Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? (13493 Views)

Photo Of NLC Chairman's Landcruiser, Same Man Condemning Senators Lol / Remove Fuel Subsidy, Face Our Wrath - NLC, TUC Warn Buhari / PDP Calls For Overthrow Of NLC, TUC Leadership! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:34am On Jan 09, 2012
Fun Day

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:36am On Jan 09, 2012
nlc/ tuc party on us: HEY! grin

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 09, 2012
x-fire:

@bliss4life and co. You simply don't understand the significance of this strike action, or maybe you choose to close your eyes to the inefficiencies and corruption in our government system. THIS STRIKE SIGNIFIES THAT NIGERIANS ARE TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF BY THE GOV'T and have been pushed to the limits by the i competence of our governmeny. It is people like you and your ilk that will always try to discourage people against revolution and the fight for a new Nigeria. We have chosen to protest and fight for the welfare of Nigerians, we have chosen and fight against the incompetence and irresponsibility of our govt headed by the clueless Jonathan. I have really tried to refrain myself from calling you names, but one thing I know is that there will always be traitors amongst us who never see anything good in LEGITIMATELY fighting for our rights and instead the traitors stoop so low to a level of idi.ocy to discourage people from doing so. Please don't be one of them. A word is enough for the wise

Stop addressing the bit-ch.If beaf can lead the pack because jonathan is an ijaw,what else do you want from this op ? Bunch of hypocrites !
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by karlmax2: 10:39am On Jan 09, 2012
georgeiyke009:

SEE WHY I MUST DENY MY NIGER-DELTA BROTHER (GEJ) THIS
SEASON.
>Subject:FUEL
SUBSIDY EQUATION

This economic puzzle is simple enough for anyone to solve.

* Fuel subsidy itself is a scam
* Removal of self subsidy is a scam
* Turn around maintenance of refineries is a scam
* Non development of new refineries is a scam
* Insincerity of government is a scam

Fuel Subsidy Equation
------------------------
1) One barrel of Crude oil = 42gallons or 159 litres

2) Our Refineries (i.e 4) Installed (combined) capacity = 445,000 barrels per day

3) Actual refineries capacity due to ageing equipment = 30% i.e. 133,500 barrels per day

4) . . 133,500 barrels = 21.2 million litres

5) Local required consumption (F.O.S) = 12millions litres

6) It means that even our MORIBOND refineries can actually meet our local consumption need of petroleum.

7) The cost structure of crude oil (i.e. Qua Iboe Crude Oil) production;
- Findings / development - $3.5
- Production cost - $1.5 - Refining Cost - $12.6
- Pipeline/transportation - $1.5
- Distr/bridging fund Margin -$15.69

True cost of one litre of petroleum anywhere in Nigeria ;
- Total sum cost = $34.8
- 1ltr cost = $34.8/159 litres = $0.219
- Naira equiv. 0.219xN160= N35.02k
- Add Tax N5 + N35.02 = N40.02

9) Let FGN refute the above composition above.

This ur theory would only work when our refineries Ʊ mentioned above is working but to be sincere Ʊ and I and Nigerians knw we import fuel. So now factor this into ur calculations and tell me if fuel can sell for 40naira

Imported Petrol has unnecessary additional costs like;

1. International Crude Oil Sale Price and Profit Margins.

2. Transportation Costs of Products from source Country to Nigeria.

3. Port Charges, Taxes and Export duties at source Country.

4. Insurance costs for transportation.

5. Brokerage costs for agents. That is what our goverment is trying to tell us that we cannot continue to subsidize even the small wey our refineries ∂eƔ produce the same nnpc and the marketers go collide claim say dem import am collect big money,
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 09, 2012
Just chilling in my humble abode, will russian vodka and beautiful models, protesting on bed grin
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 09, 2012
x-fire:

@bliss4life and co. You simply don't understand the significance of this strike action, or maybe you choose to close your eyes to the inefficiencies and corruption in our government system. THIS STRIKE SIGNIFIES THAT NIGERIANS ARE TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF BY THE GOV'T and have been pushed to the limits by the i competence of our governmeny. It is people like you and your ilk that will always try to discourage people against revolution and the fight for a new Nigeria. We have chosen to protest and fight for the welfare of Nigerians, we have chosen and fight against the incompetence and irresponsibility of our govt headed by the clueless Jonathan. I have really tried to refrain myself from calling you names, but one thing I know is that there will always be traitors amongst us who never see anything good in LEGITIMATELY fighting for our rights and instead the traitors stoop so low to a level of idi.ocy to discourage people from doing so. Please don't be one of them. A word is enough for the wise

^^^^

are you minding these twats.

what does that one know how to do other than spam incoherence in big purple fonts. she comes across as a blood relative of dame pj, all noise and incoherence  

when Nigerians were liberating the dunce from turais kitchen they were nowhere to be found

thank God the black race is not solely constituted of these losers of no backbone

these types would have shouted down civil rights marchers, forced rosa parks to stand up, ratted on fellow slaves who ran off.

AGIPs, the lot of them. the sort of useless traitors who can always be counted on to sell out their brothers for glass beads and a mirror.

the sort of good for nothings who endorsed abachas ambition, and jumped up to brand nadeco as traitors

pathetic quislings
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 09, 2012
oyb:

^^^^

are you minding these twats.

what does that one know how to do other than spam incoherence in big purple fonts. she comes across as a blood relative of dame pj, all noise and incoherence  

when Nigerians were liberating the dunce from turais kitchen they were nowhere to be found

thank God the black race is not solely constituted of these losers of no backbone

these types would have shouted down civil rights marchers, forced rosa parks to stand up, ratted on fellow slaves who ran off.

AGIPs, the lot of them. the sort of useless traitors who can always be counted on to sell out their brothers for glass beads and a mirror.

the sort of good for nothings who endorsed abachas ambition, and jumped up to brand nadeco as traitors

pathetic quislings

Dont mind the bloody opportunists.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

Stop acting stu.pid and stop thinking like a fish because of tribalism.

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing,  etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have  No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.

GBAM
This is getting more interesting.
I just hope this nlc.tuc strike go last for more than  2 weeks maximum
Nigerians are already tired of staying at home
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Keegan: 10:51am On Jan 09, 2012
babel, oh babel! begining of the end.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by cicero(m): 10:52am On Jan 09, 2012
Honestly the strike will not help the common man and I don't support it either, but the injustice and wickedness coming from the political class is if anything satanic.

The structure and institutions that will promote sustainable development and improve the standard of living of Nigerians are not in place, it would seem they are cash-strapped and the only place to get free cash to fund their proclivity to stealing and ostentatious living is from oil subsidy.

There is no steady power supply to promote small business and they are at a loss on what to do about it,
Our border is porous they have admitted and no provision for effective border patrol,
The government is wasteful and being run by prodigal men and women,
Security is now to the highest bidder, the common man has to protect himself from criminals and the underfunded, irresponsible and unintelligent police
Our education system has broken down, churning out half illiterates and cultists
Our refineries have become a subject for much debate, so much we can't even tell they present condition
Our political class is made up of 98% indian hemp smokers, ex criminals, cultists, immoral and lewd shenanigans,
Our population is getting out of hand while the system and structure for servicing is suffering from shrinkage and mismanagement
We have many smart and intelligent people yet they are useless Nigeria
We are among the very few nations that have not benefited from the technological advancement that other nations are deploying to their benefit.

Who will monitor the re investment? A legislature that openly moved against the prosecution of the so called cabal stealing oil subsidy.
They have said Nigerians should suffer a little, but they have  not told us exactly for how long and how they intend to get Nigerians out of the suffering.

