Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff (9813 Views)

See Wat Fashola Told GEJ When There Was Oil Slump+Hike In Fuel Price In 2014(Pic / Could These Be Why Electricty Is Stable In Nigeria Now??? Photos / Knocks For Jonathan Over 50% Electricty Tariff Reduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by aletheia(m): 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2012
^
@ekt_bear:
I think you should stop defending the man El-Rufai. The initial post is only one in a series that is typical of the hypocrite that El-Rufai is.
For example:

El-Rufai insists Buhari is unelectable

Mohammadu Buhari’s record as a military head of state will perpetually render him unelectable because Nigerians will never desire a repeat of such administration, said Nasir El-Rufai, former FCT Minister.

Reacting to statements made by the Mohammadu Buhari’s party, Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), regarding the advice he gave the retired army general to retire from politics, Mr. El-Rufai, in a statement on Monday, said age is certainly a factor in the coming presidential election since Ibrahim Babangida has already defamed young Nigerians as unfit for national leadership.

“While it is true that neither youth nor age supplies wisdom on their own, it makes sense to ask those who have been recurring decimals in our country’s sorry history to leave the stage. I’m amazed that General Buhari cannot debate this matter without scurrying to the gutter, making claims that are baseless and unsupported by any facts,” said Mr. El-Rufai, describing Mr. Buhari’s leadership style as parochial and insensitive to Nigeria’s diverse background.

He asked whether “the failure [of Mr. Buhari and Mr. Babangida] to do their best for Nigeria when they had the chance qualifies them for a return to office. Our people surely deserve better.”
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2012
aletheia:

^
@ekt_bear:
I think you should stop defending the man El-Rufai. The initial post is only one in a series that is typical of the hypocrite that El-Rufai is.
For example:

human beings have been known to change their opinions

a lot of people have done just that as far as gej is concerned, and in a much shorter time.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 3:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
OK, let me amend my statement to hypocritical on this issue of fuel subsidy. I am not interested in defending him in general, but I don't see why he is a hypocrite on this specific topic.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 3:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
ekt_bear:

The onus is on you all to demonstrate that he is a hypocrite, not for anyone else to demonstrate that he is not.

Thus far, you all have failed woefully.

No sir, you are the obvious failure for not proving that what i posted below, did not debunk your earlier desperate attempts in obscuring simple facts to no end . .i even culled your post to buttress my point . .

[size=14pt]He advised NERC to "do that which is needful by having the courage to increase the tariff irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be[/size]

Can we have a clear understanding of the phrase above bolded in red . . . GEJ is being accused of being politically wrong/incorrect [/b]for not assenting to the dissenting voices of the masses which is understandable . .And the main reason is that in a [b]democratic setting, being autocratic in a decision making process is politically wrong/incorrect, especially with noticeable dissent coming from the masses (Though not all) . . .

All these reasons are accrued to the distrust the masses have in the government . . .which is political in itself . . cos the people have lost believe in the political system to deliver, due to a long history of dishonesty and personal greed . . .

Now with the above stated facts . . .How has El-rufai hypocritical stance [/b]changed . . trying to place a one sided shallow defense won't suffice here . . .the evidence are clear . . .

[b]If you can't dispel the above properly and not your  wishy-washy desperate attempts at saying nothing . . then it's was indeed very silly of you to call others dumb . .  even after your post was referenced  . .

Until then . . . i might just chose to ignore you until you do a good job neutralizing what is placed up there . .  cos Am not disposed to the back and forth argument that leads to no where

Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
jmaine:

No sir, you are the obvious failure for not proving that what i posted below, did not debunk your earlier desperate attempts in obscuring simple facts to no end . .i even culled your post to buttress my point . .

Can we have a clear understanding of the phrase above bolded in red . . . GEJ is being accused of being politically wrong/incorrect [/b]for not assenting to the dissenting voices of the masses which is understandable . .And the main reason is that in a [b]democratic setting, being autocratic in a decision making process is politically wrong/incorrect, especially with noticeable dissent coming from the masses (Though not all) . . .

All these reasons are accrued to the distrust the masses have in the government . . .which is political in itself . . cos the people have lost believe in the political system to deliver, due to a long history of dishonesty and personal greed . . .

