Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: (15300 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / The Psychological Effect Of The Fuel Scarcity On Nigerians / If You're Sick And Tired Of E-wars Between Yorubas And Igbos On NL - Vote Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Seun(m): 11:01pm On Jan 12, 2012
76% of Nigerians online want the fuel subsidy back so they can buy petrol at N65/liter.
24% of Nigerians online want the fuel subsidy removed so the govt can spend the money as promised.

What's your stand?  Visit http://subsidy.nairaland.com/ to vote (requires Javascript)

Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Beaf: 11:04pm On Jan 12, 2012
The 76% are just selfish people in my opinion. They really could not care about a future great Nigeria.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Lasinoh: 11:10pm On Jan 12, 2012
I vote against.
Nigerians stop borrowing. OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE A LOT TO SHOW FOR THEIR DEBTS. . . WHAT DO YOU HAVE? cry
You have nothing to show for your borrow-borrow. . . GHANA IS SURVIVING. . .YOU LAZY DRONES CAN TOO!

NO ALLOWANCES FOR GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS. Let them use their own personal vehicles/homes for a change. Or put them in living furnished quarters. Basic allowance should be no less than 1million Naira a month for ALL politicians. . . INCLUDING JONATHAN GOODLUCK HIMSELF. kiss
You had oil subsidy. . .you did not use it wisely. You allowed your lootocrats to steal all the so-called subsidy.

Jonathan Goodluck is not responsible. THE IMF HAS REFUSED TO GRANT NIGERIA ANY MORE LOANS!!!

Learn to live within your means.
Next time concentrate on triming the allowances of your execu-thieves!
Next time, stay away from gay-marriages and stop being the #1 violators of human rights.

HA! No more loans for your lazy behinds!
The masses would be forced to turn against the lootocrats.
May all their houses be burned down!
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by ipio(f): 11:11pm On Jan 12, 2012
not nice
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by boles80sg(m): 11:13pm On Jan 12, 2012
I dnt wnt subsidy back but can I trust Nigeria gvt wit my taxpayer money. The main problem abt this subsidy of a thing is that nigerian has lost trust in their leaders.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by FEMARY1: 11:13pm On Jan 12, 2012
Beaf:

The 76% are just selfish people in my opinion. They really could not care about a future great Nigeria.
What greatness has been achieved since they have been removing it over decades now?

Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by DonDiara(m): 11:15pm On Jan 12, 2012
@beaf, You are the selfish person here, you want us to give them another chance to loot our money after how many failed promises ? We need revolution in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by CarlosVent(m): 11:15pm On Jan 12, 2012
Beaf:

Seconded.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Gmilad: 11:19pm On Jan 12, 2012
@beaf u r d only selfish person here. U tlk as if u r been paid by gej 2 canvass 4 supports
CarlosVent:

Seconded.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by OAM4J: 11:22pm On Jan 12, 2012
@Seun

I couldn't vote because I don't want subsidy back to N65, I also don't want it removed at once. My stand is a phased removal tied to government performance over a period of 1 - 2yrs.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Gbawe: 11:23pm On Jan 12, 2012
Beaf:

When will you stop talking like this? These are the type of threads you should not comment on out of respect for the fact that a majority, by far, are against your stance which, by the way, is the only selfish one anyone not blind with sentiments can fathom !!! What do you understand democracy and the will of the majority to be? This is your fakeness being exposed , once again, to the entire forum.

You always vacuously tout an aspiration to lofty ideals but, when push comes to shove, you are always found wanting and exposed as nothing but an empty barrel happy to support all manner of despotism and dictatorial behaviour on behalf of the unpopular policies of your callous and unlistening paymasters. On what planet does a sane person tell 76% of adults they are selfish on the strenght of the position 24% have taken?

@post.