We need help and the present political class on it's own does not have the capacity and discipline to provide the help.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by chyket(m): 10:55am On Jan 09, 2012
I guess contributions to this topic from people leaving outside Nigeria should be ignored.
If they live in Nigeria where You run generators in your Office and homes a minimum of 12hours a day each,I guess they will be able to appreciate things better.
We have a government who have resigned themselves  to fate and have clearly told me that they have no capacity to check the fraudulent practices in the oil sector and hence I should continue to use my hard earned money from my personally financed business to continue tp Pago IDE this daylight robbery while they hands off and use the savings made to finance their five star lifestyle.
The issues are simple
1 If our crude oil is refined in Nigeria,we will eliminate the following cost; freight cost of taking the crude abroad,freight cost of bringing fuel back,import duty on refined fuel etc
2 The same govt that wants to save 1.3tr from so called fuel subsidy is projecting to spend about 1tr on security in 2012
3 The Government Officials have clearly not shown any leadership in this Cost saving initiative been brandies about by them.
4 The finance Minister in 2006 when they paid off our external debt to our creditors in the amount of $12b,promised that the savings we will get from the money we previously used to service the debts will be used for infrastructure and where are the infrastructures.
5 Finally there is no provision for subsidy in 2012 budget and so where is Fed Govt going to get the money to finance the Kolade led subsidy commission that is saddled with the responsibility of providing palliatives.
The truth is that our Govt is very irrational and unreasonable and as Nigerians We are free to take any route we like to make sure government listens
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 09, 2012
Protest ko protest ni.Called so many friends in naija who feel it is good to observe the mandatory holiday.People chill at home and enjoy the little food u have stockpiled until u go broke,the same masses will fight NLC and TUC to go back to work when they run out of essentials.GEJ must nut change his stand on the removal of subsidy.Let them do their worse,patapata naija ma daru si wewe.Awon oloshi that can not protest against Boko harams but doing so against a positive economic policy
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by hisperform(m): 10:56am On Jan 09, 2012
When two giants are fighting is the grass that suffers. Just enjoy yourselves.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Koikoi(m): 10:58am On Jan 09, 2012
@oyb and bluetooth can't you both make any sentence without a foul word in it?
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 09, 2012
chyket:

I guess contributions to this topic from people leaving outside Nigeria should be ignored.
If they live in Nigeria where You run generators in your Office and homes a minimum of 12hours a day each,I guess they will be able to appreciate things better.
We have a government who have resigned themselves  to fate and have clearly told me that they have no capacity to check the fraudulent practices in the oil sector and hence I should continue to use my hard earned money from my personally financed business to continue tp Pago IDE this daylight robbery while they hands off and use the savings made to finance their five star lifestyle.
The issues are simple
1 If our crude oil is refined in Nigeria,we will eliminate the following cost; freight cost of taking the crude abroad,freight cost of bringing fuel back,import duty on refined fuel etc
2 The same govt that wants to save 1.3tr from so called fuel subsidy is projecting to spend about 1tr on security in 2012
3 The Government Officials have clearly not shown any leadership in this Cost saving initiative been brandies about by them.
4 The finance Minister in 2006 when they paid off our external debt to our creditors in the amount of $12b,promised that the savings we will get from the money we previously used to service the debts will be used for infrastructure and where are the infrastructures.
5 Finally there is no provision for subsidy in 2012 budget and so where is Fed Govt going to get the money to finance the Kolade led subsidy commission that is saddled with the responsibility of providing palliatives.
The truth is that our Govt is very irrational and unreasonable and as Nigerians We are free to take any route we like to make sure government listens
That some of us stay outside naija does not make us less Nigerians.We were in naija when diesel that runs the economy 70% was deregulated and there was no strike and we all coped with the situation then.Why cant we do the same now if this protest is not,Political,Religious and tribal against GEJ.This is the height of Hypocrisy
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 09, 2012
Koikoi:

@oyb and bluetooth can't you both make any sentence without a foul word in it?

the only thing these human beasts of burden - internet jackasses - understand is carrot and stick.

shameless animals who see a fight for the poor nigerian as a party.

what a wasted generation.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Chuks84(m): 11:09am On Jan 09, 2012
Bliss4life I am sorry to be insultive but you are ranting like an ignorant fool. I see your location is the UK and you think you know what's happening in the country? U say that the distribution of subsidy has been corrupted, if the government cannot combat corruption that is prevalent in every sector of the economy how do they expect to manage the finances saved from the removal of subsidy.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 09, 2012
^^^^

for a wasted loutess like that a demonstration is an opportunity to loot

i'm sure you'll find pics on her fb page of her grinning like a lobotomized ejiot with stolen hdtvs , adidas and rice during the uk riots
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by bros12345: 11:16am On Jan 09, 2012
Blis 4 death, u are a fuul, ozin u be muumu, u guys shld kiss asses around, gaystanders. We are tired of this directionless govt led by GEB. my grand mother can do bettter if given the position.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by PointB: 11:16am On Jan 09, 2012
@Bliss4lyf, don't let those cows cow you with their foul mouth. It is the responsibility of every sane citizen to support the subsidy removal. To this end you are doing a marvelous job. Kudos.

