Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,375 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? (3185 Views)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 7:39am On Jan 09, 2012
This has been an issue to me for a while now. Its a four cylinder volkwagen engine. Can u imagine dat 20 litres of petrol wasnt enough for a 200km journey? shocked also noticed dat the vehicle does high rpm eg at 120km it does over 4k rpm at gear 5!!! I've cleaned the air filter and changed the fuel filter. Sienna and other auto gurus in d house, come to my rescue,
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 1:21pm On Jan 09, 2012
shocked no response yet??
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
^^^ What engine size? And is it automatic or manual? Petrol or diesel?
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by depet: 2:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
Someone can help me out here too o. Mine is a 97 Mazda Protege, Auto with 1.5/1.6 litres engines. With 20 litres PMS, it struggles to cover 170 KM on the highway. My research about the car revealed that 20 litres of fuel shd be able to cover at least 220 KM on the highway. The millage is just a bit above 150K. Please help me out o
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by MrKelly: 3:15pm On Jan 09, 2012
I am not an auto mechanic but from my little experience in automobiles, it appears to me that you guys are expecting SO MUCH fron your cars. At 120km, you don't expect a litle 4 cylinder minivan to perform magic. It takes a lot of efforts and struggles for that small engine to propel the van at that high speed and that will cause the car to rev higher and consequently consume more fuel. You can't drive above 100km if you want to squeze out more milage from a 7 passenger minivan that comes with a 4 cylinder engine.
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 5:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
Siena:

^^^ What engine size? And is it automatic or manual? Petrol or diesel?
its a manual tyranny, petrol. Its also a 2.0 litre engine. What could be the challenge?
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by kuntash: 6:30pm On Jan 09, 2012
how many mpg was it doing before?

200km for 20ltrs is approx 23mpg

according to the users and makers of that vehicle, for manual and 4 cylinder, thats the range,
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 09, 2012
elite:

its a manual tyranny, petrol. Its also a 2.0 litre engine. What could be the challenge?

For starters, It's not really accurate to work out fuel consumption, on anything other than a full tank of fuel. You need to fill your tank, zero your trip meter and see how many mile you achieve before the fuel warning light comes on. You need to do this at least twice.

The 2,0 Volkswagen Sharan with 5-speed manual has a combined consumption value of 28 mpg, fuel tank capacity is 70 litres.

I'm a bit concerned about your engine rpm at 120 km/h (74 mph) in 5th. 4000 rpm is on the high side. Assuming a final drive ratio of 4,11:1 your Sharan will be doing approximately 34,5 km/h  (21,3 mph) per 1000 rpm in 5th. So at 3000 rpm actual speed should be 104 km/h (64 mph), with 4000 rpm giving an actual road speed of 138 km/h (85 mph).

Assuming you've read your rev counter correctly, your readings would suggest your clutch is slipping, allowing your engine to rev higher for any given road speed. Or your speedo is giving incorrect readings. Have you replaced your front tyres recently, for a different size from standard?
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 8:29pm On Jan 09, 2012
Thank you for your response siena. The tires in front are 205.65.15 while the ones behind are 205.70.15. Could this be the reason for the high rpm? My camry does about 2.5k rpm at 80mph. Dats why i'm a bit concerned about the sharan. Naija mechanics here are suggesting i change my plugs. What do u think siena?
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 09, 2012
elite:

Thank you for your response siena. The tires in front are 205.65.15 while the ones behind are 205.70.15. Could this be the reason for the high rpm? My camry does about 2.5k rpm at 80mph. Dats why i'm a bit concerned about the sharan. Naija mechanics here are suggesting i change my plugs. What do u think siena?

Tyre sizes should be 205/60x15 or 195/65x15 ALL ROUND. Why are you running staggered tyres? You're not helping your fuel consumption in any way.

Your Toyota Camry indcates 80 mph at 2500 rpm as it's an automatic. The manual version is lower geared, so an indicated 70 mph will be between 3000-3200 rpm.

Nigerian mechanics are suggesting you replace your spark plugs, that won't change gearing. God save innocent motorists from Nigerian butchers.
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 12:59am On Jan 10, 2012
Thank you Mr Siena. I'll immediately balance up the tires and observe the result afterwards.
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by depet: 10:34am On Jan 10, 2012
depet:

Someone can help me out here too o. Mine is a 97 Mazda Protege, Auto with 1.5/1.6 litres engines. With 20 litres PMS, it struggles to cover 170 KM on the highway. My research about the car revealed that 20 litres of fuel shd be able to cover at least 220 KM on the highway. The millage is just a bit above 150K. Please help me out o

Siena, I agree I am riding on another man's wings here, but doing a justice to my case too won't be a bad idea. i look forward to a response from you or others in the house.
Thank you
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 12, 2012
depet:

The best way to work out fuel consumption is to start with a full tank. You'll need to fill your tank at least twice, each time you'll need to zero your trip meter, and see how many kilometres you get from each full tank.

How big is your tank, as in how many litres does it hold?
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by esiri4jesu(m): 3:25pm On Jan 12, 2012
Fuel deregulation don make everybody dey shine eye.
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 3:36pm On Jan 12, 2012
esiri4jesu:

Fuel deregulation don make everybody dey shine eye.
lol!!! grin
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by depet: 5:23pm On Jan 12, 2012
Siena:

The best way to work out fuel consumption is to start with a full tank. You'll need to fill your tank at least twice, each time you'll need to zero your trip meter, and see how many kilometres you get from each full tank.

How big is your tank, as in how many litres does it hold?

@ Siena, thanks for your response. I have a 50 litre tank and I have done the calculation over and over, with half tank & other measurements as purchased from filling stations just at the point when the reserve level light came on. I have tried it with different amount (ltrs) of fuel, (15, 20, 25 and 30 ltrs) and found the results to be the same (either with the trip meter set to zero or calculated from total). I really took time out, like 3 months, to carry out this research.
Your further response will be appreciated.
Re: Why Does My Sharan Consume A Lot Of Fuel? by elite(m): 2:11pm On Feb 11, 2012
smileyChanged the tires and noticed a significant difference. Thanks a bunch Mr Sienna

(1) (Reply)

Jaguar XJ Vs Mercedes Benz S Class Vs BMW 7 Series / Acura TL Vs Toyota Camry / GCD Vs BCD; Can They Ever Be On The Same Book Page?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.