Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal (20095 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Senate Passes Motion Abolishing N702 Fixed Electricity Charges and Others / BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by REPSNIG: 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
The Federal House of Representatives has just passed a motion asking the FGN to suspend the removal of PMS Subsidy. The House also set up committees to look into the issue and invite Labour and the executive arm to a public hearing.

Just concluded emergency session first time in history on a Sunday.

Sai, Tambuwal.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by REPSNIG: 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
Front Page News urgently pls. So as to reduce tension 2moro.

Let's see the Presidency's reaction to this.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by MrGlobe(m): 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
Victory for Nigeria!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by PointB: 5:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
Whatever resolution passed by the lower house will still have to be seconded by the senate. And of course the president still have the right to exercise veto power.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by REPSNIG: 5:54pm On Jan 08, 2012
That's not the way it works - this is not a bill. A resolution does not bind the Presidency as such: it is more advisory - however it carries both strong political clout as well as being a pointer to the Executive that the 2012 Budget will not be passed by the legislator if the Resolution is not adhered to.

Tambuwal handled it very well. Great Leadership.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
It's adivosry. . .
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Remii(m): 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2012
REP S NIG:

That's not the way it works - this is not a bill. A resolution does not bind the Presidency as such: it is more advisory - however it carries both strong political clout as well as being a pointer to the Executive that the 2012 Budget will not be passed by the legislator if the Resolution is not adhered to.

Tambuwal handled it very well. Great Leadership.

tell them!. I guess, the senate must pass the same motion then both houses must harmonize and send same to presidency for accent before it becomes law.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Ess: 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2012
One down!!!
Kudos to the house!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by bebe4u(f): 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
i watched those clowns in the house jabbed away.  if its not binding on the president as someone pointed out, its as good as dead after two fuel tankers have been delivered to their houses as a bribe by the presidency.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by megawax8: 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
Wateva it is,an advisory,a bill,a comment,or sum1's dream dat found its way to d news,it sure a gud tin, way forward!, aluta continua,victoria ascerta!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by olak2k8: 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2012
i think NLC can still go on with the strike until the GEJ actually reverse the fuel price as passed by the house of reps
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by LEXYLOV: 6:18pm On Jan 08, 2012
The next should be impeachment process to DELETE Odechukwu and Co from Aso villa. undecided
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Sonofpeace(m): 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
As much as i know, this act of parliament is simply an advice to the presidency and also for him to know that Nigeria as a whole reject the removal of fuel subsidy.
Its then left to the executive to accept or reject this motion. But if i were to be Mr President i will gradly reverse it while citing legislative motion is the main reason behind the sudden change of mind. By doing so, nobody would view as a weak president.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by vladimiros: 6:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
did anyone see how the house rejected a motion to investigate fraudulent purposes in the process.

damn criminals
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Beaf: 6:21pm On Jan 08, 2012
[size=21pt]I wonder why the reps did not cut their salaries?
Why did they also reject a motion to investigate, arrest and prosecute the cabal? Is it because they are members?
Shine your eyes.
[/size]
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by expert555: 6:21pm On Jan 08, 2012
They could have well might as well pass a resolution reduced the bumber salaries of 45 million a quater they voted for themselves by 70% in that case the subsidy will be re instated. Bastard wolves. Thank god I'm not in your mist miserable country. I have always said Pdp as a party do not have manifesto for the country that the party is for hire for any thief so the party is a party of theives and wolves masquerading as politicians.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by bodejohn(m): 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
I doubt if that was the resolution of the lower chamber, there were several amendments to the prayers before it was adopted in some unclear to me circumstances. It would have been better for the speaker to read the motion with all the amendments before it was passed.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Umunede(m): 6:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
Look at this yeye people. Because, it has come to reduction of salary, they immediately wake up from their slumber. These guys are not representing us. They are just protecting their pocket. Executive has reduced their salary. It is suppose to be their turn. Can this 9ja ever get better with this selfish people we have all around us as leaders?
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by nadkaf: 6:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
Beaf:

Why did they also reject a motion to investigate, arrest and prosecute the cabal? Is it because they are members?
Shine your eyes.
[/size]

right on point!!! They are seeking cheap popularity while their own status quo remains and their lifestyles are sustained! As far as I am concerned, they did not do anything significant! They only rallied round to save their own skins. I pity the few men of integrity that remain amongst them!!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by silibaba: 6:29pm On Jan 08, 2012
fingers crossed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by muyoto: 6:30pm On Jan 08, 2012
Remii:

tell them!. I guess, the senate must pass the same motion then both houses must harmonize and send same to presidency for accent before it becomes law.

You still don't get it. It CANNOT be become law because its not a bill.  didn't undergo any first or second hearing. furthermore what title would it have taken, "law banning withdrawal of subsidy"?

The aim, like someone rightly mentioned is just to send a political message, a strong one at that, to the executive. that's all.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 08, 2012
Kudos to the House. Good move
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by PRD(m): 6:34pm On Jan 08, 2012
Cowards, they all have skeletons in their cupboards.

They stylishly dodged investigation of subsidy benefactors, by so avoiding to fight corruption.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by sandiyke(f): 6:34pm On Jan 08, 2012
d point i dat thez guys know wat dey are doin,nd r thinkin we r fools. Nigerians d ball is in our court.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Pukkah: 6:36pm On Jan 08, 2012
While I have been of the opinion that the Executive should have handled the removal of the subsidy differently, it was criminal and selfish on the part of the Reps to have kept mute about their outrageous salaries and allowances.

It is actually the Executive that has allowed these insensitive lot to score political points out of a badly-handled, sensitive issue.

Mr Jonathan needs to recharge/reposition himself and fully and firmly be in control of the steering wheel of the country. Can he? Will he?
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Vigilante: 6:37pm On Jan 08, 2012
Beaf:

Shine your eyes.
[/size]
The prayer to cut their salaries was not in the motion paper. You really dont expect the thieves to cut their salaries do you? They are thieves and thieves only collect.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 6:40pm On Jan 08, 2012
PointB:

Whatever resolution passed by the lower house will still have to be seconded by the senate. And of course the president still have the right to exercise veto power.
WoW, despite all your rants in NL, you do not know the difference between a motion moved, debated and passed on the floor of the House, and a Bill debated and voted for clause by clause by members and where the vetoe power of the President comes in. FYI, the vetoe power of the President is not the final say, it on has a 30days life span!

Beaf:

Shine your eyes.
[/size]
Will you shut it in there! Who are you deceiving with 25% House cook salary cut , If your GEJ was serious that this is part of the palliative measures for Fuel Subsidy removal well thought out, He would also equally have told the nation how much it would save and when the cut is to begin!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by xtremeidea(m): 6:41pm On Jan 08, 2012
[size=18pt]Ok the reps has spoken. Oya uncle Jona we are waiting for your response. [/size]
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by yinchar(m): 6:41pm On Jan 08, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJp_TfC5NY&feature=youtu.be
People see for yourself, my fellow good will Nigerians
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by pato405(m): 6:42pm On Jan 08, 2012
25% reduction in salary is no joke !!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by sandiyke(f): 6:42pm On Jan 08, 2012
owning to these inconclusive conclusions,wats d fate of nigerians com tommorrow?
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by LEXYLOV: 6:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
If you all need the administration who can clean up the nation from executive thieves and looters and need justice for those perpetrators, then reversed your vote and ask for GEN Buhari to take over from your uncle Odechukwu. If anyone of them seen Buhari coming to power tonight, I bet it with you Buhari will not sworn in before all of them will suddenly disappear from the surface of Nigeria soil. If that not OK with the house, OK pray for anti corruption officer to coup and take over. SIMPLE. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Arrest Zaria ‘Boko-Haram’ Killer / I’m Under Pressure Over Buhari’s Cabinet - Joda / Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole Launches New Airline In Cape Verde?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.