that had a lot of Nigerians especially the Igbo drug dealers(no offence intended) and they welcomed the Zulus by releasing many rounds and volleys of AK47 BULLETS making the Zulus to retreat unceremoniously, never to return and venture towards where the Nigerians were, quite impressive I must say. cool

He said this Nigerians were so rascally that at times they engaged the law enforcement officers in gun fights(can u imagine fighting policemen you an immigrant).

This story started making me to re-evaluate our security procedures in Nigeria, If Nigerians can defend their Interest in a foreign land, why can't they do same in their own country. if a Southerner or even a Northerner(probably a cattle seller in the south) is a good citizen, has a good job or business that is identifiable that person or business should have the right to bear arms and defend one's business or interest wherever one is. I mean the Authorities cannot be at every place at the same time(certainly not in Nigeria where the law enforcement agencies are more less comatose), so it makes sense for clergy men, business men, traders in the North and South to bear arms for self defence purposes.

Have we ever wondered why Americans have a right to bear arms? has anyone thought of it? Well, the reasons was because during westward movement of the settlers in the Eastern Seaboard, in those days, there was no law westward, it was an open country with a lot of hostile Red Indians and wilderbeast roaming all over the Prairies, people had to defend themselves and their homestead, making this old age tradition become part of the fabric of that society today.

I would support any motion where Traders, Businessmen, Clergymen and others with Identifiable source of income the universal right to bear arms and self defend themselves. Bearing arms helps stave and upheld any infringement that might ensue from a gun duel whilst the other people call the relevant law enforcement agencies to the rescue and secondly if a would be assassin knows most of his targets have arms he/she would think twice b4 embarking on that suicide mission.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by KnowAll(m): 9:39am On Jan 08, 2012
Security Contractors can become big business in Nigeria. All Nigeria has to do is register all would be security outfit and their personnel before issue them with license to bear arms. The Security Industry can absorb more than 10 Million unemployed youths in Nigeria. Can you imagine a Pastor hiring 5 Gun Toting Security personnel for his service knowing the tithes and offering are bounty-full enough to sustain such service, I guess even Almanjeris would apply to be Security personnel guiding a Church if the Salaries are mouth watering.  shocked

Imagine paying UN-employed youths N300 per hour, not a lot of money by internatinal standard but quite a bit in Nigeria especially for un-employed youths. We Should revamp our Security Industry in Nigeria.  cool

http://industry-icon.com/blog/tag/force-protection/
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by KnowAll(m): 10:51am On Jan 08, 2012
It amazes me an Igbo spear parts seller in Maiduguri or Sokoto or even Kano would have millions of Naira worth of gear in his shop but he is handicapped to protect and defend his wealth.

Like a quotation in the Bible goes " of what good is it for a man to gain the whole world and loses his soul". Of what good is the goods and wares to the Igbo Trader or any other Trader for that matter if they cannot defend themselves and their livelihood. It just does not make sense. undecided

The right to bear arms must be part and an integral part of our funder-mental human right. A man with a double barrel gun once held armed robbers at bay in a gun duel one night in Ibadan many years ago, the encounter went on for 4 hours, one of the Robbers was shot dead, and that was the last we heard of armed robbery in that neighbourhood.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Yeske2(m): 2:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
IMO, difficult as it may be i think they should return home.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by KnowAll(m): 2:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
IMO, difficult as it may be i think they should return home.

The idea of going home is a sisi and defeatist idea. Why don't the Igbos in S.A. GO Home. when you are armed the community you resides knows you can hold your own against any adversary, if they choose to go home, no qualms, but if they choose to stay put also no qualms each individual would decide and ascertain their own interest, that is they would have to know what would be good for their respective families, business or organisation but going home at a whim is not something I would support.

