Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,458 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? (4042 Views)

Pump Price Of Petrol Now Reduced To 65 Naira Per Litre (FALSE NEWS) / FG Reverts Fuel Price To 65 Naira Per Liter? / Iweala The Imf/world Bank Agent Vows To Resign If Gej Return To 65 Naira <Rumor> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 8:27am On Jan 13, 2012
In my own opinion, their is no winner or loser if the price of fuel is returned to 65. But we should be ready to return to the era of fuel scarcity as govt will want to reduce the rate of import of the product, most of the marketers will loose their right to import the product which were given to them to ease fuel scarcity (least we have forgotten) then. In addition to these, marketers will now form the habit of hoarding and reckless pricing of the product in view that the subsidy will certainly be removed at a certain date. Therefore, be ready to queue to get your petrol.

1 Like

Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by henrysam(m): 8:42am On Jan 13, 2012
If there is fuel scarcity now if peradventure fg revert to 65 naira. Will labour and civil society call another strike, wont pple suffuer more by queing for pms, wont our business suffer. I mean wat we shld do is to agree on issues dat affects us as a nation and move forward. The masses will contine to suffer no doubt about dis.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 8:59am On Jan 13, 2012
This is something that will surely happen and I don't know what we stand to gain in the end of this crisis

1 Like

Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 13, 2012
seunlayi:

In my own opinion, their is no winner or loser if the price of fuel is returned to 65. But we should be ready to return to the era of fuel scarcity as govt will want to reduce the rate of import of the product, most of the marketers will loose their right to import the product which were given to them to ease fuel scarcity (least we have forgotten) then.  In addition to these, marketers will now form the habit of hoarding and reckless pricing of the product in view that the subsidy will certainly be removed at a certain date. Therefore, be ready to queue to get your petrol.

WORD!
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by slap1(m): 9:43am On Jan 13, 2012
If we really have a working government, there won't be scarcity when the price is N65. The only thing I see is that the government is not sincere.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by ceejayluv(m): 9:47am On Jan 13, 2012
The NASS members and govt officials will go back to their normal embezzlement business, marketers will hoard fuel in anticipation of April subsidy removal.
The #occupyNigeria movement will then amount to nothing but a conservative, retrogressive hullabaloo if we fail to enthrone transparency in govt.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 13, 2012
slap1:

If we really have a working government, there won't be scarcity when the price is N65. The only thing I see is that the government is not sincere.

correct!!!
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by PHIPEX(m): 9:48am On Jan 13, 2012
slap1:

So get ready to also occupy the filling station afterall the govt is not sincere, We can't eat out cake and still have it.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by Boboribo: 9:58am On Jan 13, 2012
The effect will be that government will create artificial scarcity to make it seem that they are helpless in the present circumstance.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by efisher(m): 9:58am On Jan 13, 2012
One word: Perambulation!
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by honeric01(m): 10:15am On Jan 13, 2012
Fellow Nigerians,
How long will the statement which was made by elites against us as being "A Bunch Of Cowards" be affirmed?
This is very annoying, we are just in day 5 of the struggle and some agent of destruction, who for d fact that dey can afford to buy PMS @ N141 even up to N200, are already complaining of boredom at home.
Listen carefully, this is a fight we must win - There is NO GOING back. Do you know that the Egyptian sacrificed so much before the oppressors succumb? Do you think it happened on a bed of Roses? Gentle men, if you are bored, choose from the different options below:-
1) You can trek to Ojota (Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Square) and join us.
2) You can sit in d comfort of ur homes and watch us live and keep re broadcasting any message associated with d on-going strike. *beer*
3) You can jog or take a stroll with your immediate environ or keep fulfilling the commandment of God - be fruitful and multiply(If u r married). These are "kuku" one form of exercise or d other./smiley
4) You can take cyprigold/cypron/super appette and sleep off till March. If u r still bored 3-|
5) Finally you can trek to Cotonou - Benin Republic and denounce Nigeria.
Its high-time Nigeria let go of cowards like you, who for d enjoyment of today's pourage - sold not only his birth right but also his conscience! >:O#gbam#>:O.
This message is to strengthen and encourage loyal Nigerians like us and to talk some sense into weak and lazy Nigerians like those who won't forward dis mssg!
It's NOW or NEVER!!
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by lastpage: 10:21am On Jan 13, 2012
How come you made a whole thread out of this your former post and its already on "frontpage" LKWMD?

