Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,472 members, 7,801,193 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? (7799 Views)

How Can I Get A New Car Through Finance?? Lagos / Is Shipping My Car Through RORO Port Safe And Is AES Shipping Company Reliable? / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by kruku: 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2012
my fellow Nairalanders,
pls somebody confirm to me if i can bring in 1994 car through the nigerian walf. cool
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^ I would say no. At almost 18-years-old, I wouldn't want to take the chance.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 2:15am On Jan 09, 2012
YES!

Where is the car coming from? If coming from the states, i can help out.

Awaye.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 10:08am On Jan 09, 2012
kruku:

my fellow Nairalanders,
pls somebody confirm to me if i can bring in 1994 car through the nigerian walf. cool

officially it is not allowed to come into the country but i can help you clear it if shipped.

Call 08036363467 or email duduconsultt@yahoo.com
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 2:37pm On Jan 09, 2012
If via RoRo, might be almost impossible.
Containerized, it is possible . . . but the shipping cost will be same as shipping a newer model, while the clearing aint cheap either.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 2:54pm On Jan 09, 2012
I have PERSONALLY shipped about fifteen (15) "under-aged" vehicles via RORO in the past 3 months. I will like to think that i know what i am talking about.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Jan 09, 2012
Kunle-A:

I have PERSONALLY shipped about fifteen (15) "under-aged" vehicles via RORO in the past 3 months. I will like to think that i know what i am talking about.

Chief . . . You could do it based on your relationship with your shipper, most shipping agent wont take it from you, but cos you know your way around it does not means it is that easy . . . thus, my mentioning "Almost" impossible

Also, as mentioned by Siena up there, it is risky and even the risk is higher when on bare ship compared to it being containerized

But Guru like you might be able to do it . . .  I remain humble, Sir

1 Like

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by kruku: 9:33pm On Jan 09, 2012
Thanks Fellow Nairalanders, I am indeed pleased, we should keep the spirit. one 9ja!, one love, cheesy[flash=200,200][/flash]
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 6:00am On Jan 10, 2012
Fhemmmy:

If via RoRo, might be almost impossible.
Containerized, it is possible . . . but the shipping cost will be same as shipping a newer model, while the clearing aint cheap either.

It is possible on RORO or containerized and i do agree with you that it aint cheap at all.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 6:04am On Jan 10, 2012
Kunle-A:

Sir,I am sure your clearing agent would have paid up to N20k each to induce customs operatives at the ports to allow the over=aged cars to be cleared and same undue inducement(bribe) apply when clearing a right hand drive vehicle from our sea ports.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by baconline(m): 9:39am On Jan 10, 2012
Bros ,in Naija you can ship in a 1924 model car,make sure it is one out of four in a container.(useless country!!!!!!!!!! I hate corruption)
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 7:46am On Jan 11, 2012
baconline:

Bros ,in Naija you can ship in a 1924 model car,make sure it is one out of four in a container.(useless country!!!!!!!!!! I hate corruption)

grin
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 8:23am On Jan 11, 2012
baconline:

[b]In a country of 150million plus people, there are various types of people in different economic condition(s). I just spent the past 9 months living in Nigeria. I stayed since March 2011 till Dec 2011. I have been in the US since 1992 with occasional visits. Typically 2-6 weeks maximum.

I learn a lot of things in my 9 months about Nigeria (and Nigerians especially) that i have otherwise forgotten from spending a lot of time here.

The main thing that stuck in my mind is that the basic requirement of most people is  CLEAN AND RELIABLE CAR. Very few people care too much about mileage/carfax. However, that doesn't mean mileage fraud is OK or that i sanction it.

Most of the underage vehicle i bought are for a friend who sells cars. I just mostly help buy, ship and turn over the documents to him. The ones that belonged to me are just a handful. I didn't really know that its possible to ship underage cars until i was in Nigeria. Won ja mi si sharp sharp.  cheesy

The truth is that most buyers are grateful for the vehicle as long as it has GENUINE CUSTOMS PAPERS from Lagos. Most underage cars coming to Nigeria come via Cotonou and the customs are all over the country to give you problems. They may even seize your vehicle and you have to pay an additional N150k - N200k to retrieve it from the customs.

Money is hard to find in Nigeria. For the handful of people that buy latest models, there are multitudes that are just getting by and saving up for a good reliable car especially under N1m to convey the family around. Everyday people (public servants / govt workers /junior workers etc) taking loans from cooperative. The Nov/Dec heat and temperature is particularly unforgiven.

