Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. (10487 Views)

The Chief Security Officer Of Rsust Ephraim Omu / 2nd Choice Admission List Of Rsust Is Out / Update Of Rsust Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by donigspain(m): 9:07am On Jan 13, 2012
Reports reaching me and which has been confirmed by Cool FM, Portharcourt, says there has been an explosion which was accompanied by a fire outbreak at the office of the Registrar of Rivers State University of Science and Technology. The incident occured at about 8pm last night and immediately the Fire Service department of Rivers State came to help put the situation under control. Investigations from the Police Bomb Department suggest no presence of bomb fragments which rules out any possibility of the incident to be caused by bomb explosion but the school security as well as eye witness accounts suggest the explosion was actually a bomb blast. In the meantime, investigation is still on.

VICE chancellor of the Rivers State University of Science and Technology (RSUST), Port Harcourt, Professor Barineme Bekee Fakae and the university’s registrar, Mrs. Daba Odimabo were lucky to escape death on Wednesday January 11 evening, following an explosion that rocked the administrative block of the institution.

The Moment gathered from sources at the university that unknown armed men had thrown the explosive device, suspected to be a bomb into the administrative block, causing a huge explosion that shattered the offices of the vice chancellor and the registrar.

It was also gathered that both Fakae and Odimabo were not in their offices when the explosion, which caused severe damages in the building occurred.

When contacted, the institution’s deputy registrar, public affairs, Mr. Desmond Wosu confirmed the explosion but said they were yet to determine if the explosive device was a bomb or dynamite.

‘We heard the explosion last night. It was between the hours of 7.30 and 8.00 pm. We heard a very big explosion here and the security within the institution rushed down there and saw fire.

Luckily, they used the available fire extinguisher to put off the fire.

But we cannot determine whether it was a bomb or a dynamite,’ Wosu explained.

He, however, said that police had come to examine what happened and are now investigating the matter.

The police public relations officer (PPRO) in the state, Mr. Ben Ugwuegbulem, who also confirmed the incident, however said the explosion was caused by an electrical fault from one of the refrigerators in the vice chancellor’s office.
http://www.momentng.com/en/news/5977/explosion-rocks-rivers-state-university-.html
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by bilaya(m): 11:38am On Jan 13, 2012
Misleading story.It has been confirmed that the explosion was caused by an electrical fault.Why the hell did u leave that out?
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by ismhab(m): 11:42am On Jan 13, 2012
Blame the niger delta boko haram elements.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by xanadu333: 11:42am On Jan 13, 2012
Boko haraam, plz I beg u in d name of Allah. I love u guys so much bt u guys are nt doing d right job. Plz leave d poor masses alone. Go & bomb d aso rock & d whole Nigeria wld compensate u guys. Go bomb aso villa when GEJ is sleepn
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by itodje(m): 11:44am On Jan 13, 2012
what do u mean as boko haram niger delta. shocked cool

Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 13, 2012
Rsust allow kids graduate oooooooo, stop frustrating them, i knw i was tempted to do d same out of frustration while in dat crazy sch.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by nairaman66(m): 11:50am On Jan 13, 2012
What kind of electrical fault could cause a severe explosion?? Hmnn, 9ja sha?
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by worm(f): 11:53am On Jan 13, 2012
xanadu333:

Boko haraam, plz I beg u in d name of Allah. I love u guys so much bt u guys are nt doing d right job. Plz leave d poor masses alone. Go & bomb d aso rock & d whole Nigeria wld compensate u guys. Go bomb aso villa when GEJ is sleepn

^^
Nonsense!
Now even if nepa take light it's gonna be boko haram
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by bilaya(m): 11:54am On Jan 13, 2012
By Jimitota Onoyume
Port Harcourt— Explosion rocked the office of the Registrar of Rivers State University of Science and Technology, RSUST, Wednesday night.

Confirming the development, Rivers State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Ben Uguegbulam, said there was no casualty in the incident. He said the Police had moved in to investigate the incident.

His words: “At about 1940hrs, the Commissioner of Police detailed Police Explosive Ordinance Department team of the Command to proceed to the office of the VC, RUSTH in response to a reported incident of suspected explosion in the office of the VC. The team arrived at the scene at about 2000hrs and commenced post blast investigation at the already cordoned scene.

“That continued till this morning (yesterday), when at about 0930hrs, investigation did not recover any piece of evidence indicating the use of improvised explosive device, IED. Rather, the fire was started by electrical device serving office refrigerator. The fire was earlier put off by the campus security. No injury or serious damage was recorded. Investigation is continuing.

