Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! (936 Views)

Adams Unaji Is Dead (Occupy Nigeria Activist) / Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation / Occupy Nigeria Protests: Locations And Dates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Beaf: 10:03pm On Jan 09, 2012
After a torrid week of frantic whipping up of high fevered sentiment, deliberate propagation of damaging falsehoods and crazy frenzy on social networks, the #Occupy day came with a tortured whimper. Anti-climax.
The protest failed woefully, because it lacked intellectual substance, aim, direction and purpose. In the end, it only served to highlight the fact that no low is too low for the unscrupulous politicians of the old guard. They sought to use Nigeria's sectional divides to drum up alarming volumes of hatred, a fact easily gleaned from the sectional spread of the demonstrations and riots; this fact in many ways, gave a lie to the reason for the protests. Shame.

It is cringeworthy that the protest movement was fuelled by mere sentiment. All successful movements rely on a thoroughly grounded ideology, backed by an enduring philosophy that the people can connect to is required. The protests missed the bullseye, because the real problems of Nigeria have nothing to do with the subsidy; rather, they are structural.

See if you can answer the following and if they are not better thing by orders of magnitude for us to demonstrate about in a sustained way:

[list]
[li]What can you point out that makes you Nigerian, aside that it is the piece of land your village can be found on?[/li]
[li]What are Nigeria's duties to you?[/li]
[li]What are your duties to the country?[/li]
[li]Why is Nigeria a chaotic mud bath with no laws?[/li]
[li]How come several mere cities (including the likes of Buenos Aires in Argentina) produce greater volumes of money than our entire country?[/li]
[li]How is it that we cannot pass laws that will catapult the country forward, like the PIB?[/li]
[li]Why is it that after a full 51 years of Independence, not a single state is self-sustaining?[/li]
[li]Why is there no Nigerian state that manufactures goods to the extent that they can feed their people?[/li]
[li]How is it that no Nigerian state provides jobs and wellbeing?[/li]
[li]What purpose do our LG's serve, if not as mere decorations?[/li]
[li]Why can people not see that the real problem is the fact that their states and LG's who are supposed to look to their welfare are useless and packed with thieves Who are only there to steal the money that is shared to them in Abuja?[/li]
[li]How come the average Nigerian thinks that oil is the countries only hope?[/li]
[/list]

I will end the questions with a poignant question:
What is wrong with us?

All the questions above can be answered simply. We need to get away from chaos, to building true federalism and strong institutions. I made this post elsewhere, but it is apt here:

Beaf: No country can succeed or even function without a national ideology, currently we flounder in every direction and at every task, and that is because we lack the unity of purpose a shared ideology can forge. We do not even have a simple motto or phrase around which Nigerians can feel empowered and energised.
Ideology gives root to productive defined structures and feeds them to produce society that is always optimally productive. It creates the harmony that can drive a diverse people to act as one and achieve mighty things. Therefore, it goes without saying that Nigeria must discard her current chaotic structure, which is at the root of all of our problems, from corruption to tribalism.
We must instead, strive for a structure that is ideologically driven, one that is egalitarian and inspires confidence in the young and old. The new structure, optimised for our multi-ethnicity, would guarantee a sense of belonging and duty in every citizen. The new structure would need to be a deeply thought out form of true federalism.

With true federalism, a massively populated country like Nigeria would always put the right foot first and develop at a pace that would be the envy of other nations. True federalism is the job we need to complete.

We must begin to relentlessly pursue goals whose future benefits we can readily quantify. We must strive for a national ideology to drive the philosophical basis of our goals in a truly federal state. The philosophical basis of our co-existence must be egalitarian; it must inspire confidence in the young and old. We must go back to the drawing board to hammer out a national framework that guarantees a sense of belonging and duty in every citizen, rich, poor, young and old.

Our people should never be found on the streets expending energy in demonstrations against effects and mere symptoms of deeper structural problems, such as fuel subsidies. Let us man up and get our country working instead.