Its been a while i have experienced that type of heat  angry  even though i live here in sunny California for a while.

So i will rather bend the rule and give the people what they won't have to worry about in terms of quality/reliability and yet they won't have problems with the customs at all.

Corruption or not. At least i can help out the people with a clear conscience and i make some little pennies while doing it  grin[/b]

Awaye
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by tashan: 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2012
@kunle-A
You shouldn't justify circumventing the law. You should rather offer the poster assistance in purchasing a vehicle that can go through the ports at a good price.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by dagboss(m): 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2012
osted by: tashan
Insert Quote
@kunle-A
You shouldn't justify circumventing the law. You should rather offer the poster assistance in purchasing a vehicle that can go through the ports  at a good price.

I fear my brother o. You can imagine supposedly educated Nigerians in the name of making money,  telling the whole world that thay can go criminal if they want, it is sad.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by jason2010(m): 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2012
You can bring it in. I just cleared a 96 Golf (what we call a golf 3), and I paid a total of N220,000 to clear it. Go ahead and ship no qualms bro. Sadly, anything goes in 9ja
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle, I think you need to be careful what you post on the 'net. I have a lot of respect for you, but your statement here shocked me, not what I have come to expect from you. The internet has certainly made the world smaller, and it's all so easy to get your message across, but it's worth noting what you post online is very difficult to get rid of, sometimes impossible (especially if you're quoted by multiple posters).

We're all aware of corrupt practices in Nigeria, these things happen on a daily basis. What I do know is, if you choose to bend / break the rules, you don't flaunt it on a public discussion board, regardless of how you choose to dress the issue, it's wrong. If you insist on doing something illegal, then contact your trading partner PRIVATELY, and that way at least things are pretty covert.

Don't make a rod for your own back, I would edit your post on here, you don't want something that would come back to haunt you later, when you least expect it to.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by maxani: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2012
It is people like you guys that condemn corrupt government. What part of "it is illegal" don't you understand? You end up corrupting more people at the port. just wait till this revolution is over. nigerians will start with folks like you! can you try that in the US?
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by SuperPap: 2:21pm On Jan 11, 2012
Yes. Afterall, cabal can import imaginary petroleum products and get subsidy from govt!
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 2:33pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena have spoken . . . .
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2012
femmy2010:

It is possible on RORO or containerized and i do agree with you that it aint cheap at all.

As a matter of fact, it is not worth it . . . Take a Camry for example a 1994 Camry and a 1997 Camry is not that much in terms of purchasing price, so why not just add some money to the cost of buying the 1994 Camry and just buy a 1997 Camry and wont have to be at the mercy of the Customs.

A law breaker is always a slave to the executor of the law.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by maxani: 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2012
wait a sec! look at this poster's name; "kruku"?! isn't that a distorted form of the word "crook" in a local nigerian language? what the, ??!!!!
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 3:08pm On Jan 11, 2012
[b]One thing i am sure of my self is that i speak/say whatever is on my mind or that i know its the truth regardless. I am not going to edit anything cos they are the truth. Underage vehicles are coming into the country no matter what. So before you attach any type of name to me you have to know exactly what you are talking about.

THE TRUTH IS THAT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD CARS ABOVE N1M. Most cars that are within the 15years old / newer will go over N1million if it comes thru Lagos.

A brother for a good friend of mine approached me that he needed a car and wants it definitely below N1m. He is a teacher. This has been a friend of mine for about 25 years. I know that the only way he can get it is to buy underage. Especially that he is interested in a Toyota Camry in particular.

Should is not help? Should i leave him to his destiny while he run the risk of buying a Cotonou car with no correct documentation? Or should i help out?

He is taking the loan from a cooperative bank.

anyone can sit behind a keyboard and make all kinds of comments. You need to know the reality on ground.

The people that banned cars over 15years don't have a problem affording any type of car they want. The people that support the increase in petrol prices certainly won't flinch about fueling any time soon.

Underage cars come into the country all day long. People sometimes cut them into pieces and bring as "parts" and re-weld into whole cars once inside.

I AM MAKING NO APOLOGY FOR MY ACTIONS. My client will see the pics of what we are bring before we even buy it. The cars we also bring will be durable and more functional than anything on the road.

Below is the car i brought it. Its a 1993 Camry.[/b]

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by tit(f): 3:11pm On Jan 11, 2012
i have a 93 honda i have been using since 2000. i guess i can ship it into nigeria as my personal property at any time.
would i have problems with that?
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by kolnel: 3:11pm On Jan 11, 2012
Can someone pls give me the cost of clearing an 03 honda accord• 04. Honda accord. 97 camry and 99 sienna from tin can port. On the hapag Lloyd line.
Thanks a lot.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 3:16pm On Jan 11, 2012
Chief Kunle . . . I am sure this was done last year and if that was the case, you could have brought in a 1996 Camry for same fried and still be below 1M Naira.