This subsidy removal will checkmate corruption at high level, stimulate local refining and encourage the building of more refineries in the country.

people will suffer in the short term, but in the medium to long term Nigeria will be better for it.

NLC/TUC protest is an illegality. This matter is not an industrial dispute, so what is the point of asking workers not to go to work? NLC/TUC should be fighting casualisation of workforce, increase in wages and other workers benefit. Leading this illegal strike action is a misplaced priority. If I were HR of companies, I will seriously query those who refuse to come to work especially in view of the national industrial court injunction.

to fellow workers out their, please don't be use by NLC/TUC and their oil marketers collaborators and sponsor to perpetuate illegality, please think again, when the chips are down, they won't come to your aid. Be wise!
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by ochukoccna: 11:21am On Jan 09, 2012
The point of the strike is to hit govt where it hurts i.e income.When will PENGASSAN join up?
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by najoke: 11:23am On Jan 09, 2012
How did this crap made front page
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by 9hmo(m): 11:26am On Jan 09, 2012
I support subsidy removal, lets give GEJ time to work. After today,go back home and think very well about this subsidy without sentiments,you will understand why it should be removed. I`m agaisnt subsidy removal,but after serious thoughts about our future in this country,have no option than to support the removal. THINK WISELY AND STOP POLITICISING EVERYTHING.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by mrjingles(m): 11:27am On Jan 09, 2012
This strike thing is like a buffet, everyone is going on strike for their own reasons, according to taste!I even saw one flyer asking for reversal of sale of NITEL, DAILY TIMES and NIGERIA AIRWAYS! Its now a fad, a me too affair, a fashion parade. It will fizzle out in no time, and not soon enough.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Adanora: 12:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
NLC\TUC re just stupid foolin nigerians dat want to b used.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by DisGuy: 12:07pm On Jan 09, 2012
fun day off work?

48% of the adult population are unemployed, 50% of civil servant are underemployed, 80% of civil servant head are 'not on seat attending weddings or awards- so which work are you talking about exactly?
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 09, 2012
Adanora:

NLC\TUC re just silly foolin nigerians dat want to b used.
You are the sill.y one. I wonder why people who will not do anything but sit in front of their laptops and type rubbish. Use your head for once. Can you tell me that you are happy about the pathetic situation of Nigeria, lead by Jonathan. Only a traitor, pretender and political fat cows like you, PointB, etc will rejoice in corruption, insecurity, incompetence, mediocrity and chaos. Pls be wise
Dis Guy:

fun day off work?

48% of the adult population are unemployed, 50% of civil servant are underemployed, 80% of civil servant head are 'not on seat attending weddings or awards- so which work are you talking about exactly?
One of the best comments so far in Nairaland cool
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:32pm On Jan 09, 2012
I dey laugh oooooo! grincheesy All u punks are barking up the wrong tree. All they do is throw abuses why i hit them with facts and economic wisdom.

Y' all can remain in abject poverty but this government is determined to pursue economic development with vigor.

I repeat, Nigeria needs to approach it's development and economic growth route as the only means to attaining an internationally recognized standard of living for its Citizens.

Economic Growth and Development(Industrialisation) not Subsidies. Get creative and productive Nigerians.    https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-840100.0.html
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:39pm On Jan 09, 2012
Fun day grin

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by aljharem(m): 12:40pm On Jan 09, 2012
what a typical nigerian is going through

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:44pm On Jan 09, 2012
^^GEJ and Okonjo to the rescue but Nigerians must trust them not to rescue subsidies whilst those that truely need help fall off. sad

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:48pm On Jan 09, 2012
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Would OBJ Have Handled Amaechi / Ballard Report: MS Document Shows Otto Riech, A Senior Partner At Ballard Author / INEC Worked Against APC, The Bias Is Clear - Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.