Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

A Personal Message To President Jonathan On Fuel Subsidy- Please Pass It On Till - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Personal Message To President Jonathan On Fuel Subsidy- Please Pass It On Till (1221 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Goodluck Jonathan On A Shopping Spree Abroad...photo / May 29 Handover: No Facts From Jonathan On Fuel Crisis – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Personal Message To President Jonathan On Fuel Subsidy- Please Pass It On Till by laidback(m): 10:42pm On Jan 10, 2012
A personal message to President Jonathan on fuel subsidy- Please pass it on till it gets to him
by Dolapo Abimbola on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 7:20pm
Dear Mr President,

I had a dream yesterday that I ran into you at a function and somehow we got talking on the removal of fuel subsidy and you listened to me. I have decided to tell you again in real life.

Like every Nigerian, I’m saddened and frightened by the present crisis in Nigeria because we can only determine the beginning of protests such as these, we cannot predict the end.

Here’s my message:

If it is true that we can no longer fund fuel subsidy, then you should have done your home work properly before implementing it. You are governing humans, not animals, so Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Deizani and other advisers should have done a proper SWOT analysis of this policy and weighed the pros and cons. If this had been done thoroughly, the implementation of this policy would have been more strategic and effective. It is unwise to have thought that Nigerians wont have gone into a frenzy the way you went about it knowing fully well that there are no results from the already deregulated Diesel and kerosene. Then again, you decided to choose New year's Day - That was insensitive especially because we are still running the 2011 budget, why the hurry?

This is what I told you in my dream:

Nigerians are undoubtedly aggrieved and very angry, i advise that the first step is for Mr President to come out again ( let Abati write a good speech) address Nigerians tonight and announce the reversal of pump price to 65 naira to calm the situation and ease the minds of the people.(This is what a servant leader should do, the poilty is boiling). Mr President should tell Nigerians that being a leader who is sensitive to the voice of his people, he would always yield to their call, he will do their wish. You should then go ahead to reiterate that the removal of fuel subsidy is the way forward for Nigeria and apologize for not communicating well enough before taking the decision. You should then tell us that from now till the end of march( when the 2011 budget will expire), the public will be thoroughly educated on the reason for removal of fuel subsidy with full facts and accurate figures. Sir, from my little knowledge, and i' m not an economist, there’s no Blueprint, no Implementation Plan on how the savings from the removal of subsidy will be spent. There are no specifics, just figures. Let your advisers come out with solid, well broken down presentations and charts. This should be properly drafted, published and every Nigerian should have access to that document.

Sir, I'd like to know who advised you on 1,600 buses as a palliative measure? with all due respect sir, it has no effect and makes no sense whatsover. If you want the removal of fuel subsidy to fly, it is your responsiblity to plan it well so it does not blow up in your face and in all our faces. This current strategy if truly sincere, is a lazy and selfish one.( This is a very sensitive matter, it should be handled carefully to succeed, not in this "wuruwuru" manner) Nigerians will never buy it this way. Even if the intention is noble, it appears draconian simply because of its poor implemention.

After you have taken the pain to enagage the public through consultations - more town hall meetings, debates, room for contributions, adverts, street storms, etc. I advise that the implementation of the policy is done in phases to cushion the adverse effect on the masses.