Now with the above stated facts . . .How has El-rufai hypocritical stance [/b]changed . . trying to place a one sided shallow defense won't suffice here . . .the evidence are clear . . .

[b]If you can't dispel the above properly and not your  wishy-washy desperate attempts at saying nothing . . then it's was indeed very silly of you to call others dumb . .  even after your post was referenced  . .
Until then . . . i might just chose to ignore you until you do a good job neutralizing what is placed up there . .  cos Am not disposed to the back and forth argument that leads to no where

May be if I repost it, it would be clearer and easier for ekt_bear to understand.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 3:33pm On Jan 13, 2012
Who is accusing GEJ of being politically incorrect?

You are beating a straw man. El Rufai is not arguing this.

He is making very specific criticisms, not general accusations of political correctness or lack thereof.

Do you guys get this, or not?

Again, what on earth does political correctness/autocracy/masses/whatever other nonsense you are blathering about have do to with asking for accountability about past spending, for example?

Are you saying that if El Rufai asks for accountability about past spending, this is unreasonable or hypocritical? If so, what is your argument?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Rad1cal: 3:50pm On Jan 13, 2012
El Rufai is a crook and fraudster cool
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by ektbear: 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2012
This is easily one of the weirdest discussions I've had on NL in some time.

Rather than demonstrating that El Rufai has been inconsistent or hypocritical (said A when he said B the other day on the issue of subsidy), this guy jmaine is focusing on the sentence "irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be", and assuming that that is the basis for the criticism.

So does any criticism whatsoever of this policy by GEJ fall under the umbrella of political correctness?

Ok, when I go to the burger joint and ask for onions and the woman tells me they are out, and I complain wishing they had some, she should stop telling me to be politically incorrect?

If the pipes start leaking in my house and the plumber doesn't do a good job of fixing it and I critcize him, he should perhaps tell me to shut up and stop being so politically incorrect?

WTF

Anyway, state your case simply and succintly for why El Rufai is wrong in his criticisms. Which of them do you disagree with? Be specific.

Do you disagree with his request for accountability about past spending? About reduction of recurrent expenditure from 74%?

Very likely you agree with [size=18pt]most[/size] of what he has said.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by FACE(m): 4:13pm On Jan 13, 2012
muami:

El Rufai to NERC "increase tariff so that foreign investors can come in and fix the power sector.
Govt to Nigerians "We need to deregulate/remove subsidy so that investors can come in and build refineries and fix the oil sector
El Rufai to Govt: "NO. Fix the refineries first before increasing price of fuel/removing subsidy

Which part of the hypocricy do people don't understand?

Goalpost shifting.

His stance is very hypocritical and the argument of trust is null and void. People generally do not trust government anywhere in the world, but they still allow their governments to run their countries.

We agree that the system is currupt but we cannot kick against a good policy based on a presumption of future mismanagement.

Government have promised to use the money judiciously and we can only hold them to account if they don't. I have never seen the police arrest a man because they think that he would steal a car that his neighbour is yet to buy. We need to do things in a logical order. The cart does not drive the horse, neither does the tail wag the dog.

Everyone with their own opinion; as for me I am 100% behind the government on this issue and the government must not shift from their position. If per adventure, they give in, they must under-purchace petrol and create scarcity which shoots the price up to about 170/l, let it linger for a while and then authorise the importers to deal directly with the marketers and that would effectively end the subsidy and return petrol to the correct market price. There are many ways to skin a rabbit !
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by jmaine: 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2012
FACE:

Goalpost shifting.

His stance is very hypocritical and the argument of trust is null and void. People generally do not trust government anywhere in the world, but they still allow their governments to run their countries.

We agree that the system is currupt but we cannot kick against a good policy based on a presumption of future mismanagement.

Government have promised to use the money judiciously and we can only hold them to account if they don't. I have never seen the police arrest a man because they think that he would steal a car that his neighbour is yet to buy. We need to do things in a logical order. The cart does not drive the horse, neither does the tail wag the dog.

