Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied (11529 Views)

Buhari Meets With Bill Clinton & Gates In New York / Buhari Orders Probe On How ISIS Leader Got Nigerian Visa / Nigerian Visa Goes For A Dollar In 13 Countries - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 08, 2007
Bill Gate Almost Denied Visa Into Nigeria!

Bill Gate the worlds second richest man was almost denied visa entry into our very own Naija. wink Wow I love news like this, makes me proud.
He was denied by the officials because they weren't sure if he would leave the country when he is done hence causing a drain on public infrastructure!!

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/stupid/nigeria-asks-if-bill-gates-is-a-mooch-307889.php
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by uchetobi(f): 11:27am On Oct 08, 2007
Really??
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by babasin(m): 11:32am On Oct 08, 2007
well it is correct.

He should show evidence that he will not over stay his visa!.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by McKren(m): 1:27pm On Oct 08, 2007
If he has not filed his application properly showing necessary supporting evidence why should he be granted VISA.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by texazzpete(m): 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2007
You poor, simple-minded people.
While you gleefully think this makes Nigeria seem tough and uncompromising, in reality it only posts an extremely Negative image of Nigeria in the eyes of the world, painting our Immigration people as silly and incompetent.
Perhaps the fact that the story is filed in Gizmodo under 'Stupid' is lost on you. perhaps the tone of the comments following that story (ranging from incredulous to derisive) is lot on you all too.

I'm not saying that the Immigration people did not follow the right protocol. What i'm saying is, if you think this conveys a 'victory' for Nigeria, then you're deluded.

2 Likes

Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2007
Meanwhile we have Togoleese, chadians, people from the Rep of Benin and many others flooding the streets of Nigeria on a daily basis with Nigerian passports may I add.  Makes a whole lotta sense to my senile mind.  What a country of Upside-Down thought processes just to get in the news  for the wrong reasons. 

Can we please give the Immigration officers of Nigeria the well deserved award for a job well done! wink
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by McKren(m): 3:52pm On Oct 08, 2007
Bill Gates can not just come into Nigeria because he is Bill Gates, he has to apply for his Visa rightly. As much as our immigration services are not up to speed it should not mean Gates can make a phone call saying he is coming to Nigeria and then allowed into Nigeria by default it does not work like that.

Mohamed Al-Fayed the Chairman of Fulham for so long applied for British Passport but did not get one even when poor assylum seekers from Somalia and Sudan are busy getting passports easily.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2007
McKren:

Bill Gates can not just come into Nigeria because he is Bill Gates, he has to apply for his Visa rightly. As much as our immigration services are not up to speed it should not mean Gates can make a phone call saying he is coming to Nigeria and then allowed into Nigeria by default it does not work like that.

Mohamed Al-Fayed the Chairman of Fulham for so long applied for British Passport but did not get one even when poor assylum seekers from Somalia and Sudan are busy getting passports easily.

No one said that.  Why wait for Bill Gates to make out sensationalism when the Nigerian borders are porous as a sieve?  This is just melodramatic nonsense to let the outside world know that Nigeria too can refuse "people" visas.  Please, let us stop the sham of selective law enforciement. Let the laws apply to all.  If the Immigration services are really working we would know who are Nigerians and who are not.  Right now, so we? undecided
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by McKren(m): 4:02pm On Oct 08, 2007
He probably did not fill out his applications properly in the first instance. He has to fill them rightly and there is nothing wrong if he is corrected to do so.

The Nigerian Embassy in US will be doing itself a lot of displeasure if they dont learn anything from the domiciled country. You want the ambassador to go abroad advertising the fraud existent in the home country?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by babasin(m): 4:04pm On Oct 08, 2007
If the Immigration services are really working we would know who are Nigerians and who are not.  Right now, so we?

wrong this is not about people already in Nigeria but people wanting to coming to Nigeria. two different things.

Please, let us stop the sham of selective law enforciement

who else have been allowed without showing their evidence they would not overstay?

Meanwhile we have Togoleese, chadians, people from the Rep of Benin and many others flooding the streets of Nigeria on a daily basis  with Nigerian passports may I add

you are not in tune with Nigeria or ECOWAS.