Of course I would support them going home, considering the precarious situation they find themselves today, where they are not allowed to bear arms to defend themselves. SO basically for now it is a no win situation for them. Home might be the safest bet.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by hakanai(m): 5:38pm On Jan 08, 2012
whether it is time?People inclusive of the Igbos have being doing that since before now.Maybe you mean add more and let everyone do same.The foolish thing about arming is that the person after you would try to match that.before now it was less sophisticated but with time the crisis has made small arms prevalent so its about how many and guts to use them or run.
Like in Jos Ak47 is sold massively as low as 120k to 140k.Knowing that arms are smuggled from the northern borders and sometimes from the south of Nigeria.I can tell you in every community in Jos people keep a number of various fire arms.Its all about how to use and guts.Sick country i tell you.
This said it is highly possible small arms are everywhere now.South and North,reason GEJ has continue to ask the UN for control over small arms.Mutual suspicion has cause a serious demand for them.People hardly even care about pump action or single barrel.They go for automatic rifles to make more damage.So it is about what you feel you enemy is capable of doing.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
How does arming southerners living in northern Nigeria solve the problem? Northerners will also be armed, remember? The Northerners have the motive to kill while the southerners only defend. Those planning to kill won't tell you their plans. You can only defend after an attack (when some have already died). You may even not be alive to defend

Unless the southerners adopt an attack mode as a form of defense, this is a dumb idea.
Best idea: all southerners move back south (send all northerners back too) and then secure your border. If they come to the south, then the war begins.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by KnowAll(m): 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2012
How does arming southerners living in northern Nigeria solve the problem? Northerners will also be armed, remember? The Northerners have the motive to kill while the southerners only defend. Those planning to kill won't tell you their plans. You can only defend after an attack (when some have already died). You may even not be alive to defend

Unless the southerners adopt an attack mode as a form of defense, this is a dumb idea.
Best idea: all southerners move back south (send all northerners back too) and then secure your border. If they come to the south, then the war begins.

It is not only Southerners that needs to be armed also a Northerners doing business in the South like those poor folks in Sapele. A Motive to kill does not mean you would win in a fire fight, if you think along those lines shop keepers in the United States would not be bearing arms, the balance is 50-50. And most Igbo shops I have being to, there are normally more than one person in the shop and most shoppers tend to be around each other, so an intruder that starts a fire fight would have to overpower everyone around.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 6:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
KnowAll:

It is not only Southerners that needs to be armed also a Northerners doing business in the South like those poor folks in Sapele. A Motive to kill does not mean you would win in a fire fight, if you think along those lines shop keepers in the United States would not be bearing arms, the balance is 50-50. And most Igbo shops I have being to, there are normally more than one person in the shop and most shoppers tend to be around each other, so an intruder that starts a fire fight would have to overpower everyone around.

Let's assume the northerners and the southerners have similar types of fire arms (for e.g., a gun that shoots 20 rounds of bullets). So each will fire 20 rounds of bullet at the other before reloading. There are probably a few million southerners in northern Nigeria while there are tens of millions of northerners in their land. So bullet for bullet and shooter for shooter who loses?

In a short burst fight, the outcome will be unpredictable but in a prolonged warfare (most likely what the situation will be), number counts, okay?
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by KnowAll(m): 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2012
There are probably a few million southerners in northern Nigeria w[b]hile there are tens of millions of northerners in their land. So bullet for bullet and shooter for shooter who loses?[/b]

In a short burst fight, the outcome will be unpredictable but in a prolonged warfare (most likely what the situation will be), number counts, okay?

Are u suggesting all the Northerners are Boko Haram. I don't get u, obviously if the North as a whole are saying they do not want any Southerner in the North then there is no point being a united country. It is time to break up then. But did'nt you read  how the people of Kano State said they were going to shield their christain brothers and sisters from attack. That is encouraging.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
KnowAll:

Are u suggesting all the Northerners are Boko Haram. I don't get u, obviously if the North as a whole are saying they do not want any Southerner in the North then there is no point being a united country. It is time to break up then. But did'nt you read  how the people of Kano State said they were going to shield their christain brothers and sisters from attack. That is encouraging.

When the die is cast, everybody will bear their papas name. I cannot imagine any northerner (muslims I mean) dying for a southerner. They all may not be BH now, but at some point it will be every man to themselves.