Well, this was the answer l gave to your post on that thread!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-844815.128.html#msg9954715

Brother,
All the above-stated ARE NOT CAUSED BY FUEL SUBSIDY NOW?
Seems more like BLACKMAIL and FEAR-MONGERING, to me! Grin Grin

If you doubt it, l will take them one after another!

Fuel scarcity

1.) is a cumulative effect of corruption, which prevents our own local refineries from working to full capacity because some "Govt Official" has pocketed the TAM (Turn Around Maintenance) money meant for its repair! It could also be as a result of deliberate Sabotage by agents of those who benefit from importation of fuel!

2.)Lack of Vision of our Presidents: Like Jonathan, most of our Leaders lack vision and foresight, they should have at least been able to forsee that a nation where all the Electricity Power Stations are comatose, will ultimately depend on fossil fuel like PMS (petrol), to power itself. As such, they could at least have made a deliberate policy of building ONE Refinery every TWO years

Dont tell me we dont have MONEY to do so!
Let me joggle your memory a bit: First Gulf War Oil Windfall, where is it (Babangida, 2.8Billion Dollars!). Second gulf War Windfall (Abacha took that one), Iraq War (Obasanjo Took that one), Excess Crude Oil account windfall (Jonathan shared with his Governors $23Billion).
So brother, Money is not our problem, having the "sense" on what to spend it on is our leaders nightmare! Grin

3.) Corruption by Govt officials: From the NNPC staff who signs-of on inflated/ empty "subsidized fuel import Invoice", to GEJ's Cabals that built refinery in Gambia and other Smaller West African Countries with our looted treasury, while smuggling/bunkering  our crude oil for refinement there and then import it back to Nigeria for selling to us at "subsidized price", to the Minister who gets a "Percentage" of all these economic sabotage of our Nation, they are all in it together. Only a decisive "Head-hunt" of these people (a la Rawling style), can save us from them.

We can also lump all those useless NASS members who are a burden to our national purse into these category. Its all corruption or how do you explain that one man earns 54Million Naira EVERY MONTH, just for sitting idly at the National Assembly, in a country where some cant get 200naira for daily food?
I just wonder why those that have the means (Boko Haram), dont have the brains to know where to put these bombs? Angry Angry

If we can deal with just the three examples l gave above, we will be okay now, dont you think?
Just imagine if Jonathan has decided to pay for and build 4 New Refineries (at $2.3Billion each => $9.2Billion) and share the remaining $13.8Billion with his Governors, are we going to be crying over subsidy removal when we know that we would soon be refining everything locally? But Hell NO, his greed is that of "A Man who had no Shoes while he was growing Up"! Grin Grin Grin

Lets be honest, it is very unfair to those poor women and children who have to trek 10kilometers every day just because they can afford transport fare or that 3Months old baby whose skin will now turn to a haven for skin lessions just because "daddy can no longer afford to buy fuel in his Generator! Have you ever heard a baby crying at 2pm in the afternoon due to "excessive heat"? (No Nepa, No fuel for Generator! Grin )

Try listen to that cry and you will develop the fear of God and a deep hatred for those who entrench such evil.

Look, there is so much "waste and looting in Nigeria" that foreigners wonder when they see Nigerians enduring "second-class citizenship" abroad, in poorer countries!

When it was 75K/Liter and there was subsidy in place , we had fuel scarcity, but when it was 65naira and there was subsidy in place, there was no fuel scarcity! So you see, its not about pricing of the product per se.

Cheers.

Lastpage
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by born2boink(m): 10:25am On Jan 13, 2012
honeric01:

Fellow Nigerians,
How long will the statement which was made by elites against us as being "A Bunch Of Cowards" be affirmed?
This is very annoying, we are just in day 5 of the struggle and some agent of destruction, who for d fact that dey can afford to buy PMS @ N141 even up to N200, are already complaining of boredom at home.
Listen carefully, this is a fight we must win - There is NO GOING back. Do you know that the Egyptian sacrificed so much before the oppressors succumb? Do you think it happened on a bed of Roses? Gentle men, if you are bored, choose from the different options below:-
2) You can sit in d comfort of your homes and watch us live and keep re broadcasting any message associated with d on-going strike. *beer*
3) You can jog or take a stroll with your immediate environ or keep fulfilling the commandment of God - be fruitful and multiply(If u r married). These are "kuku" one form of exercise or d other./smiley
4) You can take cyprigold/cypron/super appette and sleep off till March. If u r still bored 3-|
Its high-time Nigeria let go of cowards like you, who for d enjoyment of today's pourage - sold not only his birth right but also his conscience! >:O#gbam#>:O.
This message is to strengthen and encourage loyal Nigerians like us and to talk some sense into weak and lazy Nigerians like those who won't forward dis mssg!
It's NOW or NEVER!!
Yes , I support you , we must return the name badluck to Goodluck again, we never name our president badluck when was born but he grew up to change his name to Badluck from goodluck, He must change even if to cain him buttock, No pickin pass his father, Nigerians are his father
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 10:48am On Jan 13, 2012
@lastpage, i left that tread immediately I posted my comment. From all you have said, we are on the same side. Moreover, i always tell people that what we actually needed is not subsidy removal more for a total overhaul of our system. Look at all that you have highlighted, are they the fault of the masses? No, but the fault of our leaders both past and present, look at the zero level we are now with noting to show that we are really developing.

1 Like

Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by zsch: 11:10am On Jan 13, 2012
Hmm!!!
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by zsch: 11:13am On Jan 13, 2012
surely you know this protest isnt all about subsidy. I wont preach again on info you can find online bt the presentt Government is wasteful and if they really cared about the country they governed, subsidy funds (which analyst have proven to never exist and affect the 'masses') would have been deducted from government salary/bonuses before creating this chaos for 9igerians.
Be that as it may, we are fighting for transparency in this government, and possible resignation of Ministers who have proven to not know shit about the Govt parastatals they head.
EOD

ps check this new blog i stumbled on,
http://cyphersdot..com
kinda hilarious. Pls support our fellow budding Nigerian brother.
Cheers
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by Thom14: 11:22am On Jan 13, 2012
The Gov should work on the Refinaries & Eletricity 1st then Nigerians can be convinced to believe on what ever he says. grin
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by Nnamsco4real: 11:46am On Jan 13, 2012
fuel scarcity will definately happen in this case
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by OneNaira6: 12:04pm On Jan 13, 2012
The same. That's why I do not support the protest, it has no positive outcome. If fuel removal is revised, what then? Everything will go back to the way it was. The same corruption, embezzlement, Boko Haram, Poverty, etc will continue; the unfortunate reality is the protest is going the opposite way: it is affecting an average working Nigerian as oppose to the government, whom I know they are trying to hurt.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 12:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
Nnamsco4real:

fuel scarcity will definately happen in this case
but if nlc and co can shine their eyes now and negotiate further on the availability of the product then the looming scarcity can be averted.

1 Like

Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by oloriooko(m): 1:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
i do not see any good coming out of this. though its painful for many people cos of the subsidy removal but you cannot expect the fuel diverters to go to sleep now that they know the subsidy will be removed very soon.
this matter is like a yoruba adage: ki won so si eniyan lenu ki won tu bu iyo si, iso ni ko se ponla, iyo ni ko se tu sonu ; meaning dem mess inside your mouth at same time put something sweet in the same mouth, you no fit swallow mess at same time you no fit spit out the sweet thing.
i feel sorry for GEJ cos he came to power at this "unfortunate" time in our history. all our past leaders were concerned amassing wealth for themselves at the expense of the country, now we are in a dilemma but we cannot and will not stop praying cos there is still hope for us.
may God grant him wisdom to make the right decision and steer 9ja in the right path amen.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jan 13, 2012
seunlayi:

but if nlc and co can shine their eyes now and negotiate further on the availability of the product then the looming scarcity can be averted.

they cannot negotiate that with the govt. Anyone that owns a filling station right now, including the marketers importing will buy at 65 and hoard fuel till april when the subsidy is removed. govt cannot force them to sell. its a free market.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 2:48pm On Jan 13, 2012
what is the way forward?