There is freedom of movement within ecowas people; they dont need visa to come to Nigeria nor do you need visa to go ecowas countries.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 4:23pm On Oct 08, 2007
babasin:

wrong this is not about people already in Nigeria but people wanting to coming to Nigeria. two different things.

who else have been allowed without showing their evidence they would not overstay?

you are not in tune with Nigeria or ECOWAS.
There is freedom of movement within ecowas people; they don't need visa to come to Nigeria nor do you need visa to go ecowas countries.

No I am not.  Pardon my gross ignorance.  I am actually embarrased. embarassed  I guess the same way many Nigerians keep re-entering foreign countries repeatedly after being deported several times. undecided How did Alameyesiegha arrive Yenogoa undetected after fleeing from london as a woman?

On a more serious note, if Bill Gates papers were not in order, it could have been on a technicality.  No big deal.  He is not a criminal or a wanted person around the world.  Why the sensationalism? undecided

How many people with "Nigerian" passports are really Nigerians? I bet we can never find that out. Just wondering as usual. undecided
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by babasin(m): 4:53pm On Oct 08, 2007
How did Alameyesiegha arrive Yenogoa undetected after fleeing from london as a woman?

you missed it again. Alam is a Nigeria!

How many people with "Nigerian" passports are really Nigerians?

who does that mean? Nigeria operate dual-citizenship. So many people could have Nigeria passport and still have Origin of another country.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by almondjoy(f): 5:04pm On Oct 08, 2007
babasin:

you missed it again. Alam is a Nigeria!

who does that mean? Nigeria operate dual-citizenship. So many people could have Nigeria passport and still have Origin of another country.

I understand what you are saying.  I am talking about people who procur Nigerian passports illegally and have never been documented as ever being naturalized citizens in Nigeria.

Even if Alamie Wonder is a Nigerian--the point is that he is a fugitive in another country and used illegal means to re-enter Nigeria.  Did you hear that he used his diplomatic or personal passport to come back into Nigeria?  If people like Alams can do it, who else then? 

Once again, I am talking about how other people of Africa use the Nigerian passports illegally to cause problems in Nigeria and all over the world. If the immigration services where doing just that, Bill Gates and his problems getting this almighty Nigerian visa should not even make news!
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Tornadoz(m): 5:39pm On Oct 08, 2007
He should not be allowed into Nigeria, the man might refuse to go. Yeah
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 6:15pm On Oct 08, 2007
If Bill Gate doesn't have appropriate document to enter Nigeria, he should certainly be denied Visa.

I don't care if your name is Mr.Gate or Mr.Benson, Nigeria is a nation that has rules and regulations that must be followed.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by champredd(m): 7:21pm On Oct 08, 2007
Is it true? If yes, I think it's really good. It means our officials are now becoming serious and professional.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jakumo(m): 8:13pm On Oct 08, 2007
Maybe Nigerian immigration officials hate Bill Gates so much because they find it impossible to believe that any human being can amass the type of wealth Bill Gates owns without stealing it as is done by most of Nigeria's wealthiest people.

The suggestion that Bill Gates may try to stay in Nigeria as an illegal immigrant is patently absurd and hysterically funny, but then Nigerian officialdom has earned world-wide notoriety for absurdity and unintended humor, so this departure from sanity is only to be expected from such an aggregation of conceited semi-literate buffoons who cannot resist another chance to celebrate their idiocy on the world stage.

The Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation has donated more money that any other governmental or private organisation in world history, in support of such vital life-saving initiatives as malaria prevention and cure research projects in the Third World, women's reproductive health and education in Africa and the introduction of computer technology and the internet to schools and hospitals worldwide, yet Nigerian immigration considers this precedent setting philanthropist an undesirable visitor to their squalid basket-case of a country that has benefited so much from the generosity of the Microsoft co-founder.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Iman3(m): 8:16pm On Oct 08, 2007
The Nigerian government initially denied the Microsoft kingpin's application on the premise that they required proof he would not reside in Nigeria indefinitely, causing a strain on social services and a general nuisance for immigration.