-Beaf
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by teaf: 10:22pm On Jan 09, 2012
[b]Same old crapola, garb.age, tras.h, rubbi.sh, rant, noise, brain--less yowls from a brainle$$ as$licker of GEJ.
See Beef or fish or Roasted Meat, or Reno Omokri, or whatever the fucq your called, there is nothing wrong with been sincere,
Nobody is perfect. And its a shame you choose a master who is the most brainless, spinless, dumbest, most serially ineffective, useless, unassuming, clueless buff00n to ever rule any nation. GEJ policies are not absolute. He is not God, he is our president and the masses simply want him getting his priorities right.
The subsidy is a cancer, but you cant kill the patient because you wanna perform a chemotherapy. We are telling GEJ to start with making a sacrifice himself.
If he cuts 900 million out of his gluttonous food budget, we will build the best white collar financial intelligence in Africa which can stop all this corruption. But him and that his fat-cow wife will be eating 1billion naira worth of food, while they want the masses to fast and keep praying. How selfish and unassuming! We want your master to kill corruption, and kill backwardness and not Nigerians and Whatever noise you are making here, its not detering Nigerians, they will go out tomorrow, and even I heard your so called Niger Delta people are pissed at this idi0t, and if they born your father well, come to Lagos tomorrow with your alleged militant supporters and repeat this crap to the occupy nigeria group, and im promise you, you will be making a real sacrifice for your useless boss. hes sacrificed many Nigerians, im sure you wont mind been another slaughtered lamb. just leave your useless room and take this out, but you wont, you spineless, scared, useless kitten will keep hiding behind the computer. tomorrow, im out again, IJN.[/b]
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by warrior01: 10:30pm On Jan 09, 2012
@ thief or whatever you call urself, abeg shift let intelligent people discuss.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by DanKan0: 10:36pm On Jan 09, 2012
lol go out and preach that to Nigerians on the ground G. I dare u. See if you dont get lynched cool cool cool
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by blacksta(m): 10:57pm On Jan 09, 2012
Everything you listed cannot be achieved under Gej. A man who feeds on 1 billion naira a year.  where is the sincerity and dont give me that BS that the corrupt system preceeded gej. How many times do you buy furniture in year. 

Don't worry I believe along the way the protest will gather momentum and a specific ideology. Let the police carry on killing protesters
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by DanKan0: 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2012
blacksta:

Everything you listed cannot be achieved under Gej. A man who feeds on 1 billion naira a year. where is the sincerity and dont give me that BS that the corrupt system preceeded gej. How many times do you buy furniture in year.

In fact this is one of the main reasons we all know he will be a faliure (by design) nobody can come and answer that, Nigerians know this cool cool cool
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Beaf: 11:01pm On Jan 09, 2012
I see that the usual crew are scared to confront Nigeria's real problems. Lol!
Is it any surprise that the country is so phucked up when our educated people are too mentally lazy to think, even if it will save their lives?

Answer these question, or buzz off to vulture land:

[list]
[li]What can you point out that makes you Nigerian, aside that it is the piece of land your village can be found on?[/li]
[li]How come several mere cities (including the likes of Buenos Aires in Argentina) produce greater volumes of money than our entire country?[/li]
[li]How is it that we cannot pass laws that will catapult the country forward, like the PIB?[/li]
[li]Why is it that after a full 51 years of Independence, not a single state is self-sustaining?[/li]
[li]Why is there no Nigerian state that manufactures goods to the extent that they can feed their people?[/li]
[li]Why can people not see that the real problem is the fact that their states and LG's who are supposed to look to their welfare are useless and packed with thieves Who are only there to steal the money that is shared to them in Abuja?[/li]
[li]How come the average Nigerian thinks that oil is the countries only hope?[/li]
[/list]
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by blacksta(m): 11:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
Answer the question of leadership mismanagement . There you will find answers to questions.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by sheyguy: 11:06pm On Jan 09, 2012
@OP,
How do u cope with industries in developed nations when ur port can't process and clear imported raw material alone, b4 its foreign counterpart gets their finished product into Nigeria.
There are lots of factors mitigating against ur charge to local govts and states govts. There is also the factor of power, roads, and subsidy which there competitors accros borders are enjoying. How does the common man who has to hustle extra hard to afford basic things like good car for his transport, and house to live thìnk of going industrial in the first place?
The structure of our govt gives the necesary power to FG when its comes to thinks like Justice, power,importation and border control. I think u shld honestly quit this distraction game u r playing for the ruling PDP/GEJ, the Fg has to transfer the bulk of power to the regions or states b4 ur suggestion above will be worth following.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by sheyguy: 11:07pm On Jan 09, 2012
Dont also forget the fed govt has failed woefully in self sustainance u r suggesting to the states. The states/regions use to sustian the FG B4 oil came, the monopoly and corruption at the centre has actually crippled the whole system. Any transformation will be from our centralized FG, they av control of basic input to a sucessful industrial system like power, road, ports, and main policies.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by REPSNIG: 11:25pm On Jan 09, 2012
Beaf:

I see that the usual crew are scared to confront Nigeria's real problems. Lol!
Is it any surprise that the country is so phucked up when our educated people are too mentally lazy to think, even if it will save their lives?

Answer these question, or buzz off to vulture land:

[list]
[/list]

U stink. Please stop posting on this forum.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by NegroNtns(m): 5:05am On Jan 10, 2012
No country can succeed or even function without a national ideology, currently we flounder in every direction and at every task, and that is because we lack the unity of purpose a shared ideology can forge. We do not even have a simple motto or phrase around which Nigerians can feel empowered and energised.

Oh my God!! I cant believe you have some little light left shining in your brain. Thats good!

It is true that people need a unifying creed to march uniformly forward on but I disagree that we do not have it. Our creeds and unity exist at the tribal level. Outside that we see foreigners and strangers. That should be our guiding principle the seed from which we ought to recognize that at national level we are foreigners and nothing is common amongst us. I see the Igbo or the Hausa the way I see Libyan or Cameroonian, nothing in common with my Yoruba ancestry and creed, they are people. When I see Yoruba person I see myself in them, I sacrifice for them, I yield for them. . . all in ways that I would never contemplate yielding for a Libyan, Cameroonian, Igbo or Hausa. . . . because they are foreign people.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Rhino5dm: 5:11am On Jan 10, 2012
Bunkum! Balderdash!!

PDP paid hatchet mongrel doing his job. Next thread, please!!
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Nchara: 5:27am On Jan 10, 2012
It was ''occupy my village''. Village rats demonstrated today. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Beaf: 5:31am On Jan 10, 2012
sheyguy:

@OP,
How do u cope with industries in developed nations when your port can't process and clear imported raw material alone, b4 its foreign counterpart gets their finished product into Nigeria.
There are lots of factors mitigating against your charge to local govts and states govts. There is also the factor of power, roads, and subsidy which there competitors accros borders are enjoying. How does the common man who has to hustle extra hard to afford basic things like good car for his transport, and house to live thìnk of going industrial in the first place?
The structure of our govt gives the necesary power to FG when its comes to thinks like Justice, power,importation and border control. I think u shld honestly quit this distraction game u r playing for the ruling PDP/GEJ, the Fg has to transfer the bulk of power to the regions or states b4 your suggestion above will be worth following.

A similar proposal was made to the state govs, but they rejected it. The proposal was to make LG's the most important drivers of development (as it is across the developed World) with weakened FG and states.
My surprise is that people do not pick up such things that are fundamental to true federalism and future developmental prospects. Why would people not demonstrate about such things?
This thread is about finding out what is wrong with the average Nigerian. Some might say they are ignorant of the FG moves to decouple LG and states, but such shocking ignorance is only a part of the question about what is wrong with the average Nigerian.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Beaf: 5:44am On Jan 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Oh my God!! I cant believe you have some little light left shining in your brain. Thats good!