Best idea: all southerners move back south (send all northerners back too) and then secure your border. If they come to the south, then the war begins

BTW, is this not an opportunity offfered on a platter of gold for Nigeria to separate? They said we should go. What are we waiting for? Sometimes I am confused as to what southerners (Igbos in this case, since I speak only about my own) want.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by PointB: 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
Bearing arms is a good idea.

@Nchara, when the intruder know that the would be victims are armed to teeth like them, the would be more cautious in their approach. It would require more planning, larger number, and serious coordination for any successful attack to take place. This difficulties will leave a lot of trail due ti potential for mistakes. And they would also suffer casualties. I am with Knowall in this.

personally, i don't agree that every Igbo should live the North unless of course to Biafra. Those with no serious interests to protect and women and children should return but others can and should stay. Standing up, mobilizing, and conducting preemptive strikes to protect themselves is what I would suggest. A faceless vigilante group oiled by Igbo businessmen in the north is appropriate at this point in time.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 6:29pm On Jan 08, 2012
PointB:

Bearing arms is a good idea.

@Nchara, when the intruder know that the would be victims are armed to teeth like them, the would be more cautious in their approach. It would require more planning, larger number, and serious coordination for any successful attack to take place. This difficulties will leave a lot of trail due ti potential for mistakes. And they would also suffer casualties. I am with Knowall in this.

personally, i don't agree that every Igbo should live the North unless of course to Biafra. Those with no serious interests to protect and women and children should return but others can and should stay. Standing up, mobilizing, and conducting preemptive strikes to protect themselves is what I would suggest. A faceless vigilante group oiled by Igbo businessmen in the north is appropriate at this point in time.

Igbos living in the North cannot fight the North in the North. You will simply be overwhelmed. Besides, what is the joy in living under fear of death for the rest of your live?
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by PointB: 6:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
Defending themselves at least until the government improve security is what is being proposed. But if Igbos in the north are to return back is should be to Biafra, as long as we remain One Nigeria, the battle ground should be outside Igboland.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 6:52pm On Jan 08, 2012
PointB:

Defending themselves at least until the government improve security is what is being proposed. But if Igbos in the north are to return back is should be to Biafra, as long as we remain One Nigeria, the battle ground should be outside Igboland.

If you wait for the govt to improve security, you may wait forever. Unless you speak of a military govt.
Will you sit in one place forever to defend yourself? How about hunger that will drive you out and then you get killed while in search of food? It is senseless remaining in Northern Nigeria at this point.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by PointB: 7:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
Flash points will always gain more attention by the security personnel, bearing arms will give them fighting chance and increase their survival rate while at the same time reducing the frequency of the attacks. Why do you think the Berom in Jos are still standing despite the size of the fulani/hausa attackers.

like I said earlier those who have no interest to protect should return while those who have cogent reason to stay should be armed and ready and possible take the fight to identified targets. If the north is to be declared a war zone so be it!
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
PointB:

Flash points will always gain more attention by the security personnel, bearing arms will give them fighting chance and increase their survival rate while at the same time reducing the frequency of the attacks. Why do you think the Berom in Jos are still standing despite the size of the fulani/hausa attackers.

like I said earlier those who have no interest to protect should return while those who have cogent reason to stay should be armed and ready and possible take the fight to identified targets. If the north is to be declared a war zone so be it!

How happy will you be living in a place you know your life can be taken the next moment not by natural causes but by the bullet of an unprovoked enemy?
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 08, 2012
How do u bear arms against a coward who sneaks into your midst to detonate a bumb.