Of course those in support of subsidy are by far in the majority. Are Nigerians not already "in hell"? Why remove the subsidy applicable to them while the subsidy allowing GEJ and Sambo to wack £10,000.00 worth of food per day remains? What fuel subsidy removal are we talking of when senators take home 4 times the $400,000.00 salary of the world's most powerful man i.e Barack Obama? Remove fuel subsidy for the masses when the corruption that saw $20 billion totally drained , from the ECA, is now rampant and out of control? Subsidy removal when ,under GEJ, corruption is increasing i.e the type that saw a US-bankrupted Andy Uba declare asset worth over N1 trillion (the "savings" they claim they will make from subsidy) after a few years working under OBJ? What is OBJ himself then worth? Abeg, Nigerians should open their eyes to see the real opportunist who, from their records, have never stood for anything in their wretched lives and now want us all to pay the price for how their looting has bankrupted Nigeria.

Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by thunderboy(m): 11:23pm On Jan 12, 2012
The House of reps , the Senate and over 80% of the people have made their wishes known , Will voting here change anything ??  Definitely not !!! Subsidy or no subsidy the people want constant power supply , good roads , affordable health services , quality and affordable education , adequate infrastructures , commonsense dot come  angry
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by muhsin(m): 11:24pm On Jan 12, 2012
Definitely against! BTW, what is that Beaf of a character is saying?
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by madprof(m): 11:27pm On Jan 12, 2012
Ultimately, we are probably better off without subsidy. The method of implementation however is very important. I suggest it is removed in stages over a period of time. Meanwhile the govt should first of all show good faith by providing amenities such as stable power supply and a robust, modern rail transport system. Then Nigerians would have little need for the petrol anyway.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Wislet(f): 11:29pm On Jan 12, 2012
saw this alert.
Pls everyone shd be at alert.
And the FG shd step up and end this.
This is becoming unreasonable.

The msg reads:

Please, instruct your Ministers & all Christians you
know in the North to leave or find safe-havens.
Northern Islamic fundamentalist are planning
JIHAD; Total Massacre of our Brethren in the North,
from Mid-night of tomorrow Friday 13th Jan 2012
while quoting the Qur'an of Surah chpt. 2 : 216, 190, 191 & 195. A lot of NYSC corpers have already been told
by their state coordinators to relocate to nearest
military or police barracks. If this should happen then
Nigeria is on a brink of a Religious Ethnic war.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Moreti(m): 11:31pm On Jan 12, 2012
really, I am still tryin to comes to terms with the "masses" agitation here. Really!, u guys want the oil marketers to continue gettin money frm our collective treasury becuase we always want to get fuel at 65 naira? What about getting fuel less than 65 naira? do u guys think the price of fuel will eva get below 65 naira if this flawed fuel subsidy policy continues?

My take here is, the subsidy shld get to the masses direcly, as Seun has suggested in one of the threads via PMS vouchers, we shld sit bank and develop ideas that will get the subsidy to masses directly, instead of fighting for oil marketers who r already rich, and can afford to get out of this country, once it breaks or in event of a war (God forbid), pls people let us think and not just jump into conclusions or engage in arguments that do not portray progress.

Yes is the right step in the right direction, wether we like it or not, we cannot sustain this kind of "subsidy to few oil marketers policy", we will neva move forward. Please let us stop and think, if we really r concerned about the poor and cheated in this countr, then we shld think of better alternative subsidy that will affect the vast poor majority, instead of canvassing for more funds for oil marketers. Please stop all this wranglings and think.

I guess the big boys {oil marketers) are preparing for the last swoop of subsidy (if its re-instated) and r already making plans, I bet u.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by 989900: 11:33pm On Jan 12, 2012
1. Give me one good reason for Nigerians to trust the gov't?

2. Cabal , Mafia, Cartel, who created them? who owns them?

3. How did the subsidy funds more than tripled in a year thereabout?

4. Why won't our refineries work?

5. Why should you trust a gov't (not only GEJ's gov't) that can't manage just 4 refineries in an oil producing state properly, with executing 1.3 trillion Naira properly (making sure the benefits of the removal surpasses the additional burden of extra 76naira/litre)?

6. Why should you trust a family that spends N3m of the people's money for feeding/day?

7. What happened to excess crude account?

8. If we are producing 30%-60% thereabout locally, why are we given an arithmetic of 100% subsidy in the stead of 70%-40% of imported products?

9. Why should/would the people trust a gov't that can't protect her borders, with N1.3trillion excess cash for some ambiguous projects?