It is true that people need a unifying creed to march uniformly forward on but I disagree that we do not have it. Our creeds and unity exist at the tribal level. Outside that we see foreigners and strangers. That should be our guiding principle the seed from which we ought to recognize that at national level we are foreigners and nothing is common amongst us. I see the Igbo or the Hausa the way I see Libyan or Cameroonian, nothing in common with my Yoruba ancestry and creed, they are people. When I see Yoruba person I see myself in them, I sacrifice for them, I yield for them. . . all in ways that I would never contemplate yielding for a Libyan, Cameroonian, Igbo or Hausa. . . . because they are foreign people.

Ok, so for you, it was evidently "occupy Lagos."
Hopefully, the nakeed truth will out itself a lot more on this thread. The question of what is wrong with the average Nigerian finds an answer above, so I will begin compiling a list:

[list]
[li]Ethnic bigotry or racism[/li]
[li]Lack of a sense of belonging[/li]
[li]Fear of other ethnic groups[/li]
[/list]

Quite clearly, any of the above can severely distort ones perceptions and reactions. Could this be the reason why there were violent riots in places like Lagos and Kano, while there were practically none in places like Jos, Onitsha, Makurdi, Warri and Enugu?
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Abagworo(m): 5:51am On Jan 10, 2012
@beaf. I think this is a futile attempt to regain your lost manhood. The lesson is that you should always stand by the truth even in the face of death. From the very 1st day Jonathan became President in 2009, I was suggesting right here on this forum that if drastic measures like true federalism, land use act and resource control are not addressed, there will be an up rise that might bring our country to its knees.

You personally defended him saying that he has not really assumed as the President(Then he was acting). When he got fully sworn in he still refused to address the Niger Delta infrastructure and the demands of his people, yet you were still saying we should be patient.

In Igbo they say "Eghu n'agba agba n'esi na otutu" which means "a fat goat could easily be dsitinguished even during infancy". I saw his weaknesses just like Yar'adua's from day one. That was why I voted Buhari even amidst all threats by family members and neighbors.

It is still not late to focus on developing the Niger Delta or give true federalism, so that Boko Haram can control the States in which they are popular and will be free to practise their religion while Niger Deltans will be free to control their oil and also practise their religion.

Allow individuals to build small scale refineries and sell oil to them at international price.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by Beaf: 5:54am On Jan 10, 2012
^
Phuck off. This is not a thread for fools.
Re: So Was It Occupy Nigeria Or Occupy Lagos And Kano? Questions! Questions! by sheyguy: 11:31am On Jan 10, 2012
Beaf:

A similar proposal was made to the state govs, but they rejected it. The proposal was to make LG's the most important drivers of development (as it is across the developed World) with weakened FG and states.
My surprise is that people do not pick up such things that are fundamental to true federalism and future developmental prospects. Why would people not demonstrate about such things?
This thread is about finding out what is wrong with the average Nigerian. Some might say they are ignorant of the FG moves to decouple LG and states, but such shocking ignorance is only a part of the question about what is wrong with the average Nigerian.
There is a problem with the average Nigerian attitude, but don't u think they are handicapped with establish industries packing up, we have to many hands willing to work who av failed. I dont agree ur last point there. We still need the factors of productions to be competitive and the FG has virtually all the control in that respect.
We need power, road, seemless inflow of materials and outflow of prodvct. Under normal circumstance, the Govt shld be earning from its pple's activity, but today they r not interested in true governing because they get paid lavish even if dönt work things right.

(1) (Reply)

Shagari, Obasanjo, Others Press Jonathan To Save Nigeria / Spokesman Of Boko Haram Arrested? / Pro-biafra Countries Send Representatives To Ojukwu's Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.