I think Southerners should relocate and leave the arid North to Northerners! I really dont see what they are doing up there.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by hakanai(m): 7:38pm On Jan 08, 2012
PointB:

I can tell you that before now the beroms had a field day invading and destroying anything hausa and fulani community.The advent of small arms ensure the balance and not the other way.You can't justify your claims.Let me give you an instance.Do you think if not the element of surprise can the few hundred Fulani attackers carry out an attack on a community with thousands of people like that?Get your facts straight.The Fulani attack at night and element of surprise is the way.They simply attack vulnerable spots.Also you can't really be alert all day all night sometimes you let your guards down.
     Berom have killed and cleared hausa communities in heigpang,Kuru karama,farin gada,Gada biyu,Bauchi by pass,vom and alot more.find out.
The Beroms have also tried such revenge assaults only that media rarely report such.In most cases the communities they seek to attack is mostly alert because the Hausas and fulani know better. that the goals of the Berom is to wipe them clean.Both sides have militias and also sentry to protect them.But somehow the Beroms a times let there guards down simple.The hausa/fulani communities have grouped into large areas they control like heart of bukuru,Barkin ladi,Jos main town etc.Making it even harder to be attacked by Berom Militia because they are also armed and in there hundred of thousands.The best the Berom do is lay ambush on motorist and pick out there will be victims to kill.Which always expose them to law enforcement coming to disperse them.
    If you see a berom militia mob in attack mod you freak out,but knowing it is about suffering the fate of kuru- karama and tim-tim victims if you lose, you would better fight to the death and that survival instinct keeps people alive.They come in numbers because they mobilize communitiy upon community.They would cover and entire landscape.Men and women.Guns do most of the trick and guts.they got guns too.But when they are in the open invading an armed community they suffer serious casualties.Making it unthinkable.when such happen guys i tell you the army needs armored vehicles and gun ships to hault it.Otherwise army on foot is target. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by hakanai(m): 7:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
I say learn from the survival instinct in Plateau of hausa,fulani and Berom communities.Bigger numbers better,good guns cool and being alert or informed is critical.Then some actions tell you what to expect due to peculiarities in the past.When the indicators trigger you better be within your base of control and ready to defend.shikenan. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 7:48pm On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

How do u bear arms against a coward who sneaks into your midst to detonate a bumb.

I think Southerners should relocate and leave the arid North to Northerners! I really dont see what they are doing up there.

We even overlooked that important piece of info: that these days it is more of bombing than shooting. Thanks.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Jakumo(m): 7:53pm On Jan 08, 2012
Reaching into the cliche bin again, this old classic bears dusting off:   "If guns are outlawed, the only outlaws would have guns."    Fortunately, guns are NOT outlawed in Nigeria.   It is the use of guns for self-defence that remains ILLEGAL under Nigerian law, which only approves the use of firearms for "Gaming and Hunting" according to the itemized restrictions printed in current-issue Nigerian gun-permit booklets.   It is therefore technically possible, by the letter of Nigerian law, for a home-owner who shoots dead an armed home-invading bandit, in protection of his family, to face arrest and capital murder charges in court.  

Bravo to Baba Ibadan who held armed robbers at bay for hours, saving the day.  Nigeria needs to hear more accounts like that one. To make such heroic outcomes more likely, a simple amendment to the Nigerian firearms statutes, legitimizing the use of guns in PROVEN cases of self-defence, would do the trick.  The present legal stipulation that firearms may not be used to protect loved ones simply EMBOLDENS criminals, by assuring them that the chances of getting shot by a law-abiding citizen are low.   Specifically permitting the use of duly licenced firearms for the application of deadly force in defence of home, self and family, will remove an imposing mental barrier to act instinctively for immediate survival, should a legally armed home-owner find their residence under siege in the dead of night.  

If home invasion bandits are served notice that they could be shot dead, and with no legal consequences to their intended victims, the criminals will IMMEDIATELY discontinue their current practice of holding entire residential neighborhoods to ransom for hours of plunder and blood-letting.  When the gunfire is suddenly INCOMING, even the most daring night marauder will pause, falter, flee or die, depending on the marksmanship of those they seek to subdue and raid.

By the same token, when Boko Haram terrorist shooters or bombers who know they could be cut down in a hail of lead served up by previously helpless bar patrons, they will have to re-write their entire operational philosophy from scratch.    In a politically volatile phase of history such as that through which Nigeria now travels, the civilian populace MUST be granted the LEGAL authorisation to use licenced weapons not only for "Hunting and Gaming", but for self-defence whenever IMMEDIATE threats cannot be handled by the police or military.