Everyone with their own opinion; as for me I am 100% behind the government on this issue and the government must not shift from their position. If per adventure, they give in, they must under-purchace petrol and create scarcity which shoots the price up to about 170/l, let it linger for a while and then authorise the importers to deal directly with the marketers and that would effectively end the subsidy and return petrol to the correct market price.  There are many ways to skin a rabbit !

Bros, the embolden harsh oo! cheesy . . .
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Bukittes(f): 4:29pm On Jan 13, 2012
One week, Just in one week, I have lost respect for so many people in this country. El-rufai inclusive. He's just a frustrated, defeated, politician afterall. So sad credible men are hard to find in this my country.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by manny4life(m): 4:31pm On Jan 13, 2012
As for me, for now, let me attack the message FOR NOW, I honestly believe that electricity should be a free market where people decide what they want. Nigeria is WAY BEHIND other countries and the sooner we begin to generate our own electricity, we can begin to manufacture as well as increase. You will see that by 2020, Nigeria will have tripled her GDP which is GOOD for everyone.

Now to the messenger, is it not the same man who lead campaign Abuja against subsidy removal?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by OilSubsidy: 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2012
FACE:

Goalpost shifting.

Everyone with their own opinion; as for me I am 100% behind the government on this issue and the government must not shift from their position. If per adventure, they give in, they must under-purchace petrol and create scarcity which shoots the price up to about 170/l, let it linger for a while and then authorise the importers to deal directly with the marketers and that would effectively end the subsidy and return petrol to the correct market price. There are many ways to skin a rabbit !

O'l boy, U dey mean ooo. I belief this is what is going to happen. This goverment has mde up it's mind about subsidy and i doubt there is anything the masses can do about it.

Let the suffering continue. sad
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by islamrules(m): 4:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
Why can the black African thik holistically? What el rufai is saying is right, but under the appropriate conditions.

It is nonsensical to deregulate the oil industry without deregulating the whole power sector, because producing electricity depends to a large extent on oil and gas.
You cannot deregulate petroleum and regulate electricity.

That is why I wonder at the motives of our policy makers. If they fix electricity and we have adequate power, then at N7.50k per KWH, it w
ould make more sense to drive electric cars, buses and bikes.
some monkey brains will be commenting as if we nigerians are monkeys like them.

So u mean u are going to plug ur car to electricity while driving ?

And u commented like a learned person. Msceeeeew, an ignoramous learned person.

Is that the solution to power issue ?

Right now majority of Nigerians are paying electricity bill even if they are not supplied in 3 months. So why increasing it by 400% again.

some people are just dumb and mediocre, whatever PDP/government says is the final. The full definition of born-to-be-slaves.

Jerk off
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by CarlosVent(m): 4:54pm On Jan 13, 2012
hahaahaahhahha i laugh in OBJ style.
WHen this man came out to protest every one in one of the thread that wrote about it seconded and liked him and wished if he were to be out president.

now they are raining courses on him. listen for this country to develop people must get the pain. Development musn't come easy.

If El Rufai were to be d president of this country his own subsidy removal will hike and fuel price will be sold at 250/ltr.

Pls lets stop fighting GEJ we elected him lets allow him breathing space to make the right decisions. yes it hurts but subsequently things will get normal.
Laughs.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by islamrules(m): 5:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
And people dont give a dung to pay 500% if they are supplied constant power.

Just ensure power is stable and increase it to 500% and see if people are gonna complain or not.

400% my as, s, the same Oil subsidy approach.

Why cant governement sacrifice first.

government always want the masses to feel the pain of their decisions even if the decision wont work out at the end of the day.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Maximip(m): 5:43pm On Jan 13, 2012
You can tell the guy is actually intelligent.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Yomboy4ever(m): 6:27pm On Jan 13, 2012
Remii:

If electricity is improved, yes, price increased of 100 - 200% is okay, provided you use prepaid meter.  I use N5000 worth of units card for more than a month when PHCN gives about 18 hrs daily average supply. The cost to fill about 6hrs average amount to about N30,000 per month, so for me paying N15,000 per month for 24hrs light is good deal.