10. Why would the people trust a gov't that the VP spends over N500m for power supply (UPS, Gen and NEPA, LMAO) for himself while the rest of the country languish in darkness?

11. Why should you trust the president or any elected officer in this gov't or the past with the insane amount of corruption and misappropriation we all can see going on?

12. If the gov't's sincere, why can't they "earn the people's trust" by proactive actions instead of begging "trust us"?

Some folks have asked some more questions read them and probably provide us answers. In btw, this ain't about subsidy removal alone no more, the people wants to see the faces behind the cabal and want them prosecuted. They want corruption and gov't's excesses cut to half or a thrird. They want what's rightfully theirs, subsidy removal just pulled the trigger of an already loaded gun.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Mynd44: 11:34pm On Jan 12, 2012
What is Seun's stance on this issue?
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by eledalo: 11:35pm On Jan 12, 2012
Beaf:

Or Buhari voted 524 times. LOL!
Loser!

Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by caseymoney(m): 11:38pm On Jan 12, 2012
Beaf:

What makes them selfish? There's no continuity in Nigeria Govt. The only thing that has been consistent about the military leader and PDP led democratic Govt is Fuel subsidy removal. There's nothing like subsidy but an avenue for them to enrich their pocket. If the four refineries are working, cost of local production shouldn't be more than N35.

What brought about subsidy? Corruption, since the Abacha Govt then realize it's more profitable to import exported Crude Oil. In fact, I could even remember some bad oil imported then, knocked engines. PDP have been there since 1999, what is GEJ going to do that his Mentor and Political father hasn't done. The same Ngozi promised all these nonsense during OBJ.

I support Subsidy removal and my approach is as follows.

1. Borrow money and fix all four refineries.

2. Refine locally and there would be no need for subsidy.

3. Alternatively, Govt should fully deregulate the downstream sector and not in the business of fixing prices.

They talk about foreign investors, do they think a reasonable company will invest in an unrest country. Abeg, Jonah fight corruption and insecurity in the nation and everything will follow suit
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Beaf: 11:40pm On Jan 12, 2012
madprof:

Ultimately, we are probably better off without subsidy. The method of implementation however is very important. I suggest it is removed in stages over a period of time. Meanwhile the govt should first of all show good faith by providing amenities such as stable power supply and a robust, modern rail transport system. Then Nigerians would have little need for the petrol anyway.

The prostests would have been better received if they were about removing the subsidy in stages, I too support that. However, those who wish us to continue our enslavement to the former importation regime are just selfish people who couldn't give a toss if the country ground to a jarring halt tomorrow, so long as their bellies are full.

Nothing good in life comes easy, sweat, pain and planning breed success, not wastefully subsidising fuel for the whole of West Africa. More than that, there is limited time available before we crash finally and resources are finite; so the removal has to be done with urgency.
The old fuel import regime must end for Nigeria to survive, grow and develop.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 12, 2012
Gmilad:

@beaf u r d only selfish person here. U tlk as if u r been paid by gej 2 canvass 4 supports

I still don't understand why you guys take Beaf seriously. Either the guy is a clown or he probably does not live in Nigeria.

The gospel truth is simple: without basic infrastructure and social amenities, Nigerians need subsidy on the price of PMS to survive in a very harsh economy like Nigeria.

However, this subsidy should be worked out in such a way that corrupt minded officials and importers will not hijack it again. However, |I do not see how that will happen except through a bloody revolution.

The present crop of leaders in Nigeria share the same trait with Jonathan Goodluck-NONE OF THEM HAVE ENOUGH FORESIGHT TO APPREHEND THE FUTURE
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by damola1: 11:41pm On Jan 12, 2012
Even if it's good for us. We don't want it, is it by force?
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Mogidi: 11:42pm On Jan 12, 2012
Gbawe
When will you stop talking like this? These are the type of threads you should not comment on out of respect for the fact that a majority, by far, are against your stance which, by the way, is the only selfish one anyone not blind with sentiments can fathom

If there's anyone blinded by sentiments, that person would be you. You constantly castigate GEJ while leaving Tinubu's ACN. Abeg take the log off your eyes so as to see the speck in other people's eyes.

damola1:

Even if it's good for us. We don't want it,  is it by force?
How much oil does your state produce? Abeg no yarn dust jare.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by 989900: 11:42pm On Jan 12, 2012
saw this alert.