Guns are ALREADY legal to own in Nigeria.  It is the prohibition on self-defence shooting that MUST be repealed as a matter of great urgency.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Katsumoto: 9:16pm On Jan 08, 2012
Nchara:

How happy will you be living in place you know your life can be taken the next moment not by natural causes but by the bullet of an unprovoked enemy?

You appear to be missing the point. A man who decides, out of not having other choices, to remain in the North should have the right and ability to at least defend himself. Not only is bearing arms a deterrent against would be attackers, bearing arms also gives you the opportunity to go down fighting, if you are going to die, instead of being killed like game.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 9:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

You appear to be missing the point. A man who decides, out of not having other choices, to remain in the North should have the right and ability to at least defend himself. Not only is bearing arms a deterrent against would be attackers, bearing arms also gives you the opportunity to go down fighting, if you are going to die, instead of being killed like game.

No, am not missing the point. Yes they can bear arms to try to defend themselves. Going down with a fight and not going down at all which is better? Really, what is the point of living such an existence in the first place where you have to watch your back all the time? Would you prefer that kind of existence? I would not.

It is not exactly true that those people have no other choices. They simply are ignorant of other choices available to them, are stubborn to death, or something else I do not know. Read here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-841422.0.html
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Katsumoto: 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
Nchara:

No, am not missing the point. Yes they can bear arms to try to defend themselves. But what is the point of living such an existence in the first place? Would you prefer that kind of existence? I would not.

I agree with you in not wanting that kind of life, however, each being will assess risks differently and is at liberty to choose the kind of life he/she wants. Do not forget that there are those who do not have a choice and are mandated to live in hostile areas for at least a year. I am referring in particular to corpers who will not be able to secure employment without completing their service.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by Nchara: 9:28pm On Jan 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

I agree with you in not wanting that kind of life, however, each being will assess risks differently and is at liberty to choose the kind of life he/she wants. Do not forget that there are those who do not have a choice and are mandated to live in hostile areas for at least a year. I am referring in particular to corpers who will not be able to secure employment without completing their service.

Talking about choices, please read the link in my revised post above yours. The link is here too https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-841422.0.html
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by PointB: 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2012
@nchara, you heard from haka_nai there is a template for this type of defensive maneuver. Igbos who choose to stay for obvious reasons should band together in groups and provide security for themselves by living in enclaves/stronghold. Like the sabon gari in Kano.

@jakumo, thanks for clearing the air on the technicalities involved in bearing arms. I hope the law is amended ti provide the use of such arms in self defense. The stake are high, bearing arms for defensive purpose will at least level the playing field.

@Nchara, despite all the options available, as Kats noted, there will still be southerners especially Igbo who will remain in the north. they reserve the right to go down fighting at the very least, legally bearing arms will assure them of the right.
Re: Is It Not High Time For Igbos & Southerners In The North To Bear Arms? by FACE(m): 10:34pm On Jan 08, 2012
Their attackers do not bear gun legally so why should they be expected to conform to the law to protect themselves ?

I know someone who owns two licensed 12 guage shotguns (automatic) and he uses both slugs and cartridges for the shotguns. He also has another emergency one which he conceals in a dugout in his house. In June last year, he had a gun fight with armed robbers which lasted for more than two hours (you need to see the photo of bullet holes to the walls and gate), the police eventually arrived after the robbers had escaped. However, on their way out, they also had a shootout with the vigillante and one of them was gunned down, another was hit and was captured. The 3rd person was also caught the next day in a bush. These were people who were robbing the whole neighbourhood unchallenged. They also shot one of their victims before they met fire for fire. They won't rob no more !

I will advise anyone who wants to remain in the north to get a nice gun ASAP. Someone (haka nai) mentioned that AKs are being sold for 120k in Jos, so it shouldn't be too difficult getting their own peace makers. They are in a war zone and they must act to protect themselves or go down fighting at the very least.

(1) (Reply)

Hey Socialist Nigerians, You Are Bunch Of Cry Babies! / Ex Boko Haram Leader, Now Converted To The Christian, Fingers Ibb And Others / Delta Villagers Protest Killings By Fulani Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.