15000k 24hrs gud buz even if ur minimum wage is 18000# abi bawo?.
Mschewwwww
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by PHIPEX(m): 6:33pm On Jan 13, 2012
And Bakare is asking for Uncle Jona to be impeached so that El rufai will take over. I can bet that if Buhari were to be in power with Elrufai and people are misbehaving on the street as we are seeing, Libya would'v been a joke cos he would'v viewed it as a disrespect and indisciplin, remember his WAI; Femi Falana would'v recieved 39 strokes of cain while NLC president would be on a regular Official visit to Kirikiri.
If El rufai did not ask the govt to improve power supply before introducing this his policy why is he insisting that the refinaries most work before fuel deregulation? Is that not gross hypocricy? Soon, I mean very soon God will also expose Bakare's real motive. WOLVES IN SHEEP CLOTHING!
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 6:50pm On Jan 13, 2012
PHIPEX:

And Bakare is asking for Uncle Jona to be impeached so that El rufai will take over. I can bet that if Buhari were to be in power with Elrufai and people are misbehaving on the street as we are seeing, Libya would'v been a joke cos he would'v viewed it as a disrespect and indisciplin, remember his WAI; Femi Falana would'v recieved 39 strokes of cain while NLC president would be on a regular Official visit to Kirikiri.
If El rufai did not ask the govt to improve power supply before introducing this his policy why is he insisting that the refinaries most work before fuel deregulation? Is that not gross hypocricy? Soon, I mean very soon God will also expose Bakare's real motive. WOLVES IN SHEEP CLOTHING!
GBAM!!!
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by agabaI23(m): 7:08pm On Jan 13, 2012
Do you know how many people El Rufai sent to the villages across Nigeria. Did he care about the pains he was inflicting on the masses? I know a man who got a shop for 1million and it was demolished less than a year after. He is yet to recover economically.

Was it politically correct?
Most of the victims were not given time to even pack out. Others had no notice except the sound of a bulldozer.

He is a hypocrite.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by 989900: 7:13pm On Jan 13, 2012
If we ever want stable power supply, rates would definitely go up.

However, why is Rufai giving us the prices? Looks like they plan plowing  back their stolen money back into the system to make more, which in overall objectiveness is better than stashing it away in foreign accounts. (If the new wave of awareness and revolt does not push them all into some 7 by 7 cell)

Time to switch off those bulbs you ain't using at the moment. . .time to remember to switch off all electrical appliances when leaving home,  . .time for responsibility and accountability.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by kizito96(m): 7:20pm On Jan 13, 2012
Are you sure he said this?
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Orikinla(m): 7:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
Ignorance has done more harm to Nigerians than corruption.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by muami(m): 7:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
kizito96:

Are you sure he said this?

Of course he did. I have reproduced another link to the report (Thisday).
Ironically, the NERC boss disagreed with him then and adviced him that you need to enlighteb people before increasing price.

Former Director-General of Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) and former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, has said for the country to be able to attract investors into the power sector, electricity tariffs need to go up by between 300 and 400 per cent.

El-Rufai said for the country to move forward in the provision of electricity to its populace, the National Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) must do that which was needful by having the courage to increase the tariff irrespective of how politically incorrect it might be.

According to him, this was imperative because even if all of the oil revenues in the country were ploughed into the power sector alone, it would not be sufficient to provide its needs of that sector.

He said the only alternative was to attract foreign direct investment, which would not come unless the tariff was eye-catching enough to entice them.

El-Rufai, who spoke at the first Distinguished Visitors’ Programme organised by NERC in Abuja Thursday, also said the power sector was capable of fetching 10 times the $200 billion realised so far from the telecommunications sector and the $2 billion it realised from licensing.

The first Distinguished Visitors’ Programme had as its theme, “Electricity on Demand.”
“Your success will lay the foundation for electricity in this country,” el-Rufai told NERC. “If you get it right, electricity will be the next big thing in Nigeria.”

He lamented that the electricity situation in Nigeria was worse now than it was in 1999, and noted that the way the Chairman of the regulatory body, Dr. Sam Amadi, handled it would determine the future of the country.
The former minister of the FCT, however, stated that no foreign investor would come to the country unless the issue of insecurity in the country was addressed.

“Right now, nobody will come because the perception outside is that Nigeria is a land of killings, a land of kidnappings,” he said. “Security must be provided. We must make this country safer.”