Do we have social services?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Seun(m): 8:18pm On Oct 08, 2007
This is a man that can single-handedly pay off our national debt. Strain on social services eh? cheesy
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 8:31pm On Oct 08, 2007
This is a man that can single-handedly pay off our national debt.
It doesn't matter if the man can afford to give every Nigerian $1m each; law is law and must be followed under any circumstances.
Money is not everything, the pride of our nation is priceless.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jakumo(m): 8:34pm On Oct 08, 2007
Perhaps Nigerian officials suspect that the Worlds Richest Man, if allowed into their glorious land,  may try to assume the identity of a retired Nigerian railway worker or civil servant so as to line up in the sun in the hopes of collecting that 50 cents per month retirement benefit that will never materialize till most of those camped daily outside decrepit Nigerian government pension offices have died from heat exhaustion and hunger.

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Seun(m): 8:35pm On Oct 08, 2007
It doesn't matter if the man can afford to give every Nigerian $1m each; law is law and must be followed under any circumstances.

And what does this so-called law say? That we should hassle people for no reason?
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 08, 2007
did he have enough ties in the USA?

we can't just let anyone in like that cheesy
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Jakumo(m): 8:45pm On Oct 08, 2007
Come on Big Bee, spit it out. YOU HATE WHITE PEOPLE, and any perversion of the local Nigerian laws that will make life miserable for them would please you immensely, whether that would be railroading a German video crew into dungeons under trumped-up espionage charges in the Niger Delta, or shooing away Nigeria's greatest charitable benefactor to prevent him from seeing first-hand whether his donations to vital causes in Nigeria are being utilized as specified or stolen as usual.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Pip(m): 8:50pm On Oct 08, 2007
Nigerian immigration is just DAFT. They can allow smuggled goods and alliens and rogue governors in but a very respected business man no show. Someone just wanted to be in the news that's all
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by grafikdon: 8:54pm On Oct 08, 2007
I think one of the immigration officers had a painful experience with Windows Vista. . . grin
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2007
Come on Big Bee, spit it out.  YOU HATE WHITE PEOPLE, and any perversion of the local Nigerian laws that will make life miserable for them would please you immensely
My man, you got it wrong again as usual.

I don't hate white people, it will be stupid and unreasonable for me to hate white people.
I just hate people (blacks) that forget who they are; I also call these people "Durable Door Mat".
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2007
I think one of the immigration officers had a painful experience with Windows Vista. . .

lol
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 8:56pm On Oct 08, 2007
Its not about any victory , its not about being able to pay our national debt or anything like that , the rule is that the form should be filled correctly , so if my bill gates had not filled them correctly , then he should not be issued visa , he must filled the form correctly according to the rule, chikena angry angry
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by Seun(m): 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2007
Big B1, you are yet to tell us about the so-called "law" that is the backing of your argument.
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by egoldman(m): 9:00pm On Oct 08, 2007
Pip:

Nigerian immigration is just DAFT. They can allow smuggled goods and alliens and rogue governors in but a very respected business man no show. Someone just wanted to be in the news that's all

yeah and why did the eu fine his company microsoft heavily for their unfair business practices ? i have nothing against the man , but i refused to accept he is a super human being .
Re: Bill Gates' Application For Nigerian Visa Was Initially Denied by BigB11(m): 9:01pm On Oct 08, 2007
Its not about any victory , its not about being able to pay our national debt or anything like that , the rule is that the form should be filled correctly , so if my bill gates had not filled them correctly , then he should not be issued visa , he must filled the form correctly according to the rule, chikena

Excellent!

This is one of our problems, some Nigerians will easily put themselves down just because of couple of dollars; absolutely unacceptable.

The pride of my nation is priceless and Mr. Gate can not afford to purchase it under any circumstances.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Oil Revenue Loss Hits N10.1bn Daily / The 2018 Budget Proposal Is Worse Than Nonsense- Jide Akintunde / Buhari's Supporters Storm APC Headquarters, Demand Adoption Of Direct Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.