1 Like

Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by franksmart: 4:23pm On Jan 13, 2012
*Their will be fuel scarcity. All our neighbouring countries sale their fuel at the rate of N170+ which is over 100% gain if the dealers succeed in taking our oil there. they will not like to sell it in Nig. This is business.
*govt will not have the zeal to create more job because the poor masses have failed them.
*Every thing will remain stagnant as it were b4, if u can remember their has been no job 4 our our youth not to talk of the youth-to-be.
The security of our border will be weak cos of corrupt transactions by the fuel dealer around the border.
Once their is fuel scarcity the Price of fuel will increase may be to N80. (an average man will say afterall it is better than N140 but then we loose our employment govt promised our children).
*Their will not be private investors
This is a game of monopoly
The conspiracy of the rich. So, before you act think twice. If am to fight I will fight for my children cos they are to take care of me when am old. LET US COME OUT OF THIS RAT RACE. A little SACRIFICE
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by adino(m): 10:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
@ franksmart
*Their will be fuel scarcity. All our neighbouring countries sale their fuel at the rate of N170+  which is over 100% gain if the dealers succeed in taking our oil there. they will not like to sell it in Nig. This is business.
*govt will not have the zeal to create more job because the poor masses have failed them.
*Every thing will remain stagnant as it were b4, if u can remember their has been no job 4 our our youth not to talk of the youth-to-be.
The security of our border will be weak cos of corrupt transactions by the fuel dealer around the border.
Once their is fuel scarcity the Price of fuel will increase may be to N80. (an average man will say afterall it is better than N140 but then we loose our employment govt promised our children).
*Their will not be private investors
This is a game of monopoly
The conspiracy of the rich. So, before you act think twice. If am to fight I will fight for my children cos they are to take care of me when am old. LET US COME OUT OF THIS RAT RACE. A little SACRIFICE

You are absolutely correct. Past Governments have looted Nigeria blind without caring a hoot about Nigerians and the left over effect (absolute poverty of the mind, body and soul) have affected most Nigerians that they cannot even reason at all.
It is a pity Nigerians have failed this govt. President Jonathan came at the most unfortunate time in our history and if Nigerians make him fail then we should forget about this country called Nigerians.
Those shouting revolution I just pity them, by the time it starts they will wish they were never born.
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by adino(m): 10:22pm On Jan 13, 2012
Lest I forget, if there is a reversal to N65. There will definitely be fuel scarcity because Jonathan is now once badly beaten forever shy. Many import licenses will be revoked and the volume of pms to be subsidised will be drastically reduced. NLC/TUC just shot Nigerians in the foot.
For your info no govt even from Abacha was able to stop fuel scarcity. But, Jonathan stopped it and the marketers paid him back by stabbing him on the back. Nigerians has forgotten so soon that they never experienced fuel scarcity during this regime (first time in more than 15 years).It is unfortunate that we forget things easily in this country.
Everybody, goats, fowls, fools, idiots, failed politicians are all insulting him, forgetting the fact that it is the 36 State Governors that initiated the fuel subsidy removal in the first place only to back away when the heat blew up.
Why blame and even insulting GEJ alone?
Why the occupy carnival @ Ojota, when the ideal centre for occupy Lagos is supposed to be Lekki Toll Gate?
How come those artiste pay toll (to and fro)at Lekki and come to Ojota carnival to insult GEJ?
Why these gross hypocrisy?
I do not fancy Jonathan at this trying times, but my prayers are for him daily and I know he will succeed. My only happiness is that he now knows his friends.
IF WE DO NOT SUCCEED AS NIGERIA, WE WILL SUCCEED AS THE HARDWORKING PEOPLE OF SS, SE AND MB
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 4:45am On Jan 14, 2012
i was taking to somebody yesterday about this all he said was that they should return to 65. But in the evening, he called me and said that he has been thinking about it and he latter suggested that those negotiating should better look for a way out now.

1 Like

Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by daregold: 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2012
honeric01:

Fellow Nigerians,
2) You can sit in d comfort of your homes and watch us live and keep re broadcasting any message associated with d on-going strike. *beer*
It's NOW or NEVER!!

Thank you brother, tell them!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by zsch: 12:50am On Jan 18, 2012
day 6 and NLC/TUC caved in and the morale of every protester crashed by at least half. Where next for Nigeria as i dont see another Nation wide strike being as successful
Re: If The Price Of Petrol Is Returned To 65, What Will Be The Effects? by seunlayi(m): 6:18am On Jan 20, 2012
I think they did what they think is best under that situation but not putting the interest of many at hand.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The President Of Nigeria? / Strength And Weaknesses Of APC Presidential Aspirants: Who Wins, Who Loses? / Pdp Now In The Lagoon. Temetemi, barcanista & Firefire Leads (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.