Cautioning that the Nigerian public service had a way of trying to make the officials not to perform, el-Rufai counselled the NERC helmsman to see that the work got done as doing so was far more important than any other consideration.

He advised him to identify directors within his organisation that were not ready for change and fire them, even if it meant getting the law amended, and reward those that were ready to move with the tide of change.

He asked Amadi to draw inspiration from his unilateral abolition of the Ministry of the FCT by convincing then-President Olusegun Obasanjo that it was an encumbrance, adding that what was essential was for the principal to believe in him.

El-Rufai noted that to have the needed courage to do that which is right, the chief executives of public institutions like NERC should have something to fall back on, pointing out that he was able to have his way with Obasanjo because the former president knew that he could quit the job at any moment.

He said the former leader knew that it would have been more dangerous for him to leave in controversial circumstances as he would then have gone public with much unsavoury information.

“Those in charge knew we didn’t need the job, hence the leaders couldn’t dispose of us easily,” he said. “They treat people badly when they know you have nowhere else to go. I didn’t care who I hurt in the process of enforcing the Abuja master plan. You must be in a position where you can say I will walk away.”

However, Amadi appeared to differ from el-Rufai’s approach to tariff increase as he explained that there was need to build legitimacy for the process through enlightenment.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/el-rufai-electricity-tariff-needs-to-go-up-400-/88421/
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Waynita(f): 7:39pm On Jan 13, 2012
why are we so worked up, El rufai is like most politicians who are simply opportunist and jobbers . They all speak from both sides of the mouth whenever it suits them.

And yes, no doubt, he is a stark hypocrite
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by fasa2020(m): 7:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
Yomboy4ever:

15000k 24hrs gud buz even if your minimum wage is 18000# abi bawo?.
Mschewwwww

Forget, why do you need 24hrs light when you're using prepaid meter and its constant? Tell me ? You deliberately switched off when not in use to save cost !!
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Toks2008(m): 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
Talking about Electricity supply.

For me, i dont mind 400% increase because i am fed up.

I spend not less than 6k every week fueling my Generators amounting to 24k monthly and i presently do monthly donation of N700 to PHCN for 8hrs supply every week.

So 700 x 4 = N2,800 for stable supply of electricity. Abeg i will even pay N5000 saving about 20k. El Rufai is very correct.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by Rad1cal: 7:56pm On Jan 13, 2012
Toks2008:

Talking about Electricity supply.

For me, i dont mind 400% increase because i am fed up.

I spend not less than 6k every week fueling my Generators amounting to 24k monthly and i presently do monthly donation of N700 to PHCN for 8hrs supply every week.

So 700 x 4 = N2,800 for stable supply of electricity. Abeg i will even pay N5000 saving about 20k. El Rufai is very correct.

And he is very wrong about the fuel subsidy, [/b]because the energy sector was and is still moribund when he made that [b]very correct declaration.
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by clip: 7:58pm On Jan 13, 2012
They can increase any thing that they want to increase as long as they can fight corruption to lowest
Re: El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff by reporter1: 8:27pm On Jan 13, 2012
What El Rufai is proposing is not rocket science -increase electricity tariffs to attract private investors to come in and revamp the moribund PHCN.  No private investors will commit their money into any unprofitable venture.

As per fuel subsidy; his position is similar to that of many Nigerians; phase out the subsidy gradually to cushion the sudden effect on regular Joe who requires petrol for everything. Truly, Nigeria govt should get out of commercial business, all these parastatals breed is corruption.

For those comparing the two products:  apples and oranges, two different products.  One is a natural occurring resource while the other is a generated resource. Nigeria produces oil and does not generate enough electricity to begin with. How can a nation subsidize what it does not produce enough of?

Petrol can subsidized it if the govt can get its act together by removing excessive wastage. Electricity on the other hand has to be financed through private initiatives, and the only way to make it attractive to investors is to raise tariffs enough to cover costs and leave room for profit. I am not sure about 400 % though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC State Chairmen From Northwest Endorse Ganduje For Chairman Position / APC Raps FG Over Abandonment Of Enugu Coal Deposit / I Can’t Be Cowed By Federal Agencies – Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.