By the way, no one is saying it is not done, all Sienna is saying is that . . . . Dont post such info cos it might come back to bite you in the rear when you least expect . . . just watching out for a brother, I am sure.

But i still remain humble, Sir
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by jason2010(m): 3:19pm On Jan 11, 2012
@kunle-A, thank you so much. I am even yet to see or hear of any underage car that has been confisicated by customs. The only difference is that it will cost 30,000 naira more. I have done it numerous times via roro or containerisation. The customs do not even enforce the laws because it is hypocritical on thier end, to confisicate a car because of age, and then reintroduce it into the country via auction sales. Poster, if folks here are calling you names and dont want to help you, holla back and I will give you three agents that can help you
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 3:22pm On Jan 11, 2012
[b]This picture was taken in the morning of delivery. Everything works. Cold A/C and all. You can buy it or wait until you save over N1m to have the car. Vehicle sold for N800k cos the exchange rate was getting high then but i have a very grateful friend and a more grateful brother.

I lost count on how many people wants to buy the car outright as soon as it came out of the port. We are having problems with the battery when we brought it out of the port and we have to park it to solve the issue. Lots and lots of people came and asking if its for sale.

Its a testament to what people are facing on the ground. They know its going to be under N1m and its Lagos cleared. Case closed.

Count yourself lucky if you can afford any car you want but the truth is most people can't. To save even N100k in  Nigeria these days is a Herculean task not to talk of N1million.

Vehicle is more functional that most things i see on the road. Would you rather drive this or wait until you have N1.5m?

The choice is yours.[/b]

Awaye

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 3:30pm On Jan 11, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Chief Kunle . . .  I am sure this was done last year and if that was the case, you could have brought in a 1996 Camry for same fried and still be below 1M Naira.

By the way, no one is saying it is not done, all Sienna is saying is that . . . .  Dont post such info cos it might come back to bite you in the rear when you least expect . . .  just watching out for a brother, I am sure.

But i still remain humble, Sir

I understand very much. But whats the point of saying one thing and doing another?  What i wouldn't do is bring in a vehicle that will be problematic for the owner. As long as i know its possible and won't be a problem for me or anyone, then i will consider it.

Underage cars are all over Nigeria. Displayed in full view. what i am saying here is no news to anyone that lives in Nigeria.

Couple of weeks after clearing this, we cleared a 2009 Murano for someone else. Fingers are not equal.

I AM FINE WITH ANY ISSUE THAT WILL ARISE IN POSTING THIS. TRUTH WILL ALWAYS BE THE TRUTH. NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT.

I did it and not have any qualms with it. 

1 Like

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

THE TRUTH IS THAT NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD CARS ABOVE N1M. Most cars that are within the 15years old / newer will go over N1million if it comes thru Lagos.

So by the same analogy, there are lots of things we can't all afford, within and outside Nigeria. Do we all break the law to bring these things within our reach? I certainly can't afford a 2012 Audi R8, so much as I'd like to own one, I'd rather settle for what I CAN afford. If we all chose the "easy" (illegal?) way to achieve what we want, Nigeria would implode.

We all criticise members of the Nigerian Police Force, Customs, LASTMA etc for taking bribes. They claim (and it's fact) they are poorly paid. They could use the same argument you've used here, that they're underpaid for the risky jobs they do (especially the NPF). Would that justify them taking illegal "top-ups"? They chose their jobs, and knew the risks versus the pay.

The ideal way to stay safe? Cut your coat according to your cloth.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 3:53pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^^^^^^^

Point well taken. But a 2012 R8 is not a NECESSITY.

Its different from someone that need a ride. A good one for that matter to get around with the family.

One thing you can always count on is that i will tell the truth. Regardless.

1 Like

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2012
tit:

i have a 93 honda i have been using since 2000. i guess i can ship it into nigeria as my personal property at any time.
would i have problems with that?

The law says 15year is the max age for cars allowed to come into the country,as at today it can be cleared with bribe paid by your clearing agent but what happens if a new head get posted to the port tomoro and insist on doing things the way it should be done?
Just my thought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russian President's Car Is The Real Bomb! (photos) / My Clutch Pedal Keep Going Flat Every Morning / What Event Motivates You To Learn How To Drive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.