This is how:
Fuel price should move from 65 Naira to 90 Naira in the first 6 months, From 90 to 120 in the next 6 months, from 120 to 140 in the next, the proceeds from each phase should be estimated and tied to specific projects, not white elephant projects. This will give room for accountability and discipline on the part of Government. Regarding, the allocation for State Governors, each Governor should come out annd declare openly what project he will use his first disbursement to fund. Yes! and the citizens will be monitoring. (Everyone will see what you have pledged to do). Same for Local Governments, most of the chairmen do nothing, and just travel abroad on luxury trips. They must be held accountable. You cannot come out and say that a certain amount will go to the Federal Govt, another will go to the State Government and another to the Local Govt without specific projects attached and timelines. This is fraud sir. Nigerians will only suffer for nothing. Even if the Federal Government vows not to mismanage or worse embezzel the funds, how can you guarantee that State governors will use the funds effectively if they cannot be held accountable. I do not think there is any need for a special committee, it seems like a front. Sir, if your Government is ready to work, projects will be outlined, commenced, monitored and completed within reasonable timelines. If it is power you want to concentrate on, let us know, bring heads to together. if it is the only thing you can achieve during your tenure, you'll be idolized in Nigeria forever. People say its not easy, there's a cabal. Sir, i'll speak to you like you are my Daddy. "Face this cabal, you have only one life to live. My people in Warri will say (" Man die once"wink. Are you not the President? expose them, deal with them and remove your name from the Evil book of Nigeria. If you are determined, you can do it. Using Dubai as a case study, and their King as example, when he realized oil could not sustain his country, he decided to make his country one of the most beautiful on earth, he could easily have told his people, look, we are running out of oil, start paying double now. Rather, he put on his thinking cap and thought of a way out without his people suffering. He was determined and he succeeded. I was told by a construction Engineer there that they commenced world record building projects and completed one whole floor in one day without half measures, they were determined and dedicated, almost all the trailers in the world were in Dubia at the time, day and night they worked and the Sheik personally inspected projects. Gradually, they turned Dubai into a place to be on earth. I think you should take a cue from there sir.

My final advise to you sir is that since you have decided to become a President with the courage to take a bold step towards Change by removing fuel subsidy, the only option for you is to come out of it with a good name, you have to be strategic and also lead by example so that Nigerians will see that we are all in this together, let us all feel the pinch. Hence, you have to be ready to make sacrifices, Put an end to profilgacy, waste. Emulate Mandela who once asked that his salary be stopped during a crisis in his days as President. Sir,a true servant does not need 23 cars, it’s a waste of our resources, 1 billion per annum for food, what are you eating? Food should be the last thing on your agenda on that hot seat, cutlery- 300m or so, for what? You dont need that. Why does David Mark earn 600m per annum? for what? David Mark has been in Government since I was a child, he has made more than enough for 10 lifetimes, it's time for him to make sacrifices, let him earn 300,000 a month, and 1 million naira worth of allowances . Its ok for him and all of you, so that we can fix Nigeria. If Mark is a true patriot, this shouldnt be a big deal. Leadership is not about enriching yourself, that's my understanding of it. A good name is worth more than any luxury. All the savings from this prudence i can assure you, will provide some infrastructure for your people. When you reduce recurrent expenditure, then i'll be convinced you are ready to serve.

I can't imagine the kind of pressure you're under at this time and i feel sorry. I feel sorry because I knew from the time you decided to run for presidency that it wasnt quite the best decision. I've always believed that it’s best to leave when the ovation is loudest. Conducting a free and fair election and bowing out would have left your name in the sands of time. Look at the mess now, Nigerians hate you, and this will be a part of history. You need to start leading by example to redeem your name

It is easy for Deiziani to sit there with diamonds sitting on her neck, asking people to do this and that- (She comes across insensitive and rather standoffish) but it is a different ball game for the ordinary man who cannot feed his family, that’s the first survival instinct. Your staff seem to be brilliant,- Ngozi, Deiziani, Sanusi, Aganga. I suggest that they should task their brains and think of some other alternatives to economic recovery that will not further impoverish the masses-( Dubai as case study), They cannot sit in the comfort of their cosy offices where all is free and ask the masses to do things that are unbearable. People are suffering. Sir, have you ever imagined what it would be like if you were unable to put food on the table for Dame Patience and the kids? Thats the story of the average Nigerian man.

Mr President, this is what i told you in my dream and you listened to me, In real life, please take my advise, brainstorm on it and fine tune it for the greater good of Nigeria before things get out of hand.

Thank you

Adedolapo Abimbola

(1) (Reply)

Gowon And The Curse He Took Home: Nigerians And Their Harvest. / Cash-lite Lagos: Banks Woo Churches With E-payment -expect This Soon!!! / Are You An Ethnic Or Religious Prejudiced?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.