When contacted, the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Barineme  Fakae, said that the explosion occurred at the office of the university Registrar,  which is in the same block with his. According to him, nobody was hurt

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/explosion-rocks-rsust/
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by slap1(m): 11:58am On Jan 13, 2012
I am genuinely suprized that the school have a working fire extinguisher. Thank God that there was no major damage.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by sugardaddy1(m): 12:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
Ok, I want that same electrical fault and explosion in Amaechi's office  for leading his fellow vampire Governors in support of subsidy removal.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by ziccoit: 12:06pm On Jan 13, 2012
I can't remember the last time I heard a case of arm robber attack and other deadly criminals. When a child cries, it is boko haram. When a husband fights his wife, boko haram is in trouble. Student that failed an exam due to unseriousness, boko haram is the cause.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by bigfat01: 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
[size=15pt]A VERY INTRESTING COUNTRY called NIGERIA , [/size]
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by Blackteeth(m): 12:15pm On Jan 13, 2012
everyone should know how things are usually blown out of proportion in Nigeria. fusebox explosion can become a bomb explosion.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by hollandis(f): 12:24pm On Jan 13, 2012
Lucky they were not there forking female students.it"d have been day of reckoning
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by sadyeek(m): 12:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
^^^^^

I am ashamed a lady typed thos words,
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by elderbros(m): 12:39pm On Jan 13, 2012
Subhanallah!
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by justwise(m): 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2012
Misleading title.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by Sub5(m): 12:50pm On Jan 13, 2012
fusebox explosion can become a bomb explosion.
this is true and also depends on the degree of the explosion
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by fortran12: 12:53pm On Jan 13, 2012
Rumour mongering
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by Chiori(m): 1:02pm On Jan 13, 2012
hope it is not true
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by NAJALYN: 1:25pm On Jan 13, 2012
Thank God no lives lost.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by dejust(m): 1:42pm On Jan 13, 2012
Bad news is always a good caption thats why many people use it to atract sympaty readers.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by ignis: 2:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
Wonders will never cease to end.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by donigspain(m): 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2012
Was there an explosion or not? Does all explosions result from bombs? Why then should people criticize the title saying its misleading or is the brains of Nigerians programmed to think on a one-way traffic pattern? Anyways, its a good thing to know that no one was hurt as the school is known to bubble with activities day and night (even on strike periods) even as it is 'normally' as a short-route/thorough fare (apiam way) to Eagle Island. I also pray the management of RSUST makes use of this opportunity to resolve its 3yr old strike issues. SMH, my friend that got admission with me same year has been in 200 level for 3yrs running while am already a graduate. GOD help them.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by donigspain(m): 3:23pm On Jan 13, 2012
^, 'normally' USED as a short-route, BTW, anybody is right to suspect a bomb blast considering the fact that the two offices (VC's & REGISTRAR's) are nowhere close to each other. What are the chances of having explosions/fire in the two offices about the same time on the same day? Hmmm, unless someone or people are trying to cover up a track which can only be achieved through arson by destroying classified documents.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by omoalaro: 6:57pm On Jan 13, 2012
As usual, they have stolen enough money and decided to destroy all evidence by burning the office. Blame it on Boko Haram, very easy.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by Switup: 8:02pm On Jan 13, 2012
I dey lafffffff
this is nt soposed to be a funny thread but som poster are really makin me to 'L' my heart OL'
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by clip: 8:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
Please the people confirm the true story and inform us. The source
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by DeepSoul(f): 8:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
Crazy school. Almost frustrated me to madness.

I managed to marginally escape by some great miracle

Maybe someone who wasnt so lucky decided to blow it up grin grin
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by slyopez(m): 11:56pm On Jan 13, 2012
Wish the bomb exploded when all the old punks called Univ SENATE were having their meeting. Just managed to escape from that skul after lots of frustration and victimization from their lectures. But i don tell dem say my future no dey dia hand.
Re: Explosion Rocks Registrar's Office Of Rsust. by mapist(m): 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2014
worm:

^^
Nonsense!
Now even if nepa take light it's gonna be boko haram

Its so evident ur growing to become a FANATIC.just accept d sad fact dat,d terrorists r muslims..its a common phenomenon all over d world..I don't know if u av heard d word "ISIS states" b4.do dey belong to xtians?D fact dat dey r muslims doesn't mean all muslims r d same..u just need to add common sense to ur judgements and stop cr8ing or tryna cr8 a religious fracas.

(1) (Reply)

'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun / Unilag 2nd/supplementary Lists. / 2015/2016 Obafemi Awolowo University Post UTME Result Is Out: Check It Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.