The msg reads:

while quoting the Qur'an of Surah chpt. 2 : 216, 190, 191 & 195. A lot of NYSC corpers have already been told

This is already bad enough, anarchy looms. . and what did my C in C do? Increase fuel price. . SMH
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by dublinkmy6: 11:43pm On Jan 12, 2012
76% of Nigerians means majority and that means that this country has a long way to go in all honesty. American dung will even be light years away and we really have a bleak future as a Nation.
A Nation that cannot trust and cooperate with their rightfuly elected president, not ready to do anything for their nation but expect miracles from one man. A very clueless majority that doesn't think of their future. A nation that pulls in a thousand and one directions, killing themselves, holding grudges against themselves. Most especially, an uneducated majority in this millenium. Our national future is doomed as it stands and some will be expecting miracles.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Beaf: 11:44pm On Jan 12, 2012
caseymoney:

What makes them selfish? There's no continuity in Nigeria Govt. The only thing that has been consistent about the military leader and PDP led democratic Govt is Fuel subsidy removal. There's nothing like subsidy but an avenue for them to enrich their pocket. If the four refineries are working, cost of local production shouldn't be more than N35.

What brought about subsidy? Corruption, since the Abacha Govt then realize it's more profitable to import exported Crude Oil. In fact, I could even remember some bad oil imported then, knocked engines. PDP have been there since 1999, what is GEJ going to do that his Mentor and Political father hasn't done. The same Ngozi promised all these nonsense during OBJ.

I support Subsidy removal and my approach is as follows.

1. Borrow money and fix all four refineries.

2. Refine locally and there would be no need for subsidy.

3. Alternatively, Govt should fully deregulate the downstream sector and not in the business of fixing prices.

They talk about foreign investors, do they think a reasonable company will invest in an unrest country. Abeg, Jonah fight corruption and insecurity in the nation and everything will follow suit

Until you remove the subsidy, everything you mentioned above will be a wild dream. The very same NLC that led you on a missionless protest will be the ones to sabotage the refineries they are in charge of, so that brown envelopes can keep flowing.
You have to uproot the entire system or remain churning water without movement. It is just like curing the police of corruption, an impossible task.

The real problem is Nigerians.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Mogidi: 11:45pm On Jan 12, 2012
dublinkmy6:

76% of Nigerians means majority.

None of those 76% Nigerians come from an oil producing state. Let the owners speak abeg.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by dejust(m): 11:46pm On Jan 12, 2012
If majority say that they don't want it, minority will since susidy has gone and is not in sight or likely to return, no matter the noise.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by 3direct: 11:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
Wislet:

saw this alert.

The msg reads:

I got a call from a friend that ask me to pray for her against the news of the mass massacre spreading up north, that nutting should happen, I said i will,  but i havnt,
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by Seun(m): 11:50pm On Jan 12, 2012
OAM4J:

@Seun

I couldn't vote because I don't want subsidy back to N65, I also don't want it removed at once. My stand is a phased removal tied to government performance over a period of 1 - 2yrs.

Yes, but if you must choose between the two, which do you think is the lesser evil? Vote for that.
Re: Do You Want The Fuel Subsidy Back? Please Vote Here: by caseymoney(m): 11:50pm On Jan 12, 2012
I hate when some people compare developed world with an under developed world like Nigeria. The minimum wage in the US is $1,343/Month the average cost of PMS in the US is $3.38/gallon. Nigeria on the other hand Average monthly salary is $112/Month and with the removal of subsidy a gallon of PMS cost $3.50. So, a poor and under developed nation is even paying more than an advanced country like the US.  So, where does the comparison comes in?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Rakes In N1.8trn In 6 Months –FIRS / Serap Gives Njc 7days To Refer Released Judges To Efcc, Icpc For prosecution / Despite Vote Of Confidence, Ayu Faces Critical Week In Battle For Survival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.